As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread from last year....

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Riokenn wrote: »
    He means to reassign your points from STR to VIT at fity.
    Esh wrote: »
    I'm almost a level 11 GLD. I'm loving it so far. What should I spend my ability points on?

Straight STR for levelling to 50. If you really need to, go half and half, but at 50, when you're still learning the ropes, and until you get better gear, you might wanna pour it into VIT.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the bold.

You can respec your points later on. Generally you want to put it all into STR as you level since the hardest thing for a GLD as they level is holding threat (until they get all their threat abilities). More STR helps with that. However once you hit 50 the content becomes much harder and will require you to have more health so you will want to switch your points into VIT to gain the extra HP. Once you gear up a bit and are more familiar with the content you are tackling you can switch it back over to STR as your experience and gear will make up the difference.

Then when you are even more geared and much more experienced you can even start switching out your VIT gear for more STR gear depending on the content you are fighting.

Okay, cool. I didn't know you could respec the points down the line.

Yeah, it's just an item you buy from your Grand Company for like 200 GC seals or so. Used to be 10k if I remember right.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    I made a separate chat tab that only shows mob abilities, "Giruveganaus readies charge" and the like. Handy for fights like this where you may not have both mobs in view.

I've ended up soloing that boss on my Bard, but no video = no sweet, sweet reddit karma. :bigfrown:

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    I made a separate chat tab that only shows mob abilities, "Giruveganaus readies charge" and the like. Handy for fights like this where you may not have both mobs in view.

I've ended up soloing that boss on my Bard, but no video = no sweet, sweet reddit karma. :bigfrown:

That just leaves the standard way to earn reddit karma, threatening and harassing female journalists

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »

That just leaves the standard way to earn reddit karma, threatening and harassing female journalists

You may not like reddit, and that's fine, but I don't think that statement is really appropriate. It's not really fair to damn an entire [insert large group of people here] by the actions of the misguided few.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Yukira wrote: »
    That fight is all about dodging. There's no agro table.

Yup, and fun fact that dungeon in particular can be run without a Tank at all. It would be slower but it's entirely doable. All three Boss fights have very little focused damage on the threat target (Hell the second and third bosses are not actually "tanked" at all)
    Faster actually as long as you don't wipe. The extra damage, especially on the last boss with his stupid amounts of HP is really nice.

I don't think it would be faster than actual speed runs though. There are some big pulls you can only do with Tank mitigation and threat in there. For the Bosses sure, but for the overall dungeon speed I think the fastest would be with a Tank and big AoE pulls.

I guess that's probably true. I've never actually done that instance with a tank that was doing massive pulls. Haven't done it since the patch.
    Just with there being so many locked doors and set-pieces I figured it wasn't really a thing.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That fight is all about dodging. There's no agro table.

Yup, and fun fact that dungeon in particular can be run without a Tank at all. It would be slower but it's entirely doable. All three Boss fights have very little focused damage on the threat target (Hell the second and third bosses are not actually "tanked" at all)
    Faster actually as long as you don't wipe. The extra damage, especially on the last boss with his stupid amounts of HP is really nice.

I don't think it would be faster than actual speed runs though. There are some big pulls you can only do with Tank mitigation and threat in there. For the Bosses sure, but for the overall dungeon speed I think the fastest would be with a Tank and big AoE pulls.

I guess that's probably true. I've never actually done that instance with a tank that was doing massive pulls. Haven't done it since the patch.
    Just with there being so many locked doors and set-pieces I figured it wasn't really a thing.

Totally doable. When I was doing it for my zodiac relic item, we had it down to about 17 minutes. A well geared tank, healer, and a couple of BLMs mean you can gather almost everything to every gate and just nuke them down.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Regardless if you are for or against redit, it is pretty off-topic for this thread. Let us please not get a thread lock over it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm almost a level 11 GLD. I'm loving it so far. What should I spend my ability points on?

Straight STR for levelling to 50. If you really need to, go half and half, but at 50, when you're still learning the ropes, and until you get better gear, you might wanna pour it into VIT.

You can respec your points later on. Generally you want to put it all into STR as you level since the hardest thing for a GLD as they level is holding threat (until they get all their threat abilities). More STR helps with that. However once you hit 50 the content becomes much harder and will require you to have more health so you will want to switch your points into VIT to gain the extra HP. Once you gear up a bit and are more familiar with the content you are tackling you can switch it back over to STR as your experience and gear will make up the difference.

