As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One art today

HecubusandSimonHecubusandSimon Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys! Long time no post. Why, in the time since my last (and to this point, only) post, I enrolled in college classes online to study game art and design. Hoorah! Only one picture for now, because I need to get to work soon. Video games don't sell themselves!

...Well, actually they kind of do.

Anyway, comment and critique away!

Picture.jpg

Sorry about the godawful quality. Yuck. XP

HecubusandSimon on

• Options
    Mr. InkswitchMr. Inkswitch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I like that the breasts are the composition.

Mr. Inkswitch on
    wwtd2ay4.jpg
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Reminds me of Trespasser.
    trespasser_02.jpg
    (the tattoo is your health bar)

On the actual piece though; the size of the face doesn't seem right to me with how far away she's holding it from the viewer.

I'd like to see you draw just a face, since it's hard to pick out details when it's so small.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    No crits really, but the title of this thread makes me thing of Zoidberg saying "One art, please".

multimoog on
  • Options
    drakkoniadrakkonia Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Cute idea for a self-portrait. I especially like the shadow cast on the paper by the pencil and hand. I'd like to see more darks, though, to give it a bit more contrast.

drakkonia on
  • Options
    Penguin-FactoryPenguin-Factory Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wow, I like it. The smooth shading is exellent and the face conveys great expression and life, even though it's so small. I think getting that kind of realism across with minimal detail is the sign of a good artist :D

Penguin-Factory on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Reminds me of Trespasser.
    trespasser_02.jpg
    (the tattoo is your health bar)

On the actual piece though; the size of the face doesn't seem right to me with how far away she's holding it from the viewer.

I'd like to see you draw just a face, since it's hard to pick out details when it's so small.

That's the first thing I thought of.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    squeefishsqueefish Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I really like this, but I'd like it a lot more if you cut off the bottom part. The breasts look too prominent and they're not as well drawn as the rest of the picture.

Great job otherwise though! Love the hands.

squeefish on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hecubus, I really like the shading you've done, but the image in the mirror does look a bit far.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Truth be told, it was a really tiny mirror. Itsby bitsy. Sorry about the breasts, I wasn't trying to be vulgar or anything, I just wanted to draw everything I was seeing in that perspective. Shoulda figured someone would make fun of it. *Laugh*

HecubusandSimon on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Awesome, more.
    I would so get a cramp for holding still in that pose ^^'

Would did you that black outline? That's not so neat, in my opinion.

And: Yay4Trespasser, that game got really good on my nerves :|

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    kind of has an escher-like quality. maybe if the pad had the drawing on it too

paulwind on
  • Options
    SpilltoySpilltoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I thought that also. Having the drawing recursively on the pad would be fantastic. But also difficult.

Spilltoy on
    I really don't.
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    someladycopy.jpg

i hope no one's offended that i mussed with her work

paulwind on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can see seven boobs.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I was going more for Mucha than Escher with the dark outline. I love Love LOVE his work. However, I did consider drawing the drawing on the blank pad, but I figured it would be a lot more work than I was willing to do at 1 in the morning. Hahaha. :)

I am really pleased to see so many compliments! That boosts my self-esteem a little bit. *Laugh* But I am also just as glad to see critiques. Looking at it now, the head is a little distant, even though the mirror was small. I guess I took some artistic license because I wanted most of my face to be seen. I like to do unconventional self-portraits; I have an older one in one of my sketchbooks where my face is reflected in a Radiohead CD.

This is a little off-topic, so please forgive me, but does anyone else have a lot of trouble logging onto these forums? I can never do it the first time around, or the second, or even the third.

More art soon, I promise!

HecubusandSimon on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    When I log in I check the box that lets me stay logged in forevers.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Truth be told, it was a really tiny mirror. Itsby bitsy. Sorry about the breasts, I wasn't trying to be vulgar or anything, I just wanted to draw everything I was seeing in that perspective. Shoulda figured someone would make fun of it. *Laugh*

Oh no no. No one here finds boobies vulgar...in fact, Wakkawa might get mad at you for calling them that. It's just that the focus was being drawn away from the real subject.

Tam on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wait, the boobs weren't the real subject? :?

Really though, I don't like the black outline either, it just doesn't seem to work here...

Very well drawn though, although it looks like your thumb on the right hand is broken. :)

Virum on