As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPhOWNED pt 2

1234568»

• FreakNRageFreakNRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Vyer wrote: »

You realize you made most of this up in your own head, right?

Really what part?

As far as the pricing, apple products have been more expensive everytime I have priced them out against competitors. I dislike them but if I ever thought they offered a better product for the same price or cheaper I would buy it.

Onto the rest of it:

Have you ever seen one of their ads?

All of their ads that I can remember seeing attempt to portray themselves as the computer for cool people and any competitors to be for losers. Watch one and if you don't get it there is no point in me insulting you, life obviously owned you from birth.

Their previous ads from somewhere around 5-10 years ago were the main ones I was talking about. They went on about how much easier the setup was like its apparently too difficult for people to set up a non-mac computer. Seriously is it difficult? Hell a kid that can handle that block game where only certain shaped blocks can fit in certain shaped holes can do it. Half of computers even have diagrams or colour coding for those that its a little to hard for. So yes I find it fair to say that Apple was saying, "You are too stupid to use a PC so buy an IMac we make them for idiots like you." That is unless of course you think someone implying you don't have the mental capacity of a five year old is not insulting you.

For the viruses, it is possible that there are other issues that affect Macs having less viruses but the main reason is the lack of their market share. Most viruses are made to infect as many systems as possible so obviously they will almost always be written for whatever operating system has the largest market share. If the market share was close its possible that this might not be the case but their is a huge gap.

So what part did I either not cover or make up in my head that you were talking about?

Not to launch directly into ad hominem attacks, but... ok, to do exactly that: The bolded statements make you sound like a complete dickish, petty loser. Who does things like this?

I enjoy using my Mac. I also have a PC. Sometimes they talk and hilarious antics ensue. If I ever met someone evangelical about Microsoft, I would probably not do anything more than take a playful potshot here and there. If this person happened to be a hot girl who wanted me, I wouldn't turn her down.

Someone that has options does things like this, obviously you don't. Hot girls are everywhere, you don't have to make allowances in what you are looking for to get one. Spend less time on your computer, invest in some soap, and get the balls to talk to people in a form that doesn't involve typing. Do this and you won't have to resort to throwing random insults at people on message boards to not feel like such a loser in your life. If that's too hard buy a gun, the world won't miss you.

Gihgehls wrote: »
    FreakNRage wrote: »
    guess what guess what Guess what guess what

Wow someone that instead of making an actual point just goes through someone else's post and picks on the way they wrote it. That's novel and unique about as novel and unique as me saying guess what, you're a cunt scab.

FreakNRage on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

All of their ads that I can remember seeing attempt to portray themselves as the computer for cool people and any competitors to be for losers. Watch one and if you don't get it there is no point in me insulting you, life obviously owned you from birth.

Do you know anything about advertising?

I mean anything, at all?

Can you honestly believe that a company would purposely paint, it's competitors in a positive light?

It's a standard tactic for advertising and has been used since the dawn of fucking time.

Anyway these hacked iPhones, have they managed to put VOIP onto them yet?

Because shit once they release a 3G version of the phone it'll be mint.

Blake T on
  • FreakNRageFreakNRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Blaket wrote: »

Do you know anything about advertising?

I mean anything, at all?

Can you honestly believe that a company would purposely paint, it's competitors in a positive light?

It's a standard tactic for advertising and has been used since the dawn of fucking time.

Anyway these hacked iPhones, have they managed to put VOIP onto them yet?

Because shit once they release a 3G version of the phone it'll be mint.

Yeah I probably know more about advertising then you do. Its possible that you are an advertising guru or something so know more then me but considering you can't read through what someone is discussing instead of getting a huge boner when you see the slightest chance to spew a bunch of stupid shit I doubt it. Do you see anywhere where I claimed they should paint their competitor in a positive light? Nope. Did you bother to read what I was discussing? Nope. Are you likely to have a successful life? Nope. Are you likely to live in your parent's basement at 45? Yes.

Do you know anything about how to read a thread?

I mean anything, at all?

