As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread, check out the new thread!

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I got petrified a funny way and took a screenshot of it:

1JltQOj.png

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    That turn 7 is not going very well.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Private room in FC mansion get.

7QKHT4M.png

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I made him his towel rack.

488W936.png
    Esh wrote: »
    That turn 7 is not going very well.

No it is not. But then again you can usually tell when someone asks "Is this your first time?".

I'll have you know it as my fourth. I still hadn't gotten all the mechanics down, but I can't begin to describe how much I hate when someone asks that.

• Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Man! After a few weeks of having something preventing me being able to wake up at 4am I finally got the Wedding for my wife and I reserved. People are pretty douchey parking their mounts over the NPC >_> but a few tricks and i snagged the time slot we totally wanted =D

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's like people don't know about the button that allows you to click past PCs.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Psst, Bri, this is where you do the kindly thing and remind us all what that button is.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So apparently FFXIV, FFXI, and Dragon Quest 10 (what?) have less than 1 million subscribers total?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/2/7480177/square-enix-final-fantasy-14-final-fantasy-11-dragon-quest-10-subscribers

That's a little surprising, considering I recall seeing 2-3 million user numbers being tossed around back in August. Did FFXIV quietly lose 50% of its userbase, or was the 2-3 million number a massive overreporting of what was actually going on?

Not that I think FFXIV needs millions of users to be successful (it doesn't), but that was a bit of a shock.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I believe it is control plus left click.

Yeah, plus it's just the whole idea of what they are trying to do. I'm OK if the NPC is crowded ect. but the mounts. .. bleh.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    So apparently FFXIV, FFXI, and Dragon Quest 10 (what?) have less than 1 million subscribers total?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/2/7480177/square-enix-final-fantasy-14-final-fantasy-11-dragon-quest-10-subscribers

That's a little surprising, considering I recall seeing 2-3 million user numbers being tossed around back in August. Did FFXIV quietly lose 50% of its userbase, or was the 2-3 million number a massive overreporting of what was actually going on?

Not that I think FFXIV needs millions of users to be successful (it doesn't), but that was a bit of a shock.

That report was from March. It was their end of financial year report, and apparently the financial year in Japan ends in March. Looks like Polygon just saw "end of year" and jumped on it.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

That report was from March. It was their end of financial year report, and apparently the financial year in Japan ends in March. Looks like Polygon just saw "end of year" and jumped on it.

Oh hey, look at that. Awesome catch :)

That makes a lot more sense, thanks

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Indeed, considering last August's census those numbers from Polygon make no sense. Hell I think they were up to nearly 1 million unique logins in just NA back in August.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    And of course they fix the article what cornerstone was incorrect by simply putting (correction) at the end of the title. Didn't Colbert have a segment about Fox doing that?

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    And of course they fix the article what cornerstone was incorrect by simply putting (correction) at the end of the title. Didn't Colbert have a segment about Fox doing that?

Gotta keep that click bait going

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Yeah, plus it's just the whole idea of what they are trying to do. I'm OK if the NPC is crowded ect. but the mounts. .. bleh.

One of those little indignities you just have to power through. Can't mandate manners, or Something Awful would disappear in a puff of smoke.

• VargVarg Registered User regular
    The reservation npc was crowded enough for a bunch of culling on Excalibur but no one was afking with their mount over the npc thankfully. We put ours right after our coil run next Tuesday night since most of the FC has the minion.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    They're not allowing new players on the PA server.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »

Between 3am to 6am EST (maybe 11am on weekdays) seems to be the golden time when the server is open.

Alternately, you may be able to transfer a character over whenever. I know I transferred a buddy during prime time.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Axen wrote: »

Between 3am to 6am EST (maybe 11am on weekdays) seems to be the golden time when the server is open.

Alternately, you may be able to transfer a character over whenever. I know I transferred a buddy during prime time.

Can confirm time. Was able to get on PA server at around 8:30am(cst) today. Unfortunately, if you want on, you're gonna have to log on in the early morning really quick and make a character. :sad:

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    If you have character appearance saved it's very quick to make one.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    If part 2 of 2.5 is in March, that would probably make the "spring" release of the expansion laaaaate "spring."

Although, I guess summer really isn't until 21-June, right?

Soooo, expansion release 20-June!

We were joking about exactly in my FC the other night. Either June 20 or "Oh we meet financial calender spring".

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    It could get delayed too, but that is much less likely with MMOs.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Private room in FC mansion get.

7QKHT4M.png

Hmmm so there are more pieces of gear that give tattoos?

I know there's that one rogue shirt and whatever this guy is wearing.

Are there any more or just those two options (and the legacy one, but I have that).

It's one of the Talisman chest pieces- this one is South Seas Talisman, IIRC.

Basically they're a tattoo (different styles, same location) and those necklaces you see.

Corehealer wrote: »
    I made him his towel rack.

