As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[One Night Ultimate Werewolf]

ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in Critical Failures
One Night Ultimate Werewolf

Welcome to our One Night Ultimate Werewolf thread! When played face to face, this is a game of werewolf/mafia/phalla that finishes in the span of about 5 minutes. We're going to slow this down to forum time, and have each round take 30 minutes.

Similar to normal werewolf/mafia/Phalla, it is the village's goal to vote out a werewolf:
* Any time the village votes out a werewolf, the village wins.
* Any time the village votes out a non-werewolf, the village loses.
* There is the low chance that there are no werewolves in play - if so, the village must figure out that there are no werewolves, and decide to abstain from voting.
* If the entire village chooses to abstain from voting, and it turns out that a werewolf was present in the village, then the village is eaten and devoured.

Wait what? You can have a game where there are no werewolves?

Yup - let me explain:

How this works:

There are two phases - a single night phase, and a single day phase:

Night Phase:

At the start of the game, the host will publicly announce the roles in play (e.g. seer, villager, werewolf, etc). Unless otherwise announced, there will always:
1.) Be three more roles than there are players.
2.) Have two werewolves present.

This means that there will be three unassigned roles in the "middle of the table". It is possible that both werewolf roles are in the middle of the table.

All players are now randomly assigned a role (e.g. seer, villager) via PM.

Some roles require you to target one or more players, or one of the unassigned roles on the table. If applicable, the player will reply, via PM, the target of their choice.

Once all players have responded with their targets, the host will resolve the actions and reply back with the results via PM.

These actions may change your role in the game.

i.e. the role you started the night with may not be your role when you wake up, but you might not know what your new role is and will have to rely on the rest of the village to deduce your new role

And now, the game starts.

Day Phase:

There will be 30 minutes to discuss and vote who you think the werewolf is. You may claim anything - but only in the thread. You cannot discuss anything via PM to another player, but you may request clarification via PM to the host. At this point in time, it is not possible to end the day early (but we might work that into the game later on).

Once the day ends, we'll tally up the votes, and the player with the most votes is voted out.

Ties eliminate all players who are tied.

If the village is attempting to abstain, then everyone must cast their vote as !abstain. If even one person does not abstain, then the player with the most votes is voted out.

Sounds like normal werewolf/mafia/Phalla - what's the twist?

The role that you start out with at the start of the night might not be the role you end up with at the end of the night.

The Roles

Certain roles require that actions be taken at night - in order of how these are resolved:

Werewolf - Werewolf aligned

You start the night as a werewolf, and during the night phase:
1.) If there are two werewolf players, we will PM you both and tell you who the other werewolf is.
2.) If there is only one werewolf player (i.e. the other werewolf role is unassigned), you may choose to look at one of the unassigned roles. Select unassigned role 1, 2, or 3, and we'll PM you back with the unassigned role.

Minion - Friends of werewolves

You start the night as a werewolf minion. You know who the werewolves are - but they do not know who you are.

If the game has no werewolf players, then the minion's goal is to survive the day without being voted out.
If the game has werewolf players, then the minion can also win if they are voted out and all the werewolves survive.

Mason - Village aligned

You start the night as a mason, and during the night phase:
1.) If there are two mason players, we will PM you both and tell you who the other mason in.
2.) If there is only one mason player (i.e. the other mason role is unassigned), then you know that the other mason role is one of the unassigned cards.

Seer - Village aligned

You start the night as the seer, and during the night phase:
1.) Look at the role card of any other player, or
2.) Look at two of the unassigned role cards on the table. Select out of unassigned roles 1, 2, or 3, and we'll PM you back with the results.

You must PM your target back to the host.

Robber - Village aligned

You start the night as the robber, and during the night phase:
1.) Do nothing, or
2.) Rob the role of any other player by swapping your role with the target player. You are now on the team as your new role, and the target player is now village aligned as the new robber.

Trouble Maker - Village aligned

You start the night as the trouble maker, and during the night phase:
1.) Do nothing, or
2.) Swap the roles of any other two players (i.e. not including yourself). Those two target players are now on the team of their new roles even though they don't know what they are.

Drunk - Village aligned

You start the night as the drunk, and during the night phase, you must choose one of the unassigned roles 1, 2, or 3.

You are now on the same team as the unassigned role. But because you've been drinking quite heavily, you actually won't know what that role is. Tricky!

Insomniac - Village aligned

You start the night as the insomniac, and at the end of the night, you get to know what your new role is (to see if it has been swapped out from underneath you).

Roles that do not have actions at night:

Villager - Village aligned

You start the night as a villager. You sleep peacefully through the night, and wake up ready for a day of lynching.

Hunter - Village aligned

You start the night as the hunter.

If the player who is the hunter during the day phase is voted out, then the hunter may choose to fire his gun at any other player. If the gun hits a werewolf, then it is considered a village victory, otherwise it is a village loss.

Tanner - Self aligned

You start the night as the tanner. You want it to end because you've been working with pee and poop for too long.

You win if you can get the village to vote for you - but then of course, both the village and werewolves lose. But that's not your problem.

Advanced Role(s)

Doppelganger

You start the night as a doppelganger. You must choose a player, and you will copy their ability and alignment.

If the player you chose was a villager, tanner, or hunter, then you are now that role.

If the player you chose was a werewolf or mason, then you and the rest of your new team will be told who you are.

If the player you chose was a seer, robber, troublemaker, or drunk, you immediately choose your targets now and we'll resolve them. This means that this action actually resolves before any of the normal seer/robber/troublemaker/drunk abilities.

If the player you chose was a minion, then you shall be told who the werewolves are.

If the player you chose was an insomniac, then at the very end of the night, I shall tell you your updated role.

Order of Actions

From first to last:

Doppelganger -> Werewolves -> Minion -> Masons -> Seer -> Robber -> Troublemaker -> Drunk -> Insomniac -> Doppelganger Insomniac

Night Phase Example:
We have a 5 player game involving:

Aaron
Bob
Cathy
Denise
Edward

The host publicly announces the roles:

3 x Villagers
2 x Werewolves
1 x Seer
1 x Robber
1 x Troublemaker

The roles are randomly assigned:

Aaron - Robber
Bob - Werewolf
Cathy - Troublemaker
Denise - Villager
Edward - Seer

Unassigned role cards in the middle of the table:
1.) Villager
2.) Werewolf
3.) Villager

PMs go out:

Host to Bob: You are a lone werewolf. Choose an unassigned role card from the center (1-3).
Bob: I choose card 3
Host to Bob: You see an unassigned villager role

Host to Edward: You are a seer. Either choose another player to seer, or two unassigned role cards from the center (1-3).
Edward: I choose cards 2, and 3.
Host to Edward: You see a werewolf (card 2), and a villager (card 3).

Host to Aaron: You are the robber. Choose another player to rob.
Aaron: I choose Bob.
Host to Aaron: You swap your role with Bob's, and you see that you are now the werewolf (Bob is now the robber).

[at this point, Bob does not know that he is now the robber - only Aaron knows that Bob is no longer the werewolf]

Host to Cathy: You are the troublemaker. Choose two other players to swap role cards.
Cathy: I choose Aaron and Denise
Host to Cathy: Ok

[at this point, both Aaron and Denise do not know that their roles have been swapped - i.e. Denise is now the werewolf, and Aaron is now the villager]

At the end of the night, these are the new roles

Aaron - Villager
Bob - Robber
Cathy - Troublemaker
Denise - Werewolf
Edward - Seer

The village wins if they managed to vote out Denise.
The village loses if they fail to vote out Denise.

OP is a work in progress.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
ecco the dolphin on

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Second post reserved for more details/clarifications.

Things that make it better in IRC

When voting is closed, the host will say:

VOTE NOW

All players reply with

!ready

The host will count down from 3. While the host is counting down, the players type in their vote but do not push enter.

Once the countdown is complete, the host will say

!reveal

All players now push enter to submit their votes, and is now tallied up. There is no changing of votes.

