As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Ours is the Light that illuminates the Dark Below! Hard Mode Crota's End awaits!

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Darkyth wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    I really hope they add something else/more between March and September because I don't think I can keep up that grind for more than a month or two. Not that there's anything wrong with taking a break from the game until new content comes out, but it's telling that after just about a month since the TDB my interest in playing nightly is starting to wane.

Don't worry, Bloodborne and Witcher 3 will be coming out between March and September. :)

Wep, espicially Witcher 3 for me but then, I have to actually start and finish Dragon age. Thanks god they delayed Witcher 3 just to let me enough time to finish Dragon Age.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Last night I witnessed the cheese strategy to bypass pretty much all of the difficulty in the first section of the raid.
    It was absurd.

I suppose I could get mad at Bungie for not testing around that case or not putting in better spawning volumes or some such. But at a certain point you just can't replicate millions of people banging on the product looking for the best way to skip the challenge.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Yeah, fuck this nightfall.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    It's actually not that bad. I mean, solo through to Valus is easy enough. The worst parts were anything involving Psions, but that's because I left my Epilogue on my other character. It took foreeeeeeeeeeeever to do Valus, though.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    It's actually not that bad. I mean, solo through to Valus is easy enough. The worst parts were anything involving Psions, but that's because I left my Epilogue on my other character. It took foreeeeeeeeeeeever to do Valus, though.

Yeah I did it this morning with bradcopter and a friend of his and it wasn't some insurmountable skullfort ordeal

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It's not as easy as last week's nightfall, but it wasn't god awful or anything. It's really just the last bit with Valus that's a slog.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I liked it when it was arc burn even less. Fuckin psions.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    okay

i have ten days off work right around march 10

i think i can deal with that

also fuck the nightfall this week unless xur has some amazing shit friday

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man, it seems like we'll get another Vex and Hive raid before a Cabal one (if at all)

Seems odd to me.

• Options
    Man, it seems like we'll get another Vex and Hive raid before a Cabal one (if at all)

Seems odd to me.

Forge of the Gods sounds Cabal-ish to me

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Oh, it's not a difficult nightfall, it's a boring and time intensive nightfall. It's absolutely the worst strike possible.

• Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Crayon wrote: »
    Oh, it's not a difficult nightfall, it's a boring and time intensive nightfall. It's absolutely the worst strike possible.

Honestly to me it's mostly a time investment vs. reward type of thing. It's a bit tedious and not really fun. The rewards are either things I don't need and XP/Rep bonus I don't need. I (likely we) chewed through the content of this DLC rather rapidly. The hard mode needs to get here pronto.

Celian on
    PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    Celian wrote: »

Honestly to me it's mostly a time investment vs. reward type of thing. It's a bit tedious and not really fun. The rewards are either things I don't need and XP/Rep bonus I don't need. I (likely we) chewed through the content of this DLC rather rapidly. The hard mode needs to get here pronto.

I agree, but I'd prefer a delayed release and no encounter-breaking bugs over an early release with extra cheese.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    Erevar wrote: »
    Celian wrote: »

I agree, but I'd prefer a delayed release and no encounter-breaking bugs over an early release with extra cheese.

Oooh I'm with you there and we all know it's the reason why it's not unlocked this week!

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options

Seems odd to me.

Yeah, and we get Hive raid #2 and Vex raid #2 before that.

• Options

Seems odd to me.

I don't mind - the Cabal seem to be the most in need of a larger story justification to be targets of a 'raid' than the Vex who are writing themselves into time itself or the Hive that literally can create their own dimensions.

• Options

Seems odd to me.

I don't mind - the Cabal seem to be the most in need of a larger story justification to be targets of a 'raid' than the Vex who are writing themselves into time itself or the Hive that literally can create their own dimensions.

While I'm sure the plans might / will change from that image. Notice how Mars is listed on the September DLC. There isn't any Hive there and really, they would almost feel out of place there. Maybe the Cabal are trying to weaponize the Hive? They boarded a Hive ship and there is some sort of freaky-deaky mechano-Hives.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Destiny enemy faction rankings:

1. Vex. Vex win points for having the coolest fluff. Evil robots trying to rewrite reality? yes plz. They lose points because minotaurs are the least fun enemy to fight. Otherwise Vex are pretty fun to fight.
    2. Cabal. Cabal win points because they are probably the most fun to fight. They also have the best strike. They lose points for angry phalanxes.
    3. Fallen. Fallen are kinda the vanilla faction but they are also the most varied and probably the most fun overall to fight in that they have no units that make me want to end my life.
    4. Hive. Hive are kinda lame. Dark Dark Dark. Dark. Darkness. Shadow Badow bo Badow.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    actually when I think about it from a gameplay perspective Fallen are easily the best faction.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Seems odd to me.

