As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Game of the Year season in the [Giant Bomb] thread

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Shoemaker as an entity was entirely subsumed into hegemonic swarm that is DOTA2 months ago, anything it mentions that is not DOTA2 is simply a smokescreen to lower your defences

moba players working together is a patently ridiculous notion, let alone forming a shared consciousness or hive mind

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Brad is a monster and must be stopped

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh man Giant Bomb thread! Yay!

I played the Bayonetta 2 Demo today. Boy is that game crazy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Quick reminder that Jeff put a game he didn't actually play on his 2012 list.

I don't remember anyone being too upset at that.

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    I bought Luftrausers and Nuclear Throne because of the GOTY discussions and they are, indeed, fun. Assassins in Nuclear Throne are fucking garbage though.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Brad is a monster and must be stopped
    Forget it, Toons.

It's Dotatown.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Brad is okay and he's allowed to like whatever game he wants for his personal list, but man putting a game that didn't come out this year on it is silly.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    kind of defeats the purpose of a goty list

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Well, it's game of the year not game that came out this year

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Eh, he's just fucking with everyone that gives him shit about playing a lot of Dota.

• Options
    See, you're all complaining about a game not from this year being on the goty list

I'm more worried that Dota 2 has transcended time itself.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's really pulling out all the stops to desperately try and beat league

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Dota doesn't really need to beat league I don't think

I wouldn't describe anything about its current situation as 'desperate' other than 'desperately trying to find room for all this money'

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    If he wants to say it was the best game he played this year that is his call but I think they need an intervention.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

and it'll all be for naught now that Smite's here heh 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think there's enough room in the moba market for 2 games to survive
    and smite I guess

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The Giant Bomb thread's back! It's a New Years' Miracle!

Which means... there has to be a New Years' Catastrophe to balance the karmic scales

Earlier this year, I did battle with Sonic '06, and boldy triumphed over that wretched dragon.

But now it's returned, more powerful than ever

but i'm more powerful too, with two big bosses and a foxhound rank under my belt

it's time

to settle this

what i'm getting at here is i'm streaming sonic boom:

• Options
    It's honestly a tiny miracle that, of all of Hi-Rez's games to actually be successful, it was their attempt at a moba.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Bayonetta is a better game than dragon age

Steak is better than a nice summers day

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    It's honestly a tiny miracle that, of all of Hi-Rez's games to actually be successful, it was their attempt at a moba.

I miss smite

are they still making money?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I like Brad's top pick

Anything else would not have felt genuine

• Options

I miss smite

are they still making money?

Sure seems like it.

They've been crowdfunding the prize pool for the first world tournament through the sales of limited time cosmetic items, and it's nearly 2.5 million at this point.

Bearing in mind that only part of each sale goes to the prize pool, and the rest is pure profit, I'd say they're doing pretty well.

• Options
    well it would have been destiny otherwise

which is, you know

• Options
    Jars wrote: »

which is, you know

Not as good as Dota 2 in Brad's eyes

Brad picks apart Destiny's flaws and openly recognizes them but still continues to play

Dota 2 has him completely in its grips, he praises every little change they make like it's the second coming of video games

And you know what?

That's awesome, I'm glad he can get that into a game. It is a nice reminder that he is not without passion for games

• Options

which is, you know

Brad's love of Destiny makes me wonder if he's ever taken Warframe for a spin.

• Options
    It also calls to mind a discussion I had earlier this year in this thread with...I believe it was @I needed a gnome to post.‌ about what should be constituted as a game from this year, and I think I've fallen onto his side of things

The new mode with the assassination contracts that Brad mentioned a few weeks back sounds like it fundamentally changes the game, much more than, say, Reaper of Souls did for Diablo III

And would any of us bat an eye if someone put The Last of Us: Left Behind or the new WoW expansion on their list?

Dota 2 is not a static game, it's constantly changing, and if the changes were substantial enough to keep him playing in 2014, then it is totally viable as a game "from this year"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Talos Principle is probably my favorite game this year, and it makes me sad that due to it coming out after the deliberations but before the end of the year, the best it can hope for an "Old game" award NEXT GotY, which suck both because it cannot be considered for any awards like best music or whatever, but also because it has to deal with whatever crazy old stuff the GB crew gets up to next year.

I just really want to see that game get as much facetime as possible. :(

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    You guys have no idea how much I've missed this thread.

• Options
    You guys have no idea how much I've missed this thread.

Me too dude

• Options
    it's a bit of a bummer that I know none of the bombers have played or possibly even heard of my favorite game this year

• Options
    don't play anime

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    it's a bit of a bummer that I know none of the bombers have played or possibly even heard of my favorite game this year

what is your game of the year jars

• Options
    dragonfall

• Options
    I'm pretty sure at least someone on GB did play the original shadowrun module but yeah they may not have

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'll have to think of my own game of the year list before the year is out.

Big question for me is if I limit it to just videogames, or games in general.

• Options
    I don't play a whole lot of new releases so I don't really bother with lists because they end up being "the 6 new games I played this year minus the one I didn't like"

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I am playing through Dragonfall right now and it is super darn swell. Playin' a rad decker lady named DataJill. Beating up racists. Petting a doggie.

I am having a very fine time.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I don't play a whole lot of new releases so I don't really bother with lists because they end up being "the 6 new games I played this year minus the one I didn't like"

Only reason why I might hit 10 videogames this year is due to this holiday steam sale.

Though I hit 10 easy if we let me count boardgames.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Only reason why I might hit 10 videogames this year is due to this holiday steam sale.

Though I hit 10 easy if we let me count boardgames.

well guest goty lists had D&D and Magic so you're open season

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular

which is, you know

Brad's love of Destiny makes me wonder if he's ever taken Warframe for a spin.

well, while both games have no story and tons of grind, destiny at least has fun base gameplay

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
This discussion has been closed.