As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn your books! [eReaders] are here!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    How is it that Amazon thinks it is even remotely ok to force an OTA update that wipes out the screensavers I added to the second gen Paperwhite that I own? There is literally no difference between 5.4.2 and 5.4.2.1

If it was an ad supported Kindle I could understand, but it's not.

Now I have to find my fucking USB cable and jailbreak it again.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Companies don't think you have the right to do what you want to the stuff you own, that's how. Did the same shit to the Fire. Nintendo did it to the Wii etc etc. Really annoying. Downside to this digital age.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    SO I grabbed a nook simple touch on black friday because of the price. It's been nice. I've loaded it up with some books and use it somewhat regularly.

Then I grabbed a kindle fire the other week because some refurb place has them for $40... and I honestly just don't know what to do with it. I don't really need it for anything. I suppose I can try reading comics on it? Netflix is nice i guess? I'll throw a pdf of my design portfolio on it so I can have that on the go.

I guess I just see it filling gaps already covered by other devices I own?

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    That's how I feel about most tablets. They're ok at doing a lot of things and great at pretty much only reading comic books/PDFs.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    For some reason my husband doesn't really like reading on eink (don't ask me why, I have no clue) and so he does all his reading on the fire. He really only uses a computer for homework and gaming, all incidental surfing and all reading are tablet based for him. So there are people out there that use them as readers.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    I know several people who use Tablets for everything. It's very understandable why techblogs like to say the desktop is dead.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I have one specific epub that locks up my Kobo Aura. After a cold boot, I can get maybe 10 pages in before each page turner is slower than the last. Eventually the reader barely responds. I have to put it to sleep and then wake it back up to get a page turn (after plenty of delay.) If I manage to get back to my homescreen and switch to another book,everything goes back to normal.

Any ideas whats up with this epub file? I'd gladly edit the book myself in calibre if I had any idea what it was I needed to edit.
    Edit: Problems seem to always start once I get past page 15 in the book.
    Edit edit: There are three broken image links on the page of the book the issues begin at. Looking at the epub, it looks like the publisher simply didn't include the pictures in the epub. The code referencing for them is still there though. I tried deleting the references to the missing images (emailing customer support too, since I'm guessing this is something they can fix for me after all.) but its still sluggish.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    How do people feel about the Kindle Paperwhite? I'm thinking of replacing my Kindle Touch and I love the idea of being able to read at night. How is the light?

• Options
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    How do people feel about the Kindle Paperwhite? I'm thinking of replacing my Kindle Touch and I love the idea of being able to read at night. How is the light?

I'm in love with it. I got the first, then upgraded to the newer one when it came out. The light is great and very adjustable. I can't compare it to a touch because I went from the Keyboard to the Paperwhite.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The best thing about the paperwhite, besides the light, and besides the size, is just how much it actually looks like paper. I upgraded from a 3/Keyboard and it was a noticeable difference.

My coworkers have commented on it, even.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    The 2013 paperwhite is amazing, the best thing to read on besides an actual book. I just want a bigger screen. The whispers of bendable and color e-ink have me excited, though that's probably many years away.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I had the 3rd gen keyboard and switched to the 1st gen paperwhite. Best upgrade ever.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So I have an older Kindle. I still like it and don't want to upgrade. However, I do all of my recreational reading in bed before sleep. In order to not disturb my wife, I need a good booklight. I have a Kandle, and it's great, but the batteries run out a bit too quickly for my tastes.

What I really want is a rechargable book light, or a cover for the kindle with a book light or something. Alternatively, some sort of plug spot light that I can attach to my bed's headboard and adjust the direction but with a light that won't really brighten the room, just a specific spot.

Basically I want to read in the dark without buying batteries every few weeks. Any recommendations?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The paperwhite is the most amazing thing in the universe.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    So I have an older Kindle. I still like it and don't want to upgrade. However, I do all of my recreational reading in bed before sleep. In order to not disturb my wife, I need a good booklight. I have a Kandle, and it's great, but the batteries run out a bit too quickly for my tastes.

What I really want is a rechargable book light, or a cover for the kindle with a book light or something. Alternatively, some sort of plug spot light that I can attach to my bed's headboard and adjust the direction but with a light that won't really brighten the room, just a specific spot.

Basically I want to read in the dark without buying batteries every few weeks. Any recommendations?

The Kindle Keyboard on up all have leather lighted covers. With the older models you may have to Ebay them however as they're discontinued. I don't know if the K1 or K2 had lighted covers, I'm not sure how old you're talking.

I do, however, agree that the Paperwhite is the most amazing thing ever. I love mine and being about to adjust your brightness is amazing for someone that gets light reactive headaches.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    For the price I would probably upgrade to a paperwhite, then sell your old kindle for like $50 or something, depending on which version it is, and you'll break even versus the cost of buying a cover or other lighting device. The paper white is the fucking best.

One thing I found really cool, when I fired up my new paperwhite, it had all the same settings and book groups that I had set up on my old kindle. That was fucking pimp right there. I just had to re-download the actual books, but that took like a half hour or less.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I ran the idea of the paperwhite by my wife in a sort of semi-joking, see how she responds kind of way. No dice!

And in fairness, I don't really want to spend $150 on a new reader, since mine works great, and I really have no issues with it other than reading at night with the lights off.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

I just got one, my Kindle 3rd Gen (keyboard) is still good but I caved in for the upgrade, as I still consider the original Kindle one of my better purchases ever.

Holee sheeet. Should have done this sooner. Fast, practical light (which doesn't disturb others in a dark room), very useful for highlighting ... love it.
    Going to have to put some custom screensavers on it though

Alegis on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I lost my Paperwhite and cannot find it. Worst thing ever to happen. :( If I do get the little bugger back, I'm buying a bright orange case for it.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Alegis wrote: »

I just got one, my Kindle 3rd Gen (keyboard) is still good but I caved in for the upgrade, as I still consider the original Kindle one of my better purchases ever.

Holee sheeet. Should have done this sooner. Fast, practical light (which doesn't disturb others in a dark room), very useful for highlighting ... love it.
    Going to have to put some custom screensavers on it though
    Paperwhites are just like Persona 4 Golden.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Was just given a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 from my parents. My Dad had bought it and never used it, so my Mom shipped it to me. I'm enjoying it so far want to know any "Need to Have" apps?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Depends on what you want to do with it. Need an ereader app that can read epub if you do that as amazon's doesn't, if you listen to Pandora their app is handy. The Android Games thread may be of interest.

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Was just given a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 from my parents. My Dad had bought it and never used it, so my Mom shipped it to me. I'm enjoying it so far want to know any "Need to Have" apps?

I like having ezPDF Reader. It's very nice for being able to annotate PDF's, and I like that reading them is a page turn rather than a scroll.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Depends on what you want to do with it. Need an ereader app that can read epub if you do that as amazon's doesn't, if you listen to Pandora their app is handy. The Android Games thread may be of interest.

Using it mostly as a media player. I use calibre to convert if needed but might load that so to stop having to convert.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I was gifted a paperwhite (6th gen) for Christmas. Help me use it!

I've done some reading on my Nexus 7, and it's ok but seems like this would be much better. Do I need to unlock/jailbreak it?

• Options
    Not if you just want to read on it, no.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I've done some reading on my Nexus 7, and it's ok but seems like this would be much better. Do I need to unlock/jailbreak it?

Some people jailbreak kindles to put custom screen savers on them but I've never seen the point. If you want to put books on it sourced from places other than the Amazon store Calibre is a nice program you can use for organization. You can also use your amazon email to send it to your kindle. You probably already know but I'll mention that the kindle only reads .mobi book and .azn (default file from the Amazon store). Places like Project Gutenburg will almost always have the file already formatted for the kindle but you can convert any non DRM file to .mobi using Calibre.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Awesome, thanks. The screensaver thing is cool but probably not going to mess with it right now if that's all it does. I remember that the Nook used to be popular to hack into a regular android tablet.

Don't know much about ebooks, actually. Just that they're for books. :) . I copied over a few classics from Gutenburg to give it a try.

• Options
    Awesome, thanks. The screensaver thing is cool but probably not going to mess with it right now if that's all it does. I remember that the Nook used to be popular to hack into a regular android tablet.

Don't know much about ebooks, actually. Just that they're for books. :) . I copied over a few classics from Gutenburg to give it a try.

The power with the kindle is the cloud syncing. My kindle stays at home except for long vacations, but I have the app on my phone. I read at home, it syncs my last position to the internet, and when I fire up that book on my phone to read when I'm on lunch break or out and about, BAM, right where I left off.

The kindle also works great for managing DnD campaigns. Create stuff in word such as monster stat blocks, plot points, etc. Use Calibri to convert to Mobi, and port to your Kindle.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

If you don't have the official case, get it. It makes the Paperwhite even more of a pleasure to use, if you can imagine such a thing.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    I was going to ask about that too.

How sturdy is the paperwhite? Do i need to worry about the screen scratching?

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

I don't think so. I don't even know if they make a screen protector for it. I know that I never had any problems scratching the screen on my old Sony ereader, and I've not yet damaged the Paperwhite in the month or so that I've been using it.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options

Kindles in general aren't necessarily fragile but I wouldn't travel with it without a case. I wouldn't say they're prone to scratching but they're as vulnerable to stress fractures as any other large screen electronic device. On previous Kindles I used 3rd party covers and they were fine but with the Paperwhite 1&2 (I upgraded and gave my original to a friend) I used the Amazon case and it is very nice. Doesn't add much in weight or size but feels very protected.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I can vouch for the first generation Paperwhite Kindles surviving just fine without a cover. The plastic got all dinged up and scratched, but the screen held up just fine, no scratches, perfectly working touchscreen, even after a year of use.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    The only ereader I'm aware of having fragility issues is the white Nook Glowlight. Pretty much everything else is about as sturdy as your average tablet/phone. Probably sturdier since they don't use glass screens, but you also don't put your ereader in the same pocket as your keys.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I dunno about the newer ones, but I did get an annoying spot on my screen on my 2 when I put it in my pocket and I dunno, something hit it or something?

Get a case

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    The only ereader I'm aware of having fragility issues is the white Nook Glowlight. Pretty much everything else is about as sturdy as your average tablet/phone. Probably sturdier since they don't use glass screens, but you also don't put your ereader in the same pocket as your keys.

There is usually a glass substrate in the screens E-Ink produces, so the screen is still fragile to some extent. Most of the ereaders I've had to exchange or return at work have had slight screen shatters or stress fractures in the substrate.

Tends to be covered by most manufacturers under their warranties, though, including Amazon.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    On the topic of ereader covers, I'm going to shill for Oberon Designs again because their products are fantastic. I've gotten their cases for all 3 Kindles I've owned and whenever I finally upgrade to a Paperwhite I'll get another one from them. Totally worth the price imo.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    If you want something cheaper I'll shill Roocase. Granted I don't take my Fire out hiking or anything, but it hasn't fallen apart from daily use in over a year so far.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    A bubble wrap mailer. Works perfectly.