As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Ours is the Light that illuminates the Dark Below! Hard Mode Crota's End awaits!

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Destinylfg is ass, why cant we have a matchmaker to do this shit? I would press the "+30 age required" button so hard!

How are you having trouble with .lfg on Crota? Like, VoG was all puzzles and junk, Crota is pretty much just "shoot many mans". Randoms should totally be able to rock that, even if they're not that great.

Randoms dont rock anything, alot of these dudes were in a raid for the first time, I can solo that fucking swordbearer, they had troubles with 3 dudes on him, every 5 minutes on the bridge it was "I want to cheese it" - "Shut up"
    its not like the bridge encounter is rocket science, I explained it like 10 times, when we got to Deathsinger and killed the Shriekers everyone just suddenly died
    I end up soloing Ir Yut with my Gjallarhorn 8-) we get up unto Crota, and the replacement dude is insisting on cheesing Crota and I'm outta there.

I insisted on a no cheesing run when I joined, so yeah fuck Destinylfg (or atleast this one group) I had to comb the site to find a group that didnt do the cheese and they end up insisting on it anyway.

Oh, I did get the gloves on my hunter though, even got the 2nd lootchest, but yeah I'd 1000x rather want to raid with PA dudes, stop living in weird timezones! (I'm the one living in a weird timezone I guess, but it fucking sucks!)

Sirialis on
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    Game One of PVP in forever: so much lag that my Nova Bomb fails to kill people.

Game Two: fall to my death three times thanks to Warlock jump...

Not the best start.

How do you manage to fall while Gliding? It's the most maneuverable of all the jump abilities. Unless you meant Blink. At which point... yeah. Yeah, I can see that.

I kept forgeting that if you fall, you can't recover.

That's why I sometimes fall on the jumping puzzle in the Vault.

When I'm a Hunter I'll let the slope push me off the side so I can use the double/triple jump to jump back onto the wall.

When you're a Warlock/Titan, you can't do that and I quite often forget that the first time I do it.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular

Not the best start.

How do you manage to fall while Gliding? It's the most maneuverable of all the jump abilities. Unless you meant Blink. At which point... yeah. Yeah, I can see that.

Left and right, maybe! But it's definitely the least forgiving of the jumps. Or maybe Hunter's less forgiving because you aren't slowed and have less range.

I'm not qualified to talk about Hunter and Warlock jumps, actually. I have a jetpack.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Destinylfg is ass, why cant we have a matchmaker to do this shit? I would press the "+30 age required" button so hard!

How are you having trouble with .lfg on Crota? Like, VoG was all puzzles and junk, Crota is pretty much just "shoot many mans". Randoms should totally be able to rock that, even if they're not that great.

Randoms dont rock anything, alot of these dudes were in a raid for the first time, I can solo that fucking swordbearer, they had troubles with 3 dudes on him, every 5 minutes on the bridge it was "I want to cheese it" - "Shut up"
    its not like the bridge encounter is rocket science, I explained it like 10 times, when we got to Deathsinger and killed the Shriekers everyone just suddenly died
    I end up soloing Ir Yut with my Gjallarhorn 8-) we get up unto Crota, and the replacement dude is insisting on cheesing Crota and I'm outta there.

I insisted on a no cheesing run when I joined, so yeah fuck Destinylfg (or atleast this one group) I had to comb the site to find a group that didnt do the cheese and they end up insisting on it anyway.

Oh, I did get the gloves on my hunter though, even got the 2nd lootchest, but yeah I'd 1000x rather want to raid with PA dudes, stop living in weird timezones! (I'm the one living in a weird timezone I guess, but it fucking sucks!)

People are just the worst sometimes. It's like they have a moral imperative to NEVER honestly engage with or be challenged by the game. What good is that gear going to do the cheesers if they'd do Anything to avoid actually playing the game?

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    "Destiny is my favorite game of the year for sure but I also think it’s probably one of my favorite games of all time. You can say what you want about the story but the moment to moment gameplay is better than any other shooter. It just feels good to play. I don’t know how else to describe it. People complain about the grind but the grind feels so good that I want to do it. In fact I’m hungry to grind more. I just need the barest hint of a reason to go back to these planets and strikes again.

