As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Annual Grindies: Winners in OP!

2»

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    If we did have a best music category, It's a toss up between FFXIV and Wildstar. FFXIV's score holds up the rep the franchise has cultivated over the years while I feel Kurtenacker's score for carbines game definitely was an earned paycheck. It was epic without being 'traditional ' and probably one of the few aspects of that failed experiment that stayed on target.

FFXIV would win because of the Good King Mog song alone simply because the Lore team leader Koji Fox sang the damned thing and it's glorious.

If I was to pick just one from FFXIV:ARR,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhtM7eyhjrg

Still friggin gives me goosebumps.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The voting will begin tomorrow, so last call for nominations (including the new music category)

YL9WnCY.png
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I nominate World of Warcraft as best music award. Just the original music is timeless and deserves to be recognized as some of the best.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Voting is a go!

YL9WnCY.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    W-where was the voting exactly D:?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    W-where was the voting exactly D:?

In the OP it says to message him with your votes.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I guess Landmark isn't eligible due to beta? It's missing from the real estate nomination list.

Edit: and from the crafting list

Kylindra on
    Game has to be out first, and still active (so things like Warhammer or City of Heroes cannot be nominated)

YL9WnCY.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Can we nominate something that isn't on the list?

Because, and I'm probably a bad person for going here, but I'd really like to throw Destiny out there for Best Dungeon Design.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Can we nominate something that isn't on the list?

Because, and I'm probably a bad person for going here, but I'd really like to throw Destiny out there for Best Dungeon Design.

I believe nominations are closed at this point, since voting has started. You missed the window! :)

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That's fair. I saw this mentioned just recently in the GW2 thread, so I guess I missed out. No worries.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    -edit-

I must be crazy I swear I read that we were posting votes in the thread. I will PM

Regina Fong on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    That's fair. I saw this mentioned just recently in the GW2 thread, so I guess I missed out. No worries.

We got Destiny stuck in there for best combat...vote for eeettt!

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Honestly surprised some sort of polling system wasn't used :>

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Not enough people voting.

Winners announced tomorrow! How exciting.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Congrats to FFXIV. That was a band wagon I jumped on when it first launched, and I will never buy a final fantasy game ever again after their recent travesties. That said, I hear I'm missing a decent mmo.

What is this I don't even.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I still think Neverwinter did a worse job with the hostile F2P model then SWTOR, even for all of SWTOR's F2P and preferred restrictions, simply by virtue of all the content locked behind sometimes obscenely high paywalls and having the main free alternative to getting some of that content involve a lot of grinding and a dizzying amount of currencies to keep track of.

The game itself has some merits but they get buried by the business shenanigans in a way that I never saw with SWTOR.

488W936.png
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Good year for MMOs in general. Glad to see FFXIV take home GoTY: after playing some of the game content myself, its easy to say it did deserved it.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    Good year for MMOs in general. Glad to see FFXIV take home GoTY: after playing some of the game content myself, its easy to say it did deserved it.

I always tell people if you would have told me over a year ago that I'd still be playing the new FFXIV MMO I would have laughed in your face. It failed so hard, and the very idea that it could even be salvaged was laughable.

But the idea that it could be made into one of the best MMOs on the market, and be poised to turn into a long term success? Ludicrous.

And yet here we are, I'm stuck at work and all I can think about is patch 2.5 and how I'm not home playing it RIGHT NOW and how I have lost precious HOURS of gametime because of something so silly as my job.

I mean hell they are adding Triple Triad to the game in a month. A full blown collectible card game in an MMO which apparently you'll also eventually be able to play on tablet outside the game. We live in strange, wonderful times.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I'm going to run up to @Corehealer‌ and mash square so hard.

http://youtu.be/74ZXp_5M_7c

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Just make sure you've mapped Square to /poke.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I haven't played FF since the relaunch, which probably affected my voting (can't vote for something if you haven't played it afterall). That said, happy to see Tera recognized for its combat and GW2 for its artwork. I actually kind of hated GW2 but it is a very nice-looking game.

Tera combat is obviously the bees knees. I think I'm still waiting for a game that marries combat on par with Tera with a storyline/world that I can give more than 1/10th of a fuck about.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Not surprised XIV took top honors.

YoshiP and crew have done and are still doing an amazing job. It helps that YoshiP is more of the Blizzard mindset when designing a game and not the SE mindset. One being "take the good, fix the broke, cut the bad" and the other "TOSS IT ALL OUT! All of our previous work? ALL OF IT AND START FROM SCRATCH!!!!"

I played 1.0, it was beyond bad, and even when ARR was coming out I wasn't all that excited since by that time I was so sick of hotbar combat.

A friggin year later and I'm still playing the damn game and will drop mad money on the expansion's CE. Who would've guessed?

Plus, YoshiP seems like a seriously nice guy. Whenever I see videos of him meeting fans he seems just as excited to meet the fan as they are to meet him. That ain't something you can fake.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Congrats to FFXIV. That was a band wagon I jumped on when it first launched, and I will never buy a final fantasy game ever again after their recent travesties. That said, I hear I'm missing a decent mmo.

I haven't played in many months now, but FFXIV was probably the first MMO I can say I didn't stop playing because I didn't like it (shit just got busy and then D&D became a part of my life). I've recently had an urge to go back, too. ARR is absolutely nothing like the original FFXIV. Mind you, it's standard fare, but Squeenix has done a wonderful job embracing the standard fare and adding their own unique touches and character to it. If I were to go back to a Pay to Play MMO at this point, ARR is pretty much the only one I would consider worth the monthly fee.

So, tl;dr, if you ever get a chance to try the game out, like a 7 or 10 day trial, I'd urge you to give it a shot if you like MMOs. It is a little slow to start (as are most), but by about level 20 or so you start having access to a dungeons, new classes, etc., and it's a lot of fun.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yay FF14. Was definitely my MMO of the year, and basically swept every category I expected it to. Much like Drlph, if you'd have told me a year ago the latest FF MMO would have a permanent seat at my "MMO's I'll probably always play, at least a little" table with WoW, I would have laughed at you.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling