As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread from last year....

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    In Cataclysm, the new zones were attached to old world zones, and if you tried to enter them without the expansion you just got teleported out of the zone.

I think it'd be really poor PR to support all this cross-platform play and force people to spend extra cash on versions for their consoles or PC, rather than just buying a key for your account that unlocks access across the board. There's no good reason not to do it besides thinking that they'll get more money forcing people to buy an expansion two twice than whatever good will a single purchase would get them.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    PS4 interface question(s):

Is there a way to make the map bigger than when I just press []? Pressing that makes it bigger than the circular minimap, but I'd like to make it a lot bigger when I press []. I've tried tapping on the lower left corner icon with the touchpad, but that's so finicky.

Is there a way to ask the various GHOST people I see around Ul'dah for an FC invite?

Easiest way for an invite is to find any Ghost member (We are everywhere but our FC house is in the Mists, Ward 2, plot 5) and bring up the Company Profile info on them. From there you can submit an application directly. Just mention PA in the app and it'll be approved.

How do I bring up the company profile?

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    PS4 interface question(s):

Is there a way to make the map bigger than when I just press []? Pressing that makes it bigger than the circular minimap, but I'd like to make it a lot bigger when I press []. I've tried tapping on the lower left corner icon with the touchpad, but that's so finicky.

Is there a way to ask the various GHOST people I see around Ul'dah for an FC invite?

Easiest way for an invite is to find any Ghost member (We are everywhere but our FC house is in the Mists, Ward 2, plot 5) and bring up the Company Profile info on them. From there you can submit an application directly. Just mention PA in the app and it'll be approved.

How do I bring up the company profile?

Not sure on PS4 but it should be a similar option to "View Search info" or some similar option when you select another player. When you view their gear for instance on PC you can click on the Free Company name for more info on the Free Company. On PS4 you would (I think) need to navigate to the Free Company name and interact with it.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    fdP7YBK.png

The fashion sense is real.

488W936.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    oh you used a fantasia? noticeable improvement there

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Edit: nevermind, sorted it out.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    oh you used a fantasia? noticeable improvement there

oh no you di'int

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Still better than the walking potatoes they call Lalafels.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    If I went Elezen it would be a female, not that you can always tell the difference unless you're like that fellow up there.

And I wouldn't change race because I have some loyalty to Twin and the Blue Nyans and their rarity compared to other Nyans and the walking potatoes.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Pale nyans are a dime a dozen.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'm a pale blue nyan.

• Options
    I'm almost a level 11 GLD. I'm loving it so far. What should I spend my ability points on?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I'm almost a level 11 GLD. I'm loving it so far. What should I spend my ability points on?
    Vitality.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Initially I'd say Strength. It'll help in generating threat and just getting stuff dead faster. When you're doing the low level dungeons, there's a good chance you're going to have some level synched ridiculously geared player. Or maybe someone who's levelling an alt and has every single offensive cross class skill for their level 20 Ninja and are going to be pushing really high damage for the level. More damage from the tank makes it easier to hold aggro and I'd say unless you want to be doing progression style pushing, you can probably stay all strength.

Personally I swapped to 15/15 STR/VIT when I hit 50 and was just focused on the dungeons. However, since I'm involved in the FC's Casper runs, ending up as a tank in some cases like this past weekend; going to 30 VIT was helpful in getting a bit more survivability when we're single tanking fights that were designed for two tanks. The difference is about 600HP or so, so it's a not-insignificant amount when you are just level 50 and don't have great gear, but it gets less important as you climb the item levels. After a point, 30 stat points is just the two rings.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    It's anecdotal and all, but I only just hit 44 on my PLD. GLA was a pain to keep aggro with, even with the improvements to flash that they made. But initially I'd listened to stat vitality argument. About lvl 33 or so i made the change to full strength for stats and saw a noticeable improvement in hate management (especially when thrown in low for me lvl dungeons). Part of that was the stats, but part of that was prolly just me growing as a tank. Having higher strength definitely seemed to help though.

Every dungeon depends on the party make-up, but I find anything pre-Shield Oath (lvl 40) gets hairy without a decent amount of flash spam. Like a flash every third or fourth skill kind of thing. But with a good group following your marks, you can ease back so long as you still watch out for healer aggro.

I guess what I mean to contribute coincides with the tail end of Takel's argument. I don't think the stats make a great bit of difference except at the beginning, and there strength prolly gives you the more bang for your buck. Ultimately though, even with low lvl it's mostly about attention and adaption during play. Stat points from lvling aren't likely to make or break ya.

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

Straight STR for levelling to 50. If you really need to, go half and half, but at 50, when you're still learning the ropes, and until you get better gear, you might wanna pour it into VIT.

Another tip, stick with armor that is available ONLY for GLD/MRD/WAR/PLD when levelling. It has loads more DEF than general DoW armor and that helps immensely. When I was levelling BLM, I noticed a ton of tanks in dungeons with half DPS gear and half tank gear. Hell, sometimes full DPS gear (meant for DRG/MNK).