Example:
    Abigail, Ben, Catherine, Dan, Eve are discussing the night. 5 minutes later:
    Host: VOTE NOW
    Catherine: !ready
    Abigail: !ready
    Host: 3
    Dan: !ready
    Ben: !ready
    Host: 2
    Eve: !ready
    Host: 1
    Host: !reveal
    Ben: abstain
    Abigail: Ben
    Catherine: abstain
    Eve: Abigail
    Dan: abstain

At the end of the night, both Ben and Abigail are tied in votes, and are therefore both lynched.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    Okay, to give everyone some time, we're going to start signups in 1 hour:
    * 5pm EST
    * 2pm PST
    * 10pm UTC

We're going to be tweaking this (it might be that we decide that 10 minute rounds work better), so please bear with us as we experiment with this.

It is highly recommended that you have about 30-40 minutes free.

Giving a heads up to people who awesome'd @lonelyahava‌'s post in the sign up thread:

@jdarksun‌
    @38thDoe‌
    @Ardor‌
    @Delmain‌
    @Hedgethorn‌

Anyone else?

• Options
    Summoning those we played with in Seattle

(I fully expect that anyone I page might be busy with New Year's Eve activities, so not really fussed if you don't join =P)

@Infidel
    @MrBlarney‌
    @Egos
    @kime
    @Phyphor‌
    @TheRoadVirus‌

I think I may have missed people hmmmmmm

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the ping, do you know when the game itself will run? Daughter and wife aren't feeling well so won't have much time till they are in bed.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Well, was hoping to start in about 30 minutes, but if you have sick family, go look after them dude =)

Not sure if we'll get enough people, since it is NYE in the USA, and I imagine a lot of people will be at fun parties! Maybe tomorrow will work better.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I could play if we're doing this shortly.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Well, was hoping to start in about 30 minutes, but if you have sick family, go look after them dude =)

Not sure if we'll get enough people, since it is NYE in the USA, and I imagine a lot of people will be at fun parties! Maybe tomorrow will work better.
    Still at work, soon I'll be released to be caregiver.
    Probably tomorrow would work better future man.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »

Still at work, soon I'll be released to be caregiver.
    Probably tomorrow would work better future man.

Okay!
    Infidel wrote: »
    I could play if we're doing this shortly.

I must mine more vespene players!

Guess we're not doing it today! =P

What time best suits people?

Or would you guys like to try it in IRC?

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    I just got home, I have some time to play.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yep, I was out for a bit, but I'm in.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    i'm around-ish

but too late seemingly

Egos on
  • Options
    Oh drat!

Sorry guys - I was raiding some tombs =/

Okay, we have a few choices.

We can either do quick games (e.g. 10-30 minute rounds), but that requires everyone to be online at the same time, which is quite hard to do (new years celebrations and all that), but much more tense!

Or we can do a long day, like Phalla, where there's 24 hours of discussion.

What works best for everyone?

• Options
    I'm down for either. Live only if we start relatively soon because it's 7:30pm here

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We can do live only, but we need to be able to get everybody in the same place at the same time.

You find us 5 players all online at once and we can start.

But, taking into consideration NYE, would tomorrow be better?

• Options
    Probably, lol. I'm on my phone, but I can get in IRC no problem if we're gonna play.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I won't be able to make it to this session, but man this game is awesome. I hope this goes well over forums.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Hey jdarksun!

Okay

So it looks like most people become free at around this time.

I imagine it's because it's after work/dinner?

We're going to try and reorganise this for tomorrow at around this time (maybe on the half hour or so).

So if you're not doing anything for New Years, and want to lie/backstab each other, come back tomorrow at around this time, and we'll start a game! =)

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Okay, I'll try this out. I think it might be better if this was run on IRC, so that discussion time is shorter and more in line with the real-life game. But a forum-based version might be interesting as well...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking as well. Primarily since a forum version will require two time-periods (either two real-time days or two "vote closes" per day) for a game of One Night (once to get all your actions in and once to finish voting for a kill)

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I'mma just sit over here with some popcorn.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I can also play.
    At both the above relative times.
    So sign me up please :D

discrider on
  • Options
    Alright - the majority of votes says IRC game - so:

#mafia on irc.slashnet.org

Let's try meet at

8:30pm EST
    5:30pm PST
    1:30am UTC (not really friendly for European folk, sadly)
    2:30pm NZT

We'll figure stuff out as we go!

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    If I can get my kids down to bed at a decent time, I'll join.

• Options
    For those who don't have an IRC client (and don't want to install one), here's a handy dandy link to a webclient (can also be found in Infidel's signature).

Luckily, popular browsers have IRC clients that you can also install:

Chrome users might be able to use CIRC.
    Firefox users might be able to use ChatZilla.

• Options
    I'll plan to be there. I'll be idling in the irc channel until then.

• Options
    As a reminder, we're in IRC now, gathering folks to play!

• Options
    Woops! I totally set the reminder for "tomorrow, 8:15pm" at like like 3:30am so it didn't go off tonight...

Oh well, there now!

• Options
    Was good fun folks, thanks for running this Ecco!

• Options
    Not sure if I don't like this game, or am just bad at it.

I really don't like not knowing my victory condition, or not knowing how to go about achieving it, and I'm not sure if this is down to me not having played this enough to make accurate guesses on my VC, or whether it's because my VC is determined purely by the lay of the roles at day beginning.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Not sure if I don't like this game, or am just bad at it.

I really don't like not knowing my victory condition, or not knowing how to go about achieving it, and I'm not sure if this is down to me not having played this enough to make accurate guesses on my VC, or whether it's because my VC is determined purely by the lay of the roles at day beginning.

Can totally appreciate that perspective.

It is a bit chaotic, especially with how the roles swap.

Maybe if we ever pop over to Australia, we'll try in real life, and if you still don't like it, we'll speak no more of it. =P

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting, ecco!

Yeah, the game is kind of crazy and out of your control at times, but games are relatively short, so you get to experience a wide variety of scenarios in a gaming session. Much like any social game, it takes practice to get better at it. I'm still really, really bad at this game but I know that I'm much better at it now than I was when I first started learning how to play. Experience certainly does matter!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I am pretty bad at the game as well, but I find enjoyment in the speed of each game and watching folks try to lie their way out of being voted when they are a werewolf.

For example, mrblarney twice was the drunk and both werewolves were seered in the center. Totally out of his control. This was in person.

• Options
    :/
    That's the sort of scenario that makes me dubious about the game in the first place.
    Even without the seer, the drunk is screwed when both werewolves are in the center.
    It seems too arbitrary that the game can just be logic-ed out like that, with the werewolf aligned merely banking on chaos to keep themselves safe.

• Options
    I think it's almost like, a mafia training course. Like yesterday when I was the insomniac and woke up as a werewolf. I should've jumped out of the gate and claimed I was a werewolf and got swapped, so who swapped me with whom?

It's quick fun, but not for everyone. I think it's a lot more fun in person to be honest.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I dunno.
    Maybe we need to play more games with the Tanner so that there is that element of reading people's intentions (to pick werewolf from Tanner) after logic-ing who is village aligned.
    Or at least maybe I enjoyed that game more :P.

discrider on
  • Options
    When a lone wolf sees another werewolf card in the center, they are pretty screwed. Otherwise, they at least have a cover role should the seer have not seered the center.

It's a lot more fun when folks have to scramble, or all the role swap abilities are (claimed) to be in the game.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I mentioned it in IRC, but the game really takes off when your group builds up a meta.

After the initial logic solving stage (since most groups have people that can puzzle it out rather well) you start needing to insert more mayhem when the werewolf and this leads to a more chaotic meta in general.

Also, IRC isn't quite the same as in person but I think 10 minutes is too long, I'd recommend a 5 minute period. The longer period is also why the wolves were not doing so well.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    "Leading to a chaotic meta" sounds to me like "Devolve the game into a shouting match".
    I mean I suppose you could read into who seems to have a vested interest in disrupting the game in this manner, but this just leads to certain players ~always~ disrupting the game in this manner to obscure their intent.

But it's 3:30am so I could be wrong about this.

• Options
    In person, you get the benefit of being able to read people, not just their words.