As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Because Geebs' Inquisitor is getting too old for this shit

19495969798100»

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Zay wrote: »
    I just finished here lies the abyss
    I let the grey wardens join the inquisition. nearly all my friends disapproved of that move. then i turned elrond or whatever into a tranquil which seemed the most fitting punishment, and everyone disapproved of that as well. I AM THE INQUISITOR
    Tranquility is not a punishment. It is a last resort against demons. You basically committed a war crime which mimics what started the whole civil war in the first time.

So yeah they think you're bad.

the more war crimes the better, i've always said

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Is everyone playing a mage but me

You should definitely be playing a mage

2x39jD4.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I'm playing a warrior

Soloing dragons all day erryday

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    If you want Solas to like you, just ask him questions.

Dude really likes it when you ask him questions.

Also try not to talk shit about spirits or the fade in front of him.

The only real big negative hits you'll get from Solas are from being like a zealot or being like, universal in your opinions.

All spirits are demons = big hit.

Dude I'm pretty sure the fade isn't as safe as you're making it sound = minor, if any hit.

There's some topics where you'll actually get positive opinion from arguing with him, as long as you're taking the clever dialogue choices.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I'm starting to think that Cullen is just Alistair Except Better In Every Respect

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    but Alistair and Cullen are different characters

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Cullen fills the role of 'Tragic Whitebread' except he doesn't allow his burdens to actually impede his endeavors for the inquisition

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I guess if you reduce both of them enough, they're a lot more similar? They look very much alike, and both have templar backgrounds. And beyond that...?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Cullen's not as funny as Alistair

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I just finished here lies the abyss
    I let the grey wardens join the inquisition. nearly all my friends disapproved of that move. then i turned elrond or whatever into a tranquil which seemed the most fitting punishment, and everyone disapproved of that as well. I AM THE INQUISITOR
    Tranquility is not a punishment. It is a last resort against demons. You basically committed a war crime which mimics what started the whole civil war in the first time.

So yeah they think you're bad.

the more war crimes the better, i've always said

war crimes are two islands of solitude mutually charting the same course

PNk1Ml4.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Cullen and Alistair are completely different dudes

you can be really reductionist when trying to compare them but getting that reductionist makes like

Merrill and Solas comparable

which fuckin' lol

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I'm still annoyed I had to see Alistair's cameo on YouTube videos because I picked the stupid Templars over the Mages.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed I had to see Alistair's cameo on YouTube videos because I picked the stupid Templars over the Mages.

He has a different cameo depending on what choice you made about him at the end of Origins.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    big ending spoilers
    SOLAS IS EVIL AHAHAHAHAHAHA

i knew it was a dumb idea even to let the guy into the party in the first place!

he just fucking shows up out of nowhere and everyone is all WELL THIS SEEMS PERFECTLY FINE and i'm just sitting there like really? leliana? you're not going to do, like, a background check? are you totally sure he isn't secretly FEN'HARAL, THE DREAD WOLF? i guess that's fine then

the villains of this game were not quite as bad as the reapers but they were still very much team rocket

aha! we will do evil things, because we are evil, and do evil things! no-one can stop us! pathetic worm!

the companion writing was all extremely good except for cole, who was terrible. i liked how responsive the game is. it really does feel like a living thing. whatever you bring into it is what you get out of it. i made a very specific point of not metagaming at all and just making the decisions i felt my character would make, which resulted in things like dismissing characters and skipping large chunks of dialogue. fairly comfortable with how that turned out?

also i'm going back through the thread now and apparently there's a heap of stuff i missed, including blackwall's entire dramatic arc. don't know how that happened. the narrative systems in this game do not seem very transparent, although i wasn't trying that hard. but i like them not transparent. real life is not transparent.

i didn't have a lot of time to play this game and sometime in the last year i spontaneously stopped liking or caring about fantasy. so i didn't enjoy it as much as i could and would hold off on giving it, like, a review score on the basis that i'm not in the market for it. i'm definitely glad i played it, though

no you're terrible, Cole is fun

2x39jD4.jpg
    you know what
    i'm realizing now that i really thought we were going to find out more about just what the fuck corypheus was, exactly

the big question of the game was "how did the blight actually start, and can this whole event chain give us some clues about it"

never answered!

i sort of thought we'd wind up figuring out how to stop blights from happening ever again

edited January 2015
    you know what
    i'm realizing now that i really thought we were going to find out more about just what the fuck corypheus was, exactly

the big question of the game was "how did the blight actually start, and can this whole event chain give us some clues about it"

never answered!

i sort of thought we'd wind up figuring out how to stop blights from happening ever again

well it is possible that (whole game stuff)
    we will figure that out in the next game

if the tevinter really did just find and repurpose basically all their shit from the ruins of the elven empire (and it sure seems like they did) then it follows that old elven pantheon and legends are the "most right" description of gods or incredibly powerful god-like beings and their fate

We're told that the elven pantheon was basically divided into two camps that were both sealed away by the dread wolf. The group that can roughly be taken as good was sealed away in a place "beyond reach" or something like that, which sure sounds a lot like the golden city in the fade which is always equidistant from every other place in the fade no matter how hard you try to get there. The bad group was sealed into the abyss which if taken pretty literally is just way the fuck underground and matches up with the old gods/archdemons.

