As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So why is DKR a speed run game? What makes it in particular amenable/good for it?

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Unfortunately by the time Rebirth came out it was too late to be featured.

YL9WnCY.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    it's just the same as original BoI but with a few more items and a few less bugs, I think

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    The four-way Super Metroid race with commentary last year was also definitely one of the best moments in Done Quick history. The commentary was great, all four guys had great runs, it was back and forth constantly, and the ending was absurdly close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmfV8IhsHq0

You know it's a bit odd of me but as a massive Metroid fan... I don't care much about speedrunning. Still, this was an awesome race to watch, and I was on my edge of my seat when it first ran.

Do you think we'll see any other Metroid games during AGDQ this year? I know Super is kind of the gold standard for speedrunning, but I really wanna see the other games too, if only for wacky tricks and l33t skillz.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, the "Kill the animals/Save the animals" thing comes from the fact you can save the friendly alien/animals during the end segment of Super Metroid.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    they're also playing prime and zero mission on the 9th

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hi it's me

Diddy Kong Racing is a bad game okay byebye

sig.gif
    it's not a bad game, it's just boring to watch speedrun IMO

BahamutZERO.gif
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    they're also playing prime and zero mission on the 9th

Awesome... but alas it seems a lot of the best game streams I can't watch live. So while I'll miss out on all y'all giving color commentary, at least I can enjoy it thanks to the magic of the internet.

And now a random off-topic question:
    Wait is TB part of AGDQ or something?

a good time to read donations: the game

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    And now a random off-topic question:
    Wait is TB part of AGDQ or something?
    Nah, but people can attach comments to their donations and the announcer person-thingy reads some of those.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Hi it's me

Diddy Kong Racing is a bad game okay byebye

diddy kong racing has a better battle mode than mario kart, mario kart is a much much much better kart racer

Boy I sure love 16-lane tracks that all look like generic desert mountain jungle with soft curves, no hazards, not a single other kart in sight anywhere, boring powerups, little to no sense of speed and a framerate that plummets as soon as you're playing multiplayer.

(seriously though a couple years back I was at a retro gaming party and there was Mario Kart 64 and DKR playing literally side-by-side and let me tell you Mario Kart 64 has not become a boring game in the years since, unlike DKR).

sig.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    i really like the soundtrack for dkr, though, more than mk64

hot top volcano is one of my favorite pieces of music in games

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    diddy kong racing has so little connection to the kong aesthetic that i wonder why that was the name they chose

it looks way more like a banjo kazooie game than anything else

liEt3nH.png
    diddy kong racing has so little connection to the kong aesthetic that i wonder why that was the name they chose

it looks way more like a banjo kazooie game than anything else

Considering Banjo and Conker are in it and Diddy and that Kremling are the only connections to DK, that was pretty clearly Rare just making their Rare karter and then Nintendo made them have it star Diddy for brand recognition.

sig.gif
    edited January 2015
    Which brings us to how they totally should've put Jetpac Guy, the Battletoads, the Blast Corps bulldozer, Fulgore and TJ Combo in the game too.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Diddy kong racing had airplanes hover craft and karts 6 year old me loved that shit.

xet8c.gif
    Isoldae wrote: »
    Diddy kong racing had airplanes hover craft and karts 6 year old me loved that shit.

Which is exactly why it flew directly under so many people's bad game radar. But it was a bad game.

sig.gif
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Maybe you are the bad game and dkr is the best!

xet8c.gif
    I'm a bad game in that when you go up against me you can't win the dice are fixed.

sig.gif
    It's actually a good game and a fun speed run game, but not a 100% run with like no commentary.

YL9WnCY.png
    we did it, we've endured

CD World Tour status:
    It's actually a good game and a fun speed run game, but not a 100% run with like no commentary.

honestly any game that has an expected finish time of over 2 hours is already a dicey watch

liEt3nH.png
    argh the schedule page is down

BahamutZERO.gif
    i've got it left open, whatcha want to check?

CD World Tour status:
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular

FPS block?

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!

was wondering what day they're doing super metroid on

BahamutZERO.gif
    Mario Kart Wii is the second-worst Mario Kart but it's still better than Diddy Kong Racing.

sig.gif
    Mario Kart Wii is the second-worst Mario Kart but it's still better than Diddy Kong Racing.
    This opinion is almost as garbage as Mario Kart Wii.

YL9WnCY.png
    i love watching people choke on skips on stream

liEt3nH.png
    Botznoy wrote: »

FPS block?
    half-life games on the 8th at 6:35 pm est, goldeneye/pd/halo2 starting 8:05 am the 10th

was wondering what day they're doing super metroid on
    the 10th at 4:15 pm est

CD World Tour status:
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    They got the smb tas working. So glad I got to see that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Ha ha ha what the crap that Pokemon Red TAS is nuts!

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oh my god.
    Oh my god.
    Pokemon Plays Twitch.

...Glory to the Dome!

i appreciate the shot of the extended audience, it so frequently looks like there's hardly anyone watching live

CD World Tour status:
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    This opinion is almost as garbage as Mario Kart Wii.

...I liked MKWii...

YOU LIKE TRASH

liEt3nH.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    YOU LIKE TRASH

yeah, that's fair

*boots up Smite again*

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Haha I tuned back in after playing some Isaac and couldn't help but laughing at Ray just chilling back there.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    WR HYPE WR HYPE

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
This discussion has been closed.