As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Very Apocalyptic Christmas: A Do-It-Yourself [Miniphalla]. GAME OVER! Mafia Victory

14567810»

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Self guard and unable to convert I didn't think was too far of a stretch for a villager role. I just didn't realize Retaba said the same thing, heh. Originally, the plan was to claim full guard powers, but I kept running into Premium (who I assume was the guard) and couldn't claim yet another guard role to the network when they already had a real guard.

Here's my original write up for the role:
    You are Stone.

Stone_fig.jpg

Basically, you’re the biggest badass on the planet. You’re on the cover of Deadlands and a time-traveling, good guy killing, cold son of a bitch. The Reckoners had to cheat to create Hell on Earth, but you’re the reason why they eventually win because of your skill with a six-iron. You are Death’s chosen Servitor.

Powers:
    I Give Exactly Zero Fucks: I am neither mafia or village aligned.
    Young Stone, meet Old Stone, Old Stone, meet Young Stone: Look, I ain't no genius when it comes to time travel and paradoxes give me a headache. Let's cut to the chase: Once per game, I may ignore any 1 action that would result in my death.
    Death Becomes You: See, Old Stone has a funny code of "honor". He only kills those of pure heart and stout courage. I may choose 1 person each night.

(if you choose to go in the Cult Direction):

If that person quotes me, mentions me, or engages in conversation with me either in thread or in PM, I plug a hole in 'em. They're as dead as dead can be.
    Harrowed are my bitch: Well, maybe not quite as dead as dead can be. Really, they "die" and come back harrowed (cult members). Truly bad hombres (the mafia) can't be converted in this manner and stay dead.

Win Con: See to it that Hell on Earth stays to pass (cult victory).

(if you choose to go in the SK direction):
    If that person quotes me, mentions me, or engages in conversation with me either in thread or in PM, I plug a hole in 'em. They're as dead as dead can be.

Win Con: Last Man standing. You have a reputation to uphold.

I'm guessing SK and Cult were popular roles. The neither village or mafia aligned part was tweeked so that I was immune to seers. The fact Aura seered me and I had to explain away my null result, I'm glad I had already came up with my excuse rather than doing it on the fly. I claimed to be the Templar Jo in disguise (which makes a ton of sense if you look into Deadlands: The Wasted West lore, Templar's judge all those worth helping before agreeing to help by dressing up as poor beggars or mutants).

In the end, I ruthlessly cut down my own team mates because it was the only option I had available and it worked just well enough to sneak through. I do feel bad about killing @Sir Fabulous because he asked me not to kill him, but he had my role wrong and there was no way I was confirming I was mafia to him because I didn't know until speaking with Alegis that basically we had 1 mafia, 2 neutrals, and 1 villager left.

@Auralynx played a great game and I was super annoyed we kept running into @Premium before I figured out he was the guard.

Assuran on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    You handled the endgame there really well. I was forced to use stuff like the tree-decoration and rapidly-changing vote calls to try to thin down who could be trusted, which isn't exactly ideal.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    IMO: Immunity to seering should NEVER be a mafia-ability in any phalla game!

Alegis on
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Alegis wrote: »

Immunity to seering at least sets off (or should set off) alarm bells. Full stop thralls just read village and are more destructive, IMO.

Note, I simply wanted to read Neutral when I made the role. Granted, it pretty much won the game for us.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I am heartily disappointed that my original role idea was almost entirely vetoed. You see, I wanted to be able to target a player; if that player had an ability and used it on someone else that night, then instead of the ability taking effect the target player received the power to use that ability for the rest of the game. There would have been much festive cheer!

Fun game, anyways. Good to be mafia again!

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting! It was fun, also Aural, I practically claimed what I was with a slight difference in name! It wasn't that out there!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    Thanks for hosting! It was fun, also Aural, I practically claimed what I was with a slight difference in name! It wasn't that out there!

Yeah, it was more that Alegis had a crazy ability, Bedlam claimed a crazy-but-useless ability, as did RGG, Assuran claimed a crazy pile of passive stuff... etc. It's a lot harder to guess which of those might be mafia at that point. Normally, yeah, "you got no result and it worked as intended," would've set me trying to kill him immediately, but in this game, I had no idea whether that was, like, normal.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah, some of those roles were much better than mine. Still sad I died so early :(

Thanks for running, roman and Egos!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Thanks Roman and Egos!

How did I die day 1? That was pretty damn disappointing, i must say. And it looks like I wasn't even targeted by the mafia... bus driver i'm assuming?

Also, do you have a list of presents or how they would work? i'm dying to know what shenanigans i missed out on.

@Auralynx‌ did you get a present day 1? What did it do? Also, you're welcome.

• romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    Here's a list of the gifts that were in the game. Pity so few of them made it in as the gift-givers died almost immediately.
    1: Secret Message Kit and Decoder: Send an anonymous message to someone. -nice-
    2: Megaphone: Become louder such that your Vote is worth double -nice
    3: Magnifying Glass: Study someones tracks finding out who they targetted that night.[Target Seer]-naughty
    4: Detective Costume. Allows the user to dress up as Sherlock Holmes and follow one person around for the night to see what they're up to. [Action Seer] -naughty
    5: Crystal ball. Reveals the identity of one person. [Name Seer] -nice
    6: Magician's Kit. Make someone disappear for the night! [Remove player for night. No actions can harm player but they also can't do anything] -nice
    7: 9-Iron. Club someone over the head with it! [Vig, tires the wielder out so they can't take any action the next day] -naughty
    8: Rabbit's Foot. Brings you good luck! [Self-guard] -nice
    9: MegaMegaphone. Shout loudly enough for all to hear! [Adds a custom line to narration of player's choosing] -nice
    10: Mannequin. It's dressed in the latest fashion from Old Navy. Might actually pass as a real person! [Seer as Village and taking no action] -naughty
    11. Ouija Board: Exchange one Question/Answer with a member of the dead. -naughty

1: Prepaid Cellphone: Send an anonymous message to someone.
    2:Rations: Gain influence that your Vote is worth double
    3: Security Room Key: Study someones tracks finding out who they targetted that night.[Target Seer]
    4: Inviso-Suit. Allows the user to dress up as Sherlock Holmes and follow one person around for the night to see what they're up to. [Action Seer]
    5: Secret Files. Reveals the identity of one person. [Name Seer]
    6: Tranq Gun. Make someone disappear for the night! [Remove player for night. No actions can harm player but they also can't do anything]
    7: 9-Iron. Club someone over the head with it! [Vig, tires the wielder out so they can't take any action the next day]
    8: Riot Shield. Brings you good luck! [Self-guard]

9: Comm Speaker Control. Shout loudly enough for all to hear! [Adds a custom line to narration of player's choosing]
    10: Disguise. It's dressed in the latest fashion from Old Navy. Might actually pass as a real person! [Seer as Village and taking no action]
    11. Relic of the Past: Exchange one Question/Answer with a member of the dead.
    12. Janitors cart: Choose a target, if they die that night you clean the corpse quick-smart and only you know how their kill is attributed. -naughty
    13. Alien Teleporter: Target is removed from the game immediately leaving no trace (in the narration or anything). -naughty
    14. Hitchhiker’s Guide: Limited Mechanics seer. -nice

To be honest, I expected it to not be that strong as the general expectation is immunity to seering=SK.

Burnage wrote: »
    I am heartily disappointed that my original role idea was almost entirely vetoed. You see, I wanted to be able to target a player; if that player had an ability and used it on someone else that night, then instead of the ability taking effect the target player received the power to use that ability for the rest of the game. There would have been much festive cheer!

Fun game, anyways. Good to be mafia again!

I had to change it because I wanted to make you mafia and it felt a bit strong for that. Also it was just generally kind of un-fun to anyone you target. Your post restriction was something that I think we disagreed a little on how much of a target it made you but was perhaps a little harsh in hindsight.

Assuran wrote: »
    Self guard and unable to convert I didn't think was too far of a stretch for a villager role. I just didn't realize Retaba said the same thing, heh. Originally, the plan was to claim full guard powers, but I kept running into Premium (who I assume was the guard) and couldn't claim yet another guard role to the network when they already had a real guard.

Here's my original write up for the role:
    You are Stone.

Stone_fig.jpg

Basically, you’re the biggest badass on the planet. You’re on the cover of Deadlands and a time-traveling, good guy killing, cold son of a bitch. The Reckoners had to cheat to create Hell on Earth, but you’re the reason why they eventually win because of your skill with a six-iron. You are Death’s chosen Servitor.

Powers:
    I Give Exactly Zero Fucks: I am neither mafia or village aligned.
    Young Stone, meet Old Stone, Old Stone, meet Young Stone: Look, I ain't no genius when it comes to time travel and paradoxes give me a headache. Let's cut to the chase: Once per game, I may ignore any 1 action that would result in my death.
    Death Becomes You: See, Old Stone has a funny code of "honor". He only kills those of pure heart and stout courage. I may choose 1 person each night.

(if you choose to go in the Cult Direction):

Harrowed are my bitch: Well, maybe not quite as dead as dead can be. Really, they "die" and come back harrowed (cult members). Truly bad hombres (the mafia) can't be converted in this manner and stay dead.

Win Con: See to it that Hell on Earth stays to pass (cult victory).

(if you choose to go in the SK direction):

Win Con: Last Man standing. You have a reputation to uphold.

I'm guessing SK and Cult were popular roles. The neither village or mafia aligned part was tweeked so that I was immune to seers. The fact Aura seered me and I had to explain away my null result, I'm glad I had already came up with my excuse rather than doing it on the fly. I claimed to be the Templar Jo in disguise (which makes a ton of sense if you look into Deadlands: The Wasted West lore, Templar's judge all those worth helping before agreeing to help by dressing up as poor beggars or mutants).

In the end, I ruthlessly cut down my own team mates because it was the only option I had available and it worked just well enough to sneak through. I do feel bad about killing @Sir Fabulous because he asked me not to kill him, but he had my role wrong and there was no way I was confirming I was mafia to him because I didn't know until speaking with Alegis that basically we had 1 mafia, 2 neutrals, and 1 villager left.

@Auralynx played a great game and I was super annoyed we kept running into @Premium before I figured out he was the guard.

I didn't want a cult this year, as there's been one nearly every other year and there was competition for the SK roles. Mostly this role was just too powerful. I toyed with the idea of a zombie mechanic for a day but couldn't come up with anything that didn't feel bad. Mostly what you submitted was just a little too powerful though and so got pruned a little. That said, you played the end-game well and deserved the win.

edited December 2014
    JPants wrote: »
    Thanks Roman and Egos!

How did I die day 1? That was pretty damn disappointing, i must say. And it looks like I wasn't even targeted by the mafia... bus driver i'm assuming?

Also, do you have a list of presents or how they would work? i'm dying to know what shenanigans i missed out on.

Auralynx‌ did you get a present day 1? What did it do? Also, you're welcome.

I could ask a dead person one question with "A Relic of the Past." They didn't have to answer honestly. It was useless.

It ended up being a reminder from Langly to drink Ovaltine.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited December 2014
    I think I have to award best role to @Sir Fabulous with second place going to @Egos for some pretty good images. Bravo!

romanqwerty on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Haha, thanks Roman.

For everyone who doesn't know, the role I got was almost completely unaltered from the one I sent in. I think the only things that changed were the names of Paul's abilities (Originally "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "I Feel Fine" instead of "Helter Skelter" and "Yesterday") because the ones I sent in didn't work with bbcode.

I actually expected my role to be changed a bit, so some of my abilities were a little more vague than I expected. I developed my role from more of a flavour standpoint rather than a mechanics standpoint.

In the end, I screwed myself over by sleeping through the day after Christmas and not taking advantage of my [Eleanor Rigby] power. I planned to talk with @Mikey CTS‌ and try to get the role names of some other mafia members.

Ah, the proud tradition of saying "Well, I could have won if this one thing had gone differently."

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Thanks for running guys. Had a blast.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Yeah there was no way I was going to screw over the mafia after my death.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Also congrats to my mafia comrades and good job!

And very much thanks to the hosts, though I didn't get to stay long.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    Special thanks to @MrTLicious‌ and @premium for making me actually something close to an immortal AI with all the guards and other hijinks, now that I've read the mafia proboard!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Thanks for running!

I had no idea what was going on and then I died. So clearly everything worked as intended.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Thanks Roman and Egos!

You were the mafia's group kill. Cythraul was their leader's.

Orders were sent via pm

Egos on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Thanks Roman and Egos!

Auralynx‌ did you get a present day 1? What did it do? Also, you're welcome.

I could ask a dead person one question with "A Relic of the Past." They didn't have to answer honestly. It was useless.

It ended up being a reminder from Langly to drink Ovaltine.

My gift was a mannequin.
    This was also useless, as my role specifically informed people who were targeted by my active power (become a pinata if you died tonight), and I was villager anyway.
    Hence the attempted giveaway day 2 (whereupon I learned that gift transfers couldn't happen at night, or at least that you died at :00 if killed).

discrider on
    Auralynx wrote: »
    In theory, I believe at least, one could have prefaced their question with something that might make the person on the other side more willing to talk. Still it depended on who you got and their mood/feelings regarding such things.
    Gizzy wrote: »
    Not that it matters .. but I never got this message - Once a promise is affirmatively adjudicated, a message is sent from the host to the player saying “You are strongly compelled to keep the promise you made or else face the consequences.”

Yeah this should have happened. Not to excuse it , but it being real time was problematic as roman was traveling and sadly I wasn't 100% on some of the things we were gonna allow as promises. If anything it screwed over RGG , as he could have potentially proved himself.

Similarly people should have been notified of who else decorated the tree (Bedlam), I sadly didn't notice that we forgot to send out the pm till mid-day the next day. It would have validated him to some degree. A bit problematic in that he was suppose to be SPECIFICALLY decorated : that is "I decorate Bedlam". We were gonna be more lenient and allow it to count, since the pm phrasing was a bit vague (it didn't give an example it just said "decorate you") .

So apologies to Bedlam and RGG for that.

edited December 2014
    discrider wrote: »

My gift was a mannequin.
    This was also useless, as my role specifically informed people who were targeted by my active power (become a pinata if you died tonight), and I was villager anyway.
    Hence the attempted giveaway day 2 (whereupon I learned that gift transfers couldn't happen at night, or at least that you died at :00 if killed).

Also Preda destroyed your gift at :00. If you had tried to give it away anytime during the day it would have worked. It was useless for you except that it could potentially tell you what the mafia might have up their sleeve. Granted that would have been in a game where the giftgivers largely survived.

e:On that note. Preda was just one gift away from leaving the game victorious, sadly. Aura's.

Egos on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »

Immunity to seering at least sets off (or should set off) alarm bells. Full stop thralls just read village and are more destructive, IMO.

Note, I simply wanted to read Neutral when I made the role. Granted, it pretty much won the game for us.

yeah i consider seer "immunity" (immunity, not sending back a deceptive role) to be a highly overrated ability, it means you will never ever be trusted, assuming the seering isn't outright assumed "must be SK then"

liEt3nH.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I was incredibly delicious

edited January 2015
    Langly wrote: »
    I was incredibly delicious

I think one might have been able to tell I was hoping for more innuendo with your role. And/or more "the pudding is a lie".

Also in-case it just came across as me being creepy
    Egos wrote: »
    day6.jpg
    Mrs. Cratchet's Christmas Pudding had been a good radioactive confectionery. She had been helpful and kind, alas this did not save her from the hunger of the other Mall-dwellers. Who thought it rude not to eat her. Assuming she was not only hot, but also moist. Although, hopefully not flakey.

was an Archer reference

Egos on