As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[5e Eberron: Recruitment]What Is and What Should not Be

GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
edited December 2014 in Critical Failures
Edit: Alternate Title "If it Keeps on Raining"
Where were you when the world shook?

People still ask strangers that, as if to asses their worth. I was preparing for a long march. The warforged, those who were to be the first of the officer core, were striking camp. We had 20 miles to cover that day, our horses were tired, and we were still 15 days out.

It came as a slow tremor, and then a foul smell; not rancid, not stomach turning, but wrong. It was like smelling the concept of wrongness. The earth showing its disgust at what man had wrought. Then there was a crack, like a club striking stone. You know what I am talking about, you heard it too. The same sound; the same volume; everywhere.

We got word mid-day. A little bird told me a note "destination no longer exists, wait further instructions". The war stopped for a full two weeks. No battles, no skirmishes, no movement. Not even the undead stirred. When the war did start again only the warforged and skeletons fought with any zeal, it was just not the same

Nothing has been the same since. The war is over but peace has not brought bounty, the empire cannot protect the countryside. Men who have been hardened by war have no war to fight and no practice to keep them busy. And no one does anything about it, they're too tired. The age is tired. And I too am tired.

When i related the news to the troop the warforged didn't react. I asked my lieutenant, a warforged I had known since his birth in my forge, how he could be unmoved. He told me "it was just like any other day, it is only the numbers that are different". It is only now I realize I did that to him. I did that to all of them.

I have but one request to whomever reads this. Tell them I am sorry. Tell them all that I am sorry.

So. I am thinking I am going to start up a 5e Eberron game(mainly scheduled, but potentially some PBP for non-combat) sometime in January. I've got what I think is an interesting plot that will take characters all throughout the world, meeting lots of interesting characters in interesting situations with plenty of skulduggery and intrigue, plenty of fighting(i can fit roughly all non-good aligned creatures into this campaign), and exploring and all the good bits(I have travel planned to roughly 60% of the world by region name). Its not perfectly fleshed out but its enough that I like the direction and can build the major points as I go.

At the moment I am heading out of town for the next week(back on the fifth). But wanted to drop a thread which people can talk amongst themselves and plan if they want to play/make characters/talk about the world and how to handle things for which there are not rules/complain about my rule edits/suggest other rule edits/yadda yadda yadda. My ideal start time is around the end of January, once we have a set of players who want to play and a schedule people can make it to.

General Structure of the game:
  • 5 Players
  • Online Session with Roll 20: Once Per Week. Scheduled as necessary
  • 27 Point Buy (16 highest pre-race stats): Level 1
  • Alternate Racial Options allowed
  • Multiclassing Strongly discouraged
  • Race Fluff via Eberron 3.5 ECS: If you don't have this don't worry i can get you the info you need
  • Class fluff is however you want to do it with one exception: Monk's can't actually be monks. They can be physical adepts though. I am on the fence about warlocks. If you make one i will be less inclined to pick your character due to potential plot reasons.
  • Rangers are heavily discouraged: Re-fluff a fighter or a Bard. This is only because rangers are kind of bad.
  • You may not be an artificer, dragonmarked, changling, khalistar, or dragonborn. This is partially for plot reasons. Partially for lack of rule reasons and partially because dragonborn do not exist in 3.5 ECS.
  • Shifters and Warforged, Goblin, and Hobgoblin are OK*
  • Backgrounds are malleable. Feel free to invent new ones or riff off old ones.
  • Please do not tie yourself to an organization. Contacts are fine, former ties are fine. Current ties can be problematic.
  • @Aegeri might be able to play depending on how things work out and if he wants to. But he already knows the plot and would have to be super careful about being meta

You may choose any background you wish. Though you should have a reason to adventure. You will have received a hand Sivis delivered letter which bears the mark of the Wayfarers
Dear Sir or Madam _____(insert your name here)

It has come to my attention that you possess a certain set of skills of which the wayfarers are in need. Three days ago, a one Professor Arnagall of Morgrave University contacted us about putting together a team for an expedition of confidential nature. It is the opinion the supervising committee that you possess one aspect of the necessary skills to complete the request in a satisfactory manner. Please consider this an official invitation to the guild, contingent on completing the aforementioned assignment.

Enclosed is a letter of credit sufficient to procure transportation to Sharn and lodging for one week. Please meet Professor Arnagall at 3:00 PM on 23 Olarune in conference room A of Cubdral hall. If the professor would like to make use of your services she will furnish supplies of no less than 1000 gold for the expedition. If not you will receive a reasonable compensation for your time. Payment is expected to be 5,000 gold for the completion of the mission, subject to the guilds usual 5% finders fee.

Sincerely,
Boroman ir'Dayne

Current Edits to 5e which will exist in this game:
  1. Proficiency Bonuses are +2 and do not change. When you would otherwise gain +1 Proficiency you will instead gain +1 everything.
  2. Advantage is +2/-2. Flanking confers advantage(for now). Cover confers disadvantage
  3. There will be escalation die
  4. Shields are +1 AC. Shields are otherwise way too strong
  5. Sharpshooter/Spell Sniper no longer has any effect on cover
  6. The alert initiative bonus is now +3
  7. The dual wielder feat only allows the primary weapon to not be light.
  8. You may not take the Elemental Adept feat
  9. There will be no mounted combat: son don't take it
  10. Crossbow Expert does not negate disadvantage from adjacency
  11. Observant's bonus to passive perception is now +2
  12. Archery Combat Style is disallowed.
  13. Ally defensive abilities which require a shield no longer require a shield.

I reserve the right to change this as I see fit

A Descriptor of the world as I see it:

The way I see Eberron in 5e is that individual magic items are super rare while services, scrolls, and potions are reasonably priced and available, so long as you have a sponsor. Almost all magic items production is state or house run and owned. All of the normal stuff you see and can buy in the 3.5 ECS is all there with the exception of personal magic items. Artificers exclusively work for the houses or the state. Dragonmarked are more or less bonded by the houses, dragonshards are more or less confiscated by the houses. Etc etc. Basically any group of wizards which might be able to produce individual magic items are all working on big collective projects. This reconciles rare magic items with Eberron's magicpunk world. Players are free to make a wizard or warlock or sorcerer and flavor them as an gadgeteer. But there won't really be any permanent magic item creation. Because magic items tend to be property of the government or great houses this gives me a lot of leeway with how to

Additionally I treat artificiers, dragonmarked, Changlings(I might back off on this), Khalistar, Dragonborn, and true monks like Gandalf. These characters will always be central to something, in a way which excludes them from being PC's. And, just like you can't roll a vampire and be like "oh yea he is the legit Son of Cain, second generation" you similarly cannot play artificers et al. This might seem restrictive but I think that resolving the issue of "why you're adventuring" when you have properties which should put you in positions of authority is more important. Additionally such authority or assumptions means its harder for me to reasonably tranche information and plot points for the party, being unattached(doesn't mean you can't have contacts) to plot central organizations makes it a lot easier to make the story flow.

The other big thing with Eberron is that i hate almost all of the lore that isn't from the 3.5 ECS/core lore books. Most of the reason for this is because the 3.5 core lore books set Eberron up as this ambiguous world. Where evil wasn't necessarily evil and good wasn't necessarily good. And then the books and 4e core came along and were like "oh yea all these things are unambiguously evil for the sake of being evil" and it pulled a lot of the mystery out of the world. What are the motives of the dreaming dark? Well i don't know but i bet they're just super evil evil because goddamn everything else is just boring old evil, the gods are just like every other DnD God and the Lord of Blades might as well be wearing a snidely whiplash mustache. Part of this probably has to do with the "if it exists in DnD then it exists in Eberron".

I don't like that. It removes the mystery for players since they do not know what might not be. So I am rolling the lore back to 3.5 ECS/Core lore books and I am removing the idea that if it exists in DnD then it must exist in Eberron. Anything which is even slightly a mystery in the core lore books is similarly a mystery in my world. Players don't know about the Aurum. Players don't know about the Dreaming Dark. Players(generally) think that the Lords of Dust are a fairy tale. No one knows about the Chamber. The worldview of the 5 nations is an observation based one. The 5 nations generally hold that the more mystical Dhakaani are superstitious and tribal and that the Daughters of Sora Kell are merely smooth political operators they are seen as a threat because anything which acts in its own interests can be a threat. So and and so forth.

*I haven't decided how to handle shifter PC's. I am thinking that they can choose three of Str,Dex,Con (max +2) and then choose a shift ability more or less directly out of the 3.5 ECS, modified as necessary for 5e. It doesn't look like that should be too hard.

Similarly I am not sure how to handle warforged PC's but I am thinking that they choose two of Str, Dex, Con, Int(max +1) and one feat. When they create their character they may choose an armor type to wear permanently(but do not gain proficiency in that armor automatically). Doesn't sleep, and is immune to some poisons/gasses/breathing

I am thinking of statting Goblin's like Half-lings and Hobgoblin's like Half-Orcs.

wbBv3fj.png
Goumindong on

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I am happy to be the cackling strange advisor in the background role.

A role I play expertly at that muahahaha.

Also 4e's depiction of The Lord of Blades was more Robot Hitler than anything else.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    At what time of day, and timezone, do you plan on having the roll20 stuff happen? :o

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    depends on the players. I am PST so if we have large time zone discrepencies it will probably be a weekend

wbBv3fj.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Well this looks completely awesome and immersive. Couple of points:

A.) The only edition I have experience with is 5E; will this take away from your 3.5 era setting? For example I wouldn't really know what the deal is with Warforged, Shifters, or any of the other races/classes you mentioned, though I could do some homework if it was required reading.

B.)
    i. How many Point Buy points does it cost to go from 15 to 16? The 5e PHB only lists up to 15.
    ii. When you say 'everything' goes up instead of Proficiency, what does that include?
    iii. What is an escalation die? I think Aegeri has talked about in 5e chat before, but I'm curious how it works.

C.) If interested, when should we start brewing and/or posting character ideas and sheets?

D.) I'm EST, but have a swing shift at work so I am up different hours every day. I pretty much only work and sleep from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon, so my availability is less good then, but I am very flexible for the most part.

I am super interested, but much depends on the roll20 playing time, as I am on CET. (+1 GMT)

A) no, lack of 3.5 exp will not hinder you. Eberron was a 3.5 setting originally and doesn't have a 5e equivalent. I don't like what they did to it with the 4e adaption and that is what I am rolling back. The best way to describe Eberron would be 3.5 magic punk; a logical extension of the high magic economy that 3.5 implied (whereas FR is like high magic trying to pretend it's still some gritty low magic world). Like magical industrialization. Shifters are like half were-creatures. warforged are cheap intelligent golems meant to be foot soldiers in the 100 year war which just ended. There are also intelligent undead which serve the same purpose. The theme of the last war mimics the horror of post civil war/ww1. Industrialized magical war on a terrifying scale. I am not near the source books so I can't really elaborate further though I will say it's not hard to find the 3.5 ECS.

B i) my mistake 15 is mad pre racial
    ii) everything which proficiency would increase. All saves all skills etc. the idea is to fix some of the 5e math problems at high levels.
    iii) escalation die are a way to make combats faster. Players get +1 to attack on rnd 2 scaling to +6 on rnd 7. I can explain why this works in a week or so of @aegeri can do it for me.

C) whenever you want. I expect to be able to make 1-2 posts/day in here but won't have much review time.

D) i can accommodate eat fairly easily. Worst case if you don't get chosen. Don't not submit because you're est or gmt +whatever.

wbBv3fj.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Escalation is a mechanic from 13th age, where a d6 is placed down and used to track an increasing bonus that players get to hit and damage (I apply it to some other things as well, like rolls for healing). It starts at the second round at +1 and increases eventually to +6 by round 7. The idea is that it has a small effect on the initial stage of a fight, but vastly speeds up a battle where the players have conclusively won OR provides a means by which the players can stage a comeback in a dire situation. In practice I have found it doesn't bother the initial balance of an encounter or make them too easy, while doing exactly what it is supposed to do: Rapidly conclude obviously won battles so the players can move on.

It basically removes that "hero orc" effect where some monster just by pure blind uncaring chance can't be hit by pcs whatsoever or consistently survives on minimal HP or something. Once escalation gets to +3 or 4 with the way the maths in 5e works PCs basically never miss. Depending on the monster, some interact with escalation by adding it to damage or similar, but generally it's a PC only mechanic. I think it's one of the best ideas I have seen in a DnD like game for many years.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited January 2015
    Little bump to say that I will be back in Seattle on the 5th and would love to start reviewing sheets for interested players.

Edit: Jesus christ apples autocorrect is retarded. Bump not numb. How the fuck did you get numb?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Aww man it would be amaaazing if @Aegeri would get in on this as a player. Alas!

Would you like character sheets/descriptions/whatever PMed to you or posted in the thread?

Also: Maptools?

Roll20 I think. Maptools isn't updated anymore as far as I know. I will be playing around with the various programs as soon as I get home. Go a head and post links in the thread or pm me if you want.

wbBv3fj.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Posting this as a springboard for folks to work on their characters: link here.

I'll probably have my character sheet up tonight; before I get started, @goumindong I want to confirm with you that Shillelagh affects the bonus action attack with a quarterstaff with Polearm Mastery (end result being a standard action Attack for 1d8+Wis, a bonus action attack for 1d8+Wis, and a shield in the other hand).

Also, what level range should we plan on for characters? 1-8? 12? 20?

silence1186 on
    I plan on taking this all the way to 20. It's a goddamn long campaign structure I have set.

I am not next to my books until Monday but I would suspect that no pole arm mastery and shillelagh do not interact like that. Shillelagh I don't think gives you the normal attack action, the bonus attack from from polearm mastery is strictly 1d4 regardless of your weapon and the shillelagh isn't a one handed polearm so you cannot use polearm mastery with it and use a shield at the same time

wbBv3fj.png
    Repost from 5e thread:

So, in the process of starting my campaign a potential player @terrendos asked me a question. I thought it was an interesting exercise in character creation and highlights some of the pitfalls that players make when designing a character
    torrendos wrote:
    better with the themes of your game. Either way it's going to be a Monk, but I'll be re-flavoring appropriately to something non-ki.

The first idea is a Hermit character who was charged with the protection of a sacred relic/dangerous weapon/rare object of significant power, which was pilfered from under his watch. Now he quests to recover it, but he needs money in order to track it down. If there's some sort of powerful item early-game we'd be retrieving, that would be ideal for this particular character.

My other idea is for a Folk Hero character who supposedly killed a mighty beast that was terrorizing a town. In fact, he is a thief who betrayed the true hero, killing the man and claiming his identity. Guilt-ridden and remorseful, he continues the charade because he believes that the world needs the hero more than the thief. If there's no important MacGuffin to chase after early on, this is probably the better choice.

My familiarity with the 3.5 Eberron is pretty limited, I mostly know the 4E version. How do Warforged make out in this post-war world? Are they slaves and property, or were they granted universal independence? I was also kicking around an idea for a "Warforged Moses" sort of character.

I replied
    Iirc (again not near my books) warforged were freed with the treaty of thronehold. Though some may still be in servitude most should be free. iirc the main difference between 3.5 and 4e Eberron is the retcon of eladrin and dragonborn into the timeline and the introduction of the books into the cannon.

Being a "warforged Moses" won't work. Not only because the Lord of Blades already exists to maybe fill that role but also because it's imposing on the narrative. Not saying that something like that won't happen but I am saying that you can't start out as the warforged Moses.

I might also say that, in general, characters which have specific goals either tend to clash with or supercede the other players or end the campaign. Suppose you're warforged Jesus and another character is zombie ghandi. Either zombie ghandi has to get on board with the warforged Jesus train and put zombie independence behind or warforged jesus does.

Similarly with a guy who wants to get a specific object. He gets it and then what? Stops adventuring or finds some dumb excuse to continue. While I expect that my plot might provide enough impetus it can often be hard to say that it will. After all that is your purpose and you ought to get back to it.

In contrast the middle idea is a really good one (even as a warforged monk as your class). You have a personal impetus to adventure no matter what the adventure is. You won't clash with the DMs plot no matter what it is. You get to be a hero without necessarily writing the plot with your backstory. So the story gets to be about you and your group no matter what happens. You have ties to potential plot hooks/side plots that can put into almost any organization in the world.

If you don't mind I might want to copy/paste this into the thread(or 5e thread) to spur a discussion of what makes a good character.

And torrendos replied
    torrendos wrote:
    I don't see any reason why Zombie Ghandi and Warforged Moses can't both have their way :P

Go ahead and share this, if you like. As I said, the first idea would only be good if there was already some campaign item that would work with the narrative (I generally like to ensure that the characters I make will gel nicely with the DM's plot so as not to ruin his carefully-crafted game of deception and intrigue with a dumb Barbarian who doesn't understand the concept of lying). As for Warforged Moses, I didn't really pursue it because I figured it would clash.

I will continue working on Character 2 then.

In my mind a good character has plot hooks but no purpose. Because otherwise your characters will almost invariably have cross purposes. I for one don't think that warforged Moses and zombie ghandi can coexist in the same party. It's not that they would fight each other it's just that ghandi should rather leave the party than abandon his cause to fix Moses's and similarly the other way around. "LET HIS PEOPLE GO" said no one ever.

The second character idea is a better one regardless of whether or not there is a macguffin. This is because the second character, short of the plot being over, doesn't have a reason to leave the party once the macguffin is found. The second character also isn't central to the plot if there is a macguffin, letting everyone be equally important with regards to their play.

The first character, more or less, is an NPC not a PC.

This doesn't mean that characters can't be interesting.

"Failed out of morgrave, can't face his family"

"City guard, can't get promoted because of corruption"

"Wizard given quest to find purpose by mentor"

"Cleric finding their God"

"Sorcerer, shunned and feared in home village, homeless"

"Thief, pulled the wrong job has to run"

"Killed a man in Vegas just to watch him die, escaped prison, ain't gonna go back copper!"

"Soldier, war is over, can't find work due to unruly behavior and little need for blades"

"Spy, disavowed"

All of these people have interesting hooks, but none of them have a specific purpose. This lets the plot be their purpose without any hassle, regardless of what the plot is. Then this lets them develop relationships with the party which can hold the group together after they have enough success to retire.

This answers the all important question of "why are you an unaffiliated adventurer working the most dangerous job in the world?" Otherwise the DM would just give you a character background to play "you're all part of a monastic order charged to protect the fargenflughhuh. How did you get there?"

Too often the answer players come back with to the question of "why are you an unaffiliated adventurer working the most dangerous job in the world?" is "I'm not"

wbBv3fj.png
    Alright, I'm home from work and have gotten out my PHB. I'm going to give this a slightly more detailed shot, but no worries if you don't think it works @Goumindong‌, since the overall class and character concept is doable in multiple variations.

Part I: A quarterstaff is a one-handed simple weapon that deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage on hit. Since it is one-handed, its use does not preclude the use of a shield. (PHB pg. 149)

Part II: Polearm Master relevant text (PHB pg. 168) "When you take the Attack action and attack with only a glaive, halberd, or quarterstaff, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. The weapon's damage die for this attack is a d4, and the attack deals bludgeoning damage." So taking these two together, my understanding is with shield in one hand and quarterstaff in the other, you can take an Attack action for 1d6+Str and a bonus action attack for 1d4+Str. So at this point we are at (1d6+Str) attack + (1d4+Str) bonus attack + shield.

Part III: Shillelagh relevant text (PHB pg. 275) "The wood of a club or quarterstaff you are holding is imbued with nature's power. For the duration, you can use your spellcasting ability instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of melee attacks using that weapon, and the weapon's damage die becomes a d8. The weapon also becomes magical, if it isn't already. The spell ends if you cast it again or if you let go of the weapon." Adding this into the mix, a generous interpretation would be a (1d8+Wis) attack + (1d8+Wis) bonus attack + shield, though I could see a more conservative argument for a (1d8+Wis) attack + (1d4+Wis) bonus attack + shield.

So this was my thought process. Whatever you rule, I think I can make something work.

A quarterstaff isn't or shouldn't be a one handed weapon. The bonus attack from polearm master does not appear to do bonus stat damage. Though it's not such a concession if it does. Either way the shillelagh text does not override the polearm bonus attack text.

I will split the difference. You may, with polearm master do one attack for 1d8+wis and one for 1d4+wis. Both would use your wisdom mod for attack. You may use a shield with a quarterstaff but may only use the polearm mastery bonus attack if you are wielding the weapon 2-handed.

It's like "I am a monk with polearm mastery and dual wield mastery" I attack with a quarterstaff, bonus off hand attack with quarterstaff (or other monk weapon), bonus unarmed attack due to monk weapon and bonus polearm attack due to polearm mastery which i can do due to the order of which I do them in. I attack 4 times/round at level 4 and 3 times at level 1 and 5 times at level 5/6 and it all does unarmed damage die damage! Flurry for two more! Yea totally not allowing that interaction either.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2015
    I love healing, and am always willing to be the party healbot. If someone else wants to be the party cleric, or if Goum doesn't sign off on the Nature cleric Polearm Master character concept, I do have back up idea for a character
    Ossory

Male Human (Variant) Outlander Cleric 1
    Neutral Good
    Representing silence1186

Base Stats (27 Point Buy + Racial Bonuses):
    Strength 16 (+3)
    Dexterity 10 (+0)
    Constitution 14 (+2)
    Intelligence 8 (-1)
    Wisdom 16 (+3)
    Charisma 8 (-1)

Size: Medium
    Height: 6' 2"
    Weight: 200 lb
    Skin: Tan
    Eyes: Green
    Hair: Blond Straight; Thick beard

Maximum Hit Points: 10
    Hit Die: 1 (1d8+2)
    Speed: 30 feet

Wanderer - Excellent memory for maps, geography, and general layout of terrain, settlements, and surrounding features. Can forage food and water for self and up to five other people, terrain permitting.
    Languages: Common Sylvan Undercommon

Proficiencies:
    Light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, simple weapons, martial weapons, flute
    Proficiency bonus: +2

Wisdom save: + 5 = + 2 [proficiency] + 3 [wisdom]
    Charisma save: + 1 = + 2 [proficiency] -1 [charisma]

Feat(s): Polearm Master - Can make a haft attack for 1d4 damage when wielding a glaive, halberd, or quarterstaff. Can make an attack of opportunity on a target that enters your reach.

