As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2014 Remembrance Thread

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
Some awesome people died this year and I guess 2014 had to take one more before it was all over.

Christine Cavanaugh, voice of Chuckie on Rugrats, Dexter on Dexter's Lab, Babe the Pig, Marty Sherman on the Critic, Gosalyn Waddlemeyer-Mallard on Darkwing Duck, etc...died at 51.

Apparently she died on the 22nd for unannounced reasons.

This year has been SHITTY for celebrity deaths.

Robin Williams
Joan Rivers
Casey Casem
Joe Cocker
Larry Hagman
Oscar Taveras
Norman Bridwell
Jimmy Ruffin
Wayne Static
Jack Bruce
Oscar De La Renta
Jan Hooks
Richard Kiel
Richard Attenborough
Lauren Bacall
Elaine Stritch
Tommy Ramone
Paul Mazursky
Rik Mayall
Ann B. Davis
Maya Angelou
Bob Hoskins
Rubin Carter
Peaches Geldof
Mickey Rooney
John Pinette
James Rebhorn
Harold Ramis
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Mae Young
Phil Everly
James Avery
Paul Walker

This is not a comprehensive list but it runs through a lot of it. This was just a terrible year for deaths and as I get older I feel more and more celebrities that I love are going to die.

Some of these people lived good and full lives, and some of them were taken too soon. With one more day left in 2014, let's hope this year is done taking people from us.

Instead of mourning these great people let's remember them for what made them great.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I watched Good Will Hunting yesterday, just because it was a good movie

For someone who had a tendency to be cast in comedic roles, dude had a lot of range

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Robin Williams was the best. I actually liked him more in his dramatic roles than in his comedy roles.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Still creeped out by him in One Hour Photo

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I miss Ipse

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Still creeped out by him in One Hour Photo

Good movie.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Very solid performance in Insomnia, too.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Wayne Static
    Well that was a surprise. ;(

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    I miss Ipse

You mean IpseDixit the member?

Did I miss something?

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Some awesome people died this year and I guess 2014 had to take one more before it was all over.

Christine Cavanaugh, voice of Chuckie on Rugrats, Dexter on Dexter's Lab, Babe the Pig, Marty Sherman on the Critic, Gosalyn Waddlemeyer-Mallard on Darkwing Duck, etc...died at 51.

wait what the fuck

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Yeah, apparently on the 22nd. I just heard about it today.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I miss Ipse

Did I miss something?

Back in April, Mori made a thread about it

...I'm gonna go watch Redline again

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My dad passed away this year

Fuck 2014

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    My dad passed away this year

Fuck 2014

I wasn't even close to my Dad and I remember how hard it was when he died. My deepest condolences.

• Options
    I miss Ipse

Did I miss something?

God dammit I had no idea

Ugh now I feel terrible

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    this was a year of unmitigated bullshit

• Options
    My grandmother died about a month ago.

She was 94 and in good health and spirits until a fall broke her hip and she didn't recover from the surgery.

I'm thousands of miles away and my mum informed me via facebook private message, first that she'd fallen and was heading in for surgery, then the next day that she was gone.

The whole thing is so disorienting. I've spoken to my family half a dozen times in the past couple of weeks for christmas etc, but I still don't really know how to feel about it. I wasn't super close with this grandmother, and I know if it was my maternal grandmother, I'd be booking a flight as soon as I heard she was hurt, but it's still a super jarring experience and I don't think I've had any opportunity to grieve at all.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    2014 has probably been the shittiest year in recent memory.

• Options
    2014 was one of my all time top 5 years.

I got married this year.

2011 was my worst year and a year would have to work pretty goddamn hard to beat it.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    2013 for me. That would be a tough one to beat for bad years.

I watched Mrs. Doubtfire last week. I love that movie, I used to watch with my dad all the time.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    leelah alcorn

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    leelah alcorn

Yeah I don't have any other words but yeah this

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2014
    leelah alcorn
    Is everything I heard about her suicide true?

Because goddamn her parents are assholes to the point where I can hardly believe it

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I lost one of my best friends to suicide this year.

Aside from that, this year has been largely uneventful.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm not sure 2014 was a terrible year so much as a ton of things that make every year terrible were finally brought out into the mainstream public's eye and we had to have endless conversations about them. That in and of itself becomes unbearable but how much better might things get now that we've been forced to confront so much ugliness? I'm not exactly an optimist but I wonder whether things can start to get better now that we've begun to acknowledge some awful truths.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    it's been a particularly bad year for planes, I'll say that much

with a lot of people still with very few answers about what happened to their loved ones

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Seriously dudes and dudettes, don't ever put your friends and family through the ringer by going and killing yourselves.
    Talk to people, seek counseling, call the suicide prevention hotline, whatever it takes. Just don't put your friends through that.

That's what I'm taking away from this year.

• Options
    My Dad attempted suicide a few times later in life but never succeeded.

Unless you count the fact that he refused to stop drinking and doing drugs until they killed him.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Anybody that followed the chronic illness thread knows that my grandma died on Dec. 2nd. She had a long battle with cancer. We were extremely close, I lived with my grandparents for a couple of years.

2015 can start at any time, thanks.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    goddammit, i forgot harold ramis died this year

goddammit

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    excellent things happened this year too, guys

please don't lose sight of that in here

it's one thing to acknowledge people who've been lost or the tragedies and atrocities, and of course it's okay to feel sad about those things

but don't you dare focus in on that stuff only and forget the awesome things that have happened to each and every single one of you goddamn beautiful people

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Yeah, let's remember what made the people we've lost great, not just that we lost them.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I saved a kitten this year!

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    I miss Ipse

Did I miss something?

no no no fuck no

sig.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    what the fuck

sig.png
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I found and returned a lost dog this year. That was pretty neat.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    this year largely sucked for me

one of my worst years ever

I'm not gonna paint it as anything positive

because it would be bullshit

at least 2015 is in position to be easily better, for me

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Robin William's death hit me harder than any celebrity. I made jokes to make people laugh because my self esteem was so shitty that I needed people to think I am funny to like me.

To know he committed suicide after decades long battle of depression, that just hit too close to home. That could have been me. I'm really glad it wasn't. I just wish that Robin Williams was able to continue the fight a little while longer.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I found and returned a lost dog this year. That was pretty neat.

Coincidentally, my dog ran away more times this year than any other! Thankfully, she has made it back each time so far.
    Also she killed more possums this year than the last two years combined.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have my grandmother's funeral on Friday. It's been a bad year for grandmothers apparently.

Hate funerals, can't wait for it to be over.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    how have i only just heard about ipsedixit