As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings 2; Charlemagne vs Carloman, Fratricide 2.0

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I had a question of my own about wars, actually, specifically about pressing a claim on behalf of someone in your court. I know how to invite claimants to a foreign kingdom to my court, and how to press their claims, but how do I make sure the territory is actually under my control afterwards, without having to give away a county first? For example, if I recruit someone with a claim to some small independent Irish County to my court he'll join no problem, and I'll get the option to press his claim. But unless I also make him Count/Earl of one of my existing counties, he'll just end up forming his own independent county and refuse my offer of vassalage. It seems as though he needs to already be a land-owning vassal before I can press his claims and keep him in the Kingdom, is that the case?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. They already have to be your vassal somehow or else they're just gonna leave and you don't get the land. I believe that the one exception there is if the claimant is also a member of your Dynasty.

And, of course, the title you're getting for them has to be of a lower rank than yours. If you're a Duke and you make someone a King, the King's not going to be your vassal.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I'm still a learner myself so I'm mostly guessing, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that 100% warscore doesn't necessarily mean an instant end to the war. I'd guess either the high diviner (who I'm further guessing is like a Slavic version of a Pope or Caliph) or the target of the holy war doesn't want peace for whatever reason.

I had a question of my own about wars, actually, specifically about pressing a claim on behalf of someone in your court. I know how to invite claimants to a foreign kingdom to my court, and how to press their claims, but how do I make sure the territory is actually under my control afterwards, without having to give away a county first? For example, if I recruit someone with a claim to some small independent Irish County to my court he'll join no problem, and I'll get the option to press his claim. But unless I also make him Count/Earl of one of my existing counties, he'll just end up forming his own independent county and refuse my offer of vassalage. It seems as though he needs to already be a land-owning vassal before I can press his claims and keep him in the Kingdom, is that the case?

He does need to be a vassal of yours to keep in the kingdom. I think baronies might be ok too if you happen to have one, but he either needs to be in your dynasty or a landed vassal regardless. This actually has some basis in history, if a duke acquired a larger king title in another county there was often a question over whether the original kings sovereignty extended over the new area. England and France and Prussia and the HRE come to mind as places where this was an issue.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So with my Franconia game dead by Karling I've got one running as the Duchy of Spoleto... or, by this point, the Kingdom of Spoleto due to leveraging my way free of Lombardy and using the Found A Kingdom option.

Apparently if two wars against your tyrrany are going simultaneously, a situation I faced while trying to consolidate power initially, you can surrender to one, be overthrown in favor of your son, then surrender to the other and be right back in charge. I chalked it up to my character's high Intrigue; clearly it was a Xanatos Gambit of sorts.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    PACherrn wrote: »
    I've run into what seems like a bug. My majestic Empire of Kiev, home of the reformed Slavic faith, is in a holy war with the Khan of Volga Bulgari, faaaaar to the east over the kingdom of Cumania. A war that the high diviner of the Slavic faith had declared. Like a good Slav, I offered to join the war like the rest of the Slavic kingdoms did. The holy-war has now lasted 11 years, but we have finally managed to push it to 100% warscore, with me as the key contributor, but because I didn't begin the war, I can't offer terms. So despite the 100% warscore, the blasted thing wont end, because the High Diviner seemingly has no intention of offering peace.
    Yeah, this bug shows up every now and then. If you're not on Ironman, a quick and easy solution is to just load the game as the winner and secure peace, then save and reload back as yourself.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    PACherrnPACherrn Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    PACherrn wrote: »
    I've run into what seems like a bug. My majestic Empire of Kiev, home of the reformed Slavic faith, is in a holy war with the Khan of Volga Bulgari, faaaaar to the east over the kingdom of Cumania. A war that the high diviner of the Slavic faith had declared. Like a good Slav, I offered to join the war like the rest of the Slavic kingdoms did. The holy-war has now lasted 11 years, but we have finally managed to push it to 100% warscore, with me as the key contributor, but because I didn't begin the war, I can't offer terms. So despite the 100% warscore, the blasted thing wont end, because the High Diviner seemingly has no intention of offering peace.
    Yeah, this bug shows up every now and then. If you're not on Ironman, a quick and easy solution is to just load the game as the winner and secure peace, then save and reload back as yourself.

