As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry 4 or Destiny: free ps4 game

NezerNezer Registered User regular
I can't decide. I'm a simple-minded fool. Far Cry 4 looks fun. Haven't played any other I'm the series. Destiny looks fun too . . . . but ppl say it's repetitive. Like, you do the same exact quests over and over. Kinda like world of warcraft dailies. That makes me wanna stab my eyes out. Any input very welcome! (one of the games comes with my ps4) Thanks in advance!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If you want to play with friends (or the PA clan), get Destiny. If you want to play solo, get Far Cry.

Bear in mind, also, that unless you are willing to buy the expansion content now in Destiny, you will also not enjoy yourself as much since most folks have moved into the xpac content.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Have you played FC 3? If yes and you want a lot more of that, get Far Cry 4.

As wolfie says above, Destiny is all about the multiplayer.

• Options
    NezerNezer Registered User regular
    Thanks! I'm leaning far cry. I was under the impression that destiny had a little more single player content. The classes and leveling in destiny are attractive, but I don't want most of the content to be compulsory multiplayer, or repeat missions for that matter.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Get Far Cry 4.

Trust me.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Destiny is repetitive. Unless you are a big shooter fan, you probably won't find much there to like for very long.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I don't know Destiny, but I can say that Farcry 4 is a real Gem although not a flawless one. I have just completed it and I have to say that it did get a little repetitive the game world is so free that it leaves room for experimenting so in a way one can sort decide how repetitive ie. do you always approach an enemy camp by snipping from a far or do you sneak in a plant explosives or do you go in Rambo style with guns blazing or... there is lots of options (you can even attack riding on an Elephant!

The Farcry series is amazing and I have played all the games over the years, to me there is only real flaw with the games and it is in a way unfair to put it like that. It's an issue which the games really share with other games that puts you in an open world where you can sort of do it all, it's like now that the game offers me freedom I want more freedom and fx. why can't I kill a target hiding inside a house by say grabbing a big truck and running it through the house. If it wasn't so that the game allowed me to hi-jack a truck the desire to run one through a house would not be an issue, but since I can grab a truck and wreck havoc with it on the roads. Simply put freedom and realism brings the desire for more:-)

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Unless you're willing to buy the extra content and have some good friends who will play with you regularly I'd recommend Far Cry 4 as well. It's a much stronger single player experience.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Destiny is not one of those games you can recommend to someone else unless you know that person really well. It is a very, very niche product.

Based on what you've described, it doesn't seem like a very difficult decision. Go with Far Cry 4.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Far cry 4 is great.

Destiny is a good game but its an mmo.

The sp in fc4 is a lot of fun

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Destiny is not an MMO. It's billed as an "Open world shooter", but honestly that's just because they couldn't print "It's Phantasy Star Online meets Halo with MMO features" on the press release. Even without the expansion you're still looking at around twenty hours of content between story missions and a raid to get through (plus whatever you feel like putting into the multiplayer), and there is a huge community over in G&T (and I am assuming SE as well) that means there are always people to play with if you want to get a fireteam going. If you buy the expansion for $20 you'll get some more content as well. There is a demo on the PSN that you can download to see if you like it.

Far Cry 4 is basically Far Cry 3.5, but since you've never played Far Cry 3 that's not a big deal. It's also really gorgeous on the PS4. If you have a friend that has a copy you can get a "Key to Kyrat" and play co-op with them for a couple hours before it expires. This should give you a pretty solid feeling on whether or not you enjoy the game.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Far Cry 4. It's great. Better gameplay then 3, but a lesser story. Better environment, though.

Destiny is indeed an MMO. A tiny, dull, pointless MMO.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If you think Destiny is an MMO than you don't know what an MMO is.

The storyline in FC3 and FC4 was not particularly strong, but when it comes to main characters I'd take son of a rebel freedom fighter over a gap year xtreme sports douchebag any day of the week.

Far Cry is best used as a "lure wildlife into groups of enemy soldiers" simulator as opposed to any sort of narrative videogame though.

• Options
    carl_rogerscarl_rogers Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Destiny is a hell of a lot of fun with your mates - but, it's a very lonely experience. The worlds are basically ancient ruins - which is cool, but its actually a rather depressing and lonely doing it SOLO. Combine that with the fact that you can barely interact with other non-friended players, the replay value is limited.

Far Cry 4 is great SOLO and with a mate. Also, i never completed Far Cry 3, but Far Cry 4 was soooo good I actually went back and finished off Far Cry 3 (two years later). Cant wait for the next one

carl_rogers on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    GHALEEEEE

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Destiny has some tight gameplay though, its all about what type of game you want.

If you like multiplayer team deathmatch / point capture gameplay, Destiny has that covered really well. I think people gloss over the PVP a lot when they talk about Destiny. Playing PVP with PA people is what keeps me coming back to Destiny.

the raids are fun. The strikes (~10-30min missions with a big boss at the end) can be fun but they get old.

There is a fuckload of repetitive stuff. If you don't like that, don't get Destiny

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I know Destiny has a demo. I really think the best advice for if you'll like Destiny or not is to grab it and take it for a spin.

You get a few more abilities as you level but the core of Destiny is there from the beginning. If you don't like the gunplay and wandering around shooting dudes you won't like Destiny. There isn't really a large shift in what the game involves at any point so the demo should show you if it is your jam or not.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish