As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

San Antonio Restaurant/Dining Suggestions 2015

• TraithTraith Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    I know it's a chain and you're probably looking for something more "local" but there's a Fogo de Chao right across the street from the convention center... Can't go wrong with endless meats. I hear their salad bar is pretty solid too. I wouldn't know... because endless meats.

South 2015 Status: [✓] 3-Day Badges [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Time Off [ready] Liver

Attendee:
    Prime: '13
    South: '15
  • PineappleChuckPineappleChuck Registered User regular
    The restaurant would be new to us both, and their site's video sold me with the salad bar. Thanks! I'll run it by the lady.

• WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    A Brazilian steakhouse is indeed an experience not to be missed. A couple of other ideas: If you're looking for something traditionally romantic, I can recommend Biga on the Banks orThe Boiler House. If you're into more casual places with unique menus, try The Monterey or Cured. At all of the above you can get an appetizer, entrees for two, and a couple of drinks for around a hundred dollars, which is about what you'll spend at Fogo de Chao.

• CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    My wife and I's anniversary is on the 21st of January. Can anyone recommend a restaurant on the list (or not) that would be suitable for such an occasion? I'm not willing to spend $100 a plate, but I'm willing to pay well as long as I get what I pay for. We're staying close to the convention center, but will be driving our own car if there's a must-have place worth the drive.

Fogo de Chao is in the mall just a bit down the street. I haven't been to that location, but Hubby and I went to the one in Dallas and it was delicious. They walk around with skewers of freshly grilled meats and carve you off portions. The crispy polenta was amazing, cheese bread was gooey, the cold salad bar had a ton of things on it, and the desert (I had this ice cream/liquor combination) was soo good. And it was appropriately fancy. (We were celebrating my birthday.) Dinner is $50, lunch is $30. And it's all you can eat.

http://www.fogodechao.com/home/

**Edit because I forgot to say it was a buffet

CyberFey on
  • MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    Just wanted to add that Texas de Brazil is another Brazilian Steakhouse (same concept as Fogo de Chao) that is in the area. It's a slightly further walk from the convention center -- Fogo is like right across the street, Texas de Brazil is a couple blocks away. Still easily within walking distance (my husband walked there from the convention center for his birthday in the middle of July.) I have been to Texas de Brazil several times and it's very good. I have not been to Fogo, but have heard from several friends who have been to both that Texas de Brazil is better.

If you have transportation, there's a Melting Pot in San Antonio. Nowhere near downtown, unfortunately, and I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but we've enjoyed it the couple of times we've been there. The 4 course experience (cheese fondue, salad, entree fondue, chocolate fondue) runs around $35-50/person (before tax/tip/drinks) depending on what kind of meat/cooking style you get for the entree.

....There is a fantastic little German restaurant up in Boerne called Little Gretel, but that's going to be like an hour+ drive from downtown. >_> But their food is amazing. And Boerne could be a fun daytrip for your anniversary, if you don't mind the drive. http://littlegretel.com/

I could go on about restaurants that are not downtown since I don't live near downtown, but I think this thread is supposed to be mostly for what's near the convention center, so I'll stop. :) If anyone wants to know more about non-downtown area eateries, let me know.

• PineappleChuckPineappleChuck Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the advice, fellow PAXers! My wife is sold on Fogo, so that's where we're going. I'm gonna try to send flowers to the restaurant just to make it all the more special. @Maggiethecat suggested Little Gretel, we'll have to check that out on our way back to Oklahoma on Monday, thanks!

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Hey whats up y'all. I was in SA this weekend for the Wizard World Comic-Con, and ate lunch at a place called Charlie Wants a Burger. A lot of their stuff, like their pickles are made in the restraunt. I had a portabella gouda burger and it was awesome. It is just a short walk from the convention center.

Their website is charliewantsaburger.com

Marking this place as must go!

Also whats the best BBQ closest the convention center?

kube00 on
    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
    kube00 wrote: »

The closest decent BBQ to the convention center is County Line on the Riverwalk, but it's just good, not mind-blowing. If you've got a car or don't mind a five minute cab ride, I recommend The Granary. During the day they serve Texas-style BBQ that's crazy good, and for dinner they do a sort of international BBQ fusion. BBQ Peking duck, brisket ramen, that kind of thing. And they brew all their own beer. Lunch is reasonably priced ($10 or so for a two-meat plate), dinner is a little fancier, around $20 for an entree but well worth it.

• ShionShion Queen of the Whiteboard Markers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    As South edges ever closer and plans are coming together I'm realizing there are a lot of Mexican resturant within walking distance of the convention center.

Does anyone have suggestions on which to go to or which to avoid? Also, do you know if there are any close that serve puffy tacos? I did some googling and all those resturant seem further out.

Stay away from the Riverwalk. There are some good restaurants there, but no good Mexican places in my opinion. I highly recommend Rosario's and Cascabel, which are both within half a mile of the convention center.

