As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cunning disguises

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Chipotle Tabasco in Kraft m&c is a sublime pleasure

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Less milk, more butter, undercook the macaroni before draining then put it back into the saucepan and add the sauce over medium heat. Let the sauce heat up and reduce a little over the heat while the macaroni finishes cooking. Without adding any extra ingredients you get a much creamier, thicker, more comforting finished product.

I usually add about half a cup to a cup of frozen veggies (just peas are fine but a mix of peas/carrots/corn is usually my fave) because I like the extra texture and flavour it adds, not to mention getting some actual nutrition into it. If we have them I'll slice a smokey hot dog into little discs and brown them in a frypan before dumping them into the KD.

My wife hated KD before I made it for myself once and she tried it.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    basically mac and cheese is a lot like rice a roni or hamburger helper in that it's a cheap base for much better dishes

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    basically mac and cheese is a lot like rice a roni or hamburger helper in that it's a cheap base for much better dishes

Experimenting with boxed dinners is fun, bit it's only a stepping stone to cooking from scratch; having said that, I will murder some Hamburger Helper.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    When I went to Disney World Florida we went to a restaurant where the theme was traditional American food and they were all dressed up like what pilgrims wore. Anyhoo this was charming and all, and we sit down and we are all expecting the dinner to be like a Sunday roast type.

But there was mac and cheese served with it! What!! Why? It was very nice but what!

Nice, but unexpected.

~ The End. ~

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Mac and cheese is a very common thanksgiving side-dish

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    dude mac and cheese is like as traditional as american food gets

we've been eating it since the 1700's at least

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Less milk, more butter, undercook the macaroni before draining then put it back into the saucepan and add the sauce over medium heat. Let the sauce heat up and reduce a little over the heat while the macaroni finishes cooking. Without adding any extra ingredients you get a much creamier, thicker, more comforting finished product.

I usually add about half a cup to a cup of frozen veggies (just peas are fine but a mix of peas/carrots/corn is usually my fave) because I like the extra texture and flavour it adds, not to mention getting some actual nutrition into it. If we have them I'll slice a smokey hot dog into little discs and brown them in a frypan before dumping them into the KD.

That sounds like way too much effort.
    Maybe the veggies would be okay.

I also cook my KD in the microwave.
    Because I'm actually that lazy when I want KD.

I did not know, especially as a side as part of a main meal!

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Also mac and cheese is delicious.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Mac & cheese + ham product + peas/cauliflower/roasted corn = GIMME

When I'm in need of some serious comfort food, I cook up a mac-and-four-cheese from scratch. It has gouda, pecorino, swiss and sharp white cheddar in equal measures and I top ot off with bread crumbs before I pop it in the oven.

I only do that once or twice a year and only when I'm eating solo because fuck sharing, make your own.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I like homemade mac n' cheese but can only eat it a handful of times a year. The box stuff with the processed cheese sauce though? Any day, any time.

when I do proper mac and cheese in the oven I just use sharp cheddar but I also add bacon, corn, and a chopped chipotle pepper with some of the adobo they usually come canned in

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Once I got invited to judge a Mac & Cheese cooking contest that was part of a church singles activity. I was a giant fat guy at the time, and people assumed that meant I knew a lot about food. What it actually meant was that I had a completely sedentary lifestyle, and there was a Jack In The Box next door to my workplace.

There were seven entries, half of which I can summarize as "I made [other dish], but substituted Mac & Cheese for [standard ingredient]", and the other half as "I made an [ethnic] variant by indiscriminately chucking in a big wad of [chili peppers/curry powder/completely overpowering garlic]". But the seventh bowl was magical. The seventh bowl, I actually finished, even after liberally sampling the other six first.

The winning chef's reply, when asked what his secret recipe was?
    "I followed the directions on the box, but added like a whole stick of butter."

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    edited December 2014
    Psykoma wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »

That sounds like way too much effort.
    Maybe the veggies would be okay.

I also cook my KD in the microwave.
    Because I'm actually that lazy when I want KD.

for a similar effect in the microwave

again, less milk, more butter. Add the sauce before the macaroni is fully cooked then return it to the microwave and cook for another minute or two.

It baffles me why anyone would add the cold sauce and butter to the hot noodles and call it done. Heat and thickening the sauce is 100% crucial to stop your sauce tasting like slippery yellow water.

#pipe on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    I mean Yeah but Kraft cheese isn't cheese. And also it's terrible.

Yeah I avoid it. It is gross. If she didn't like it, fine. But don't come at me with the nanobots.

The real moral of the story is that only crazy people like Canadian bacon pizza.

The fuck you just say to me?

You heard me!

Just Canadian bacon and cheese! blech! Acceptable as Hawaiian pizza.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Once my Anova unit comes in next week, one of my first tasks will be to create the perfect cheese sauce for mac

with science

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Kraft Mac and Cheese is sort of different from the cheese on a pizza though.

here is what to do. Mac & Cheese, cook with a bit of extra butter. Add some shredded cheddar. Green onion cut up with scissors. Bacon bits, I usually use the cheap fake Bac-os. Chili powder and a bit of garlic powder. A dash of salt and pepper.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Ok, I adore traditional baked mac&cheese

But this, this is the holy grail

No roux, no farting about with multiple containers or pots, no waiting for the oven, just pasta+milk+seasonings+cheese BOOM FOOD

And it's really really fucking good

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    stroganoff, guys

Ok I'm making mac & cheese for dinner tonight, I have an urge now

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Popular American folklore is that that mac and cheese was invented by the writer of the Declaration of Independence (probably untrue)

Javen wrote: »

Popular American folklore is that that mac and cheese was invented by the writer of the Declaration of Independence (probably untrue)

thomas jefferson definitely did not invent mac and cheese but his love of it is well-documented

he imported a pasta extruder for use on his estate and served mac and cheese to dignitaries during his tenure as president

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    You know that complicated system of pulleys and weights that surround the inside of Thomas Jefferson's front door?

He claims it was some sort of automated calendar system of his own invention that would tell him what day it was at a glance.

Really it was a mac and cheese delivery system to quickly obtain said food when in a hurry to get out the door at get to work.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

No roux, no farting about with multiple containers or pots, no waiting for the oven, just pasta+milk+seasonings+cheese BOOM FOOD

Gonna make this tonight

Leaving out the mustard powder though because I loathe mustard

CYpGAPn.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Ok I'm making mac & cheese for dinner tonight, I have an urge now

"One pot" is the magic phrase!

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Monticello is Italian for macaroni.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

kraft singles are absolutely cheese and not terrible if you grew up fucking poor

Shorty wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

thomas jefferson definitely did not invent mac and cheese but his love of it is well-documented

he imported a pasta extruder for use on his estate and served mac and cheese to dignitaries during his tenure as president

he also loved ice cream and is responsible for it coming to the states pretty much

Blankzilla wrote: »

Gonna make this tonight

Leaving out the mustard powder though because I loathe mustard

I dislike mustard too, but I put mustard powder in my mac and cheese because it adds a savory sharpness.

Yeah I avoid it. It is gross. If she didn't like it, fine. But don't come at me with the nanobots.

The real moral of the story is that only crazy people like Canadian bacon pizza.

The fuck you just say to me?

You heard me!

Just Canadian bacon and cheese! blech! Acceptable as Hawaiian pizza.

Sometimes simplicity is warranted and I will die upon this Ham!

Hill!

Ham Hill!

HAMBURGER HILL!!!!

PiptheFair wrote: »

kraft singles are absolutely cheese and not terrible if you grew up fucking poor

As a person who grew up eating Kraft individually wrapped in plastic singles, I can definitively say that that shit tastes like plastic. But I was 5 and thought it was great.

Ignorance really is bliss.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    give me all of the mustard

I grew up poor but I quit eating that shit as soon as I was able

that said I will still use velveeta and cheese whiz for some applications

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    The Kraft deli american cheese where they don't individually wrap slices both cooks and tastes way better.

Mac and cheese is terribly stodgy.

you're northern

edited December 2014

you're northern

I am but I love being northern

but I have a tiny stomach and it is still terribly stodgy.

Liiya on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    we have discovered that making maple sausages and a boiled egg and including that with the KD makes it amazing

however i have always stayed with my classics - tuna, boiled egg, frozen peas, corn, carrots + KD -- I'd eat that for weeks at a time when I was in my early twenties.