After looking at that pic more, I think that towel is too small.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I bet it's too big.

Also, regarding character creation, right on the Lodestone web page is a section (under News IIRC) that says "regarding character creation restrictions (or some such). It updates every 5 hours and will let you know if a serer is open (though sometimes it is wrong)

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    PA is on a Legacy server. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a server playing FFXIV before the ARR makeover?

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Yes, but that distinction has become so meaningless that they recently allowed transfers to/from new servers to legacy servers in the last few months.

Got T7 done in my first attempt today.

I feel 99% of how to properly tank in this game is knowing where to tank an enemy instead of how.

Once I managed to join a party that actually knew the best spots to tank adds it became a simple fight.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    yeah, in t7 tank the boss at 7 oclock instead of 12. suddenly your OT loves you

edited January 2015

I was the OT in all the attempts, actually.

It's funny how wildly inconsistent the strategies can be in different parties.

"Tank the add near the boss!" (failure)

"Tank the add far away from the boss!" (success)

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    PA is on a Legacy server. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a server playing FFXIV before the ARR makeover?

Actually Legacy just refers to a server that was reserved for characters from 1.0. Basically they let you carry over your 1.0 character with gear and a portion of your gil. However you could create a new character on a Legacy server from day 1, the only limitation was that you couldn't transfer a Legacy character off a Legacy server until later.

These days there is very little difference between Legacy and non-Legacy servers aside from having a larger amount of Gil in the economy of Legacy servers (generally speaking) which causes the initial price of housing on Legacy servers to be higher than non-legacy servers. This discrepancy is shrinking however from my understanding as the game progresses.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited January 2015

I know you don't like looking up strategies on fights in the game, but what's the difference between looking up the info yourself, and having the party tell you the same info? I would wager you could have saved yourself a lot of headache by doing a little research yourself instead of waiting until you found a party that basically told you the same thing you could have found out ahead of time.

It would also cut down on a lot of the "Is this your first time?" questions you seem to get.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited January 2015

I know you don't like looking up strategies on fights in the game, but what's the difference between looking up the info yourself, and having the party tell you the same info? I would wager you could have saved yourself a lot of headache by doing a little research yourself instead of waiting until you found a party that basically told you the same thing you could have found out ahead of time.

It would also cut down on a lot of the "Is this your first time?" questions you seem to get.

I did look up strategies. Specifically MTQ's videos.

But there's only so much you can learn from someone's point of view vid, especially since the information is somewhat outdated due to patches.

Maybe it's easier for others, but for me reading or watching a strategy means I'll get about the gist of a fight. Knowing the exact timing of things as well as what position to be in are things I can only learn once I actually step into the fight and try it myself.

Hence why I do tend to let parties know where I'm at relative to "learning" a fight, though that doesn't always help with the resulting backlash when things go south.

For the record I immediately understood the concept of Cursed Voice and did my best to avoid petrifying other players, versus party members who clearly didn't know about it and stoned up entire groups.

But there's only so much you can learn from someone's point of view vid, especially since the information is somewhat outdated due to patches.

Maybe it's easier for others, but for me reading or watching a strategy means I'll get about the gist of a fight. Knowing the exact timing of things as well as what position to be in are things I can only learn once I actually step into the fight and try it myself.

Hence why I do tend to let parties know where I'm at relative to "learning" a fight, though that doesn't always help with the resulting backlash when things go south.

I am the same way in regards to watching vids, what I have found helps is liberal use of the pause function and taking note of specifically where and what the role I am trying to learn is doing at various points in the fight. Just watching the video or reading cliff notes that they show on screen isn't going to help. You need to actually watch what the individuals are doing at each point in the fight.

Something like where to position the adds is something you can very easily identify in a video and take note of, especially if your role is to manage those adds.

delphinidaes.png
    edited January 2015

I am the same way in regards to watching vids, what I have found helps is liberal use of the pause function and taking note of specifically where and what the role I am trying to learn is doing at various points in the fight. Just watching the video or reading cliff notes that they show on screen isn't going to help. You need to actually watch what the individuals are doing at each point in the fight.

Something like where to position the adds is something you can very easily identify in a video and take note of, especially if your role is to manage those adds.

Fair enough. I'm still fairly certain that if I try to memorize things like exact position and timing through repeated views/pausing, I'm going to forget a fair chunk of it once I'm actually in the thick of battle. I'm not sure how calm other people are when tackling a major fight, but my tension starts around 50% and steadily climbs.

Don't get me wrong, that isn't a negative; I like being tense during a fight, because it means I'm getting a genuine thrill from the game. But of course this means I'll make a mistake here and there. That said, once I do get a few victories under my belt that tension disappears entirely. It's why I can run ST while staring at my TV 75% of the time.

Long story short, there's only so much you can get from prep time. It isn't until you're actually doing the fight where things start to click.

This discussion has been closed.