As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tough Mudder first timer

PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
I just signed up with four buddies as we all say good bye to our 20s this year and enter our 30s. Various levels of fitness ranging from strong but not fit, fit but not strong and somewhere inbetween.
Anyone got any experiance or any targets we should reach before we get to the day (we have 5 months to go).

Also on the day tips (breakfast?) or just before/after advise welcome.

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Work on your upper body strength. There will be many obstacles that require you to pull yourself up, hold yourself up, drag yourself up, etc. Your triceps need to be super strong. Now, if you don't have that, there will be hoards of people helping you up, but the one thing I wished I'd focused more on was upper body strength. I heard rock climbing really helps with this.

Don't worry about cardio too much, because it will actually help you to get exerted by running because it will keep you warm after water obstacles.

• Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    If you want to do it quickly then focus on cardio and start in the first wave. If you're just looking to have fun then just be in decent shape. Upper body strength helps for obstacles, but it's not necessary.

I think people consider Tough Mudders much harder than they actually are. You go at your own pace with breaks and obstacles can either be completed with teamwork and minimal strength or there's a low strength option, falling into the water and swimming if you fall off the monkey bars for example.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    CrossFit fucked up my knee and endangered my career. All I have to show for it is Chronic Patellar Tendonitis, a patellar strap and two years of pain, still counting.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Hah I've got one myself in 5 months as well and am just considering training options.
    khain wrote: »
    I think people consider Tough Mudders much harder than they actually are. You go at your own pace with breaks and obstacles can either be completed with teamwork and minimal strength or there's a low strength option, falling into the water and swimming if you fall off the monkey bars for example.

Yeah certainly ones in summer are only punishing if you have a time target you want to meet, just being in okay shape (work up to running the distance at a steady pace) and some upper body strength (being able to do multiple pull ups) will see you through.

Depending on the expected temperature of the time and place when you're going to do it I've been recommend going for a run and then jumping in some cold water so it's less of a shock when it happens on the mudder.

• Options
    Ok sounds like I'm in a good place for it then. Will work on upping my pull up but on the whole I'm fit enough.

How many Km do you get between obsticals?

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    1-2 miles, typically. So 1.5-3 km
    Though some obstacles (the easier ones) might be bunched up closer to one another.

minirhyder on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    the hardest part is the distance (if you're hoping to jog/run a lot of it), most people aren't used to running 10+ miles at once. In the morning we ate oats, bananas, eggs ~3 hours early. then a shot of bourbon right before :) Don't wear cotton, don't worry about your overall speed if you have slow members, it's really fun!

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    It's fun, and it's designed to be completed if you have strength of character. That said, if you want to complete the Funky Monkey (inclined and then declined monkey bars spaced a good distance apart) without taking a dip, you need some serious upper body strength.

I'm of the opinion dinner the night before / breakfast doesn't really matter. I've done basically every combination of food, and haven't really seen a substantial difference.

Water is provided, and IME, minor food bits are also provided. I will caveat you should drink a fair bit of water beforehand, as I ended up rather dehydrated at the end of it.

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    The worst Tough Mudder obstacle is the one where you have to go into the portapotty that two thousand people have used just before you and oh my god.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    If you are looking at upper body strength, don't forget to do chin-ups/pull-ups to train the triceps, biceps and lats.

Especially the lats muscles. You will be surprised how little those are used in every day routines and how "weak" you feel when you attempt to do a pull-up the first time (even with assisted weight reduction).

At least I did.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Endurance matters much more than anything, IMO, but you can always walk if you can't run the whole thing. I honestly recommend going on some long, relatively rugged hikes to prepare. I did mine at a ski resort in NH so there was a LOT of incline.

Also, I brought two cliff bars with me and put them in a zip up pocket, I ate one every 3-4 miles and it helped a lot. Be sure you hydrate a lot if it's a hot day, bananas are also a good idea.

The whole thing wasn't as difficult as people make it out to be, but it's not a walk in the park of course. The worst part was during the army crawls when there were lots of rocks everywhere, it tears up your arms/knees pretty good so just be ready for that.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Running is the crucial bit. Any obstacles that you 'fail' aren't that big of a deal anyway. The toughest part is the constant up and down of the ski mountain (mine too was on a ski mountain.)

I highly recommend doing it though, Tough Mudder goes down in history as the most fun day of my life.
    In fact, part of the reason I joined the military afterwards is to try to get some of that physical challenge and comradeship back.

• Options
    Thanks all, this has been helpful so far. Started pulling back the strength training and moving it in an endurance direction. I will definatly be one of the fitter of my group and as we plan to go at the slowest mans speed so im not that worried.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to take an MP3 player and some headphones to drown out the 90% of participants that will all try to talk you into joining their 'box'...

• Options
    Don't forget to take an MP3 player and some headphones to drown out the 90% of participants that will all try to talk you into joining their 'box'...

I'd heavily disagree. There is a lot of water and mud involved in Tough Mudder. Do not take any electronics.

• Options
    007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    Prime wrote: »
    I just signed up with four buddies as we all say good bye to our 20s this year and enter our 30s. Various levels of fitness ranging from strong but not fit, fit but not strong and somewhere inbetween.
    Anyone got any experiance or any targets we should reach before we get to the day (we have 5 months to go).

Also on the day tips (breakfast?) or just before/after advise welcome.

having run an infinite amount of obstacle courses and mudder like runs in the Marine Corps, my best advice is to focus on your entire body. Core strength is key just to keep your endurance with all the obstacles, but you'll need lower and upper body strength just as much as well.

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.