Then when you are even more geared and much more experienced you can even start switching out your VIT gear for more STR gear depending on the content you are fighting.

Up until 50, you should be dumping points into VIT, because you're still learning, and more importantly, the healers in your party are still learning, so you need as much HP as possible. Sure, PLD needs as much help as possible generating aggro early on, but the tiny bits you'll get from the bonus points don't add up until later.

After you hit 50, that's when you can swap to STR instead of VIT (including right-side accessories), since you're more likely to know what's up, and more likely to run into people that know what they're doing.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Up until 50, you should be dumping points into VIT, because you're still learning, and more importantly, the healers in your party are still learning, so you need as much HP as possible. Sure, PLD needs as much help as possible generating aggro early on, but the tiny bits you'll get from the bonus points don't add up until later.

After you hit 50, that's when you can swap to STR instead of VIT (including right-side accessories), since you're more likely to know what's up, and more likely to run into people that know what they're doing.

Nah. I've got both WAR and PLD to 50 and currently tank FCoB, and I can tell you, you don't need to dump points into VIT while levelling to 50. Just keep your gear up to date and you'll be perfectly fine. There's nothing in any of the dungeons that's gonna hit you so hard that you're gonna fall over without the proper amount of health (well, maybe Coincounter's swing, but you should be avoiding that anyway). As a GLD/PLD, and especially between 30-40 when you don't have shield oath yet, dumping into STR for that extra aggro generation is a big deal. It's not "tiny bits" by any means.

Honestly though, it doesn't matter that much either way, as levelling to 50 isn't that rough at all. Just pay attention to what you're doing, hope your healers are good, and you'll be fine.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    And most importantly as a tank:
    USE YOUR DARN COOL DOWNS!

Rampart, Foresight, Convalescence, Awareness, Vengeance, Bloodbath + Berserk, Bulwark, Thrill of Battle, Sentinel. There's only two 'Oh Shit' cool downs, everything else you use whenever you notice you're taking a bit more damage than you'd expect. Heck, just use them as a matter of course since their cool down is rather short. 20 or so extra vitality while levelling isn't that much compared to increasing your effective HP by 20/30/40%

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Yeah, I never had any points in str when I leveled my paladin.
    And I'm really bad about using my cooldowns during non-scary moments. When I remember to, it's good.
    Think of it as a DPS boost because the less the healer has to heal you, the more they can cleric stance.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »

Rampart, Foresight, Convalescence, Awareness, Vengeance, Bloodbath + Berserk, Bulwark, Thrill of Battle, Sentinel. There's only two 'Oh Shit' cool downs, everything else you use whenever you notice you're taking a bit more damage than you'd expect. Heck, just use them as a matter of course since their cool down is rather short. 20 or so extra vitality while levelling isn't that much compared to increasing your effective HP by 20/30/40%

Speaking of which, when is the best situation to use Berserk?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    everyone, it joke.

it might be a bad joke, for which I apologize. I even use reddit. just not r/gaming. and that was even before certain subgroups did certain things.

sorry. On topic, I just blew up 90k worth of potash by doing bad math

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

When you are with an awesome healer who leaches/esunas the Pacification debuff 8-)

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Every time when you're going to be able to make full use of its duration, and you're not expecting any adds to pop up during your pacification debuff. For the latter, depending on the adds and how they spawn you may even just ignore the Pacification debuff because you can still Flash (which is counted as a magic so Silence disables that)

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    everyone, it joke.

it might be a bad joke, for which I apologize. I even use reddit. just not r/gaming. and that was even before certain subgroups did certain things.

sorry. On topic, I just blew up 90k worth of potash by doing bad math

I just woke up, so for about 3 seconds I thought I was in the science thread and that your boss was going to be maaaad...

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    clOsj5c.png

Samurai denied
    For now, but not forever
    For now, this hat serves.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I prefer the snake hat, but the MOG station has the dragon themed kabuto availabe now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    I can't believe how much content is being churned out so regularly by this team.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Ugh, I've been slacking in the Raids department. Usually I just do my dailies and log off but seeing the game progress so quickly I really wanna push to clear Second Coil and Shiva EX before the patch.

