As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to Shake it (but not Bake it) on the cheap

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
So recently I've started going to the gym consistently (3 times a week). I've come to understand that you should probably eat some good protein right after you work out, but by the time I get home and have dinner, it's usually 45 minutes or more later. The coach at the gym recommended Protein shakes (over whey crisps, when I asked about them), but the ones at the gym are really expensive.

What I'm wondering is what is a good, relatively inexpensive and not-terrible-tasting source of protein that can easily be consumed right after a work out? Are there decent inexpensive shakes? Keep in mind I'm just as likely to poison myself as cook a proper meal in the kitchen.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Tin can of tuna fish and a fork doesn't take up too much space.

Edit: Don't eat more tuna outside workouts though, because mercury.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Broccoli.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    GNC makes a good tasting protein shake that actually has a decent amount of protein for the calories, GNC Total Lean Shake. They almost always have them in a buy 1 get one 50% off deal in different flavors. I like chocolate the best, you just shake em and chug.

So they are like $1.87 each if you have a membership.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I actually like the Atkins ones.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would say just stick to easy to make foods.

Eggs (scrambled/omlette too), chocolate milk.

Grab a grill pan from the store and grill up salmon or chicken. If it's chicken breast, an easy way to do this is to parboil it for about 10 minutes, then season and sear it on the preheated grill pan for a bit (might need anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending on how thick it is). Go shower while it's parboiling.

Salmon is also a nice one.

Cook up some random vegetables to eat with your meal.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You can get a pretty big jar of the stuff off amazon. For like 45 $.

It'll last you longer than you think. I like to get vanilla flavored ones and then blend them with frozen berries.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Your grocery store probably sells whole roasted chickens for relatively cheap. Mine has them for $6 ($5 at Costco) and I get a week's worth of meat off that bird.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    I do the same thing working out. Your pre-packaged, ready-to-drink shakes will probably be more expensive per drink than going with the whey protein keg-o-powder (2lb jug yields around 30 servings, give or take, for Optimum Nutrition's "Gold Standard" whey protein at about $30USD) that you add milk or water to. Use the cash you save for a couple blender bottles and off you go.

I keep a few of the bottles with powder measured out on my counter and have one as soon as I get home. Sometimes if I know traffic will be bad or I won't get to dinner right after the gym, I'll stick the bottle in my bag and snag a single-serve, fat-free milk at the convenience store to mix it up with and knock it down in the car. Just keep in mind these are supplements, not meal replacements.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I do the same thing working out. Your pre-packaged, ready-to-drink shakes will probably be more expensive per drink than going with the whey protein keg-o-powder (2lb jug yields around 30 servings, give or take, for Optimum Nutrition's "Gold Standard" whey protein at about $30USD) that you add milk or water to. Use the cash you save for a couple blender bottles and off you go.

I keep a few of the bottles with powder measured out on my counter and have one as soon as I get home. Sometimes if I know traffic will be bad or I won't get to dinner right after the gym, I'll stick the bottle in my bag and snag a single-serve, fat-free milk at the convenience store to mix it up with and knock it down in the car. Just keep in mind these are supplements, not meal replacements.

I'm still going to eat dinner when I get home, I just don't think I'm intaking enough protein after my work outs.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    You only need 10 to 20 grams of protein after a workout to promote muscle repair and synthesis, if your doing a lot of muscle focused workouts. Like Bowen said, a good chocolate milk is often a good recommendation too. Unless your an elite athlete your probably getting enough protein with a normal healthy diet.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    If your trainer is recommending you down a post-workout protein shake a half or an hour before a large meal then I think he's trying to sell you protein shakes. You don't need it. If training at a high level what you'd need is carbs post workout as that is what has been depleted. You'll know if you need that if post-workout but before dinner you feel like butt. That said, hard boiled eggs are easy to make in bulk, will last at least a week in the fridge, and are portable.

Djeet on
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Tuna and boiled eggs work for me.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I'm going to second the "grab a shaker bottle and some protein powder" recommendation of @wrong_button‌ . Toss the powder in a cup and use water from the gym when you're ready to drink it. If you dislike the taste, mixing with milk can make a huge difference (and gives you more nutrients), though it will cost you additional calories.

YMMV, but a liquid protein post work-out won't fill you up too bad. If you want to be hardcore, one of my gym friends brings cartons of egg whites to drink post work out, but I'll stick to chocolate, thank you very much.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A Double Quarter Pounder burger from Maccas. Add bacon for better flavour. Shitloads of protein, and cheap. Just watch your sodium.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Whey powder isn't really expensive. It comes in huge pots that are a bit expensive yes, but if you count the number of servings you get it usually adds up to less than 1$ per protein shake.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507