Come back when you can follow a discussion douche bag.

FreakNRage on
  • JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Words

There's nothing smart about doing something that takes more effort just because you can. In my opinion a Mac costs more because the OS is worth more.

(I've used windows for a decade, OSX for a year, 25, have my own business, had sex with my girlfriend this morning, live in my own house)

Jeak on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I never understood the hype behind the Iphone.

Yeah, it's a phone that can do all the shit that all other high tier phones can do.

And it has a "i" as the first letter of it's name.

"OH MY GOD THAT MEANS IT'S LIKE AN IPOD WITH A PHONE IN IT! HOLY FUCKSHIT!"

The Black Hunter on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jeak wrote: »
    Words

There's nothing smart about doing something that takes more effort just because you can. In my opinion a Mac costs more because the OS is worth more.

(I've used windows for a decade, OSX for a year, 25, have my own business, had sex with my girlfriend this morning, live in my own house)

I thought one of the things that made it cost more was their limited support of hardware. Unlike MS, they are not in the business of building drivers for the purpose of a machine compiled from anything but rather a machine composed of very specific hardware that they feel is of superior quality and has been thoroughly tested. In theory, anyway.

Also, on the subject of their commercials, all I can think of it David Cross screaming "THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!"

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah, it's a phone that can do all the shit that all other high tier phones can do.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the i as its first name, but more so, because it has a touch screen which allows one to get it all nice and greasy, and/or that by rotating the phone it uses its SIXAXIS to rotate the screen with you. :lol:

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    FreakNRage, just because you think you are being insulted by some commercials does not mean that you are the only one smart enough to know you are being insulted by commercials. Occam's razor says that you are mistaken, not the other 99% of the viewing audience.

Also, as far as security, you are completely mistaken. OSX is an objectively safer os, it handles permissions better, does not have as many exploitable holes - it's built for the most part from unix, which is the granddaddy of well known, secure os's.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As far as the pricing, apple products have been more expensive everytime I have priced them out against competitors. I dislike them but if I ever thought they offered a better product for the same price or cheaper I would buy it.

I can guarantee that you're only comparing hardware to hardware. If you factor in the price of software and take into account the shit loads of useful software that actually come bundled with OSX, the price becomes a lot more even.

Are you the kind of consumer that gets angry at Lexus for charging more for their cars than Toyota? Sure, they're made by the same company and lots of the smaller components are exactly the same, but the overall experience of the Lexus is vastly improved.

With Apple, you're paying for a smoother, more intuitive computing experience. Once you witness Linux and Windows MSDN certified techs sitting down in front of a Mac uttering the words "This is how computers should be" immediately before buying one, you know Apple is doing something right.

Their server hardware offerings are more expensive than comparable 1U servers from just about any other company, too. Except then you realize that every single tool you need is bundled with the unlimited client licensed OS. You're also paying for the time Apple engineers took to customize most of the open source apps you're going to have to use every day to make them easier to deploy, maintain and understand because not every tech has tons of time to read up and study this stuff.

They're not for everybody. I'm not going to insult you for that because a lot of it comes down to personal preference. But unless you have a better reason for disliking the entire company than "Their stuff is more expensive", you should probably stop arguing.

The virus argument is old and busted, but still valid as it doesn't matter WHY they aren't targeted by malware writers more, because the fact remains that they aren't and it's not a worry when you run OSX.

And you really shouldn't be worked up about ads like that.

Edit: Anyway, iPhone! I had some hands on time with one yesterday, and it's pretty sweet. Still not $400 sweet, but pretty sweet.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • tinyfisttinyfist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jeak wrote: »
    Words

Jeak, you've completely preempted any rebuttal FreakNRage was going to make. Well played, sir!

tinyfist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

You fail to understand the appeal of having a good media player coupled with a phone? For many people it will be a cost savings as well as having to only carry one device with them.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man this thread went downhill.

Shogun on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Not to launch directly into ad hominem attacks, but... ok, to do exactly that: The bolded statements make you sound like a complete dickish, petty loser. Who does things like this?