As to Puffy Tacos, I think Rosario's has those, but it's not a specialty. The good puffy taco places are all on the south side, though they're well worth the trip.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Thanks for all the advice, fellow PAXers! My wife is sold on Fogo, so that's where we're going. I'm gonna try to send flowers to the restaurant just to make it all the more special. @Maggiethecat suggested Little Gretel, we'll have to check that out on our way back to Oklahoma on Monday, thanks!

Not to beat the dead horse, but I've personally been to Fogos in two different cities (Atlanta once and Kansas City multiple times) and have had uniformly wonderful experiences in both.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    There is not one downtown, but my family always hits up Chachos when we are in San Antonio. Take a group and order the Monster Kong Nachos!
    http://www.chachos.com/

• ChocorokoChocoroko ZU Video Editor Denton, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm going to assume eating at the convention itself will be pricey? I haven't been in SA a whole lot, and I'm dying to try out some places that I couldn't find elsewhere.

• MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    The convention center itself will have some food available (every time I've ever been there, it's usually snack-type stuff -- popcorn, nachos, pretzels, etc. There may be other vendors who sell more substantial food who I've just not seen/paid attention to.) but I can almost guarantee it'll be overpriced. I don't think I've ever bought anything from the convention center itself except maybe water or soda. But there is a food court right across Market Street with a large selection of mall-type food available.

Wickersham wrote: »

The closest decent BBQ to the convention center is County Line on the Riverwalk, but it's just good, not mind-blowing. If you've got a car or don't mind a five minute cab ride, I recommend The Granary. During the day they serve Texas-style BBQ that's crazy good, and for dinner they do a sort of international BBQ fusion. BBQ Peking duck, brisket ramen, that kind of thing. And they brew all their own beer. Lunch is reasonably priced ($10 or so for a two-meat plate), dinner is a little fancier, around $20 for an entree but well worth it.

Added this for places to eat!

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

• TechMansoorTechMansoor Registered User regular
    Texas is infamous for beef ribs right? Is anyone a bbq buff?

• OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    Texas BBQ is mostly about brisket but the beef ribs are usually tasty. Per Texas Monthly Magazine, these are the places in San Antonio that made their top 50. There are several places on the list that are near San Antonio as well. That part of the state is the heart of BBQ country.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/lists/granary-cue-and-brew
    http://www.texasmonthly.com/lists/two-bros-bbq-market

• GarcMattGarcMatt San AntonioRegistered User regular
    Rosarios is yummy if you like enchiladas and mexican food but you might have to search for parking a couple of blocks away because it gets full

• kyan22kyan22 Tucson,azRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how far it is but the last time I was in San Antonio we went to the tip top cafe and it was good

Anyone want to put together a map like they do at Prime showing places to eat that are close?

edited January 2015
    Anyone want to put together a map like they do at Prime showing places to eat that are close?

Slow day at work...project team on vacation...BOOM!

Flags show all notable purveyors of Food and Drink that are near the Con and aren't too expensive; the most distant place is a bit less than a mile from the convention center. This list is selective when it comes to quality; if demand exists for a map showing every McDonald's and every crappy dive bar, I'm happy to update it.

Wickersham on
  • xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    Whataburger is always my best friend, especially late at night since breakfast starts at 11pm (all hail the breakfast on a bun and Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit) but I think Whataburger and I will be closer then ever PAX weekend

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Tigre_RoaringTigre_Roaring Greater South Houston areaRegistered User regular
    Anybody know of good local taco stands A.K.A. "roach coaches" in San Anton?

Gonna be there all 3 days!

• jrmtz85jrmtz85 Registered User regular
    As someone who's lived in SA for 7+ years, I have a few recommendations for restaurants, but they're not in the downtown area.

- My favorite Mexican food place is "Soluna", which isn't that far from downtown (by Texas standards).
    - "La Tequilera del Patron" is very very authentic Mexican food (this from someone who lived in Mexico until he was 18) , though it is pretty far from downtown (up near 1604 and Blanco, so about a 25-30 minute drive from downtown).
    - "Costa Pacifica" is a Mexican seafood place near La Tequilera. Best seafood I've had in town, and best prices too.
    - For the night owls, "Taco Palenque" is a decent taco place open 24 hours and reasonably close (near Soluna).
    - "Smoke Shack" is a good BBQ place a little bit out of downtown (~2 miles up Broadway). I'd say pretty good compared to the Granary and definitely better priced. (Anything near the Granary area (called The Pearl) is very overpriced).

Lulus cafe is worth it too. they are 24/7 and on the edge of downtown. They have 3lb cinnamon rolls

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Tigre_RoaringTigre_Roaring Greater South Houston areaRegistered User regular
    Where is the biggest pizza at in San Antonio?

Gonna be there all 3 days!

Where is the biggest pizza at in San Antonio?

http://biglouspizza-satx.com/

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    jrmtz85 wrote: »
    As someone who's lived in SA for 7+ years, I have a few recommendations for restaurants, but they're not in the downtown area.