So corypheus was attempting to breach the golden city (unseal the good gods) using knowledge and magic presumably gained from his patron old god dumat (one of the sealed evil gods) and depending on what Dumat was after things either went awry or they went perfectly, because the darkspawn showed up and started digging up old gods. Of course then we still don't know what happened to whoever/whatever was sealed in the golden city or how corruption fits in.

Anyway the point is that the blights are possibly linked more directly to the old elf gods than we would have previously thought and since we now have an dickish bald elf god running around the next game will probably deal with them in greater detail and from there hopefully wrap up the whole blight thing too.

Although worst case thedas just has to keep it's shit together for another hundred years or so and make it through the next (and presumably last) two blights, in theory anyway

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    I hate cole and I'm terrified of saying that out loud because I just know someone's going to call me ableist

edited January 2015
    I hate cole and I'm terrified of saying that out loud because I just know someone's going to call me ableist
    no whippy not you too...

edit what don't you like about cole though

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    He's basically fantasy thane? And I really didn't like thane

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I am

trying to figure out how thane and cole are similar at all

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Fenris can kiiiiinda go to hell, though

Getting 5 rivalry points every time I say something lighter than "all mages are literally the devil"

Unlike every other Bioware game ever, there's actually advantages to rival-ing some of your companions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    I am

trying to figure out how thane and cole are similar at all
    well they both do the "stare at you with big eyes and talk about shit you can only kind of figure out" thing, cole because he is a weird half ghost and thane because he has a weird lizard memory

They both also kill people kind of incredibly casually, again for slightly different reasons

So some surface stuff at least is definitely similar, if somebody didn't like what thane had going on I could definitely see getting the same vibe from cole and not wanting to get too involved with him

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I didn't like Thane at all but think Cole is super rad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I thought thanes RACE was super super interesting

Thane himself didn't do much for me

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    i liked thane!

cole is like, second rate creepypasta though

stop alliterating, fuckwit

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I liked Thane, but found the weird zoom ins on his face didn't really help bring me into the flashback moments he has.

It came off as distracting and weird.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Also Thane and Cole couldn't really be much more different and I am baffled at how anyone thinks they are equivalent to one another in any significant way at all.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Kwoaru wrote: »
    you know what

never answered!

well it is possible that (whole game stuff)
    we will figure that out in the next game

if the tevinter really did just find and repurpose basically all their shit from the ruins of the elven empire (and it sure seems like they did) then it follows that old elven pantheon and legends are the "most right" description of gods or incredibly powerful god-like beings and their fate

We're told that the elven pantheon was basically divided into two camps that were both sealed away by the dread wolf. The group that can roughly be taken as good was sealed away in a place "beyond reach" or something like that, which sure sounds a lot like the golden city in the fade which is always equidistant from every other place in the fade no matter how hard you try to get there. The bad group was sealed into the abyss which if taken pretty literally is just way the fuck underground and matches up with the old gods/archdemons.

So corypheus was attempting to breach the golden city (unseal the good gods) using knowledge and magic presumably gained from his patron old god dumat (one of the sealed evil gods) and depending on what Dumat was after things either went awry or they went perfectly, because the darkspawn showed up and started digging up old gods. Of course then we still don't know what happened to whoever/whatever was sealed in the golden city or how corruption fits in.

Anyway the point is that the blights are possibly linked more directly to the old elf gods than we would have previously thought and since we now have an dickish bald elf god running around the next game will probably deal with them in greater detail and from there hopefully wrap up the whole blight thing too.

Although worst case thedas just has to keep it's shit together for another hundred years or so and make it through the next (and presumably last) two blights, in theory anyway

okay so
    why are there only seven blights?

i mean i feel like i know this because i went and looked up what an "old god" is on the wiki just now and i guess there's seven of them?

but i feel like the game spent a lot of time throwing around the word "archdemon" like it was supposed to mean something to me

and i did try and look that one up in the codex and couldn't find anything very much, so it's not lack of effort, which is the usual reason i don't understand things in fantasy settings

This discussion has been closed.