As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cunning disguises

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I need a second opinion on this (the first opinion is mine).

I kind of want to buy a pair of non-firing Single Action Army replicas, but I am unsure what the legal status of such a thing would be.

Here.

In NYC.

Is it for some sort of costume?

You might be able to find a pair of matching toy revolvers on Amazon and then trick them out a little. If you want to do something like flips and tricks like Revolver Ocelot, you would need something with realistic weight and balance and that's going to cost a pretty penny. The closest thing I can think of is an airsoft replica.

A quick Google search shows at least five online retailers, none of them expensive for trick-training but much more costly than it's worth for a one-off costume.

It's because I want to learn gun-spinning, yes. It doesn't really matter to me if it's airsoft, blank-firing, or just a non-firing prop, but I'm fairly certain it's illegal to own the first two without a license. I'm not sure about the third.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

I kind of want to buy a pair of non-firing Single Action Army replicas, but I am unsure what the legal status of such a thing would be.

Here.

In NYC.

Is it for some sort of costume?

You might be able to find a pair of matching toy revolvers on Amazon and then trick them out a little. If you want to do something like flips and tricks like Revolver Ocelot, you would need something with realistic weight and balance and that's going to cost a pretty penny. The closest thing I can think of is an airsoft replica.

A quick Google search shows at least five online retailers, none of them expensive for trick-training but much more costly than it's worth for a one-off costume.

It's because I want to learn gun-spinning, yes. It doesn't really matter to me if it's airsoft, blank-firing, or just a non-firing prop, but I'm fairly certain it's illegal to own the first two without a license. I'm not sure about the third.

does this desire stem from playing MGS3?

because that's what got me all interested about it as a teen

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Airsoft I'm pretty sure you can own without a license, those might be required to have an orange tip though - I forget what the rules are for that.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Airsoft I'm pretty sure you can own without a license, those might be required to have an orange tip though - I forget what the rules are for that.

Airsoft legally requires an orange tip in most states, yes, but even if your state doesn't, it's still a good idea to have them in place.

Trippy, check out the Marushin line of SAA's, they all look pretty damn close to the real deal, the weight varies per model and components (the two I saw right off were 484 grams and 575 grams). Given their size and comparative weight, they look right up your alley for trick-training and they are functional airsoft pistols that run off compressed air. Authentically accurate, they have a six shot maximum capacity and that leads me to believe that they might actually be of proper balance. In addition, they operate like an actual SAA in so far that there is only one chamber available to be reloaded at a time from the aperture on the right hand side of the pistol and the cylinder itself needs to be rotated.

You're looking at anywhere from $100-200 USD per pistol, so you might want to do a little more research, but I hope this is a step in the right direction for you.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    You can probably buy authentic non-functioning replica pistolas somewhere.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    You can probably buy authentic non-functioning replica pistolas somewhere.

it's a sad state of affairs to live in

where my first reaction to this is: "Unless he's black. Because cops might shoot him."

put that on the list with bananas, angled sticks, and finger-guns

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    here's an idea:

don't play with gun-like objects in public.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »
    here's an idea:

don't play with gun-like objects in public.

I presume he's going to be practicing at home, MOM.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I am literally getting something so I can gunspin and make bang bang shooty noises with my mouth in the privacy of my own home.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    I will also very likely be spouting off Ocelot lines.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I am literally getting something so I can gunspin and make bang bang shooty noises with my mouth in the privacy of my own home.

fucking lmao if you don't do that with your dick

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Helicopter dick.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm going to start carrying a gunsword with me everywhere I go.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Helicopter dick.

you spin me right round, baby, right round :whistle:

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    Today I get to have dinner with my super annoying grandma who literally talks for hours and hours

I was volunteered for it by my mom since she's in town

Apparently I was volunteered long enough ago that it made it into grandma's Christmas card

I guess I probably should have read it when it arrived like two weeks ago...

Update: it was awful

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    On the plus side, today we took Lando out for a fun day at the dog park then lunch and we wore him out so well that he's laying on top of me on the couch and snoring.

• Options
    D'awww.

• Options
    Also here is an article loaded with pictures and vines of a baby and and a puppy napping together.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/15/theo-and-beau-photos-jessica-shyba_n_4280736.html

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Some months later.

Goatmon on

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

Here.

In NYC.

A friend of mine here in New York has a sibling pair of firing SAA's (like they have consecutive serial numbers), so I cant imagine that non-firing replicas would be illegal.

I have a non-firing Schofield replica.

EDIT: Missed the deeper discussion. My Schofield replica could pass for a real gun, perfectly legal to own. Probably wouldn't be legal for me to go waving around, but I got it cuz it was my favorite gun in Red Dead Redemption so...

Inx on
  • Options
    Inx wrote: »

Here.

In NYC.

A friend of mine here in New York has a sibling pair of firing SAA's (like they have consecutive serial numbers), so I cant imagine that non-firing replicas would be illegal.

Okay, let me ask a very specific question.

New York, or New York City?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Inx wrote: »

Here.

In NYC.

Okay, let me ask a very specific question.

New York, or New York City?

Fair enough question. Long Island. Mileage may vary in the city itself, I hadn't considered that.

But if you're just dicking around with it at home, you probably won't have any issues.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Hey let's play a game where you're thankful for things that most people wouldn't think to be thankful for:

I'm thankful that dead roaches float on coffee

Okay your turn

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I wished my in-laws would get the hint and quit trying to convince me that their homeopathic snake oil of the week is something I need. I've gone from mildly disinterested to actively annoyed and it's looking like I'll need to move on to dickishly aggressive in my responses when they offer it.

Stop being nice about it and tell them why homeopathy is bullshit.

I've said this before but I am unabashedly rude to people who believe in homeopathy

It has triggered more than a few arguments between my wife and I

I legitimately expect it to cause a divorce one day

Someone at my work was talking about it and I was like oh lord

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    One of my co-workers is into Bitcoin.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Hey let's play a game where you're thankful for things that most people wouldn't think to be thankful for:

Okay your turn

I'm thankful I don't drink coffee for the time being and also that my coffee never had roaches in it.

I think.

• Options

Okay your turn

I'm thankful I don't drink coffee for the time being and also that my coffee never had roaches in it.

I think.

probably just some extra dirt and faint notes of gunpowder

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I wished my in-laws would get the hint and quit trying to convince me that their homeopathic snake oil of the week is something I need. I've gone from mildly disinterested to actively annoyed and it's looking like I'll need to move on to dickishly aggressive in my responses when they offer it.

Stop being nice about it and tell them why homeopathy is bullshit.

I've said this before but I am unabashedly rude to people who believe in homeopathy

It has triggered more than a few arguments between my wife and I

I legitimately expect it to cause a divorce one day

...someone.. that I live with... believes, or did the single time I ever brought it up 3 years ago, there is some credit to the antivaxxing movement

I swear shes an amazing woman

(god don't let her see this post)

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Make her listen to the sawbones vax episode

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Okay your turn

Ants float too, for which I was grateful a long while back.

Right now, I'm grateful my family has kept their distance this holiday season.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »

Okay your turn

Ants float too, for which I was grateful a long while back.

Right now, I'm grateful my family has kept their distance this holiday season.

I'll drink an ant

• Options
    Ants taste sort of citrus-y, or like pickles. They have acid blood.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    One of my co-workers is into Bitcoin.

An old coworker of mine put her car up for sale

and she was only accepting bitcoin

she was interviewed on local news about it

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Make her listen to the sawbones vax episode

Eh given that she ignored the vitamins one I don't think that would work

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    because the exchange rate fluctuates, it is possible to make quite a bit of money with bitcoin.

in the same way you would shorting trash stocks.

on a long enough time line, with an automated system and a good amount of liquid up front, it's actually quite simple.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I had a boss once explain to me in detail how our work was haunted and all her theories about the ghosts and whanot.

And I wanted to sass her so badly, but, I mean. She was my boss.

Had to bite my tongue recently with a customer who interrogated me about like, nearly everything we sold and its gluten content (including our milk) and then, after ordering a large milk drink, informed me that I should be careful about milk because it causes mucous build up.

Smile and nod, smile and nod.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    An ex-coworker of mine once claimed to have seen a werewolf while they were walking their patrol.

They were completely serious.

edit: they were literally scared and got someone from another department to come check the area out with them. We were, and probably still are, the laughingstock of the nuclear power plant.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Quite a few years ago I had to explain to an extremely smart, entirely wonderful friend of mine, with a PHD in political science from a world class university

why viruses and bacteria are different, why Vaccines weren't creating Antibacterial Resistant Infections, why people don't get the flu from flu vaccines, why the benefits outweigh the risks

and basically a crash course in critical thinking.

She listened, she absorbed, she understood. But she didn't change her stance. She has since accepted vaccination and a lot of science based medicine as something of a "necessary evil", because she's a human rights advocate and understands that it is the most effective at helping the most people for the least amount of time and money. She still doesn't really trust it, still thinks she can sure herself with positive thinking and kale.

Nobody is immune to thinking dumb stuff, nobody can be forced to change their minds. People can come around to a new way of thinking, but there's no silver bullet. And seriously, it's not just a matter of explaining it in the perfect way. Some people don't want it explained to them.