The Cabal feel like the "Oh, we need some slightly different enemies" faction. Like, I have zero idea why they showed up, took Mars and apparently decided to have a picnic there while not fucking with the rest of the system. We blow moons up for getting in our way but we really only like red so we'll leave all those other planets alone. Aside from some mild interest in Rasputin, when he kicks down their door and starts fucking with them, they pretty much don't do anything but fight the Vex. Who they fight....for shits and giggles?

Like, what we see of them they're just dudes and if they like blowing up moons....I don't see why they'd let the Hive have a moon in the system instead of blowing it the fuck up.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Have the Cabal actually ever blown anything up? I wonder how we'd even know that since humanity never made it out of the solar system.

• Options
    The Cabal are actually fleeing something else I believe. Its in the Grimoire cards I believe (yet another reason for them to be IN the game)

• Options

Seems odd to me.

The Cabal feel like the "Oh, we need some slightly different enemies" faction. Like, I have zero idea why they showed up, took Mars and apparently decided to have a picnic there while not fucking with the rest of the system. We blow moons up for getting in our way but we really only like red so we'll leave all those other planets alone. Aside from some mild interest in Rasputin, when he kicks down their door and starts fucking with them, they pretty much don't do anything but fight the Vex. Who they fight....for shits and giggles?

Like, what we see of them they're just dudes and if they like blowing up moons....I don't see why they'd let the Hive have a moon in the system instead of blowing it the fuck up.

While I'm hoping we get some details / Eris type story around the Cabal, here is some Grimoire snippets.
    There is a vast Empire behind these creatures, many star systems away. Some pledge allegiance to that far Empire, obeying their ancient marching orders. Some do not.

So Mars is likely a foothold they are trying to establish here. Their main force is in a different star systems. It might explain why their fortified on Mars. They might not have the resources to spread out and attack yet.
    I suspect they are fleeing from something. That within their hard shells and thousand-folded shields is a sharp seed of terror. But of what? Does something follow them? Should we fear it too?

So maybe that empire was attacked too? What attacked them? Who knows!

Also, all of this is brought to you by a ghost that made me kinda sad reading the cards...
    I have stayed with the Cabal, even as the Light in me dims - I have been too far from the Traveler for too long. If I am not destined to find my own Guardian, at least I can inform the City of what I've learned.

Oh how I wish I could've been your guardian little ghost. :cry:

• Options
    Which all sounds sorta reasonable but with the way time is handled in Destiny makes it feel all fuzzy. The Fall was centuries ago, we've not had Mars for that long so why they're having such a hard time moving on is weird. Remember, the Vex getting all handsey with Mars is supposed to be a recent thing to the point where one of like four Mars missions is "Where did they come from all of a sudden?"

This is all reminding me that thinking too hard about the ideas in Destiny show that there was definitely something there but they did their best to jumble it all up and remove any obvious bits.

• Options
    But that makes you wonder how long they've been on Mars. We don't know what was part of the collapse? We don't really know what enemies caused it. Was it the Vex, the Cabal or the Fallen? The Hive only? Like, are all these things simply a result of the Collapse or are they actually part of the Darkness? Are they all simply like us, trying to survive in a world made mad?

• Options
    We know the Vex at least were. From what I remember shutting down/radically slowing the Vex on Venus is what caused the Traveler to go inactive.

I guess the Cabal could have shown up recently but why the fuck we've lost Mars for so long doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense then.

• Options
    Either the Defender Titan in clash is a seldom seen sight, or people just dont understand exactly what the Saint-14 helmet does.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Either the Defender Titan in clash is a seldom seen sight, or people just dont understand exactly what the Saint-14 helmet does.

I'm sure a bunch of people got the game for Christmas as well, so there's likely new blood?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I bet the collapse is related to a completely different enemy.

Probably literal darkness that is vulnerable to bullets.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Sooo....whats the point of a lot of the reputations?

Someone posted a screen a few days ago of almost having the Cryptarch at 22. What does that even do? I think I only have him at 2 but I see no discernable difference aside from when I was zero there were a few things I couldn't buy, now there is nothing I can't buy but it's always just the white things that as far as I can tell are useless.

I guess the vanguard rep gives you commendations as you rep up? So...I assume the other ones are the same; is that it? What about Eris or whatever her name is?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited January 2015
    We know the Vex at least were. From what I remember shutting down/radically slowing the Vex on Venus is what caused the Traveler to go inactive.

I guess the Cabal could have shown up recently but why the fuck we've lost Mars for so long doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense then.

Well for the longest time Guardians were tasked with defending the City while staying behind its walls and making sure the areas around it were safe. One day, a newly ressurected guardian discovered something called loot. This new discovery caused Guardians to go on a massive offensive to acquire as many of those loots as possible. Finally, we're taking back what we've lost, as long as it's not too hard and gives loots.

Celian on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Sooo....whats the point of a lot of the reputations?

Someone posted a screen a few days ago of almost having the Cryptarch at 22. What does that even do? I think I only have him at 2 but I see no discernable difference aside from when I was zero there were a few things I couldn't buy, now there is nothing I can't buy but it's always just the white things that as far as I can tell are useless.

I guess the vanguard rep gives you commendations as you rep up? So...I assume the other ones are the same; is that it? What about Eris or whatever her name is?

Vanguard Level: Commendations and gift packages after/starting with 3rd. Gifts are hit or miss but hits are purples usually. Opens up buying Vanguard armor with vanguard marks.

Crucible/Faction: Crucibile Commendations and gifts starting with 3rd. Gifts are hit or miss. Also opens up buying Faction gear with crucible marks.

Cryptarch: A couple perks for 1 or 2, like auto decrypting greens. Care packages after 2nd that are absolute crap ever since they "patched" to make them better. Haven't seen anything but a couple blue engrams ever since despite them making it take more points.

Eris: Unlocks new shaders/class items and 4 lets you exchange radiant shards/energy for each other.

Iron Banner: Unlocks gear to purchase. Emblems and class items increase IB rep gain.

Queen: HAHA HA HA HA. Like you'll ever see that again.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    Cobell wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

I'm sure a bunch of people got the game for Christmas as well, so there's likely new blood?

I can understand that. What I dont understand is why people repeatedly run into a bubble that blinds them. I got a ten kill streak from dudes just running into my bubble repeatedly like lemmings when I chained two bubbles together.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    SO what I have read regarding people datamining damage, it seems once you're the same level as the enemy it caps (like assuming maxed weapon attack, you do the same damage to a level 30 while you are 30 or 31). Is there value in being over leveled? Like, do you take less damage from 30 if you're 31?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    I think the Cabal would rank as my most dangerous enemies in Destiny.

The Fallen threweverything they had at the City durring Twilight Gap. It was bloodly but we won.

The Vex are the Dalaks of Destiny, in that they sound menacing but our plucky band of heroes have foiled their plots so many times I can't take them seriously.

We killed the Hive's god, for fun.

But the Cabal? They have one of Mars' moons pointed at us. They could trigger an extinction level event on Earth if they wanted. The new ice age it would cause might just be icing on the cake cause if they're good shots they could just squish us. And you know what's stopping them? Me either! I think they're just having fun before they roll the rest of the solar system.

• Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    SO what I have read regarding people datamining damage, it seems once you're the same level as the enemy it caps (like assuming maxed weapon attack, you do the same damage to a level 30 while you are 30 or 31). Is there value in being over leveled? Like, do you take less damage from 30 if you're 31?

Your level doesn't matter as long as you're equal to the mob. There is no damage bonus. You would take less damage because you have more armor.

Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    This Nightfall sounds horrible. Who's up for it right now? PSN: Aubvry

E: Actually going to start it off and see how far I get - join me if you have me on your friend list, or send me a friend request and I'll add you as soon as I can.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Reading through the thread and remembering everyone telling me how little story there is. All I know about the game so far is "You were dead, now you're a space wizard. Here's a gun, go kill those guys, take their things, and scan their computers."

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    sPider817 wrote: »
    Reading through the thread and remembering everyone telling me how little story there is. All I know about the game so far is "You were dead, now you're a space wizard. Here's a gun, go kill those guys, take their things, and scan their computers."

That's about what you get in the game. There is a bunch of cool shit on Bungie's site in the Grimoire but well, reading doesn't happen much when it's in the game....