- My favorite Mexican food place is "Soluna", which isn't that far from downtown (by Texas standards).
    - "La Tequilera del Patron" is very very authentic Mexican food (this from someone who lived in Mexico until he was 18) , though it is pretty far from downtown (up near 1604 and Blanco, so about a 25-30 minute drive from downtown).
    - "Costa Pacifica" is a Mexican seafood place near La Tequilera. Best seafood I've had in town, and best prices too.
    - For the night owls, "Taco Palenque" is a decent taco place open 24 hours and reasonably close (near Soluna).
    - "Smoke Shack" is a good BBQ place a little bit out of downtown (~2 miles up Broadway). I'd say pretty good compared to the Granary and definitely better priced. (Anything near the Granary area (called The Pearl) is very overpriced).
    Soluna - 8.2 mi
    La Tequilera del Patron - 17.6 mi
    Costa Pacifica - 17.7 mi
    Taco Palenque - 9.2 mi
    Smoke Shack - 3.2 mi
    Lulu's Cafe - 1.4 mi

Yea for the map! You guys rock! Got a quick question has anyone done a brewery tour in San Antonio? Any craft breweries nearby?

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    The two closest craft breweries I know of are Blue Star and Freetail (don't rely on maps to find the downtown Freetail location, it just opened a couple of months ago so you'll need to check the Freetail website for the address).

Admittedly, I'm not certain if there are any others close by. I know Ranger Creek is not, but they also have a distillery if you are inclined towards bourbon as well.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
    Anybody know of good local taco stands A.K.A. "roach coaches" in San Anton?

The best tacos aren't at stands or trucks, they're at taquerias. Best options near the Con are Tito's, El Mirador, and Taco Haven. If you've got a car or can otherwise get around, I strongly suggest El Milagrito, Taco Taco Cafe, or Henry's Puffy Tacos.
    Yea for the map! You guys rock! Got a quick question has anyone done a brewery tour in San Antonio? Any craft breweries nearby?

There are some around, but the only one close to the con is Freetail. They just opened a tap room about two miles from the convention center. I haven't been yet, but their brews are great, so I'd definitely be down for an outing on Friday or Saturday.

Also if there are any Brunch fans in the house i HIGHLY recommend Mad Hatters or Feast. I went to Feast the first time last Sunday and had pistachio almond french toast with a drink called the duchess that had Oj, Pomegranate, Ginger, and Vodka. It was quite a stellar foodie experience

xaldin87 wrote: »
    Also if there are any Brunch fans in the house i HIGHLY recommend Mad Hatters or Feast. I went to Feast the first time last Sunday and had pistachio almond french toast with a drink called the duchess that had Oj, Pomegranate, Ginger, and Vodka. It was quite a stellar foodie experience

Adding this place to the list, can we get it on the map :)

Since I'm in a day-long meeting that's basically running itself at this point, I've updated the map with the suggestions folks have made, as well as a bunch of other places across a wider range of the city. Basically every place I've ever been or even heard of that's supposed to be good. I also added some layers, color coding, and descriptive notes to help people narrow down their choices based on what they like. I'll keep updating it if and when people weigh in with places they think should be added.

• jrmtz85jrmtz85 Registered User regular
    Wickersham wrote: »
    Since I'm in a day-long meeting that's basically running itself at this point, I've updated the map with the suggestions folks have made, as well as a bunch of other places across a wider range of the city. Basically every place I've ever been or even heard of that's supposed to be good. I also added some layers, color coding, and descriptive notes to help people narrow down their choices based on what they like. I'll keep updating it if and when people weigh in with places they think should be added.

Map looks good, but just a few nits. Costa Pacifica and La Tequilera del Patron should be up near Loop 1604 and Blanco, not that close to 410. Don't want people goin to the wrong place :)

Map fixed. Google's to blame, I tells ya.

• LlamaofTimeLlamaofTime Registered User new member
    I don't know local San Antonio food that well, but one place I recommend if you are coming from out of state is Torchy's Tacos. They are the best. One just opened in San Antonio last month I believe. They only have them in Texas. One of my go to spots whenever I'm in Houston or Austin. Here's their menu- http://torchystacos.com/menu/

You can't really go wrong with any of them but I highly recommend the trailer park. Also their queso is fantastic. And according to their website the SA one has a full bar, so thats a nice bonus, only a couple of them have that

• Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    One of the absolute BEST Mexican food (not Tex-Mex in the least) restaraunts in town is 9.9 miles away at the corner of Blanco/410 called "Guajillos The Short-Cut to Mexico" http://www.guajillos.com/. Authentic Yucatan-style dishes of all kinds (all for $11 or less), incredible salsa, and more. If you're willing to make the 12 minute drive from the convention center, I highly reccomend the Tacos a Bistec, Sopa Azteca, Conchinita Pibil, Mole Verde con Pollo, Albondingas, and Mole Poblano.

Here's a link to their Yelp reviews too: http://www.yelp.com/biz/guajillos-the-shortcut-to-mexico-san-antonio

Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
  • joedaddy210joedaddy210 Registered User new member
    Lonestar cafe eve things fresh and homemade come on

• GarcMattGarcMatt San AntonioRegistered User regular
    If you want tasty friggin burgers and are willing to travel a few miles from the con go to Chris Madrids too, its a seat yourself restaurant with a line to order your food. and it is also packed like all the time but it is good burger just north of downtown SA