I enjoy using my Mac. I also have a PC. Sometimes they talk and hilarious antics ensue. If I ever met someone evangelical about Microsoft, I would probably not do anything more than take a playful potshot here and there. If this person happened to be a hot girl who wanted me, I wouldn't turn her down.

Someone that has options does things like this, obviously you don't. Hot girls are everywhere, you don't have to make allowances in what you are looking for to get one. Spend less time on your computer, invest in some soap, and get the balls to talk to people in a form that doesn't involve typing. Do this and you won't have to resort to throwing random insults at people on message boards to not feel like such a loser in your life. If that's too hard buy a gun, the world won't miss you.

I'm sure your winning personality has all the hot women falling all over you. I wasn't aware that pettiness and desperation were such a strong dichotomy. Thanks for the tips on learning to talk to people and proper hygiene. Now I'm so irresistible that I can even reject good-looking women based on their choice of operating system. Thanks, man, you've really turned my life around.
    Shogun wrote: »
    Man this thread went downhill.

Yeah, yeah. Sorry, I know I'm not exactly helping.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Guess what I bought an iPhone. I like it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Impossible.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2007

Impossible.

Unthinkable.

My coworker refuses to sell me his 4GB that he doesn't want for $50. For the record, he got it for free.

The greedy bastard.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I'm sad that I'm not getting one, but I'm far too limited by money at the moment, so I had to stick with a cheap Zune and maybe a cheap SERO phone in the future.

Despite all the recent bullshit, I still say iPhones are good devices.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ronen wrote: »

Impossible.

Unthinkable.

My coworker refuses to sell me his 4GB that he doesn't want for $50. For the record, he got it for free.

The greedy bastard.

inconceivable-1.jpg

edit: I also love my iPhone still.

Shogun on
    edited October 2007
    Ya, my Sidekick was getting old, and through some janky return policy shinnannighans I was able to get out of my t-mobile contract for free. On top of that a friend of mine finally repayed a loan after about a year, so I had extra cash. Basically I shook an 8-ball and it said "all signs point to iPhone."

Unfortunately I wasn't able to move my contacts over before the sidekick desktop page went kaput, so I'm stuck entering all my contacts in by hand.
    You have to use your hands? It's like a baby toy!

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I wondered when this was going to come up. It looks like Apple may not be able to sell the iPhone in France, since by law any phone sold must be available as an unlocked version. Other European countries have similar laws, but Apple can't make unlocked phones available without violating the terms of their agreement with AT&T, since if there are unlocked phones available anywhere, you can bet at least some of them will find their way to the US.

link here (it's an auto-translated version, but you get the gist)

japan on
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Apple already announced that the iPhone will be offered by Orange (French Telecom).

Dratatoo on
  • AbsoluteHeroAbsoluteHero __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Apple Kid and Orange Kid

AbsoluteHero on
  • CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I bought an iPhone the 3rd day after it came out. I was happy with it. I got installer.app and modified my iPhone. I was happier with it. I got $100 back from Apple. This made me happier. I then got $100 back from American Express for my iPhone. All these things together, have made me very pleased with my phone experience.

Protip: if you paid for your iPhone with an american express card, they WILL refund you either 100 or 200 buckers. go forth, and google.

Code on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    japan wrote: »
    ...France, since by law any phone sold must be available as an unlocked version...
    Ah no way, that's awesome. Not just about the iPhone but for phones in general.
    I hate seeing phones that I'll never be able to use. :x

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Apple already announced that the iPhone will be offered by Orange (French Telecom).

Yes, but the point is that (as far as I can tell) they can't legally offer a phone locked to one provider unless they also offer an unlocked version. It would contravene the French competition laws. Carriers are also legally compelled to unlock phones on request.

There's a better engadget write up here.

It kind of screws exclusivity deals in other countries if people can just buy the unlocked version over the 'net.

EDIT: It also means they couldn't pull the same stunt with the firmware upgrade, given the amount of crap they'd get for breaking people's legally purchased phones.

japan on
    edited October 2007
    Code wrote: »
    I bought an iPhone the 3rd day after it came out. I was happy with it. I got installer.app and modified my iPhone. I was happier with it. I got $100 back from Apple. This made me happier. I then got $100 back from American Express for my iPhone. All these things together, have made me very pleased with my phone experience.

Protip: if you paid for your iPhone with an american express card, they WILL refund you either 100 or 200 buckers. go forth, and google.

Right now you are officially the best person on the forums. I had no idea about this. I bought mine with my Amex. I called the number and she just credited me with $110. So glad I became an Amex member.

Shogun on
  • PingPongPingPong Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just throwing this out there, but are iPhones SIM card? Cause I have NO IDEA what the status of this is like in Canada, I see people use them around Toronto, but I don't knwo what network they're on.

And I think that whole Apple = Microsoft things is semi true. I mean at the end of the day they're both compnaies. I use IE and i use Media Player, but to be fair, I'm not hardcore enough to even bother with others. It works, I don't do anyhitng illegal, whatever, right.

PingPong on
    edited October 2007
    Well... I got iPhOWNED yesterday.

So, I've posted on the boards before that I've been helping out an exec at my company who received a free 4GB iPhone by unlocking it so he can use it as an iPod. After using it for a while, he decided he just wants a real iPod so he'll sell the iPhone. Half in jest and half seriously I say, "Well, if you really don't want it, I'll give you $50 for it." We both kind of laugh it off nervously and we go about our business.

Fast forward to Thursday. We only have one Mac on our company network, the guy who does a lot of our internal graphic design (hereafter referred to as Mac guy). A while back I ordered the Adobe CS3 upgrades for him, and I finally had a little while to install it. So we're sitting around his computer while CS3 installs itself and we're talking about Mac stuff, I show him my new Apple Bluetooth keyboard (fucking awesome, by the way) and we get to the topic of the iPhone. I answer some questions for him about it and give him my opinion on it. He wants it mostly for iPod use and web browsing, but he'd use it as his phone also. Finally I say to him, "If you're really interested, go talk to [Exec], he's selling his. Offer him a reasonable amount and he'll probably take it... he just wants the money so he can buy a real iPod."

So the Mac guy goes down and talks to the Exec, and the Exec says, "I'll think about it." Mac guy comes back upstairs, tells me as much and the install goes on (and on, and on, cripes that install took a long time).

So Monday afternoon rolls around and I'm down by the Exec's office. He hears my voice talking to someone else and he calls me in. Immediately he starts being apologetic, saying "It completely slipped my mind, I should've asked you first, I'm really sorry."

I ask, "[Exec], what are you talking about?"

"I got fed up with the iPhone as an iPod over the weekend, so I gave it to [Mac guy]. I completely forgot that you'd been helping me out with it, I should have offered it to you first," Exec replies. [Author's note: please note gave, not sold.]

"Oh, hey man, no problem, he needed a new phone and he really wanted it, it's all good," I say, heart aflame and jaw on the floor.

I haven't seen Mac guy yet this week (not that it's his fault), but... wow. I was a hair away from a free 4GB iPhone. I'm not really angry because Mac guy really needed a new phone and I was just going to use it as a video player and mobile internet device, but man... that would've been awesome.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I hate to necro-bump an old topic, but it's better than starting a new one:

One month after the iPhone update that broke all hacks and jailbreaks, the iPhone Dev Team strikes back! http://jailbreakme.com Open your iPhone to that page, touch Install AppnTapp. If you are on a locked and unactivated phone, there's instructions on how to bring up Safari.

I installed it and so far, it's excellent!

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
    edited October 2007
    awesome awesome awesome.

EDIT: I installed it, it works fine. There were a few moments of terror while I was updating installer.app because it seemed to hang during the "cleaning up" phase. Also, it seems like whenever you change settings in SummerBoard (the new app launcher) it exits back to the home screen for a few moments, then goes to the "slide to unlock" screen. But now that I've figured out that is normal everything works great! It will be interesting to see what Apple's next move is.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg