As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Official 2015 Challenge Coin Thread] Coin Orders close March 8th.

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Didn't even notice the bow. I love it!

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    excited about this and I love the design. I'd never have seen this thing if not for the Christmas forum!

• iltailta Registered User regular
    Love the bow. Wish we could ditch "year" for a clean V.

• GoreySailorGoreySailor Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Excited about the coin again this year, thanks! Just a thought, can we use the "V/five" from the GTA V logo?

GoreySailor on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I like the bow as well. I'm indifferent about taking "Year" out or leaving it in, but if I were forced to choose, I'd say leave it in because the imprint on the coin would look pretty sweet.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I think I'd rather have 5 or 5th instead of V. But if we do the V, I think the "year" should be left off.

And the bow is AWESOME

sirmrej on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Sorry, I've been busy with work again. Two other alternates with the monitor:

uz0KKVz.jpg

NS1XfZb.jpg

Excited about the coin again this year, thanks! Just a thought, can we use the "V/five" from the GTA V logo?

photo.jpg

That one? It might be a bit much detail wise to fit in the space, but if we haven't heard back from Phoenix yet tomorrow I'll take a pass at something similar.

• FapFlopFapFlop Registered User regular

The irony. It burns.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd rather stay away from anything specifically tied to one (not that childhood-inducing) game/series like that, if we can avoid it.

• DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
    I like the idea of 5th anniversary on the monitor over just V, and nice touch with the bow :D

Check out my lanyard and let's trade ;)https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Devereaux
    edited December 2014
    I think we can do better on that computer. It looks no better than an office computer. Have a couple of other monitors angled in for a tri-monitor setup. Make the mousepad bigger. Change it to a tenkeyless keyboard. Change the monitor stand to look like something Acer would sell.

Spice it up!

FapFlop on
    FapFlop wrote: »
    I think we can do better on that computer. It looks no better than an office computer. Have a couple of other monitors angled in for a tri-monitor setup. Make the mousepad bigger. Change it to a tenkeyless keyboard. Change the monitor stand to look like something Acer would sell.

Spice it up!
    My desk looks like the coin... are you saying my setup lacks the spice? I have blue eyes, so I says I gots the spice, lol.

While I jest, I do think that keeping the PC side somewhat simple is preferable. Anything too complicated could get out of hand. The old KISS routine works for a reason

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Love the bow, and I agree that the PC side is simple but that's not a bad thing. It's easily distinguishable.

I vote no to the GTA "V" even if I would prefer a different font for the V.

UyhWici.png
    Just saying. Compared to the past coins, this one is super drab.

Design something then.

Mvrck wrote: »

Design something then.

You take criticism well.

• flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    To all forum members, who want an awesome PAX East 2015 challenge coin , if you have any ideas on making this year's cc awesome please let us know. We're open to all idea(s).

@Mvrck, can't say I speak for everyone but I really do appreciate the work that you have put fourth on this so far, more than I've done. And more importantly I think it at least gets the design process moving forward; So big Thank you! Btw if anyone is curious Mvrk was one of the first, if not the first, to throw a graphical draft design for the cc.

As a reminder we should try to finalize a design sooner than later, if we hope to get the coins in your hands before PAX East 2015.
    I've been following the PAX South cc thread, and it looks like it'll be tight for them. But we still have time, hopefully after the New Years we'll come together to finalize the design(s).

Wishing everyone a happy New Year!

flashe on
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    We're um.. not that open to ideas anymore.. we had to submit a design by the 23rd, which we did.

I'm waiting on PCC to get back to me with their design based on ours (holidays slow stuff down)

We're open to tweaking the design some (like the screen text) but not entire overhauls if we want the coin for PAX East. (I know some people said they didn't mind waiting, but we were getting the same 2-3 ideas over and over, so we just went with it.)

• flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Ummm....yeah like I siad if any of you are looking to help tweak the design for the better let SutibunRi know

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I appreciate all the work you've done on this. I'm just glad we had time to do one this year.

• Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Is it too late to donate to the GoFundMe? I just tried this morning; but after entering the details on the first Donate Now page, a dialog appears informing me that the project "is not ready to accept donations."

Edit: I also don't know if the voting Google Doc is still relevant, but I'm in favor of the V without the overlapping "YEAR" text if that's an option. Regardless of the final design, though, thank you to everyone putting in the time and effort to make this happen. I'm excited to see the outcome.

Xavier1216 on
    SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • megaciamegacia Registered User regular
    Also want to chime in that I like the coin design.

• sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Still time to show interest? Also, any ball park estimates on cost per? $5 or $50? Thanks!

I would like 2.

sum10fishy on
    sum10fishy wrote: »
    any ball park estimates on cost per? $5 or $50?
    If memory serves me right, the cost per coin depends on a few things:
    1. Amount of donations up front to help cover costs
    2. Total number of coin purchased by the entire group

I could be wrong, but I thought that was how it worked out. I think last year's coins came to around $13. The higher the participation from the community, the cheaper it is per person.

That is indeed how cost per coin is determined.
    The PAX South coins are $8 and we have comparable interest shown, so I would guess somewhere in that region.

As for the GoFundMe, it should be working now, they wanted me to confirm my information again. Please note the funding goal is my best estimate, after conversion to CAD.

All the things are still relevant.

I'm waiting on PCC to get back to me with their version of the initial design, that we should be able to revise.
    I'll be sending them an email of my own on Monday if I've not heard from them, as I didn't want to be a goose by demanding progress reports between Christmas day and new years.

Their factory shuts down for 2.5 weeks at the end of January, so he did tell me the 15th is when they want to have that first batch printing for delivery by East. (meaning that the turn around time for final approval will be.. short.)

edited January 2015
    The OP has been updated, PCC got back to me (at 2:30AM) with their take on our design.
    I'd like to get back to them tonight, so, pings for everyone who signed up in the google doc!

I'll put it here too
    ZshMnRn.jpg

Edit: long list of names removed!

SutibunRi on
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    The OP has been updated, PCC got back to me (at 2:30AM) with their take on our design.
    I'd like to get back to them tonight, so, pings for everyone who signed up in the google doc!

I'll put it here too
    ZshMnRn.jpg

Edit: long list of names removed!

Without the context of the street, other buildings or trees, the BCEC looks like a spaceship on the coin. Not saying that's bad, just an observation.

I'll also put my vote into removing the word "Year" from the computer screen, but it looks slick either way.

Thanks for putting this together.

vttym on
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    does it look weird to anyone else having the bcec run all the way to the left edge of the coin? should there be more of a border, as on the other side?

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    I definitely think throw away the YEAR

I love the BCEC rendition.

@tvethiopia‌ I think the "city" side of the coin has as often as not run right to the edge of the coin. I think it usually ends up looking fine on the final coin.

• Thunderous_TThunderous_T Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I think ditch the "year" text but otherwise this looks great!

Prime 2017: Tickets soon please...
  • ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    My $.02.... Definitely get rid of "Year." Also, it's kinda cool how the support pillars on the BCEC are V's.

• caerulean_bluecaerulean_blue Registered User regular
    I do like the design. One comment/question though. An earlier design from Mvrck had a bow one of the PacMan's to make it Ms. PacMan. Is that being dropped? I don't see that here in the design by PCC and I thought that was a really clever part of the design.

I do like the design. One comment/question though. An earlier design from Mvrck had a bow one of the PacMan's to make it Ms. PacMan. Is that being dropped? I don't see that here in the design by PCC and I thought that was a really clever part of the design.
    It's still there, it's being obscured by one of the phoenix watermarks.

• Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular

It's visible but partially obscured by the phoenix watermark in the close-up shot. That's actually one of my favorite elements of this coin.

I'm still in the "V without YEAR" camp, but I'll be happy either way. Thanks again for making this happen!

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I kinda like the year not crazy about the non gaming side but its cool either way

edited January 2015
    vttym wrote: »
    Without the context of the street, other buildings or trees, the BCEC looks like a spaceship on the coin. Not saying that's bad, just an observation.
    Spaceship?
    :D
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    does it look weird to anyone else having the bcec run all the way to the left edge of the coin? should there be more of a border, as on the other side?

That was one of the things I was wondering about.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It's still there, it's being obscured by one of the phoenix watermarks.

The very first thing I did when I saw the picture was zoom in on the bow, it's still there, and it still has details.
    A quick read of the thread, since some people didn't actually vote in the poll shows
    • 12 people for Ditching the Year, between the thread and the Poll. (where it ended up being labelled Other, but was the only 'Other' left in comments.
    • 14 Votes in the poll to keep it.
    • 3 People for Blank Screen.
    I honestly think the screen would look pretty blank without the Year now, it grew on me the longer I looked at it.. (What is it they say about gazing into the abyss?)

SutibunRi on
    edited January 2015
    One very, very important thing to remember about the design: In the final coin, there will not be the sharp contrast between elements there is in the previews. Those colors are picked for ease of contrast between elements, but it will be the depth that provides detail, while everything is the same color. That will drastically alter the way the BCEC looks, because all of that empty space won't stand out nearly as much.

Edit: And yes, if they had left out the bow, there would have been words.

Mvrck on
    edited January 2015
    I dislike the year because while it's the fifth coin and year in the bcec, it's not the fifth pax east, and that ambiguity bugs me.

Edit: to try to be clearer with year V, it is easy to see as a mistake because this is PAX East number 6.

zerzhul on
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I would say ditch the year.

I would also say buy the designers a round, because ya boys and girls done made a beaut!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
This discussion has been closed.