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pale nyans are a dime a dozen.
    Pale man is, thankfully, quite rare.
    XYlvG55.jpg

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Oh Del Toro you so cray.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Oh also earlier I decided to start ALC desynth leveling and trying to actually make one of my 50 crafters useful for making money. One of the things I'll need to do later to level that desynth skill is disintegrate a boatload of primal stuff, particularly Arcanist books. And what should my best geared retainer bring me to mark this auspicious occasion but this:

agelVk5.png

Luciane; best Archer guildmaster, best retainer.

488W936.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    clearly he had titan on farm already

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So what's the deal with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHm_r_G5nKU

• Options
    That fight is all about dodging. There's no agro table.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »

Yup, and fun fact that dungeon in particular can be run without a Tank at all. It would be slower but it's entirely doable. All three Boss fights have very little focused damage on the threat target (Hell the second and third bosses are not actually "tanked" at all)

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

All I could think of,

th?id=HN.608003782806013121&pid=15.1&P=0

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    So it's a whole lot of nothing special?

• Options
    So it's a whole lot of nothing special?

For the most part yeah. Everything the final boss does is avoidable and has tells. There aren't any AoE marks but base don the animations the boss uses you can tell what he is about to do and move to avoid it.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Esh wrote: »

Straight STR for levelling to 50. If you really need to, go half and half, but at 50, when you're still learning the ropes, and until you get better gear, you might wanna pour it into VIT.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the bold.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    He means to reassign your points from STR to VIT at fity.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options

You can respec your points later on. Generally you want to put it all into STR as you level since the hardest thing for a GLD as they level is holding threat (until they get all their threat abilities). More STR helps with that. However once you hit 50 the content becomes much harder and will require you to have more health so you will want to switch your points into VIT to gain the extra HP. Once you gear up a bit and are more familiar with the content you are tackling you can switch it back over to STR as your experience and gear will make up the difference.

Then when you are even more geared and much more experienced you can even start switching out your VIT gear for more STR gear depending on the content you are fighting.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

All I could think of,

Man, that chatbox. Do they not know the mechanics of the fight? Granted if he got hit once or twice he would've been dead, but still.

I mean, if someone started the fun boss fight....I'd be pissed. I wanna have fun too. :(

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Alternately they got knocked out of the fight promptly and respawned

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Hey, I've done that, though as a PLD.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »

All I could think of,

Man, that chatbox. Do they not know the mechanics of the fight? Granted if he got hit once or twice he would've been dead, but still.

I mean, if someone started the fun boss fight....I'd be pissed. I wanna have fun too. :(

Well you need to take note that there is only one boss there. That means what actually happened is the other 3 died during the fight (either right before or after the first one died) and the BLM finished off the last one by himself, the BLM didn't start the fight without them.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular

All I could think of,

Well you need to take note that there is only one boss there. That means what actually happened is the other 3 died during the fight (either right before or after the first one died) and the BLM finished off the last one by himself, the BLM didn't start the fight without them.

I'm actually not too impressed by that video. Ranged have it far easier on that fight simply because only one telegraph you need to watch out for. The rest you just keep at ranged. Also, the fact that there's only one mob in there means the hard part is already taken care of. Keeping an eye on two of those things especially then they decide to spam fireballs is a lot more 'interesting'.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    It's amazing how many get hit by fireballs though.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i sometimes confuse the tail whip and clawslash though but if i'm the "tank" then who cares I have a billion health

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Yup, and fun fact that dungeon in particular can be run without a Tank at all. It would be slower but it's entirely doable. All three Boss fights have very little focused damage on the threat target (Hell the second and third bosses are not actually "tanked" at all)
    Faster actually as long as you don't wipe. The extra damage, especially on the last boss with his stupid amounts of HP is really nice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how many get hit by fireballs though.

Well, to be fair, when the second one shows up its quite easy to lose one when its doing the gathering in motion. by the time his arms are up to his face, you are getting hit no matter where you move.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options

Faster actually as long as you don't wipe. The extra damage, especially on the last boss with his stupid amounts of HP is really nice.

I don't think it would be faster than actual speed runs though. There are some big pulls you can only do with Tank mitigation and threat in there. For the Bosses sure, but for the overall dungeon speed I think the fastest would be with a Tank and big AoE pulls.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    He means to reassign your points from STR to VIT at fity.

You can respec your points later on. Generally you want to put it all into STR as you level since the hardest thing for a GLD as they level is holding threat (until they get all their threat abilities). More STR helps with that. However once you hit 50 the content becomes much harder and will require you to have more health so you will want to switch your points into VIT to gain the extra HP. Once you gear up a bit and are more familiar with the content you are tackling you can switch it back over to STR as your experience and gear will make up the difference.

Then when you are even more geared and much more experienced you can even start switching out your VIT gear for more STR gear depending on the content you are fighting.

Okay, cool. I didn't know you could respec the points down the line.

This discussion has been closed.