As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about VIDEO GAMES WE PLAYED IN 2014

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Most disappointing DLC: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea

this legitimately makes me sad

it wasn't perfect but man i sure enjoyed it a lot

The Gameplay was fine.

The story felt contrived and contradictory to previous rules established.

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I finished Far Cry 4 a couple of days ago. The campaign that is. I still have stuff left I want to do because it's a lot of fun to mess around in that world. I don't think I'll be uninstalling it for quite a while in case I suddenly wanna go nuts in a big way

I think the games I am looking forward to the most next year are Witcher 3, Bloodborne and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nptXAYlRhFo

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    2000 words later...

9. FFX / X-2 HD Remaster – Re-release of the year
    X Is my favourite Final Fantasy and X-2 is the best playing entry in the series. Unfortunately, this new release didn’t add skippable cutscenes to X, and I don’t need to experience that story again so soon.

I played some 60 hours of X-2 before I fucked up my 100% completion run at some point, and there’s little more demoralising than that. There’s so much new content in this international version that I want to get back to it though, and it’s still a blast to play.

8. Bravely Default – Grudging praise
    Honestly, I really don’t like the writing in this game. I dislike the protagonists, I feel the game shies away from tackling interesting moral/personal quandaries like Edea turning against her family, and fails to address or apply consequences to the party’s actions. They could also have condensed the last few chapters into two rather than four without losing anything.

With that said, its gameplay and mechanics almost make up for those shortcomings. It’s always fun to mix and match abilities from different classes, and the Brave/Default systems are great. Taking future turns immediately opens up many possibilities, such as charging and unleashing attacks instantly, or resurrecting and healing a character all at once. If it has a failing, it’s that the Spiritmaster class is OP as fuck.

7. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls – Most improved
    Adventure Mode, Nephalem Rifts and Greater Rifts were just the thing D3 needed to keep me playing (it certainly wasn’t the story). I was actually very cool on this expansion at first, but following a number of patches improving drop rates and smoothing the progression, I quickly found myself absorbed all the way up to high level Grifts.

There are still balance issues that mean my monk has hit a wall, and bemusing design choices around Hellfire Amulets, but ultimately I had a great time with it and I look forward to coming back with their next patch.

6. Banner Saga – Late entry
    My Steam and PS+ backlogs meant I couldn’t justify picking it up; fortunately a friend gifted me it, so I’m free to give it its due.

I love tactical RPGs, and there’s a surprising amount of depth to this one. I love how armour and health play off one another, and how you need to balance stripping the former with lowering the latter to lower incoming damage. Eliminating enemies changes the turn order, but even with low HP you don’t want them chipping away at your armour. It makes for engaging gameplay despite the limited variation in encounters.

The strategic layer is also great; balancing morale, supplies and levelling your party is incredibly difficult, particularly on Hard. Routing an enemy increases morale, but may leave you with more injuries and health penalties. It’s a game full of difficult decisions, some with long-reaching consequences. If I have any criticisms, it’s that Chapter 3 is overlong and Chapter 4 resets your supplies to 3 days’ worth.

5. Dark Souls 2 – Heavy burden
    Dark Souls is one of my top three games of all time, so Dark Souls 2 had a lot to live up to. Aside from the new adaptability stat that forces me to waste points to get my character feeling right, mechanically it’s an improvement. Upgrading weapons is finally where it needs to be, the ability to respec is fantastic, and the inventory is a lot better. I’m ambivalent about the two additional hand slots, but they’re there for the people who want them.

The game itself, however, just isn’t as good as its predecessor. It’s a little too sprawling, a little too sparse, a little too linear. In DS you spent your first time in an area exploring it, but once you were familiar with it, you could sprint through in minutes. You could break sequence in interesting ways, and powerful items were available to you literally within seconds of arriving at Firelink. Having the ability to warp from the beginning of DS2 really compromised the level design. There are too many bosses of little consequence, and it drags on just when you think you’re nearing the end.

Story-wise, it’s interesting. It explores futility, obsession, and the nature of sequels. It’s very sombre and understated, in a different way to Dark Souls. Ultimately though, it never feels like its own thing. It has nods that tie it to the first Dark Souls, but it never gets you invested in Drangleic. The companions you cross never have the charm of Solaire, nor the awe inspired by Beatrice and Tarkus. It’s lacking in pathos as a whole: no Maiden Astraea, Sif or Priscilla here. There’s no ambiguity around whether to believe Kaathe or Frampt, just a sense of futility.

Finally, changing online matchmaking from soul level to souls collected was asinine, and did a number on the game’s longevity. It scratches an itch, but it doesn’t do anything new.

4. Transistor – Almost Perfect
    Transistor doesn’t over-stay its welcome. It gives you just enough tools to experiment, beautiful art and music, wonderful voice acting, and an intriguing world. And yet, it could have been so much more. Cloudbank was fascinating, but seeing it only during its decline and never meeting any of its residents made it feel hollow. Functions were fantastic, especially how you were encouraged to try them in different slots to unlock all their biographies, but their balance was out of whack. NG+ opened up some fun combinations, but didn’t give you much to do with your new toys or particularly shake up the story.

The game was at its best in the challenge rooms where you were given a limited set of functions and had to survive for a number of rounds (read: when they took away Void and Cull/Tap); I thoroughly enjoyed improvising different strategies for survival, and those were the only times I ever had a function overload. Transistor was still one of my most complete gameplay experiences this year, and I enjoyed getting 100% completion on it.

3. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft – Most time
    I’ve always wanted to get into card games, but balked at the cost and the thought of finding opponents. Online seemed to me to be the perfect way to solve both of these things, and of course Blizzard were able to nail it perfectly. I have almost 3200 wins in this game, have a very solid pool of cards, and I have spent £5 on it.

Hearthstone is a wonderfully polished, well-designed, captivating experience. Constructed and Arena are both engaging in different ways, and daily gold keeps me logging in and adding to my collection without spending any additional cash. On the other hand I’ve lost 500+ hours to the game in a single year, and as the goblins added in their latest expansion would tell you, Time is money, friend.

They’ve not been too quick about adding new cards or balancing existing ones, and I hope they get better about that next year, but I’m very satisfied with what we’ve got so far.

2. Super Smash Bros for Wii U – Best multi
    Amazon cancelled the order we placed on the game together with a Gamecube controller adapter, which meant my friends and I spent our first time playing this with our 3DS copies. It was good, but it wasn’t anything special. Eventually we secured an adapter off ebay for £60 and hell yes. Hell fucking yes.

I’ve been playing Smash since the Gamecube era, and for those eight years I’ve always been worse than the other three who make up our core group. (For the curious, we play 4 minute matches, first to 100 stars, no smash ball, items on.) Our first real Smash session on the Wii U, I came top by some 17 stars. It’s rare for me to be so in the zone, but I was absolutely killing it for those couple of hours.

Then our fourth guy showed up, we wiped the scores and I promptly slipped straight to last place. For a brief shining period though, I was the best. We also had some incredible moments, like using the homerun bat to reflect a super scope shot. I don’t know how much longer we can keep playing Smash together like that – we managed a full weekend for Brawl’s release but could only do one night for Wii U – but I sincerely hope it’s for another eight years.

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition – Game of the Year
    Until Inquisition, Dragon Age was the B tier Bioware franchise for me, after Mass Effect. It was too often downbeat and cynical, and the gameplay never gelled for me, particularly on the higher difficulties. That’s all changed.
    First off, the Keep is a fantastic tool. As someone who used Gibbed’s save editor to go through four complete runs of ME2, I love that Bioware’s given players a simple way to change outcomes, flagging conflicts and enhancing replayability.

I think Bioware games generally have ambitious but relatively weak stories. Inquisition plays it safer than the other DA games and is honestly a bit generic at times, but I never felt I had my actions thrown back in my face, which is something that I felt explicitly of the previous two games. I also think it’s greatly elevated by its emphasis on faith, and the wonderful wrinkles being a Dalish elf add to the plot.

DA:O was a snoozefest to the point where I bumped it down to Easy for the last 20 hours and it was still a slog. DA2 was good fun on Hard, but the friendly fire and poor encounter design meant that Nightmare was a chore that I promptly abandoned. Inquisition makes friendly fire a separate option (that no one checks, because why would you), improves encounters, and strikes a balance between DA:O’s methodical approach and DA2’s over the top action that really struck a chord with me.

The tactical camera is garbage and the programmable AI routines are missed, but I found there was just enough customisation in setting preferred skills to make the game a fun challenge on Nightmare. I’ve beaten the game once as Reaver and again as Knight enchanter, and it was a blast both times (though KE is OP).

As for content, there’s too much of it. It’s an odd complaint, but I like a challenge and it’s impossible to experience even 50% of this game’s content without trivialising it. Combined with mundane fetch quests and filler trash like requisitions and they really could have excised a great deal and still had enough meat for multiple 60 hour playthroughs.

The characters are the best part of all Bioware games, and goddamn but they’ve gotten good at writing them. Garrus and Mordin may still hold the top spots, but they had multiple games to make that connection. Most of the DA:I companions are easy to like, and the ones you have to work a little harder with have excellent payoffs. My personal favourite is Vivienne; she’s an incredibly intelligent, charming, shrewd woman, and I adore her. It’s a little disheartening to see her be so polarising, but as she wouldn’t let it bother her, I’ll try to do the same.

It’s a shame Inquisition’s multi isn’t a patch on ME3’s, but I’m not sure I could handle having that game knocked out of my top three, so maybe it’s for the best. DA:I is a fantastic experience only slightly marred by a dubious choice of first zone, too much filler and a so-so ending.

Notable absences
    Pokémon Omega Ruby – this is the first Pokémon game I’ve given a miss since Emerald (though I barely played Black 2). As much as I enjoy the online, it’s playing with the people around me that make the game, and they’ve either grown tired of it or use Showdown. Also I got my first shiny in Pokémon Y last year so I’m done, really. I hope they mix it up next gen; it’d be a shame to stop after 15 years.

Persona Q – I burned out playing Etrian Odyssey: Untold this year and didn’t want to jump right in to another game with a similar formula, and from what I’ve heard about the game there’s a fair bit of exaggerating character traits rather than actual development. I’ll pick it up eventually; I just wish they’d stop milking the characters that I love so much.

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns – this marks the first offline FF game I do not own. I really enjoyed playing FF13, for all its faults, and found myself quite invested in the story 13-2 told despite myself. Because of this, I was incredibly disappointed that LR decided to do away with both of those things in favour of focusing on my least favourite character from those games in an odd action hybrid. I may check out more of the story besides the ridiculous ending, but I have no desire to play it.

Also major props to Gunpoint, Rogue Legacy and Bastion, which I finally got around to this year.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm currently in the middle of Evil Within and Shadows of Mordor.

I still pop in Diablo 3 whenever I get the itch.

I have started but not finished

Tomb Raider - ps4
    Last of Us - ps4
    Sunset Overdrive - xone
    Call of Duty:AW - ps4
    Watch_Dogs

Games I'm always just kind of playing
    NBA 2K15
    Madden 15
    NHL15
    Forza Horizon 2
    Binding of Isaac

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I agree about Diablo 3 even though I have no idea where I left off or what I am doing now.

Mario Golf World Tour was my go to lunch game all summer
    Pokémon X well I am ashamed to say I got bored and started to play Monster Hunter 3G instead
    World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor even though I feel Pandaria was a meh I will play it anyways kind of game in WOD I still am getting that TBC vibe from it.
    Payday 2 I got this from the Ghost that gifts on steam and well I could not put it down I would take breaks because I was getting awful runs
    Hearthstone I play it now and again I don't like how it's a free to play pay to win type of game
    Bravely Default I was a late comer to and I only play it on my weekend
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call is tons of fun and is not the game I should be playing as I am going to bed
    Persona Q again I only play it on my weekends. I only knew of Persona from what people talked about. A lot of Tensei style games came out last year
    Rocksmith 2014 the original rocksmith got me to start playing the guitar again this improved upon it {still not going to play anything by Jack White I can't hear you pissed me off that much}
    Super Smash Brothers 3ds I only played the Demo and well I wasted those 30 tries with pride
    Mario Cart 8 now I and my brother are playing with the WIIU game pad and a WII chuck so I am being harassed to get a decent game pad.
    Senran Kagura is one fine boob them up
    Fantasy Life I feel bad I got bored and put it down a few weeks ago.

