As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk about VIDEO GAMES WE PLAYED IN 2014

WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPEDRegistered User regular
Maybe you played some new video games!

5OOIgk5.jpg

Maybe you played some old video games.

Iv6jHTn.png

Maybe you played some good video games.

9jMS9Uf.png

Maybe you played some bad video games.

9jMS9Uf.png

Maybe you played some Nintendo video games.

UPmhzfo.jpg?1

Maybe you played some third party video games.

NV67BhP.jpg

FACT: In the Year of our Lord 2014 we had more video games to play than ever before.

FACT: If you're in this thread you probably played some video games.

FACT: You can talk about video games here, in this thread.

Let's talk about games we played between January 1st and December 31st.

dN0T6ur.png

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    You know what I played this year?

I played THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pV5r4ePww8

And I also played THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFqxGggCXCo

These were pretty good video games. I think I preferred the first one. They felt almost like they were done by different development teams?

I really appreciated both of them, though. Blighttown felt like the lost orphaned child of Misery Mire, and the way that the Dark Souls world kind of flowed logically downward, becoming more and more terrible the deeper you went? That shit felt right. That shit felt good. I played through it three times more or less in succession, all as the same character, and enjoyed it differently for each runthrough. That's an awful lot of granularity for a game structured the way it is.

And I was really affected by the storytelling. Effective. Nice.

That is two of the games I played this year.

It was a Hell of a year.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    They were.

liEt3nH.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I played so much Marvel Heroes

Rogue might be the coolest "class" in any Diablo-style action RPG ever.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I did not play many different games this year, actually, given that for the first half I was still wrapped up in my Guild Wars 2 addiction.

But I did play Sunset Overdrive and Transistor, which were two highly enjoyable games that were super excellent. I did not expect to enjoy either game as much as I actually did. I also (finally) played Starcraft 2: HotS and a few indie titles on Steam (Monaco, Papers Please).

I also meant to play the Sims 4 but the reviews (and EA in general) put me off and I still haven't picked it up yet.

Then we put a freeze on game-buying until after the wedding, so I haven't picked up Inquisition yet even though I very much want to play it.

I can't remember if I played anything else this year. This post was boring. Sorry!

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    They were.

That explains a lot, actually

Was Demon Souls made by the same team as the first Dark Souls? I want to play more by that team and I ain't got no PS4

I wonder if Bloodborne will come it to the PC one day

dN0T6ur.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

are lots of people still playing this? because I've been wanting to check it out but have no one to play with

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    There is more overlap between the Dark Souls team and the Demon Souls team, including the same director.

liEt3nH.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    just wanted to say, Wyborn I really enjoyed your Dark Souls posts!

uc3ufTB.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Playing Desert Golf right now and this was either the best or worst impulsive purchase

old games of the year:
    The Witcher 2
    Mass Effect 1-3

New games of the year:
    Dark Souls 2
    Hyper Light Drifter's demo

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

are lots of people still playing this? because I've been wanting to check it out but have no one to play with

The PA guild over in G&T is very active.

The game itself is very healthy and gets lots of dev attention. They have a ten year contract with Marvel so they're in for the long haul. There's a new character every month at least, and they continue to add and refine content.

It's not as polished as Diablo, but if you want a game to scratch the same kind of itch, and like the Marvel IP, might as well check it out. There's like nine or ten characters you can try out for free until level ten, before officially choosing one as your official free starting character.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    smash is my game of the year

lfYVHTd.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    this year i played

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    FACT: Bears eat beets.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Also I got the best possible in-game rankings for the first three Metal Gear Solids

the ranks are given for basically speedrunning the game (in chunks). You have to clear the game on the highest difficulty without using any healing items, without ever dying or being seen, and without killing anyone (or in MGS1's case, only killing the bare number of people necessary), and finish the game in a very short time, usually 3-5 hours. in 2 and 3 they also limit the number of times you can save your game to prevent save scumming.

it was extremely difficult but also a lot of fun, and relaxing in a weird sort of way

^good opinions

• BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I love Dark Souls 1 so much that its probably my game of the 2000s so far. Dark Souls 2 is really disappointing, for me entirely because the world design was pretty dull the first half of the game. But even then its still one of my favorite games of the year. That and Half Life 2 as a runner up I guess, just from sheer cultural impact.

That said, i spent over 100 hours playing FTL, Binding of Issac, and Spelunky this year. And basically all the games I played that i seriously loved were all indy + Farcry 3. With about 3 false starts with the Witcher 2 because i just don't have a extended time to finish it.

... what im saying is put Dark Souls Guy in Smash Brothers.

Barcardi on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular

For both you and She Hulk, I assume.

NNID: Rehab0

I don't know if it's my game of the year - I played a lot of good games this year - but it's very much in the running

It was a legit-ass year, though

But this is also the best Smash for me, so.... yeah, maybe

dN0T6ur.png
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I played Destiny. Quite a lot of destiny. It's the first MMOish game I've gotten into since ultima online. It's the first time I've ever farmed mats. It was a mixed experience.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I sense a lot of people didn't finish Bravely Default, so I just want to make sure they realize how robbed that game was in not winning Best Music awards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBTIUzPpEQ

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Shadow of mordor was fun.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    By far the game I played the most this year was Bravely Default. I put in well over a 100 hours into that thing.

Right now I'm working on both flavors of Smash Brothers and Curtain Call.

I, uh, still play Rock Band 3.

I like Beyond Earth.

I bought Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel but I haven't been able to put a lot of time into it.

Oh yeah, there was also a new Phoenix Wright, which was cool, and I also mostly played Link Between Worlds this year, which was fantastic.

I feel like I'm forgetting some stuff, but I need to stop there and get packing.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2014
    IDzepvD.jpg

game of the year

DJ Eebs on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    First completed game: Papers Please
    Last completed game: Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
    Most played game: Hearts of Iron II: Darkest Hour: Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg: Colon
    MVPs: FFX HD, Okami HD, Mass Effect, Spec Ops: The Line, Silent Hill 2
    Most disappointing DLC: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea
    Best DLC: Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall/Witches of Brigmore
    Backlog clearance: 39
    Backlog expansion: 10
    2015 anticipations: Bastion and Shovel Knight and Papers Please on Vita

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Most disappointing DLC: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea

this legitimately makes me sad

it wasn't perfect but man i sure enjoyed it a lot

lfYVHTd.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Amplitude in general made some of my best gaming experiences this year, I can't wait to see what they do next

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My games of the year:
    10) Mario Kart 8
    9) Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    8) Broken Age: Act One
    7) Infamous: Second Son
    6) The Banner Saga
    5) The Wolf Among Us
    4) World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
    3) Wolfenstein: The New Order
    2) Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
    1) Dragon Age: Inquisition

which is a fucking weird list and not one I ever would have expected, outside of Dragon Age taking the top spot, going into 2014

I haven't played Bayonetta 2 yet but I'm sure it'll be on here somewhere

CYpGAPn.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I played a good number of vidya games this year.

Off the top of my head:

Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Rage
    Plague Inc.
    Hydrophobia: Prophecy
    FarCry 3
    The Walking Dead: Season 2
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    Brothers
    Don't Starve
    Gone Home
    Paper's Please
    The Stanley Parable
    Surgeon Simulator 2013
    The Bridge

Also Torchlight 2. Played a looooot of Torchlight 2.

RT800 on
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    ACDABD17AACF09C53B0612FF9B4A8C488F7F06D6

l3icwZV.png
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    What the heck did I play this year? Final Fantasy 14. A whole lotta Path of Exile. Banner Saga. Risk of Rain. Gang Beasts. Dark Souls 2. Legend of Grimrock 2. Kerbal Space Program.

l3icwZV.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If you can't even recognize a good 40-50 games in your library, are you buying too many bundles?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've been eyeing FF14, but I just know I'm gonna be burned out shortly after hitting max level. It's a general rule for MMOs, I found.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    I spent the past week playing Elite: Dangerous in what I can only assume was something equivalent to a heroin binge

I feel fucking awful and never wanna touch the stuff again but damned if I'm not gonna do it tomorrow

l3icwZV.png
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    FF14 had more problems than that, for me. I only played it for about a month before I got bored.
    Speaking of MMOs, I was quite excited for Wildstar and I liked it a lot. I honestly wish it did better.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Wildstar has been boring me like whoa, lately. I can't even explain why. By all my personal definitions, it's a much better game than WoW. And, yet, WoW roped me in longer. Maybe I'm just getting tired of MMOs.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I liked these 20 games that came out in 2014 the best one was probably dragon age

Assassin's Creed Rogue
    Bayonetta 2
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    Dark Souls II
    Desert Golfing
    Dragon Age Inquisiton
    Infamous: First Light
    Jackbox Party Pack
    Kirby: Triple Deluxe
    Luftrausers
    Mario Kart 8
    Middle-Earth: Shadow Of Mordor
    Nidhogg
    Super Smash Bros. For
    The Domovoi
    The Uncle Who Works For Nintendo
    The Walking Dead Two
    The Wolf Among Us
    Threes
    Wolfenstein: The New Order

PNk1Ml4.png
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Thanks to my Backloggery I can tell you exactly what games I've beat/finished/stopped playing this year (in reverse order):

Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC)
    Super Time Force (XBO)
    Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS)
    Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
    Half-Minute Hero Super Mega Neo Climax (360)
    Kirby's Dream Land (3DS-VC)
    Thomas Was Alone (PC)
    Anomaly: Warzone Earth (PC)
    Darksiders (PC)
    Rogue Legacy (PC)
    Pokemon Y (3DS)
    Titanfall (PC)
    Braid (PC)
    Gunpoint (PC)
    Hotel Dusk (NDS)
    Trials: Evolution (360)
    VVVVVV (PC)
    Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
    Dustforce (PC)
    Trine 2 (PC)
    Professor Layton and the Last Specter (NDS)
    Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
    Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
    Batman: Arkham Asylum (PC)
    HarmoKnight (3DS)
    Shank 2 (PC)
    Forza Horizon (360)
    Shank (PC)

The games I played but haven't finished/put down:
    World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor (PC)
    Master Chief Collection (XBO)
    Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)
    Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS)
    Cook, Serve, Delicious! (PC)
    FTL: Faster Than Light (PC)

Out of all of those I think only three were released in 2014. My main focus for next year is to clean up my Wii backlog--namely Pandora's Tower, Last Story, and Xenoblade--as well as pare down my PC backlog some. I've escaped the Steam trap (0 games bought so far in the Winter sale) so I feel like I'll be able to make an appreciable dent next year.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Best games I finally finished this year were Dishonored and Bastion.

Best new game I played was Endless Legend

Most conflicting game was Dragon Age: Inquisition. I keep flip-flopping on whether I love it or not. Don't think I'll have time to finish it anyway.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I've spent most of my game time making LPs of this, for the past two months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMYeShRuP4g&list=UUTLpgLC3EO3HB6svnwH81Fw

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204