Skills (trained): Athletics (+5) Insight (+5) Medicine (+5) Perception (+5) Stealth (+0)(-2 with chain mail) Survival (+5)

Insight (passive): 15 (17 with advantage)
    Perception (passive): 15 (17 with advantage)

Attack and Defense
    Armor Class: 17 = 10 + 6 [chain mail] + 1 [wooden shield]
    Initiative modifier: + 0 = + 0 [dexterity]

Unarmed strike [+5 to hit; 1 bludgeoning]
    Warhammer [+5 to hit; 1d8+3 bludgeoning]
    Quarterstaff [+5 to hit; 1d6+3 bludgeoning, versatile (1d8+3)]
    Quarterstaff (Polearm Master) [+5 to hit; 1d4+3 bludgeoning, two handed]

Cleric features:

Cleric spells (Wis/DC:13/+5 SAB):

Cantrip(s): Guidance, Light, Sacred Flame
    1st Level (2 spell slots): Fog Cloud, Thunderwave, Bless, Detect Magic, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word

Ritual caster

Divine Domain: Tempest Domain

Wrath of the Storm: When a creature within 5 ft. of you that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to cause the creature to make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d8 lightning or thunder damage (your choice) on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one. You can use this feature Wisdom modifier (3) times per long rest.

Equipment:

Quarterstaff, Warhammer, Chain mail, Wooden Shield, Holy Symbol (carved into shield), Crossbow bolts (quiver of 20) x1, Backpack, Bedroll, Crowbar, Mess kit, Rations (1 day) x10, Rope (50', hempen) x1, Tinderbox, Torches x10, Waterskin, Flute, a staff, a hunting trap, a set of traveler's clothes, and a belt pouch with 10g

Background:
    Personality Traits: Civilization failed me; with my second chance, I won't fail it.
    Ideal(s): I need to fill the world with the kindness and caring it naturally lacks.
    Bond(s): Nature itself is my savior, my ally in all things, and my friend first and foremost.
    Flaw(s): I had to hurt a lot of people in my past; there might be trouble if I run into any of them again.

More about Ossory:

I didn't steal because I was greedy; I was just hungry. I didn't lie to get ahead; I was just cold and wanted a bed. I didn't fight because I wanted to hurt people; if I didn't show off how tough I was, I would've ended up the next victim. Ossory was a dumb brute from the worst part of town, the kind of place kids have no chance to grow up. Burglary, mugging, protection, enforcement: he did anything he could to find a few coppers for his next meal. Worst of all, he hated himself through it all, since the people he took advantage of never did anything wrong, and didn't deserve to meet a monster like Ossory.

One stormy night after drowning himself in cheap liquor so he could forget how much he hated himself, Ossory decided to drown himself for real. Stumbling outside the city limits, he wandered all night until he came upon a waterfall, the rapids swelled with rainwater. Before jumping from the clifftop, Ossory screamed out to heavens his apologies for daring to exist in the first place. "The world would be better without a dumb beast like me!" Heaven, however, was listening, and before he could jump, he was struck by lightning, and fell unconscious.

While unconscious, Ossory could hear a voice, urging him not to give up. "You've struggled to get this far; perhaps with a little help, you might help others so that they might not suffer like you have."

Upon waking, Ossory found himself at the bottom of the waterfall, alive and unharmed. Awestruck in the face of the miracle, he was filled with purpose. After spending years communing with nature and living off the land, he found himself armed with divine power from the nameless deity that spoke to him, and the will to pay forward the beneficence he was shown by that deity. He now wanders both city and countryside, enabling people to live good, honest lives when their environment otherwise would lead them astray.

silence1186 on
    Goumindong wrote: »
    A quarterstaff isn't or shouldn't be a one handed weapon. The bonus attack from polearm master does not appear to do bonus stat damage. Though it's not such a concession if it does. Either way the shillelagh text does not override the polearm bonus attack text.

I will split the difference. You may, with polearm master do one attack for 1d8+wis and one for 1d4+wis. Both would use your wisdom mod for attack. You may use a shield with a quarterstaff but may only use the polearm mastery bonus attack if you are wielding the weapon 2-handed.

It's like "I am a monk with polearm mastery and dual wield mastery" I attack with a quarterstaff, bonus off hand attack with quarterstaff (or other monk weapon), bonus unarmed attack due to monk weapon and bonus polearm attack due to polearm mastery which i can do due to the order of which I do them in. I attack 4 times/round at level 4 and 3 times at level 1 and 5 times at level 5/6 and it all does unarmed damage die damage! Flurry for two more! Yea totally not allowing that interaction either.

That's fair. I think I'll probably retool the cleric a little in light of this. I had been working with the understanding that Polearm Master does do bonus stat damage (Normally 1d4+Str). As far as I know only Two Weapon Fighting specifically disallows adding your relevant ability modifier to damage rolls made with the offhand bonus attack. Monk bonus attacks, for example, do 1d(Monk Weapon)+Dex, I believe.

I don't think you can do a Polearm Master bonus attack and a Monk bonus attack, since bonus actions don't stack as far as I know. You have to pick one bonus action from an array of choices, most of which happen to be "attack an additional time."

Works for me. Do you know anything about Eberron? Have any idea what city you want to be from? Sharn seems the most natural to me (since it has prominent waterfalls) but many others work just fine.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2015
    Works for me. Do you know anything about Eberron? Have any idea what city you want to be from? Sharn seems the most natural to me (since it has prominent waterfalls) but many others work just fine.