Now I bought the Prof Layton games expect for Layton/Wright and have not played them
    Nor have I played the Dual Destinies.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Games I completed this year

The Witcher 2 (the shitty path)
    The Witcher 2 (the good path)
    Kentucky Route Zero act 3
    Transistor
    Bastion
    Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes ("game")
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Infamous: Second Son
    Assassin's Creed Rogue

Games I played but did not complete

Was this the year I played Dark Souls or last year? I can't remember. It seems like that disc has always been at the bottom of the river, where it belongs.
    Thief (abandoned, boring as hell)
    The tutorial of Injustice (abandoned, holy shit awful garbage fire)
    Brutal Legend (liked it a lot but just could not slog my way through one of the later RTS battles)
    Assassin's Creed Unity (in progress)
    Far Cry 4 (in progress)
    Shadow of Mordor (in progress)
    Destiny. This is kind of a weird case because I finished the story missions but I have no plans to buy the expansions and all of the post-20 grind is just the worst and I'm not going to play it anymore.

Games I'm going to kick off 2015 with!

Nidhogg
    Jazzpunk
    Infamous: First Light

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2: The Dumbening was the most disappointing game I played this year by a pretty huge margin

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    i think the game i played the most was theatrhythm curtain call

that thing is fucking dangerous

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Lets see

New games I played this year:

Guacamelee Special Edition
    The Fall
    Broken Age Act 1
    Octodad
    Wolf Among Us
    Bravely Default
    DKC Tropical Freeze
    Tales of Xillia 2
    South Park Stick of Truth
    Dark Souls II
    Hearthstone
    Titanfall
    Luftrausers
    Mario Kart 8
    Kirby Triple Deluxe
    Wolfenstein
    Divinity Original Sin
    Freedom Planet
    Shovel Knight
    Shadow of Mordor
    Alien: Isolation
    Bayonetta 2
    Dragon Age Inquisition
    Mech Warrior Online
    Depth
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    Abyss Oddyssey
    Gunpoint
    Diablo III expansion (literally can't remember the name)
    Transistor
    Smash Bros

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Oh shit how did I forget Wolf Among Us?
    It was my completely unexpected runaway success for this year

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I still need to play Wolf Among Us

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I played civ 5 this year, it was my first exposure to 4x

Civ 5 is really fucking good

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Probably most notable is finally digging into the Civ series and 4x games. I'd only briefly tried the demos before, but now I'm really getting into it. I've got Civ 5 through family sharing, my own copy of BE, and looking forward to grabbing Endless Legend.

I was hesitant to get Transistor at first, but I ended up enjoying it even more than Bastion. Now I'm very interested in seeing more from Supergiant.

To see if I'd like Second Son I finally played the first Infamous and went on to enjoy the whole series. 2 was kind of weird but fun, while Second Son and First Light are just excellent.

Hearthstone and Diablo 3 continue to improve and are fun games to keep on the backburner.

Otherwise, I still need to finish Wolfenstein, Mordor, Advanced Warfare, and probably play more Destiny, but those have been enjoyable as well.

My only big disappointment was in Final Fantasy XIII-3, after really liking the second.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Lets see

New games I played this year:

Guacamelee Special Edition
    The Fall
    Broken Age Act 1
    Octodad
    Wolf Among Us
    Bravely Default
    DKC Tropical Freeze
    Tales of Xillia 2
    South Park Stick of Truth
    Dark Souls II
    Hearthstone
    Titanfall
    Luftrausers
    Mario Kart 8
    Kirby Triple Deluxe
    Wolfenstein
    Divinity Original Sin
    Freedom Planet
    Shovel Knight
    Shadow of Mordor
    Alien: Isolation
    Bayonetta 2
    Dragon Age Inquisition
    Mech Warrior Online
    Depth
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    Abyss Oddyssey
    Gunpoint
    Diablo III expansion (literally can't remember the name)

Chincy I know I didn't knock Smash Bros. off your list as well as your heart

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I've been eyeing FF14, but I just know I'm gonna be burned out shortly after hitting max level. It's a general rule for MMOs, I found.

Maybe! There's a lot to do and a bunch of worth while catch up mechanics that don't require a lot of beating your head against the wall.

Unless you like that.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    oh I forgot about Lethal League

it could be a little more precise and have a bit more variety, but given how it made it to an EVO showcase and it's presently one of the top best reviewed games on Steam, I'd put money on a sequel happening before long

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Chincy's GOTY Awards:

Most Detestable Characters and Writing:

Bravely Default

Money I flushed down the Toilet Award:

Abyss Odyssey

Most Disappointing:

Edit: Oh god its Transistor its transistor so hard, I nearly forgot
    Octodad/Shovel Knight runners up (both good games I wanted to like much much more than I did)

Most Novel Multiplayer:

Depth

Best Surprise:

Freedom Planet

Most improved
    (game that made the most meaningful improvements on the previous iteration):
    Dark Souls II

Best Worst Voiceover:

Wolfenstein

Best Idle Timewaster:
    Hearthstone

You Got Me Back Award
    CoD: Advanced Warfare

Ms. Chilla Guest Award for Favorite Game
    Wolf Among Us

Top Ten of the year

Honorable Mention:

The Fall: I fucking love this game, its incredible. And when the other episodes complete the story you bet your ass it will be on my top ten of whatever year that happens in.

10. DKC Tropical Freeze: Really Strong Platformer. Great look, feel, and sound. Want to go back and 100% this this year.
    9. Guacamelee: I am late to this one, but the art style, combat, and platforming were all great. Fun jokes, good metroidvania.
    8. Wolfenstein: Excellent shooter, fun atmosphere. Some frustrating padding and the characters weren't fleshed out enough but I loved the whole tone.
    7. Tales of Xillia 2: Another great tales game. Incredibly strong child character that I didn't expect, good closure from the previous game. Some serious heartbreak at the end.
    6. Bayonetta 2: Really great sequel. Breezy and fun, thought the characters and story were better than the first except for Loki.
    5. Freedom Planet: This was my Shovel Knight this year. I plaid mostly genesis as a kid and this captures the look and feel of games like Sonic and Ristar so fucking well. Good challenge and handles so, so very well. If you have ANY genesis Nostalgia you MUST get this game.
    4. Dark Souls 2: A better game in every respect than 1, but not as big of an impact on me because, well, I played the first one. Still, a more fun multi experience and better controls with some great levels and bosses. Need to play the DLC.
    3. South Park: So very, very good. Hilarious. Looks amazing, great voice acting, and more than anything the combat made me wish there was more of it. Love the LARPing aspect.
    2. Dragon Age Inquisition: Super, super solid. it would have won if not for a few too many bugs.
    1. Shadow of Mordor: Awesome batman combat, great traversal, nemesis system. One of my favorite of the past 5 years.

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    More people in this thread need to try Endless Legend or Dungeon of the Endless!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »

Chincy I know I didn't knock Smash Bros. off your list as well as your heart

I forgot a couple, made some edits

I have played much, much less smash bros than I should have for a game I've spent 100 on

its really good but its not grabbing me as much and lack of local people to play with is a big part

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I've played considerably less stuff this year than I have previously, partly due to time constraints and partly due to Netrunner taking up a lot of the gaming time I would've had.

What I've played a lot of:
    Dark Souls 2 (didn't finish, but liked)
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (liked a lot)
    Smash Brothers for 3DS (super cool)
    Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (campaign was almost really interesting and cool but boned it all up in the third act; multiplayer is still Call of Duty)
    Binding of Isaac Rebirth (good)
    Last of Us Remastered (Need to go back and finish the campaign, but I played a lot of the multiplayer and thought it was really neat)
    Dragon Age Inquisition (I mostly like it, but playing more of it makes me want to play less of it)
    Warframe (I played this instead of Destiny--Oberon might be my player character of the year because of his sick Lord of the Hunt look)
    SMITE (I have a fair amount of issues with this game but god damn if playing with @ThatDudeOverThere‌ and the rest of the Smite crew isn't some of the most fun I've had this year)
    WWE SuperCard (Don't play WWE SuperCard)
    Blade Symphony (this game is alright but my friends and I stumbled upon a fuckin' WILD custom server that makes it worth mentioning)
    Payday 2 (GET TO THE VAAAAAN)

What I want to play/play more of:
    Endless Legend (this game seems SO GOOD)
    Divinity Original Sin
    Shovel Knight
    Shadow of Mordor
    Invisible Inc.
    Kentucky Route Zero
    Wolf Among Us
    Game of Thrones
    Massive Chalice
    The Fall

• Options
    I have to say Transistor was my most disappointing game of the year as well.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Let's see

I played Borderlands 2 early this year. I wish I could've played it more with other people, but I still had an okay time.
    I played The Last of Us. It was pretty good, but it's not one of my all-time favourites or even game of the generation like it became for a lot of people.
    I put a hundred hours into GTA V! That was a lot of fun. Though the writing was ehhh. I do regret putting all that time into the PS3 version when I knew that I was going to get it on PC. Could've spent that time on something else in my backlog.
    Oh, I played Pokemon X/Y and Super Mario 3D Land! Mario was good, decent fun. Pokemon was uhh... okay? It was really easy and I didn't really care enough to get into nitty gritty of breeding or whatever I read people here talk about.

Then I went to school and six months later, I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 3! I'm really liking the game's vibe so far, though I still find myself wrestling with the controls occasionally.

• Options
    edited December 2014

so disappointing I forgot I played it!

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    MY TECHNICALLY RELEASED THIS YEAR GOTY

ALSO

http://youtu.be/j78X5LluM5U

AND

Is the online multi in this decent? I played it in person and it was fucking amazing.

• Options

so disappointing I forgot I played it!

I barely played it. I think I put 2 hours into it and completely lost interest.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    also here is the actual GOTY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8eVlUemZF8

• Options
    I'm having a hard time coming up with a GOTY

I played a lot of good games, some really good games, but I'm not sure I played anything that really stands apart from everything else I played.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Warlords of Draenor is probably the best WoW expansion they've done so far.

I love Revengeance, too, as with DmC. It was a really good year for CAGs, not a great year for RPGs, though.

• Options
    The control scheme is the toughest enemy you will face in any MGS game
    Or, well, until 4 I guess where the worst enemy becomes the series' depictions of female characters

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Most Detestable Characters and Writing:

Bravely Default

I am so on board with this.

Also might get my most disappointing game of the year, after all the hype I was given for it, that for Valiant Hearts.

• Options
    I know basically nothing about Bravely Default
    What was so detestable?

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I know basically nothing about Bravely Default
    What was so detestable?

All right, put on your goggles

Me and Chincy are about to have a fight

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    everyone sucks

Ringabell is a gross, disgusting misogynist, Tiz is a pathetic loser who whines a lot and Agnes is basically Frodo at his whiniest "only I can do this you all dont understand blah blah" bullcrap

All the enemies are cartoonishly evil who do horrible fucked up things for shock value

I hated it so much

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    First game I beat of the year was Bravely Def--oh..this is gonna be a thing.

WELL, I also got DKC: Tropical Freeze sweet jesus the music in this game is fantastic. Super Mario 3D World's too. And Mario Kart 8. Everyone else just outsource your soundtracks to Nintendo from now on, pls.

Not you, Wonderful 101. You are just perfect the way you are. Even if you're breaking my balls right now.

Inquisition, I really sunk a lot of time into you, and I enjoyed a good bit of that time. But you better be going somewhere good in the next game.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The reasons why Bravely Default is questionable
    comic368_zpse80a83d6.png
    comic371.png

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    let me see. this year I played

fading hearts
    infinite game works
    world end economica
    magical battle festa
    both agarest games
    sakura spirit
    backstage pass(early access)
    planetarium: the reverie of the little planet
    valkyria chronicles
    rune factory 3 and 4

I don't have a problem

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Oh I played Tomb Raider this year and man was that a good game

• Options
    In a year that I played some really good Jurps (this was the year I played The Last Story, Xenoblade, Persona 4, Shin Megami Tensei 4, and more!), Bravely Default was definitely one of the better ones

It's roughly comparable to one of the SNES Final Fantasies in terms of quality

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The game part of bravely default is pretty good, that is true

• Options
    I mean in terms of the whole package.

The way the different characters change over the course of the game - especially Tiz - really took me aback.

Also it's a strong contender for best soundtrack in a year that had some bonker-ass soundtracks.

dN0T6ur.png