As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    One of them had their flight delayed, so the run is being pushed until he finally gets in.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i'm only familiar with theclaude, who is the fft wr holder
    he runs dkc2 kind of on the side but he's had the wr for that in the past

his goal today will be to get super popular so the srl illuminati will let him run fft one day

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    this is my first time watching AGDQ

its real cool! Also zelda II looks miserable

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i respect a lot about zelda 2, in that it's a completely batshit sequel the likes of which we don't see

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    What is the Save the Animals/Kill the Animals on donations referring to?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

In Super Metroid, during the final escape there is a chance to save some friendly aliens called "the animals" by fans. Speedrunners usually skip them, but usually at events like this there is a vote for saving or not saving (i.e. killing) the animals.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    My favourite part of AGDQ is all the VODs put up afterwards

Viewing material for months

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i respect a lot about zelda 2, in that it's a completely batshit sequel the likes of which we don't see

Zelda 2 has some serious problems but in addition to being a risky and experimental game it also has a ton of (middlingly executed) forward thinking design elements

It's basically dark souls for the nes

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    this is just so relaxing

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Dang, too bad about that glitch run

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've replaced the "what runs will be good?" section with a "runs that were good" list for those of you who have been busy. Note that not everything has a link to its specific spot in the Twitch VOD, but I'll try to add them as we get them.

Note that I'm aware some YouTube channels are very quickly uploading runs, but a lot of these are just trying to make a quick buck off the marathon. I know it's not a ton of money, but it's still a scummy thing to do so try to avoid linking to those.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the official youtube channel is that same as last year, right?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

In Super Metroid, during the final escape there is a chance to save some friendly aliens called "the animals" by fans. Speedrunners usually skip them, but usually at events like this there is a vote for saving or not saving (i.e. killing) the animals.

Huh, I'm glad I looked it up because it's actually pretty different from what I thought was involved:

"To slightly alter the ending of the game, it is possible to rescue the Dachola and Etecoons just before escaping the planet. On your way out during the final escape sequence, take a short detour in Crateria and go back to the room where you fought the first Torizo to obtain the Bombs near the beginning of the game. Here you'll find the Dachola and Etecoons trapped. Simply shoot the wall on the right and a passage will open up, through which the creatures will escape (Samus, however, cannot). Then get back to Samus' ship. Now, when the ending sequence shows Samus' ship escaping from the planet's explosion, keep an eye on the right half of the screen, and you'll see a tiny speck of light speeding away from the planet, letting you know your friends made it off safely." -a metroid wiki

What I thought was involved was just doing the animals' wall jump training sequence earlier in the game, I didn't know there was a secret thing like that during the ending sequence.

Anyway the reason it's important to save them is that in Metroid Fusion you meet those same animals again and they help you to escape at the end of the game. So it's canon that they survive.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    That DKC2 stuff was GREAT

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    The Betman wrote: »
    That DKC2 stuff was GREAT

poor krauser...

• Options
    this doesn't seem like an impressive speedrun but this guy's got MOXIE

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I like this guy a whole lot

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    This is way more fun for me than if he was pixel perfect but awkward on camera.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Isoldae wrote: »
    This is way more fun for me than if he was pixel perfect but awkward on camera.

100% agree

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    That run was a lot of fun to watch! Especially since I've seen Lost Levels run in person a few times and the runners, while talented, hardly talked.

• Options
    this isn't as amusing but I love the technical talk

• Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    This Mario 3 run is making me want to try this, I used play the shit out of this when a kid. I forgot just how much fun it is when you just run right through a level hitting every mark perfectly.

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    did I miss something or did they start the mario 3 speed run over?

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I could watch mitch smile pleasantly for a long time

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Isoldae wrote: »
    did I miss something or did they start the mario 3 speed run over?
    he's going for a glitch run

• Options
    HOLY SHIT

• Options
    hoooooooooooly shit that was incredible

• Options
    That was badass

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Professor FuzzlesProfessor Fuzzles Not a furry, just sayin' FuzztopiaRegistered User regular
    That was a thing of beauty.

• Options
    oh my god they discovered a new mario world item

• Options
    I am sure that dude just got a world record as they started the clock 20 seconds before they all started.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    holy shit, this Kaizo Mario run is some next level discipline

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I'm excited for the Silent Hill 2 speedrun. Horror game speedruns have historically been hilarious (especially AdamAK's Amnesia runs) in the way the speedrun strats completely subvert the horror by completely nullifying any danger.

Also just, you know, Silent Hill 2 is just great in general.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    man i really like wario land 4 and am totally bummed that i can only get it on a console

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    For some reason I kept automatically adding "2" to Silent Hill when looking at the schedule. Whoops.

Still excited though.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Holy shit that was amazing.

Even if you skip most of the SH run, make sure you check out the glitch about 51 minutes in.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    This battletoads arcade run is great

Almost worth waking up at 5:30 and not being able to go back to sleep

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Zelda II is legit a great game and one of my favorite NES games

its the Dark Souls of that era. Nothing is complete bullshit, every enemy type has a pattern to learn and overcome

the only parts that suck are the lives/checkpoint system and the fact that if you die without leveling you lose your xp

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
This discussion has been closed.