Sadly I am playing ironman :( I always do :(

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I tried switching to Tanistry since that's an option unique to Scotland and a handful of others, and so far it feels like easy-mode succession. Basically your vassals elect a King from the bloodline of the Royal family, favoring characters with good stats and without a direct blood connection to the existing monarch, i.e, it'll probably be your eldest brother. This means that you go through Kings pretty quickly, as the preference for better stats means that they tend to be fairly old when they ascend, but it also means that you're getting the very best candidates of each generation on the throne, and can easily ping-pong back and forth between two branches of your dynasty to circumvent the "no direct blood relatives" rule. You'll never get a madman or horribly deformed cripple on the throne, because nobody would vote for him. My current Tanist, Evander De Brus, had seventeen stewardship by age 21. Seventeen. I wasn't even trying to make him a good steward, I was training him to be a general, but he turned out to be pretty good at that as well! His only competition is his brother, Lisa De Brus. Yes, Lisa. I misread the gender of the baby when it was born apparently. He has twenty-one diplomacy (!!!) but not a lot else going for him.

*edit* Might as well piggy-back this question onto my existing post; why do I want Duchies? I've got two unassigned Duchies that I can give to somebody, but why would I want to? I know that I get prestige for creating a Duchy in the first place, but what do I get for giving it away?

Also, the King of England has declared war on me despite us having a truce for the next 4 years; do truces only mean the aggressor can't attack again for 5 years, or is the King of England now an Oathbreaker, with the minus a million opinion that comes with it?

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

*edit* Might as well piggy-back this question onto my existing post; why do I want Duchies? I've got two unassigned Duchies that I can give to somebody, but why would I want to? I know that I get prestige for creating a Duchy in the first place, but what do I get for giving it away?

Well, the simplest answer is sometimes you want to give away a title, but have no more to give away. Maybe you want to dramatically improve someone's opinion of you, or you made a promise to a son, or you are trying to avoid decadence penalties for unlanded family. Often it's better to make a new title, rather than suffer the widespread opinion penalty to taking a title from someone who did nothing wrong.

Secondly, there is always the advantage of fewer vassals. All the counties under the duchy, and any transferred to the new duke, are no longer your problem. At larger state levels, too many vassals can get overwhelming so the game partially intends you to mitigate by making dukes. Fewer people to make happy if you want to change a law, fewer people to plot against you (more likely to target their more direct lord). I haven't played as much since the patch, but I believe creating duchies will also dramatically reduce your current vassals for the vassal limit number.

Basically, at smaller levels you're better off having more direct control, but if you are an empire and are, for example, avoiding making kings, you would much rather have dukes than a million counts to deal with.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Also you can only join factions against your direct liege, so if you've gotta cut down say, an independence faction burying members under other people works well.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Also also, if your vassals are strong enough, they'll actually press their own freakin' claims on people outside of your empire, expanding it for you!

Of course, this usually only happens once you've increased your laws to the point that they can't sate their bloodlust on their 'friendly' neighbors.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Wait, so how does that work with taxes? Like, if I have a big valuable tax-bearing town that's part of a Duchy, does the amount of tax I get from it depend on the Baron's opinion of me, or the Duke's? Or the Baron's opinion of the Duke? Or all of the above?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I think this is still how it works?

So, the bulk of the tax is from you vassals, you get a smaller fraction of taxes paid to vassals by subvassals.

Generally speaking, most of your money is going to come from your direct holdings, and all of your burgher vassals.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    I think this is still how it works?

So, the bulk of the tax is from you vassals, you get a smaller fraction of taxes paid to vassals by subvassals.

Generally speaking, most of your money is going to come from your direct holdings, and all of your burgher vassals.

Okay, that's exactly what I needed. And it answers my follow-up question, which was going to be "Can I tax a Count who owns a city twice, once for the city's city tax, and once for his/her feudal tax?", and the answer seems to be "No, everyone is taxed once according to what kind of noble they are."

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    You can retract vassalage of the town from your duke if you want the direct tax income of that town, but doing this is a breach of the feudal contract and you will also get a permanent negative opinion modifier with the de-jure liege until you give it back. Doesn't really matter if they're a traitor and in your prison, though.

Platy on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    You can retract vassalage of the town from your duke if you want the direct tax income of that town, but doing this is a breach of the feudal contract and you will also get a permanent negative opinion modifier with the de-jure liege until you give it back. Doesn't really matter if they're a traitor and in your prison, though.

It's also surprisingly inefficient unless you're trying to find a way to get them to rebel so you can banish them and take ALL their stuff, which sometimes, you are.

Another useful thing to do can be to deliberately create Lord Mayors and Prince-Bishops in relatively low-value areas. The sometimes-high turnover on those and the face that the titles aren't heritable tends to mean anyone who gets it will be much less trouble than a noble might be.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Oh yeah, and making a merchant house like Venice in your kingdom is a pretty good use of a duchy. Gets some trade posts in your area to up the income of your coastal cities and they tend to make bank, so if you can keep them happy past that -40 wrong ruler type penalty you'll get a bunch of previously mentioned bank.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The above is a really good idea, even in noneuropean areas its a good idea to set up a vassal republic duchy if you have sea access. You are always allowed at least 1 if you have a king title and are not tribal, and they are both less trouble and more lucrative than feudal vassals. The -40 opinion is usually pretty easy to work around.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    If you are the head of your religion you can also make duchies into theocracies, no negative opinion and +25 for head of religion. Open succession like mayors but they will always love you and you get that sweet 35% tax. You can not have more then 25% of your non baron vassals as theocracies.

You need to levee a tax on lords if you want money from your vassal duchies, if it is set at 10% you get 10% of everything they normally collect. It is generally not really worth it, you get so much more from your own holdings and city/church vassals.

The downside of tanistry I found out about with my Scottish empire is if you get a non-Celtic ruler elected as the tannist then you no longer qualify for the succession type and it dumps you into gavelkind. Lost my entire personal imperial holdings in a quick crappy series of successions leaving me with just the capital.

You need to keep your bloodline small and focused on Celtic cultures.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So, if you're going for the Casanova achievement, do you need to keep them as your lover or just successfully seduce them?

My heir was 20 and had that as his ambition so I decided to have some fun with it. He already had four bastards when I took over as him, I've legitimized one and recognized one since then, and I've denounced, uhm... several.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    If you are the head of your religion you can also make duchies into theocracies, no negative opinion and +25 for head of religion. Open succession like mayors but they will always love you and you get that sweet 35% tax. You can not have more then 25% of your non baron vassals as theocracies.

You need to levee a tax on lords if you want money from your vassal duchies, if it is set at 10% you get 10% of everything they normally collect. It is generally not really worth it, you get so much more from your own holdings and city/church vassals.

The downside of tanistry I found out about with my Scottish empire is if you get a non-Celtic ruler elected as the tannist then you no longer qualify for the succession type and it dumps you into gavelkind. Lost my entire personal imperial holdings in a quick crappy series of successions leaving me with just the capital.

That almost sounds like a bug. Celtic vassals probably wouldn't support a tanist who was going to automatically get rid of tanistry.

• Options

That almost sounds like a bug. Celtic vassals probably wouldn't support a tanist who was going to automatically get rid of tanistry.

You'd think, but my experience was that they nearly-mindlessly voted for the highest-Diplomacy guy who was eligible.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options

I think it's something which wasn't given much thought, you for example keep the absolute gender law if you switch from Basque or Cathar religion to another culture or religion (as long as you don't become Tengri, Muslim or Altaic). The reason is that in the game files, "culture_group = celtic" is under "potential", not "allow".

• Options
    No one in CK2 has the capacity to predict what will happen in the next day, let alone the consequences of things as insane as feudal inheritance laws.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Have they had DLC where you can be the pope yet? OR is that just tribal/heresies/heathens

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Have they had DLC where you can be the pope yet? OR is that just tribal/heresies/heathens

Nope, can't play as a catholic priest / pope yet. Since the title's aren't inheritable and you can't play as an unlanded character.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Tell that to the Borgias.

• Options
    You can play as the pope or any theocracy in EU4. Tibet even gets an event which will let you change it into a theocracy.

• Options
    Yeah, EU4's shift in focus from specific dynasties to nations helps.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    If they really wanted to, they could make it so that you just took control over who got made Pope.

I guess they just don't want to.

Oh and real talk, I wish you could play as unlanded characters. Lead a merc army or knighly order, go bum around in other courts convincing them to press your claims, play spymaster (seriously I would love it if the councilors positions actually did anything).

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Small patch today which purports to lower the AI's love of seduction somewhat, make the Invite to Carousing cooldown visible (yay!) and clear up some other less-exciting issues.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Patch Notes from Steam:
    MAJOR:

- Fixed bug where vassal levies could not always be dismissed.

- Fixed crash issue on Linux when the AI tried to build settlements.

MINOR:

- Temple successors now get their liege's religion rather than their top liege's

- Rebalanced seduction to make it harder to seduce the spouses of great rulers

- AI: Reduced seduction craze a bit

- Seduction: increased risk of scandal

- Adjusted default message settings to reduce spam

- Fixed a grammar variable bug in event WoL.201

- Fixed a bug with event WoL.3050 happening for a single character only

- Fixed a bug with event 63103, where vassals of vassals could go independent with Elective Gavelkind succession

- Reduced the Catholic Holy Order regiments in size

- Fixed a minor issue with the court where some newborn bastards ended up

- Fixed text bug in event WoL.11000, which referred to the recipient rather than the actor

- Better tooltips in the event options for WoL.11000

- Better tooltips in event WoL.11006

- Fixed some problems with the 'inbred' trait calculations

- Added 'real_fathers' console command

- Added missing text EVTOPTA_WOL_415

- Fixed bug where the culture group trigger and religion group trigger did not properly check against other characters, making Indian Subjugation wars impossible to use.

- Christian pilgrim events now check for character's capital location rather than current location when checking for available destinations.

- Fixed a bug with the WoL scholarship events where an event might start repeating incorrectly.

- Fixed a faulty text tag reference in a Carousing boardgame event.

- Cooldown for Carousing is now visible in tooltip.

- Fixed a bug where characters could sometimes get both the Bastard and Legitimate Bastard traits.

- Heliopolis is now a temple holding instead of a city holding.

- Moved Kabul Zunist holy site to Nagarahara temple holding (in the same province).

- Moved Multan Zunist holy site to Mulasthana temple holding (in the same province).

- Updated faulty localisation function in the last event of the business focus trade route chain

- Fixed a crash when hovering an option in the event that let's you end the rivalry of a converted Christian

- Hungary should now get a crown authority law when forming from the Magyar decision

- The form Hungary decision no longer creates exponential amounts of troops

- Reworked Holmgang events to use personal combat skill rather than martial skill

- Reduced mean time to happen for Holmgang if you have War focus

- Fixed a rare case when duels could break

- Duels now potentially give the kinslayer trait

- Shortened the text of one outcome of duels to avoid long names making the text too large for the event window

MODDING:

- Fixed an error with change_variable for titles

CONVERTER:

- Fixed outdated modifiers in special national ideas, all global revolt risk has been changed to global unrest modifiers

- Fixed the four missing province mappings in eastern europe

- Added unique modifiers to some christian heresies

- Made sure to update the colors of all heresies to their CK2 variant of color

- Fixed so messalian and nestorian are converted correctly.

- Added proper icons for norse personal deities

- Arabic cultures now map to their corresponding one in EU4

- Steppe cultures now part of same culture group as turkish

- Moved visigothic to iberian culture group

• Options
    Aw man, now I can't give everyone in the enemy empire herpes (lover's pox) by seducing everything everywhere!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    CK2 patch notes always give me a good laugh.

• Options
    Has anyone tried forming a de jure Empire with a titular kingdom title + one of the required ones yet? I'd have had that opportunity in my current game but I dissolved the Kingdom of Spoleto immediately after usurping control of Lombardy, so now I'm stuck trying to find a way to get Sicily, Burgundy, Bavaria, or maybe one of the not-Catholic-yet kingdoms in the direction of Hungary because you can't reconstitute titular kingdoms.

I'm also a 16-year-old trying to hold the throne his father squandered most of the authority necessary to change governments for because everyone hated him by carousing with those same guys, so that's neat. Assuming my uncle and the guy in charge of Latium die some time soon I have a decent chance of pulling this off.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    So not to complain too much, but if they are going to spread manicheanism and mazdaki all over the place in the charlemagne starts it would be nice if the religions actually worked.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Meet Empress Ciar "The Hammer" of Gaelia, destroyer of Popes, bane to the English, champion of all free Gaelic peoples.
    rvvHslU.jpg

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Anyone else have the bug with the new patch where everyone's a black flag except for muslim and indian religions? Kinda annoying. Oh paradox, one step forward and two steps back with every patch.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So, if you're going for the Casanova achievement, do you need to keep them as your lover or just successfully seduce them?

My heir was 20 and had that as his ambition so I decided to have some fun with it. He already had four bastards when I took over as him, I've legitimized one and recognized one since then, and I've denounced, uhm... several.

Update: Found out that games started before DLC was released will not activate DLC achievements. Dang. Well, I guess I've got more to do next playthrough.

• Options
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Anyone else have the bug with the new patch where everyone's a black flag except for muslim and indian religions? Kinda annoying. Oh paradox, one step forward and two steps back with every patch.

I think you can remedy this by deleting the cached files in your document folder

Not entirely sure though, it's been some time since I had this problem

• Options
    That's a problem with ck2 looking for heraldry files that are not there. It may be a save corruption problem but I would try verifying the game cache

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    According to the Paradox forums, it's indeed related to the "gfx" cache in the documents folder

If you delete it, the game should recreate it upon the next launch (doing the same with the other files can also speed up your loading times)