I’m convinced Bungie will start getting the story stuff on track. All the pieces are there they just need to be organized and used by the right person. Someone is going to pull all these ideas together and tell an awesome story and when they do we’ll get the tie in novels and the comic books and Bungie will have a game that people will play for a Decade.

-Gabe"

I've been trying to say this forever. Blugh!

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The grind is fun until it's not

and then it really isn't

I dunno I feel like a switch got flipped for me over the last week with my enjoyment of this game. I'll still do the nightfall/weekly and get a raid or two in during the week, but I really don't want to do any more bounties or grind rep.

PvP, I haven't played in a while, but that will always be fun with PA groups

• Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    I'm in this awful place where I don't have time to play, so I can't get burned out. I just have this barrier that makes me want to play more and more.

Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I'm not too impressed with The Dark Below but it's crazy how every article on major gaming publications about Destiny is just this torrent of rage

Destiny makes people really angry for some reason

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Other than raids, nightfalls, and getting everyone to 30/31 after the level cap increase, I haven't played all that much Destiny.

If the game would just drop me a fatebringer or mythoclast or gjallarhorn or thunderlord I'd be back on the loot treadmill in an instant.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

and then it really isn't

I dunno I feel like a switch got flipped for me over the last week with my enjoyment of this game. I'll still do the nightfall/weekly and get a raid or two in during the week, but I really don't want to do any more bounties or grind rep.

Yeah, it's that kind of game.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I'm not too impressed with The Dark Below but it's crazy how every article on major gaming publications about Destiny is just this torrent of rage

most of our problems would be fixed if we could skip cutscenes :biggrin:

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm sure at some point the switch will flip back on and I will want to grind again.

If my schedule makes playing the next Iron Banner possible, whenever that is, I will probably grind the fuck out of that.

Now that is a fun grind.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    See, I'm just NOW getting into raiding. I've been working on 3 characters (mostly my Warlock) since the game came out, and I've been having a blast. Adding Raids into the mix has made it very interesting, and much more fun, and I wish I had hit up VoG earlier - with the PA crew.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Ugh there's 2 threads so Confusing! Copy/pasting from other
    skyknyt wrote: »
    Red Death was stupid good before the nerf. If they hadn't nerfed it at the same time as Suros, we'd probably have seen a month of Red Death only crucibles until it got nerfed too.

I thought the lowered impact + increased RoF made it almost the exact same as before?

I personally think the biggest thing bungee could do to make people use pulpulse rifles and give them a try, would to be to change up the fucking bounty during iron banner! I didn't buy a suros you assholes, quit giving me 50 AR headshot bounty every fucking day! Let me use my red death and make those suros users cry!

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular

and then it really isn't

I did my first nightfall in weeks and it was actually fun. Mainly because I wasn't soloing it for the loots, but just doing it with another PAER for fun. The game can turn into a grind, but it's up to you to not turn it into work. I Want to do crota, but I've only been logging in to PVP with some PA'ers myself recently, so as to keep everything fresh and not a job.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Because we bought into the hype, and were all let down in some way or another. Man, I love the game, but parts of it are wearing thin.

I'll be on tomorrow to finish getting Eris to rank 4 (I would be already, but I play a Titan and she hates me), and to do the Nightfall/Weekly/whatever raids I can get in on, but I'll be slowing down my play a lot after finishing the Eris bounties up.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    Anyone for weekly/nightfall or raid tonight? Give me a shout, Voranth on PS4.

camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Actually, she has the shoulder charge one today.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I am to a point level 31- where I am ready to raid. :)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Actually, she has the shoulder charge one today.

Yes, I know. The second Titan bounty in what, four weeks? :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Voranth wrote: »
    Anyone for weekly/nightfall or raid tonight? Give me a shout, Voranth on PS4.
    I may be on later for any of the above on my Titan or the weekly on my Warlock.

Warning: Titan is 28/29 so isn't leveled to level parity yet. But I have weapons to help mitigate that.

I won't be on until about 10 Central US time so if you find others before, feel free to go on. But I'll look for you later.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    SqueezeSqueeze Registered User regular

Just log in later in the week when everyone is doing stupid amounts of content on alts before the week ends. Not only were Justice and I running raids before other raids started, but we got our sixth for that last VoG run from Europe. I swore I'd never do that long of aplay session again, but there were 2-3 other pickup raids going as well. Also, grats to whoever got the Fatebringer when I popped into your raid for one fight. I wasn't kidding when I said I was there to help you clear until Justice called me or I got you through so we could pilfer bodies from your raid. Rememeber folks, it's better to be a friendly and open tool than a nice guy who acts like an anti-social turd. It's fun being/having a seventh man in a party.

• Options
    Squeeze wrote: »

Just log in later in the week when everyone is doing stupid amounts of content on alts before the week ends. Not only were Justice and I running raids before other raids started, but we got our sixth for that last VoG run from Europe. I swore I'd never do that long of aplay session again, but there were 2-3 other pickup raids going as well. Also, grats to whoever got the Fatebringer when I popped into your raid for one fight. I wasn't kidding when I said I was there to help you clear until Justice called me or I got you through so we could pilfer bodies from your raid. Rememeber folks, it's better to be a friendly and open tool than a nice guy who acts like an anti-social turd. It's fun being/having a seventh man in a party.

That was me with the Fatebringer. Thanks again.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Not the best start.

Left and right, maybe! But it's definitely the least forgiving of the jumps. Or maybe Hunter's less forgiving because you aren't slowed and have less range.

I'm not qualified to talk about Hunter and Warlock jumps, actually. I have a jetpack.

I always run with the first upgrade ("better directional control") instead of the second or third ("initial burst of speed" and a mix of both, respectively). I can move left then right, forward then backwards, and any mix of all four. It's pretty great and allows for some fun midair turns to get places. Hunters are the only ones whose jump ability lets you gain upward momentum again after starting downward. I'm not sure it's fair for Pluto to blame his deaths on Glide not being Double Jump. Otherwise we'd all start blaming Nova Bomb for killing ourselves unlike that sweet Golden Gun. Hell, now that I think of it... that is pretty bullshit. Only super that can directly kill the user (not counting Fist Of Havoking off a cliff).

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Maining a Titan makes all the other jumps feel second class.

Rocketpacks 4 lyfe.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Seriously the game has fantastic flavor text and lore. I keep trying to tell my friend that and he won't believe the game has any story, since he doesn't read that or the grimoire.

They took those Dark Souls influences really to heart.

So thanks for posting those!

I'm so frustrated that there is no attempt in an official manner to flesh out this world more. It's right there! The saga of The Last Word and the Thorn would make an amazing comic miniseries by itself!

Even in the item's appearances there is an untold story. For example, I am dead certain that the crest on the Helm of Saint-14 is ripped from the shoulders of a Cabal Primus. Just look at Primus Sha'aull. Again, I would kill to read a short novella of the story surrounding that encounter, which ends with Saint-14 affixing a memento of his triumph to the helmet that would soon bear his name.

Edit: Fuck, I should write the goddamn story of that fight myself.

Yeah there is a lot of neat stuff in destiny, but you have to dig sround. I keep hearing about the story with the Last Word and Thiporn, but I cannot find it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Rocketpacks 4 lyfe.
    It's more like easy mode, with Blink being the masterclass jump.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Rocketpacks 4 lyfe.
    It's more like easy mode, with Blink being the masterclass jump.

Sooooooo Warlocks are masterclass since Hunters stole it?

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Seriously the game has fantastic flavor text and lore. I keep trying to tell my friend that and he won't believe the game has any story, since he doesn't read that or the grimoire.

They took those Dark Souls influences really to heart.

So thanks for posting those!

I'm so frustrated that there is no attempt in an official manner to flesh out this world more. It's right there! The saga of The Last Word and the Thorn would make an amazing comic miniseries by itself!

Even in the item's appearances there is an untold story. For example, I am dead certain that the crest on the Helm of Saint-14 is ripped from the shoulders of a Cabal Primus. Just look at Primus Sha'aull. Again, I would kill to read a short novella of the story surrounding that encounter, which ends with Saint-14 affixing a memento of his triumph to the helmet that would soon bear his name.

Edit: Fuck, I should write the goddamn story of that fight myself.

Yeah there is a lot of neat stuff in destiny, but you have to dig sround. I keep hearing about the story with the Last Word and Thiporn, but I cannot find it.

Here you go:
    The Last Word
    I'm writing this from memory - some mine, but not all. The facts won't sync with the reality, but they'll be close, and there's no one to say otherwise, so for all intents and purposes, this will be the history of a settlement we called Palamon and the horrors that followed an all too brief peace.

I remember home, and stories of a paradise we'd all get to see some day - of a City, "shining even in the night." Palamon didn't shine, but it was sanctuary, of a sort.

We'd settled in the heart of a range that stretched the horizon. Wooded mountains that shot with purpose toward the sky. Winters were harsh, but the trees and peaks hid us from the world. We talked about moving on, sometimes, striking out for the City. But it was just a longing.

Drifters came and went. On occasion they would stay, but rarely.
    We had no real government, but there was rule of law. Basic tenets agreed upon by all and eventually overseen by Magistrate Loken.

And there you have it...no government, until there was. I was young, so I barely understood. I remember Loken as a hardworking man who just became broken. Mostly I think he was sad. Sad and frightened. As his fingers tightened on Palamon, people left. Those who stayed saw our days became grey. Loken's protection - from the Fallen, from ourselves - became dictatorial.

Looking back, I think maybe Loken had just lost too much - of himself, his family. But everyone lost something. And some of us had nothing to begin with. My only memory of my parents is a haze, like a daydream, and a small light, like the spark of their souls. It's not anything I dwell on. They left me early, taken by Dregs.

Palamon raised me from there. The family I call my own - called my own - cared for me as if I was their natural born son. And life was good. Being the only life I knew, my judgment is skewed, and it wasn't easy - pocked by loss as it was - but I would call it good.

Until, of course, it wasn't.

Until two men entered my world. One a light. The other the darkest shadow I would ever know.

The Last Word 2
    The man I would come to know as Jaren Ward, my third father and quite possibly my closest friend, came to Palamon from the south.
    I was just a boy, but I'll never forget his silhouette on the empty trail as he made his slow walk into town.

I'd never seen anything like him. Maybe none of us had. He'd said he was only passing through, and I believed him - still do, but life can get in the way of intent, and often does.

I can picture that day with near perfect clarity. Of all the details though - every nuance, every moment - the memory that sticks in my mind is the iron on Jaren's hip. A cannon that looked both pristine and lived in. Like a relic of every battle he'd ever fought, hung low at his waste - a trophy and a warning.

This man was dangerous, but there was a light about him - a pureness to his weight - that seemed to hint that his ire was something earned, not carelessly given.

I'd been the first to see him as he approached, but soon most of Palamon had turned out to greet him. My father held me back as everyone stood in silence.

Jaren didn't make a sound behind his sleek racer's helmet. He looked just like the heroes in the stories, and to this day I'm not sure one way or the other if the silence between the town's people and the adventurer was born of fear or respect. I like to think the latter, but any truth I try to place on the moment would be of my own making.

As we waited for Magistrate Loken to arrive and make an official greeting, my patience got the best of me. I shook free of my father's heavy hand and made the short sprint across the court, stopping a few paces from where this new curiosity stood - a man unlike any other.

I stared up at him and he lowered his attention to me, his eyes hidden behind the thick tinted visor of his headgear. My sight quickly fell to his sidearm. I was transfixed by it. I imagined all the places that weapon had been. All of the wonders it had seen. The horrors it had endured. My imagination darted from one heroic act to the next.

I barely registered when he began to kneel, holding out the iron as if an offering. But my eyes locked onto the piece, mesmerized.

I recall turning back to my father and seeing the looks on the faces of everyone I knew. There was worry there - my father slowly shaking his head as if pleading with me to ignore the gift.

I turned back to the man I would come to know as Jaren Ward, the finest Hunter this system may ever know and one of the greatest Guardians to ever defend the Traveler's Light...

And I took the weapon in my hand. Carefully. Gently.

Not to use. But to observe. To imagine. To feel its weight and know its truth.

That was the first time I held "Last Word," but, unfortunately, not the last.

The Last Word 3
    It was the fourth night of the seventh moon.

Nine rises since any sign.

Trail wasn't cold, but lukewarm would've been an exaggeration.

Jaren had us hold by a ravine.

The heavy wood along the cliffs' edge caught the wind, holding back the cold and the rush of water muffled our conversation.

We'd seen dual Skiffs hanging low as they cut through the valley.

Wasn't known Fallen territory, but anymore that's a dangerous assumption.

There were six of us then.

Three less than two moons prior, but still, one more than when we'd first turned our backs to Palamon's ash.

We took a rotation for watch during the night.

Movement was kept to a minimum and communication was down to hand signals and simple gestures.

We could hold our own in a fight, but only the dead went looking for one—a hard truth that cut in direct opposition to our reasons for being so far from anything resembling civilization, much less our safety.

The Skiffs had spooked Kressler and Nada, and, in truth, me as well. But, looking back, I think we were all just grasping for any good reason to turn back.

Not because we would—turn back—but because it seemed to be our only real hope, and I think we all knew it.

Forward. Where we were headed—into the unknown. And following the footsteps we were. It all just started to feel like a never-ending dead end after a while.

Jaren never wavered though. Not once.

At least not to any noticeable degree.

It was his drive, his conviction, that kept us going.

And—it's hard to think on—but if I'm honest, it was his death that rekindled my own fire. A fire that was all but exhausted on that cold night.

He seemed confident we were close.

But more than confident—sure. He seemed sure.

No one else felt it—our own confidence, and any enthusiasm we'd had was set to wither soon as Brevin, Trenn and Mel were gunned down.

The Ghost—Jaren's Ghost—never said a word to any of us. Just hung there. Always alert. Always judging. Not us, per se, but the moment. Any moment.

I never got the sense it thought of us as lesser. More that it was guarded, wary.

We knew it could speak. We'd overheard them a few times. Just brief words, and no one ever pressed the subject.

From time to time I caught its gaze lingering on me, but always assumed the attention was a result of the bond Jaren and I had. He was a father to me. At the time I didn't know why he'd singled me out as someone to care for. Someone to protect. After all the loss, I welcomed it, but looking back—taking in the arm's length at which he kept the others—I guess I should've known, or at least suspected there was more to it.

We all woke that night, closer to morning than the previous day.

A crack of gunfire split through the wood. Then more.

Far off, but near enough to pump the blood.

A familiar ring. "Last Word." Jaren's sidearm. His best friend.
    Then another. A single shot, an unmistakable echo calling through the night. Hushed, cutting.

One shot, dark and infernal. Followed by silence.

We crouched low and quiet. Listening. Hoping.

Jaren was gone. Off on his own.

Maybe we were closer than we'd allowed ourselves to believe.

Too close.

He'd gone to face death alone.

I couldn't admit it—not at the time—but he thought he was
    protecting us.

After such a long road—years on its heels, a trail littered with suffering and fire—maybe he just couldn't take the thought of anymore dead "kids," as he called us.

The echoes faded and we all held still. No way to track the direction. No sense in rushing blind.

What was done was done.

The cadence of the shots fired told a story none of us cared to hear.

"Last Word" it hadn't been. And somewhere in the world, close enough for us to bear absent witness but far enough to be a dream, Jaren Ward lay dead or dying. And there was nothing to be done.

Hours passed. An eternity.

We held our spot, but as the sun rose the others began to fade back into the world. Without Jaren there was nothing holding us together. No driving force. Vengeance had grown stale as a motivator. Fear and a longing to see more suns rise drove a wedge between duty and desire.

By midday I was alone. I couldn't leave. Wouldn't.

Either I would find Jaren and set him at ease, or the other would find me and that would be a fitting end.

Death marching on.

But then, a motion. Quick and darting. My muscles tensed and my hand shot to the grip of my leadslinger.

Then a confirmation of the horrible truth I had already accepted, as Jaren's Ghost came to a halt a few paces in front of me.

I exhaled and slumped forward. Still standing, but broken.
    The tiny Light looked me over with a curious tilt to its axis, then shot a beam of light over my body. Scanning me as it had done the very first time we met.

I looked up. Staring into its singular glowing eye.

And it spoke...

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    And for Thorn:
    The Rose
    The noble man stood. And the people looked to him. For he was a beacon - hope given form, yet still only a man. And within that truth there was great promise. If one man could stand against the night, then so too could anyone - everyone.

In his strong hand the man held a Rose. And his aura burned bright.

When the man journeyed on, the people remembered. In his wake hope spread. But the man had a secret fear. His thoughts were dark. A sadness crept from the depths of his being. He had been a hero for so long, but pride had led him down sorrow's road.

Slowly the shadows' whisper became a voice, a dark call, offering glories enough to make even the brightest Light wander. He knew he was fading, yet he still yearned.

On his last day he sat and watched the sun fall. His final thoughts, pure of mind, if not body, held to a fleeting hope - though they would suffer for the man he would become, the people would remember him as he had been.

And so the noble man hid himself beneath a darkness no flesh should touch, and gave up his mortal self to claim a new birthright. Whether this was choice, or destiny, is a truth known only to fate.

In that cool evening air, as dusk was devoured by night, the noble man ceased to exist. In his place another stood.

Same meat. Same bone. But so very different.

The first and only of his family. The sole forbearer and last descendent of the name Yor.

In his first moments as a new being, he looked down at his Rose and realized for the first time that it held no petals: only the jagged purpose of angry thorns.

The Bloom
    TYPE: Transcript.
    DESCRIPTION: Conversation.

PARTIES: Four [4]. Three [3] unidentified [u.1, u.2, u.3], One [1] unconfirmed.

ASSOCIATIONS: Breaklands; Durga; Last Word; Malphur, Shin; North Channel; Palamon; Thorn; Velor; Ward, Jaren; WoS; Yor, Dredgen;

//AUDIO UNAVAILABLE//

//TRANSCRIPT FOLLOWS.../

[u.1:0.1] Can I see what you got there?
    [silence]
    [u.1:0.2] Yer cannon...can I see it?
    [beat]
    [u.2:0.1] I know you?
    [beat]
    [u.1:0.3] Not that I can say.
    [u.2:0.2] And you wanna hold my piece?
    [beat]
    [u.1:0.4] Just that I never...seen one like it.
    [beat]
    [u.2:0.3] No, you haven't.
    [u.1:0.5] Looks dangerous.
    [u.2:0.4] Seems, maybe, that's the point.
    [u.1:0.6] Suppose so.
    [u.1:0.7] Can I see it?
    [u.2:0.5] Not likely.
    [silence]
    [u.1:0.8] Where'd...where'd you find it?
    [silence]
    [u.1:0.9] You hearin' me?
    [silence]
    [u.3:0.1] He asked you question.
    [silence]
    [u.2:0.6] Didn't find it. Made it.
    [u.1:1.0] Heh. Helluva touch you got then. You a 'smith?
    [u.2:0.7] I look like a 'smith?
    [u.1:1.1] Looks can be deceiving.
    [u.2:0.8] Got that right.
    [u.1:1.2] There a problem?
    [u.2:0.9] Doesn't need to be.
    [u.1:1.3] Glad we got that cleared up...Now, about that piece.
    [silence]
    [u.2:1.0] Been to Luna?
    [u.1:1.4] Excuse me?
    [u.2:1.1] The Moon. You been?
    [u.1:1.5] Nobody's been.
    [u.2:1.2] That a truth?
    [u.1:1.6] That's a fact.
    [u.2:1.3] Funny you'd make that distinction.
    [u.1:1.7] Truth is you must think you're some kinda something special. With that attitude. The way you're just dismissin' us like you we're nothing...like we ain't even here.
    [u.1:1.8] Fact is...You ain't near as rock solid as you figure. Fact is, special's only special 'til it's not.
    [silence]
    [u.2:1.4] The bones say otherwise.
    [u.1:1.9] Speak straight.
    [u.2:1.5] You say "nobody." Bones say otherwise.
    [u.1:2.0] What bones?
    [u.2:1.6] All of them.
    [u.1:2.1] What're you gettin' at?
    [u.2:1.7] Too many to count.
    [u.1:2.2] You trying to get a rile outta us? Was only making conversation.
    [u.2:1.8] You really weren't.
    [u.4:0.1] We got a smart one here.
    [u.2:1.9] Experienced more than smart. But experience has its advantages.
    [u.1:2.3] Experience tell you to lip off to strangers just tryin' to make talk?
    [u.2:2.0] Keep insisting and maybe we will.
    [u.1:2.4] Talk?
    [u.2:2.1] Have words.
    [u.1:2.5] Ain't that what we're doin'?
    [u.2:2.2] My conversations tend to be a bit louder.
    [silence]
    [u.1:2.6] That a threat.
    [u.2:2.3] A truth.
    [u.1:2.7] Who the hell you think you are?
