As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk about VIDEO GAMES WE PLAYED IN 2014

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Bayonetta in a 30 second vaccum is terrible.

If someone has the guts to sit through it for 5 minutes it's like "OH they're doing a thing" and it clicks.

But Bayonetta without the other half of her characterization(her voice) will lead you to getting the wrong mental image, easily.

Depending on which 5 minutes they walk in on they might walk away thinking even worse things.

I definitely played through that game with the door to my room closed.

Man Bayonetta is the most feminist video game we have right now. She's powerful, self-reliant, unashamed of her body and completely owns her sexuality. Instead of being ashamed of playing such a powerful character, tell anyone watching that she reminds you of your hero Emby and if they don't like it they can talk to her.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

If someone has the guts to sit through it for 5 minutes it's like "OH they're doing a thing" and it clicks.

But Bayonetta without the other half of her characterization(her voice) will lead you to getting the wrong mental image, easily.

Depending on which 5 minutes they walk in on they might walk away thinking even worse things.

Man Bayonetta is the most feminist video game we have right now. She's powerful, self-reliant, unashamed of her body and completely owns her sexuality. Instead of being ashamed of playing such a powerful character, tell anyone watching that she reminds you of your hero Emby and if they don't like it they can talk to her.

I've heard it told both ways on Bayo, in regards to feminism and stuff

since I haven't touched the game, I have zero opinion

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I've never been bothered playing Bayonetta in front of people.

But I am also a sexual deviant who doesn't tend to get all bungled up about half the stuff lots of people do.

Dragkonias on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I genuinely don't know where I land on the "is Bayonetta literally the most sexist thing in games or actually a feminist icon" stuff

I guess they're both right??

6F32U1X.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    kamiya's already made the perfect feminist game, okami

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Okami is pretty great.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Is the online multi in this decent? I played it in person and it was fucking amazing.

I haven't tried it with random matchmaking, but with friends it's always worked well

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Okami is pretty great.

I played Okami this year and it was pretty great.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

I've heard it told both ways on Bayo, in regards to feminism and stuff

since I haven't touched the game, I have zero opinion

Well I have and you should too!

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The Wii U version of Bayonetta 1 is literally a perfect video game

The 360 version is damn close but has some unfortunate screen-tearing issues

UnbreakableVow on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Really have to try and get a WiiU soon.

Who knew it would have games I would want to play.

Dragkonias on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I genuinely don't know where I land on the "is Bayonetta literally the most sexist thing in games or actually a feminist icon" stuff

I guess they're both right??

The only thing that rubs me the wrong way is when people on the sexist side tell people (women specifically) on the icon side that they're wrong

Only thing Anita sarkeesian ever did that bugged me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    okami is like, the one game I'm capable of going full @poorochondriac on and analyzing deeply and talking about that forever

it owns

WeedLordVegeta on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Okami suffers from Zelda bloat

But otherwise its very good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'll try to play Okami this year

I tried to play it before but got kind of burned out something like three hours in

dN0T6ur.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

I tried to play it before but got kind of burned out something like three hours in

just pretend he has a green tunic

liEt3nH.png
    The wolf isn't even the right color...

dN0T6ur.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

Only 37 left after that!

edited January 2015

Now you know how people felt about Bravely Default

*Ba-dum-phish*

Edit: Though in its defense it was more after like...40 hours or so.

Dragkonias on
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Titanfall was a game I played this year after getting it for $10

It is super fun and great. Incredibly mobile players and large lumbering machines if you want some different action. Quickly found out long range options was a trap with how mobile players were and that short range is king. Burn cards are an odd system and I am not fully sold on them, but you get so many of them you can just burn through them no problem you'll have dozens more you will never use.

There appears to be complaints about it not having enough content? I never really played the major popular shooters and don't consider myself a huge shooter person. I guess Call of Duty has been pulling off the same 'start with a set of weapons, unlock more through play over time' system with dozens more guns for this to be a complaint. Half the guns already feel super redundant though, I don't see how more could possibly improve the play action unless they add very weird Borderlands style guns.

There essentially is no campaign, and I don't terribly care. It's just more multiplayer matches with cutscenes at the front and back.

VRXwDW7.png
    edited January 2015
    Oh yeah. I forgot about Titanfall.

But yeah, I would say customization is a big part of it. Being about to customize not only your weapons but your characters was a pretty big draw of the CoD series for myself and a lot of other players(even though it eventually started to get a bit out of hand in the CoD series).

So not having nearly as many options in Titanfall was kind of a bummer even though the game itself was fun.

In the future I would really like if they

-Add a few more guns, not too many though. A few more shotguns for example

-Be able to fully customize your character and not have it tied to what gun you're carrying.

-Add a few more player skills and rebalance them so that some aren't clearly better than others.

-And allow us to customize the look of the Titans because it is a shame we can't make Gundams.

As for the campaign multiplayer, it was a novel idea but it didn't pan out very well. So I'd like them to either revamp it or just do a proper single player.

Dragkonias on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Titanfall would win my vote for best rental because it is awesome fun for a few days but quickly gets old.

Titanfall would win my vote for best rental because it is awesome fun for a few days but quickly gets old.

Pretty much. It was a blast the couple of weeks I played it but when I found there just wasn't much to it I kind of got bored and moved on to the next thing.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    okami would be about a million times better if the text scrolled faster

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    okami would be a million times better if it had a sailboat that was a dragon that was a king

I mean, in theory, I've never played okami

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    What's a million times a million

Because I'm gathering that Okami could stand be to that many times better

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    What's a million times a million

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    You know what game's good?

6F32U1X.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    okami would be a million times better if it had a sailboat that was a dragon that was a king

Geebs the word "lion" is right in his name

he's a king of lions, that doesn't mean he's a lion himself

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    D4 is supposed to be good, right?

It's the free game with gold for the Xbone this month.

I closed out hte year puttering around in Skyward Sword, which is one of the most pleasant ways to experience that game

I find I enjoy Zelda a lot more when I don't rush

As a consequence I'm probably going to disappear for a few weeks when Zelda U lands

dN0T6ur.png
    Okami would be a better game if cut half the content.

Dear last year thread

Is the Dark Souls 2 DLC good?

I felt like one of the strengths of Dark Souls was the really personal connections it set up between characters, which allowed the player to connect to those characters as well. The DLC pack with Manus and Artorias and crew were kind of the height of this. The raddest, with huge characterization apparent in very little actual dialogue

And I thought that DS2 was mostly lacking that feeling, and that sense of cohesion - personal as well as environmental - being lost was a big part of why I thought the game wasn't as good

Anyway

How good is the Dark Souls 2 DLC? Good like "Go buy it now" or good like "You might as well wait for the Special Edition to land on Steam"

dN0T6ur.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Dear last year thread

Is the Dark Souls 2 DLC good?

I felt like one of the strengths of Dark Souls was the really personal connections it set up between characters, which allowed the player to connect to those characters as well. The DLC pack with Manus and Artorias and crew were kind of the height of this. The raddest, with huge characterization apparent in very little actual dialogue

And I thought that DS2 was mostly lacking that feeling, and that sense of cohesion - personal as well as environmental - being lost was a big part of why I thought the game wasn't as good

Anyway

How good is the Dark Souls 2 DLC? Good like "Go buy it now" or good like "You might as well wait for the Special Edition to land on Steam"

General consensus I've seen is that they are well worth it. Probably some of From's best level design, as well as a bunch of cool ideas.

I really, really like the Dark Souls 2 DLC. Particularly the first one.

That being said, it's probably worth waiting for the special edition.

That's purely mechanical though. None of them are going to have what you're looking for if you want personal connections between characters, although I don't really consider the stuff from the DS1 DLC to be any good either so ymmv.

edited January 2015
    The very best moment in the game my have been when Dusk talked about what it was like being in the presence of Manus

Pitch perfect, and quietly beautiful as it recontextualized everything about him - he turned from what was a very clear Ganon send-up into something else entirely

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png