I have absolutely no knowledge of Eberron (or any of the DnD realms, really). The character concept I was going for is "grew up in slums, never had a chance, environment forced me to be a person I hated, had life changing moment on waterfall, travels around helping those who don't have a chance." If Sharn has waterfalls (and slums), that seems to be as fair a place as any to be from, though the character doesn't necessarily live there anymore, since he's turned into a wanderer.

E: I retooled it from Nature to Tempest to give more prominence to the lightning strike that changed his life, and I changed it from Criminal to Outlander to emphasize that his time in the wilderness, not as a criminal, shaped the person he is now. The relevant math should also be fixed.

silence1186 on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I'm a bit interested, and am more or less in the same boat as Silence regarding Eberron knowledge. I might not be a good fit, though, as I'm in EST, and my Saturdays are usually taken up with some breed of in-person gaming, so if we had a timezone spread I'd be more or less limited to Sundays. Weekdays are open except Tuesday and Thursday. Is that too limiting?

Does Roll20 require a microphone/webcam?

Anyway, I'll throw together a character if you think the time limits wouldn't be too bad. I'll happily sit at the end of the list, though, since I'm already in belligerent's PBP.

If roll20 doesn't require a mic I will require one. Talking is so much faster than typing. It's essential to running a game fast. I will go over a bit of Eberron later tonight. But it will be from memory. It's not hard to find the 3.5 materials if you know where to look.

wbBv3fj.png

That's fair. I think I'll probably retool the cleric a little in light of this. I had been working with the understanding that Polearm Master does do bonus stat damage (Normally 1d4+Str). As far as I know only Two Weapon Fighting specifically disallows adding your relevant ability modifier to damage rolls made with the offhand bonus attack. Monk bonus attacks, for example, do 1d(Monk Weapon)+Dex, I believe.

I don't think you can do a Polearm Master bonus attack and a Monk bonus attack, since bonus actions don't stack as far as I know. You have to pick one bonus action from an array of choices, most of which happen to be "attack an additional time."

My reading of the rule was that bonus actions are unrestricted. That might be incorrect.

I am thinking of modifying quarterstaffs. But if I do it will probably increase their power rather than decrease.

wbBv3fj.png
    If you're new to Eberron there is an Eberron wiki. It's hard to navigate and contains info from sources that I am not considering canon. But it's close enough to get the general gist. Anything that seems secret probably is. Anything that is in history may or may not be the whole of absolute truth.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2015

My reading of the rule was that bonus actions are unrestricted. That might be incorrect.

I am thinking of modifying quarterstaffs. But if I do it will probably increase their power rather than decrease.

I am at work so I don't have my books for the cite, but you can only take 1 bonus action a turn. An illustrative example would be either a Monk or a Rogue.

When a Monk takes the Attack action, due to Martial arts he or she can make an unarmed attack as a Bonus action, for a total of 2 attacks. When a Monk takes the Attack action he or she also has the option to spend a Ki point on Flurry of blows, allowing him or her to make two unarmed attacks as Bonus action, for a total of 3 attacks. You can't do both, since both are competing for the same Bonus Action.

A Rogue dual wielding has the option every turn of taking a Cunning Action to Dash, Disengage, or Hide as a bonus action, or making an off-hand attack as a bonus action when he takes the Attack action with his main hand. He can't attack twice AND Disengage, since to do either you use the once a turn resource "the bonus action."

E: Which is not to say you can't make them stack if you want them to. It's your campaign, and there is always a tacit "whatever you think works best for your world". All I can recall is the PHB as I know it, but I recognize this edition's book is both subject to interpretation and modification based on past experiences with D&D.

silence1186 on
    No, it makes sense. It just limits a lot of combinations which are almost clearly intended. For instance you could not draw a weapon and attack with two weapons even if you had the other weapon in your hand. A rogue similarly could not take their bonus disengage and twf even though twf is contained in the attack action and has no connection to their other bonus action(which is "not"). A fighter could not twf and second wind or twf and action surge or perform many other actions which his class requires.

I will get a look at my books tonight and figure out what to do with quarterstafs and bonus actions.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2015
    OK so looking back at the rule books it looks like bonus actions are 1/turn which I am totally ok with.

I will be making some modifications to weapons

Greatclub is 1d8: two handed, heavy
    Quarterstaff is 1d6: Two handed, Reach

So you can use a club with shillelagh for 1d8 + wis one handed with a shield. You can use a Quarterstaff for 1d8+wis reach. You can use polearm master with a quarterstaff for 1d8+wis reach + 1d4+wis normal(not sure if its reach or not but should not matter much)

Something I forgot to mention because i totally forgot about them. But tieflings are not 3.5 core and aren't actually mentioned in the ECS once. I will totally allow using the racial abilities, and will totally allow some sort of demonic heritage (which you probably shouldn't know about) but might want to fluff as an elf, human, half-orc, orc, mix etc. Basically a "passable for human Tiefling"

Anyway some background information for people who don't want to "acquire" the ECS.

Main Continent: Khorvaire

Consists of

5 Human Nations: Breeland(Fantasy England); Thrane (Silver Flame Zealots), Karrnath (semi-intelligent Zombie armies), Aundair(also Fantasy France), Cyre(Fantasy pre fascist and/or moorish Spain: Also EXPLODED, now Mournland). 4 Remaining mainly bicker/politic among themselves. Just finished big war.