And maybe final coil....

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    I'm not ready for another patch already!

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Yesss, gimme that DX11 goodness.

• Options
    Yesss, gimme that DX11 goodness.

I don't think that's in 2.5, but I fully agree. Can't wait.

• Options
    Ugh, I've been slacking in the Raids department. Usually I just do my dailies and log off but seeing the game progress so quickly I really wanna push to clear Second Coil and Shiva EX before the patch.

And maybe final coil....

2nd Coil doable if you get into one of Aisk's learning groups. You're not clearing FCoB that fast though. Maybe a turn or two of it.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular

And maybe final coil....

2nd Coil doable if you get into one of Aisk's learning groups. You're not clearing FCoB that fast though. Maybe a turn or two of it.

That was the group on Saturday right? I just happened to log on around 10-11PM and say what I usually say in FC chat when I log on and got invited to the Casper Party.

It was a nice gift, never expected to clear Ramuh EX that night at all. So it was nice of them to run me through it.
    It's not much but I made sure to donate 70k in the Guild bank for the run. 10k for each member that took the time to run it with me. :)

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    The Casper stuff and Soup's T9 learning groups are actually separate (but related).
    Caspers do clear/carry runs for people to get them past gating content they've been stuck on so they can see new stuff.
    Soups got the T9 thing going as a way for people to actually learn it, and also as a bit of a recruitment thing.
    They both use the Learning Hour linkshell.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Can't wait for the end of the main storyline. I really want the expansion to get here so we can see all new story stuffs!

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Ooooo, Setzer equipment.

Also, when do the Caspers do their runs? I always seem to miss them.

• Options
    Ooooo, Setzer equipment.

Saturday Evenings usually I believe

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I like helping in soup's parties. We got a pretty solid number of people to second golems last time I was there. It's cool seeing people start understanding it and progressing every time we go in

• Options
    I've only made it to one. Normally they happen while I'm not on. Once I was in one but stepped out to make room for a set of 4 friends who were a package deal.
    Would have gone last night but it got canceled due to plumbing emergencies. D'oh!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Ooooo, Setzer equipment.

Time zone?

• Options
    Ooooo, Setzer equipment.

Time zone?

Not sure really it varies a bit but around 6pm PST most of the time I think?

Basically it's whenever we can get enough people on to help get people through things

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Reminder of what we know is coming in 2.5 Part 1:
    • First Arc of Patch 2.5 Main Scenario
    • Hildibrand (To Be Concluded?)
    • New Dungeons
      -The Keeper of the Lake
      -The Wanderer's Palace (Hard)
      -Amdapor Keep (Hard)
    • The World of Darkness (Crystal Tower Finale)
    • Urth's Fount (Odin Primal Battle)
    • Revenge of Gilgamesh
    • A New Mystery Trial
    • New Rules for Frontline
    • Aetherial Wheel (???)
    • New Crafting Recipes

For those wondering Golden Saucer is coming in 2.51

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Ooooo, Setzer equipment.

Time zone?

Basically it's whenever we can get enough people on to help get people through things

Good deal, I've been wondering about this as I need a T9 kill in a bad way.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    Ooooo, Setzer equipment.

Time zone?

I highly recommend learning T9 over being carried. Besides an actual feeling of accomplishment, it helps you train for FCoB. If you can't manage to learn T9 without a carry, you're certainly not gonna clear FCoB.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have not seen content come out this fast since Rift.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I have not seen content come out this fast since Rift.

That is what I have heard as well. Having only played Rift for the better part of one day before writing it off completely I'm curious as to the volume of content that was reportedly released for it. My buddy and I tried to play it but couldn't really get into it.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GreyWolfyGreyWolfy Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Ooooo, Setzer equipment.

Time zone?

I highly recommend learning T9 over being carried. Besides an actual feeling of accomplishment, it helps you train for FCoB. If you can't manage to learn T9 without a carry, you're certainly not gonna clear FCoB.

I dunno, I think T10-12 are easier than T9 tbh. Plus, T13 isn't exactly "harder" mechanic wise compared to T9, just more of a gear check. Really, you could probably step into third coil w/o any second coil experience and learn just as fast as any other normal group imo.

FFXIV: Rexus Kalev - Sargatanas
This discussion has been closed.