As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2014 Remembrance Thread

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My Grandmother died this year.
    But she had Dementia and was nothing like at all who she once was.
    my father said just that she was gone years before.so when my uncle called my brother to tell him she had passed he told him what was said and my uncle did say that was a polite and understanding way to look at it

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    My dad died this year also. The holidays were especially hard. I'm glad they're almost over so the "first" holidays without him are done.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Anyone who says that nothing positive happened needs to think differently. As long as you gained experiences and learned, the bad things that happened this year can only lead to good things later in life.

While it may seem bad now, perhaps in a few years you'll look back and realized how important it was to making you the person you want to be.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    look, if someone said they had a shitty year
    the appropriate response is to nod sagely and commiserate

they know it wasn't all bad
    telling them that is stating the obvious

hopefully I'm not sounding super hostile, here
    but positivism has ALWAYS rang hollow for me

and if you had a good year and feel great, then I'm happy for you

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I didn't have a great year but I absolutely believe in being positive.

I can look back at all of the shit that's happened in my life that I thought was absolutely horrible and see that it shaped me as a person. I would not be who I am today if I hadn't gone through the horseshit I've been through.

If encouraging someone to be positive and think positively is considered wrong then that makes me sad.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    This year was a pretty good year

Went on my first cruise, got a new job, got new internet, am much more stable, financially.

My grandmother will likely not make it far into 2015, but hopefully the rest of the year will be better

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    everybody handles their shit differently

just be there for them and listen

it helps a lot more than you may realize

Miss me? Find me on:

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    2014 mostly alright

back to school part time, actually doing well, maybe turned a corner or at least found my way to do well, trying not to over think it

some stuff over the last 2-3 months kicked off a sweet general anxiety spiral that I am going to talk to my doctor about next week

still bad at personal relationships and I probably need to sort some stuff out there too

otherwise family is mostly good, friends are mostly good, and this year I generally took better care of myself than I have in years

2015 has some worries that I know I can handle if I on top of it and stop being such a baby

2x39jD4.jpg
    Whatever, people deal with their shit they way they deal with it. I have my method and you have yours. Don't tell me my method is wrong though because you disagree with it. I've helped a lot of people through being positive and I'll continue to do so.

I also know when a person doesn't need to hear positive things and just needs someone to listen. Depends on the person.

Regardless, I don't want to argue here. That's not what this is supposed to be about.

right

I only had people tell me my whole life that positive thinking will fix all my problems

:rotate:

Miss me? Find me on:

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    This been pretty much an extended crappy year for me, peeps I like either died or turned out to be a complete goosehead . My dog died while I was working. Good dependable colleagues left one by one. The goosehole who absolutely hated my guts after a really minor incident 3 years got promoted to head position of the team through sheer senority. And then at the end of the year my mom was diagnosed with cancer. I am starting to think that I might be in the darkest timeline for now.

Anyway fuck this year man, I just want to get it over and done with. 1 more hour to go from this part of the planet.

Peas on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I got a transplant, so that was alright I guess.

Then I put on a bunch of weight after and have been doing a shitty job of getting rid of it again.

I went and visited ceres and met her husband and kid, went to PAX, found out that the desert kind of sucks, that Kraken with Coke Zero works alright, and that I like cider.

Now I just gotta find a job and get back out there.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Speaking of ceres, you may want to check if Vegas is in utter chaos yet, as it's supposed to fucking snow there tonight.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Speaking of ceres, you may want to check if Vegas is in utter chaos yet, as it's supposed to fucking snow there tonight.

That seems like awfully bad timing.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    Living in Minnesota I always get a kick out of the reaction to snow. Friend of mine on Facebook who lives in the Cali desert put a pic of her Jeep "covered in snow" but to me, it was barely a dusting.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

Yeah I keep hearing that but I don't believe it. Also people are calling it a "blizzard", which.. heh. Well.

I love snow so much. I would love for it to snow here.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I too would love for it to snow here but I am scared because people here would have no idea how to drive in it

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I think this has been my most travelsome year so far.

And as a result, the year that my flight anxiety has been at a record high.

Someone needs to hurry up and develop teleportation already, gosh.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    It's over, it's finally over!

*sniffs*

The air is already smelling better I must say

*pukes*

Add Edward Herrmann to the list.

Fuck.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Man, I just watched the HIMYM episode where he dies literally 2 days ago. That is uncanny.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The reports are saying "Gilmore Girls star" but let us never forget his seminal role in The Lost Boys.

I think Lost Boys first, Gilmore Girls second.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I spend every new year's eve/day being thankful that a shitty year is finally behind me

this year is no different

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I was gonna try to find a topical Pete Seeger song to post, and well, I spent an entire New Year's Afternoon listening to folk, crying, and drinking sung words of their wisdom.
    I guess that sentence reads like an self absorbed ass, but I invite you to taste some folk music tonight, too.
    This song below isn't topical, and it wasn't Seeger's, but represents what Seeger spent his life and talent trying to highlight.
    A shared beauty in all of humanity, ready to be embraced once you look beyond language, race, class, war, and heritage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5JLCAIJLJ8

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Singularity Ladies and Queens, if you ever watched The Gilmore Girls, the patriarch, Richard Gilmore as passed away.

http://jezebel.com/edward-herrmann-beloved-star-of-gilmore-girls-has-died-1676882872

Rest in peace. Edward Herrmann had brain cancer and was on life support for a month before his family decided he suffered enough. He was 71.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    For the entirety of the year I have had both internal and external ulcers and have dealt with the realization at 29 that I will not ever be healthy enough to actually do what I love doing and went to school for

so

it ain't been great

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    2014 was a year of remarkable change

I got my degree. I was hired and terminated both under extraordinary circumstances. My fiance left me. I moved halfway across the United States. I'm currently living further away than I've ever been from my family in a land where winter days are 70 degrees. And I've found a great new friend in my roommate that I barely knew before I moved into his house.

Hopefully 2015 will calm down and I'll be able to sit on a sand dune sipping margaritas for most of it

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    In 2014 after years of waiting and procrastinating, I finally brought my Harley down to ATL.

and spent 3 weeks having it worked on, and waiting on weather. In those 3 weeks I developed a severe blood infection that settled in my hip, requiring bone and tissue to be removed in emergency surgery, narrowly avoiding amputation. The joint was reconstructed with cadaver bone and "spare tissue".

The surgery and healing process was subpar, and the end result is I am unable to safely operate the bike.

Never even got to properly ride her.

easysig2.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    it is now 2015 here. but I'm sick and feelin kind of crappy, I was sick 4 times in 2014. I'm never sick that much, it sucked.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    2014 was the year (and I still can hardly believe I can legitimately say this) that I became a luchador.

2015 is looking to be the year we finally make some decent progress on our finances. We got brand new private health insurance for Amy, that with all her chronic health issues, is looking to save us hundreds of dollars each month. Plus, we will be killing at least two significant debts by the end of the year that will be a few more hundy not flying out the door each month.

BLM - ACAB
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    In 2014 after years of waiting and procrastinating, I finally brought my Harley down to ATL.

and spent 3 weeks having it worked on, and waiting on weather. In those 3 weeks I developed a severe blood infection that settled in my hip, requiring bone and tissue to be removed in emergency surgery, narrowly avoiding amputation. The joint was reconstructed with cadaver bone and "spare tissue".

The surgery and healing process was subpar, and the end result is I am unable to safely operate the bike.

Trike.

• KosenjouKosenjou Registered User regular
    My wife died in July.
    So fucking glad this year is over.

• CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »

I've seen you in various states of undress.

You don't have any "spare tissue"

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    great grandmother, grandpa perez...and the fucking family dog Sugar died in the same month

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    didnt really cry about the grandparents given they were well, pretty up there in age and in a bad way

the dog, i lost it because i mean, a dog cant tell you anything. she could like, look all sad and whatnot though. gah, fuck

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    IpseDixit was a big loss for the forums. Between him being the Trava to my Shinkai as far as Redline fandom goes, and his veritable font of wisdom regarding bikes... yeah, he was a great guy

Ipse was a good dude

I regret not spending more time with him when he was around

he lived close by, and I missed my last opportunity to see him

fuck this shitty fucking year

Miss me? Find me on:

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I am in an incredibly better position in my life going into 2015 then I was at the beginning

This time last year was the only time in my life I could say that I was really isolated and friendless. I was doubting my future, had no confidence in my ability to handle my courseload let alone things like research and volunteering, felt out of shape, and the idea of a relationship was more a joke then a hope.

But a year later I'm perhaps more rich in friends then I ever have been in my life, I've never come as close to feeling as loved and cared about and belonging to a group of people as I have with them. I'm living with 7 other people but each and every one of them I count on as a friend. I've done fantastic in my courses and discovered a respect and enjoyment for chemistry that's redirecting and reaffirming my career path, I'm involved in research for a great cause, and just two weeks ago I was put on the same leadership team of an organization full of people that I deeply admire and whose company I enjoy to organize large scale community service events. I'm stronger and more in shape and upped my fashion game to boot. And maybe best of all I met and am dating and amazing girl!

It's the kind of thing that you don't really realize how dramatically your life has changed until you look back on it. Some of this shit feels unreal typing it and if 2015 can be a fucking fourth of the year 2014 was then I'm the luckiest asshole alive.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Warning: relatively un-jaded young man's ramblings on romance below

I did break up with my girlfriend of 16 months in late October, but all things considered that's pretty minor. The breakup was amicable enough that the lessons learned were probably more valuable than stringing ourselves along would've been. She helped me feel value in myself, and less alone, but by the end of it I'd come to realize that I didn't need her to feel that way. Breaking up with her also meant that I had a lot more reason to talk to a lot of people in my life who I'd been a bit negligent about keeping up with, especially with moving from my hometown and transitions to college causing a huge shift in my life. So that mix of loss, but also rebuilding ties with the people who I hadn't lost, was a bittersweet thing to take away from the year.