    [u.2:2.4] According to your facts, "nobody." Yet, here I sit.
    [u.1:2.8] Don't matter much how pretty yer cannon is. You keep it up, we'll see just how loud you like to get.
    [silence]
    [u.1:2.9] You done talkin' now? Guess he knows his place, boys.
    [u.2:2.5] Ever have a nightmare?
    [u.1:3.0] You playin' games? Or just thick?
    [u.2:2.6] I know you have. This world? Can't help, but.
    [u.1:3.1] I don't have nightmares. I give 'em.
    [u.2:2.7] You are a goddamn cliché. The picture perfect bandit.
    [u.2:2.8] Hearing your voice - the things you're saying, the shade of the hard man you pretend to be...
    [u.1:3.2] Ain't no shade.
    [audible crack]
    [audible crack]
    [audible crack]
    [silence]
    [u.2:2.8] Sit down.
    [silence]
    [u.2:3.0] Sit. Down.
    [u.2:3.1] Your mouth just got your friends dead.
    [u.2:3.2] This is what happens when you bore me. And right now...
    [u.2:3.3] I'm so very bored.
    [u.1:3.3] Wha...No listen...
    [u.2:3.4] Shhhhh.
    [u.1:3.4] But...but...you're a...you're one of them...A Guardian, right?
    [u.1:3.5] You're supposed t'be one'a the good ones.
    [u.2:3.5] "Supposed to be?" Maybe I am. Maybe this is what "good" looks like.
    [u.2:3.6] Anymore, who can tell?
    [u.1:3.6] I...
    [u.2:3.7] You wanted to see my prize.
    [u.1:3.7] No...I...
    [u.2:3.8] Look at it.
    [u.1:3.8] I...
    [audible sobbing]
    [u.2:3.9] Whimpering won't stop what comes next.
    [u.2:4.0] Look...
    [audible sobbing]
    [u.2:4.1] Look at it.
    [u.2:4.2] Open your eyes.
    [audible sobbing]
    [u.2:4.3] Not many get such a clean view.
    [u.2:4.4] The bone...You see it. Jagged, like thorns.
    [u.2:4.5] I used to think of it as a rose...
    [u.2:4.6] Focusing on its bloom.
    [u.2:4.7] But the bloom is just a byproduct of its anger.
    [silence]
    [u.2:4.8] You have nightmares?
    [audible sobbing]
    [u.2:4.9] Ever seen a nightmare? Ever opened your eyes and realized the horror wasn't a dream? The terror wasn't gone?
    [u.2:5.0] I've seen nightmares.
    [u.2:5.1] They live in the shadows.
    [u.2:5.2] They've been watching.
    [u.2:5.3] I thought...It's foolish, I know...but I thought I saw a way.
    [u.2:5.4] That maybe we could win. Maybe we could survive.
    [u.2:5.5] But once you step into those shadows, it's so very hard to walk in the Light.
    [u.2:5.6] Or...maybe I just wasn't strong enough.
    [u.2:5.7] Maybe.
    [u.2:5.8] But I feel strong now.
    [audible sobbing]
    [u.2:5.9] I stole the dark.
    [u.2:6.0] Or, maybe it stole me.
    [u.2:6.1] Either way, here we are.
    [u.2:6.2] And I'm hungry.
    [u.2:6.3] Its hungry.
    [u.2:6.4] You have no Light beyond the spark of your pathetic life.
    [u.2:6.5] But a spark is something.
    [audible sobbing]
    [u.2:6.6] Open your eyes.
    [audible sobbing]
    [audible sobbing]
    [audible crack]
    [silence]
    [silence]
    [silence]

/...END TRANSCRIPT///

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Addendum for The Last Word:
    The Dark Age 2
    Loken's men found Jaren Ward in the courtyard where this had all began.

Nine guns trained on him. Nine cold hearts awaiting the order. Magistrate Loken, standing behind them, looked pleased with himself.

Jaren Ward stood in silence. His Ghost peeked out over his shoulder.

Loken took in the crowd before stepping forward, as if to claim the ground - his ground. "You question me?" There was venom in his words. "This is not your home."

I remember Loken's gestures here. Making a show of it all.

Everyone else was still. Quiet.

I tugged at my father's sleeve, but he just tightened his grip on my shoulder to the point pain. His way of letting me know that this was not the time.

I'd watched Jaren's every move over the past months, mapping his effortless gestures and slight, earned mannerisms. I'd never seen anything like him. He was something I couldn't comprehend, and yet I felt I understood all I needed the moment I'd seen him. He was more than us. Not better. Not superior. Just more.

I wanted father to stop what was happening. Looking back now, I realize that he didn't want to stop it. No one d id.

As Loken belittled Jaren Ward, taunted him, enumerated his crimes and sins, my eyes were stuck on Jaren's pistol, fixed to his hip. His steady hand resting calmly on his belt.

I remembered the pistol's weight. Effortless. And my concern faded. I understood.

"This is our town! My town!" Loken was shouting now. He was going to make a show of Jaren - teach the people of Palamon a lesson in obedience.

Jaren spoke: clear, calm. "Not anymore."

Loken laughed dismissively. He had nine guns on his side. "Those gonna be your last words then, boy?"

The movement was a flash: quick as chain lightning. Jaren Ward spoke as he moved. "Yours. Not mine."

Smoke trailed from Jaren's revolver.

Loken hit the ground. A dark hole in his forehead. Eyes staring into eternity.

Jaren stared down the nine guns trained on him. One by one, they lowered their aim. And the rest of my life began - where, in a few short years, so many others would be ended.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The writing in that exchange with the strangers is so fucking good. My favorite bit is this:

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Anyone think the media members, who normally get to play games fully before release, have that same feeling of let down that users do since they didn't get to play it a month in advance? Since the media's not used to that, I think they're nerd raging all over Destiny. Just a guess on my part though.

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    The writing in that exchange with the strangers is so fucking good. My favorite bit is this:

http://youtu.be/k7QVzdQIVwU

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Destiny is an odd game. About the time I get tired of it keep bumbling onto amusing things. Tonight, even though I'm running solo patrols the showers of Radiance orbs from slamming out Dragons Breath rockets between grenade cooldows just makes me smile. Makes me wish there was a third person playback mode.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

and then it really isn't

I kind of feel like I'm reaching a point where I'm getting pretty tired of doing all the Eris and Vanguard bounties on two characters every day. As much as I enjoy playing it's starting to feel like work, so I think this week I'm only going to do both sets of bounties on my Titan (who needs as much plasteel plate as I can get my hands on) and only Eris's bounties on my Warlock who is almost rank 4. I also have the Bad Juju bounty on two characters so I might just forgo bounties for a few days and just do Roc strikes. Mixing things up might start making the game feel like less of a grind for a bit.

I spent about an hour just exploring areas of Mars I hadn't spent much time in and had a really good time finding caves, chests, seeing some new vistas, and finding the limits of the map.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll do bounties if I'm in the mood to just relax and waste time - so they've replaced Patrols for me entirely - but I don't feel motivated to do them, or to do the daily heroic, on a daily basis. I've barely leveled Eris. And this week is the first since launch that I didn't bother touching the Weekly.

My thing with Destiny is that - and I know so many of you feel this way, and I sound like a broken record - the PA community is the game. Before TDB came out, there was a string of several nights in a row where almost nobody was on, and when I came on and saw that, I just logged off immediately and went to play something else. If I can't get six PAers together for Crucible in a given session, I'm not as interested as I was in the past to just play for the sake of playing. Rumble can be fun, but if it's nighttime and I'm online, I want to be playing with PA. Hell, to tell the truth, if people aren't playing Destiny, I'd rather hop in a party chat with people who are doing other things and play some Wii U or something while just hanging out. That's what this game is, oftentimes. It's "Raid Team: The Game" one night per week for me and "Hanging Out: The Game" on a bunch of other nights. I'm grateful for that.

As long as people are playing the Crucible every night or every few nights and as long as we're raiding every week, I'm going to keep playing. I guess what I'm saying is that none of you are allowed to stop playing Destiny.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Anyone up for a last minute Nightfall, I've just cleared past the second set of Fallen and I'm on my way to the uphill Hive fight now.

EDIT: Just finished, good fucking god that took a long time, well let's see what I get...

8LyowZV.jpg

hahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAH

Maddoc on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    you deserve it/it's the only thing that could salve your pain

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    By the way you can't see it behind the tooltip but that strike is like four hundred enemies.