Lightning Rail(trains) connects major cities in all 5 nations(minus mournland). Important portions of breeland are sharn (city of towers, home to Morgrave University, other stuffs). Aundair has the arcane congress which is basically a wizard think tank. Karrnath is kind of bare for political importance besides being set up as kind of fascist. Thrane has the seat of the Silver Flame which is the fantasy inquisition/holy roman empire

1 Gnomish Nation: Zilargo. Pretty basic non-comedy gnomes. Great Library at Korranburg is here.

1 Dwarvish Nation: Mror Holds. Pretty basic dwarves

1 Monster Nation: Doraam ruled by 3 hags (unknown ideals)

1 Goblin Nation: Darguun (Wants to regain the glory of the old empire which stretched the entire continent but fell 6000 years ago). Slave markets and tribes trying to define their nation and set order to the chaos

1 Halfling Nation: Talenta Plains (Dinosaur Riding Halflings)

1 Elven Nation: Valenar (colony of off continent elven nation)

1 Druid Nation: Eldeen Reaches. Ruled by a 5000 year old pine tree. Druids protect world from aberrations. Order started by the orcs. Mainly an adventuring spot. Has human cities but they're more colonies that accept gatekeeper rule.

1 Orc area: The shadow Marches. Orc Tribes -> Think pre-US eastern america. Orcs have implicit "Protect world from demons" thing going on. tribes are semi-autonomous.

3 explicit adventuring places(not that stuff can't happen elsewhere). Lhazar Principalities(Pirates!), Q'Barra(Lizard Folk and jungles), the demon wastes (self explanatory, was site of old war between Darguun and ), Mournland (was cyre, mainly warforged here)

All nations have mixes of all the races usually with roughly 40-60% of the population being the "main population".

The 5 human nations just ended the "last war" two years ago. The last war if fantasy WWI that lasted for 100 freaking years. Breeland made warforged. First "industrialized magic war" of the modern era. No one things war will happen again due to the devastation it caused. Ended when the entire nation of cyre exploded.

Other continents:

Arenal: Where the elves come from and where their undying court is. Elves worship their zombie ancestors.

Argonesson: Dragons be here doing dragon things

Frostfell: Mountainous North Pole. Dwarves came from here, don't live there anymore. Only one expedition has gone there and returned.

Sarlona: Khalistar come from here. Largely a mystery place due to crazy psychics who dominate the region. You've heard tales of the subjugation and slavery here but not much concrete.

Xendrik: Used to be where the giants had their great civilization long before even the goblins. Now jungle and ruins. very large ruins(ever seen a giant city. good lord they are big). Drow are here, the remnants of the enslaved elves who did NOT leave the continent after the giants civ fell. They're largely barbarians. Has some colonists. This area is like "the dark heart of africa" circa the great explorers era. The colonial aspects aren't quite analogous because there isn't competition for land and the drow are not integrated into society/enslaved.

Underneath it all: Khyber - underdark equivalent. Demons and Aberrations be here.

Overall you should see a clear "great era of exploration and industrialization" vibe going on. Lots of dark spots on the map with the central area increasingly being connected and cosmopolitan, but reeling from the effects of how that connection disrupts the entrenched political structures and allows those who are opportunistic to make plays they might otherwise not be able to. The great dragomarked houses are like the early corporate/family/feudal interests trying to stake their claim on the industry of the new era(and having the wealth and power to succeed). There are 12 dragonmarked houses with 1 having been destroyed (Mark of Death) for a total of 13

Religion in Eberron is kind of like Religion in pre-catholic rome. There is a good pantheon of 9 deities, a bad pantheon of 6 deities. And then there is the silver flame which is a new amorphous deity all about purity, the undying host of the elves, some stuff you don't know about and various cults to the lich queen Vol and whatever is in Khyber(who are sometimes tolerated but not really large or influential)

The Sovereign Host consists of gods for

Agriculture
    Law and Knowledge
    Beasts and the Hunt
    Community and Hearth
    Honor and Sacrifice
    Strength of Arms
    Trade and Wealth
    Feast and Good Fortune
    Artifice and the Forge

and is in conflict with

The Dark Six which consists of

The Devourer
    The Fury
    The Keeper
    The Mockery
    The Shadow
    The Traveler

The Sovereign host and Dark six "work in mysterious ways" and are pretty close in description/myth to the old roman/greek gods. People have faith but no one really knows like in some settings where the gods are real observable physical presences. Clerics certainly still have power of course.

The silver flame has its silver flame, but no one has any real tangible connection to what we might call a "God" in the traditional DnD sense.

here is a super detailed map

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090819121531/eberron/images/f/f4/D%26D_-_4th_Edition_-_Eberron_Map_Khorvaire.jpg

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    That is really cool. I'll poke around the Eberron wiki a bit.

• lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    I have a concept in mind but I just wanted to run something by you first before I start fleshing out the details. Would you be opposed to a follower of The Blood of Vol? They would have no idea of the religions darker paths, and finds any accusations of the faith as simple fear and misunderstanding. The person would just be a firm believer in "Don't put your faith in the gods, as they have no reason to care for you. If you want to improve your life work for it."

They would keep their faith as a more personal matter, and instead would just try to motivate people to do better in their lives. As for the whole divinity within our blood thing, they would follow that in a far more metaphorical sense as opposed to literal.

I have no problem with a follower of the blood of Vol

wbBv3fj.png
    If you want, you can copy this template and send me your sheet in evernote(and make a copy for yourself).

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s524/sh/97161c08-adf4-4053-ba68-63975581f4ae/c23ad0db57017942b8e9a63378cf6e4e

wbBv3fj.png
    @lodwilk‌ @silence1186‌ @‌torrendos @PACherrn‌ @Mongrel Idiot

Little update since its been over a week since i've last talked about this. Currently I have written the first session and just have to prep it. We can begin as soon as we get everyone ready and get a time etc.

I have received one character sheet from Mongrel(Rogue) and one from Silence(Cleric). I am onboard for the other ideas i have received. Since there are only 5 people who have expressed interest, if you give me a sheet and we can make a time you will definitely be able to play. Otherwise i will have to grab players from outside PA.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2015
    Rad. Should we post our preferred meeting times here, or by PM? Also, my character sheet is in the spoiler, if any of the other players want a look.
    Quist
    Race: Human
    Background: Sage
    Class: Rogue 1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Vitals: Male, 5'8", 175 lbs, black hair, hazel eyes, thin beard
    Home: The city of Lathleer, in Aundair
    Personality Traits: Mind a mile wide and an inch deep. Will move heaven and earth to help a friend, if said friend keeps reminding him to do it.
    Ideals: Embrace the now.
    Bonds: Knowledge generally, and the Library of Lo specifically
    Flaws: Leaps into bad plans on limited information

STR 10 (+0) (Save +0)
    DEX 14 (+2) (Save +4)
    CON 12 (+1) (Save +1)
    INT 14 (+2) (Save +4)
    WIS 10 (+0) (Save +0)
    CHA 15 (+2) (Save +2)

HP: 9/9
    HD: 1d8
    AC: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 Studded Leather)

Init: +2

Languages: Common, Elven (High-form grammar, low-form vocabulary), Draconic (Scholarly), Dwarvish (Trader form), Goblin (Archaic, scholarly), Deep Speech, Celestial, Thieve's Cant

Attacks
    Dagger (2) +4 to hit, 1d4+2 piercing. Finesse, light, thrown (20/60)
    Short Sword (2) +4 to hit, 1d6+2 piercing. Finesse, light

Feats & Abilities
    Linguist (modified Sage feature): You know three extra languages and can create ciphers (Goum let me swap out the Sage's background feature for the Linguist feat without the ability increase.)
    Healer (Human feat): When stabilizing a dying creature using a healing kit, heal 1 hp. When healing using a healing kit, heal 1d6+4+max HD of target.
    Sneak Attack (Rogue): +1d6

Trained Skills
    Arcana +4
    Deception +4
    History +4
    Investigation +4
    Persuasion +6
    Sleight of Hand +6
    Stealth +4

Gear
    Dagger (2) (2 lb)
    Short sword (2) (4 lb)
    Studded Leathers (13 lb)
    Backpack (5 lb)
    Ball bearings (2 lb)
    Bell (0 lb)
    Candle (5) (0 lb)
    Crowbar (5 lb)
    Hammer (3 lb)
    Hooded lantern (2 lb)
    Oil flask (2) (2 lb)
    Piton (12) (3 lb)
    Day's rations (5) (10 lb)
    Hemp Rope (50 ft) (10 lb)
    String (10 ft) (0 lb)
    Waterskin (5 lb)
    Healer's Kit (10 uses) (3 lb)
    Thieve's Tools (1 lb)

Total: 70 lb/150 lb maximum

Backstory: Once he had a few days and pints under him, Quist had to admit that his expulsion from the Library of Lo was probably for the best. They'd forgiven his reckless disregard for the rules and decorum of the place; they'd forgiven his inability to focus on one topic long enough to learn it with any depth or completeness; they'd even forgiven his sneaking over the walls at night, though his hungover belligerence the next days had sorely tried their patience. But they couldn't forgive the lost books. He'd brought home armloads of scrolls and tomes over his novicehood, all of it ostensibly bought and paid for through his meager wages and from doing odd jobs around the city, and donated them to the library. The city watchmen, however, told a different story when they turned up to recover virtually everything Quist had brought home, a story of a novice striking bad deals with drunken traders, seducing women to get at rare scrolls, and brazenly climbing in second-floor windows to take what he wanted. For all that, the elders hadn't been angry as they expelled him. He was, after all, a good fellow, mostly, and he'd done it all for the good of the library. They were probably angry when they discovered the missing books, though. No big deal; he'd been sure to take things that weren't rare or valuable, and that they had other copies of. He wasn't a monster.

Now on his own, with a little money, a head full of scraps and pieces of lore, and not much else to keep him busy, Quist looks for some grand caper to keep him occupied. Someday, he'd vaguely like to return to the library in triumph atop a wagonload of rare books and dusty scrolls. After another bottle, perhaps, and a look at the mountains to the north. And perhaps a trip across the sea. And...

Mongrel Idiot on
    edited January 2015
    The critical point is going to be the scheduling, I think.

E: Is there anything you need to learn to use roll20, or is it self explanatory?

silence1186 on
    Let me know your availability here. roll 20 is pretty self explanatory

wbBv3fj.png
    Attempt 1: Monday after 7PM EST, Wednesday after 10PM EST, Thursday after 7PM EST.

edited January 2015
    All EST:
    Monday: After 8:00
    Tuesday: After 5:00
    Wednesday: After 8:00
    Thursday: Unavailable
    Friday: After 5:00
    Saturday: Varies; usually we're in-person gaming, so it'd be pretty late if I'm available.
    Sunday: Available all day.

Edit: Just realized I wrote "all EST" as if on certain days I would be in a different timezone, which would be unusual, to say the least!

Mongrel Idiot on
    I shall sit this one out, despite my love for Eberron. Being on CET, I think I will have a hard time making some of the roll20 events :( Good luck with it all though! I shall be following it with great interest :)

• lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Sorry work has recently eaten up a large chunk of my time. I can send you a character by tomorrow the latest.

As for my availability, Monday-Thursday as well as Saturday after 7pm, Fridays after 8:30 pm, Sundays after 5pm

edit: Forgot to add that those are EST.

lodwilk on
    So I will have a few more players possibly submitting next Tuesday. I am thinking that if that works out we would play Monday at 8 est 5 pst the week following since that appears to work for everyone here

So things are still moving, just slowly.

wbBv3fj.png
    Tentatively penciling this in. For how long do you anticipate running the session/sessions on average?