As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South 2015 Travel/Transportation

2»

• Options
    3xTru3xTru Registered User new member
    kyan22 wrote: »
    Could u make it down to Tucson and then join us?[/qte]
    Yes, I could! Sorry, looks like I need to change my notifications settings.

• Options
    Tigre_RoaringTigre_Roaring Greater South Houston areaRegistered User regular
    I'm carpooling with some friends from Houston. 3 hours of singing and raving in the car, to and fro!!! 8-)

Gonna be there all 3 days!

• Options
    AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm carpooling with some friends from Houston. 3 hours of singing and raving in the car, to and fro!!! 8-)
    Nice, I am also driving from Houston. We should all meet up at PAX since we are neighbors. Still newish to Texas.
    Murica'

• Options
    CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    The wife and I are driving from Oklahoma City, if anyone wants to caravan.

Somehow in giving you dining suggestions, I missed that you were from OKC. Dude! We'll have a full car, but it's so cool to see another OKC-person going!! Just wanted to say hi. We have a group of 4 from OKC.

• Options
    Tigre_RoaringTigre_Roaring Greater South Houston areaRegistered User regular
    Aggress wrote: »
    Nice, I am also driving from Houston. We should all meet up at PAX since we are neighbors. Still newish to Texas.
    Murica'

Cool man! Yeah Houstonites unite!

Gonna be there all 3 days!

• Options
    kenric02kenric02 Registered User new member
    Is anybody driving from the northern Dallas area?
    I am from garland specifically and I am looking for people to carpool with.
    If anyone is coming from Dallas or are willing to pass by to get me, please PM or email me at theotakotour@yahoo.com
    Of course, this is for going to and going back from PAX South.
    And of course, I will be more than willing to pay my share for gas.

• Options
    ChaoticFateChaoticFate Registered User regular
    I was just wondering if anyone knows if it would be cheaper to cab it, if there was 3 splitting the fare or would it be cheaper to take a shuttle?

• Options
    awkforeverawkforever Registered User new member
    I was just wondering if anyone knows if it would be cheaper to cab it, if there was 3 splitting the fare or would it be cheaper to take a shuttle?

Are you talking about transportation from the airport? I was wondering the same thing.

• Options
    AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't know how the shuttles work here. But some do fare per person vs a cab being one fare. Plus you have to wait for a shuttle and deal with whatever stops it may have. IMO if the shuttle you want isn't free, take a cab.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I've been looking in on this and it sure seems like San Antonio really doesn't cater to non-drivers. I called my hotel and asked if they have a shuttle and the girl I spoke to was a bit surprised I wasn't renting a car. It seems silly to pay $70-100 a day for a car that I'm only going to drive from the airport to a hotel parking lot and then leave it sit (and pay for parking) for the entire weekend!

There is a shuttle (called the "GO" shuttle) but it costs $34 plus a $2.50 "fuel surcharge" per person for a round trip ticket from and back to the airport. If you're a single person, this seems to be the best choice.

A taxi runs about $30 (according to every estimate I've seen) from the airport to downtown, so figure $60 round trip. If you're in a group of two or more, sharing a cab seems to be the best option. (And it gets better the more people you can ride-share with!)

The local bus system seems to be the cheapest, coming in at less than $5 for the round trip, but the only people suggesting this are visitors; most local people seem to think the bus is slow and unreliable.

26904.png
  • Options
    koleypunchkoleypunch Portland, OR/Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I've been looking in on this and it sure seems like San Antonio really doesn't cater to non-drivers. I called my hotel and asked if they have a shuttle and the girl I spoke to was a bit surprised I wasn't renting a car. It seems silly to pay $70-100 a day for a car that I'm only going to drive from the airport to a hotel parking lot and then leave it sit (and pay for parking) for the entire weekend!

There is a shuttle (called the "GO" shuttle) but it costs $34 plus a $2.50 "fuel surcharge" per person for a round trip ticket from and back to the airport. If you're a single person, this seems to be the best choice.

A taxi runs about $30 (according to every estimate I've seen) from the airport to downtown, so figure $60 round trip. If you're in a group of two or more, sharing a cab seems to be the best option. (And it gets better the more people you can ride-share with!)

The local bus system seems to be the cheapest, coming in at less than $5 for the round trip, but the only people suggesting this are visitors; most local people seem to think the bus is slow and unreliable.

As a visitor without a huge budget,I think I'm going to just take my chances with the bus.

location! location! bees!
  • Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    I've got some Uber credit might as well use it or I'll just take a cab

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    MidanMidan Registered User regular
    I have a question about parking the hotel we are staying at (Marriott residence inn) is going to charge us $26 a day for parking, is that normal? And if not is there any other cheaper places to park around the convention center? We really are not going to be using it much besides to drive there and drive back home.

• Options
    kyan22kyan22 Tucson,azRegistered User regular
    Midan wrote: »
    I have a question about parking the hotel we are staying at (Marriott residence inn) is going to charge us $26 a day for parking, is that normal? And if not is there any other cheaper places to park around the convention center? We really are not going to be using it much besides to drive there and drive back home.
    Same question but with the druey inn.that's where we r

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm told there is an open-air lot between the Days Inn and La Quinta, across from a Denny's that only charges $5 a day for parking. (This is taken from another site, and I'm not local so take the suggestion with a huge mountain of salt.)

26904.png
  • Options
    chanforceonechanforceone Registered User regular
    Midan wrote: »

I am at the TownePlace Suites and it is also $25 a day parking. Definitely hoping there will be some cheaper options, but I won't be surprised if there aren't any.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    A lot of downtown parking is expensive, especially at the hotels. San Antonio has no problem letting tourists foot the bills ;) .

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    There are lots of open air parking lots around downtown but not all of them let you stay overnight, we have never tried leaving our car overnight so not sure what the procedure would be. You would have to check the signs once you find one (not all of them will have attendants.) Not sure how safe it is either since it's going to be, well, open overnight. $25/day for hotel parking seems standard. I think when we go to the convention center for events, the closest garages charge $20/day and that's not for overnight, that's just for the day.

• Options
    Cid29 wrote: »
    Sorry, no rails in San Antonio. Have to take a shuttle or taxi, shuttle is cheaper. It should take about 20 min.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/SAT/GroundTransportation/Shuttle.aspx

I think I'll be taking the shuttle looks like a cab will be close to $30+ My hotel is about 1/2 mile from the convention center.

I'm surprised no one has asked this yet, is its pretty safe to walk around an night? I'm going to walk most of the time from my Hotel to the Convention Center

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »
    Sorry, no rails in San Antonio. Have to take a shuttle or taxi, shuttle is cheaper. It should take about 20 min.

I think I'll be taking the shuttle looks like a cab will be close to $30+ My hotel is about 1/2 mile from the convention center.

I'm surprised no one has asked this yet, is its pretty safe to walk around an night? I'm going to walk most of the time from my Hotel to the Convention Center

I'm going to assume yes just because it will be nothing but PAXers around. But that is just a guess. That is what I'm doing and I am sure tons of others.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    There are going to be tons of people downtown. Not just at PAX, but there's the Riverwalk, lots of bars/restaurants, etc. Every time we have been to a convention late (11pm-midnight), there are still tons of people on the streets when we walk back to our car (which is usually parked further away than your hotel probably is) and we haven't had any problems. Helps that it's been me and my husband and sometimes a third person with us. Safety in numbers. But really, just don't go wandering off down any side streets by yourself and you should be fine. Downtown SA is pretty well lit and very condensed so it shouldn't take you long to get from the convention center to your hotel if you're staying nearby.
    Edit to add: It's not quite 8am so I missed the part where you said your hotel is 1/2 mile away, but that is still very walkable and should be safe. :biggrin: that's usually at least how far away we end up parking, especially if we can't get into one of the big covered garages that's right next to the convention center.

MaggieTheCat on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Having looked into the crime statistics for Prime and East, San Antonio appears to be a less safe city. But mainly because Seattle is very safe.
    Since 1/5(to eliminate the New Years spike), the area around PAX has seen:
    ~20 car burglaries
    ~17 assaults (2 of them sexual)
    ~25 personal thefts: I can't tell if this includes muggings or not.
    Statistically that means PAX will see maybe 1/3 of those numbers. It looks like around the convention center, theft from cars is the biggest crime. In fact that area is the place in the city it happens the most. But otherwise the convention area is fairly safe compared to the rest of the city. However, if you go outside of the ring formed by I-10, I-35, and Route 90, things get gritty real quick. So in my opinion (formed entirely from statistics I looked up on the internet), don't walk past an interstate or train tracks.

Also, San Antonio seems very keen on policing public intoxication (50 in the last 2 weeks and this doesn't count New Year's). And the fine for that is "up to $500". So maybe try not to get hammered out on the streets.
    I got my data from here.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    3xTru3xTru Registered User new member
    So, my carpool plan from Arizona for myself and my brother has fallen through today. Is there anyone else driving from Arizona, or heck, a nearby state? We can come to you, and will contribute toward gas.

• Options
    TraithTraith Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Also, San Antonio seems very keen on policing public intoxication (50 in the last 2 weeks and this doesn't count New Year's). And the fine for that is "up to $500". So maybe try not to get hammered out on the streets.

Hey, if they didn't want me getting hammered out on the streets then they should have passed open-container laws... That's just poor planning on their part. :P

Traith on
    South 2015 Status: [✓] 3-Day Badges [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Time Off [ready] Liver

Attendee:
    Prime: '13
    South: '15
  • Options
    koleypunchkoleypunch Portland, OR/Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Traith wrote: »

Hey, if they didn't want me getting hammered out on the streets then they should have passed open-container laws... That's just poor planning on their part. :P

Edited: I misread your statement, hah.

koleypunch on
    location! location! bees!
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Or excellent planning. Since they are the ones picking up $500 (on top of all the taxes you pay on the booze).

• Options
    TraithTraith Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular

Or excellent planning. Since they are the ones picking up $500 (on top of all the taxes you pay on the booze).

touché

South 2015 Status: [✓] 3-Day Badges [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Time Off [ready] Liver

Attendee:
    Prime: '13
    South: '15
  • Options
    OriginalGamerOriginalGamer Registered User regular
    Hey everyone. I found a $10 off code for Lyft! It's like a taxi but cheaper. Download the app for your phone go to settings > payment and use code "INDIEGAME" before you request a ride. It is good for your first ride in San Antonio only so make sure you put the code in first.

• Options
    How much would a Uber or Lyft ride run me from the airport to close to the convention center?

• Options
    jrmtz85jrmtz85 Registered User regular
    How much would a Uber or Lyft ride run me from the airport to close to the convention center?

I've used Uber to get from home to the Pearl and back during the day, and I think its approximately the same distance as the airport to downtown. I averaged about $14.

• Options
    OverlordMastemaOverlordMastema Registered User new member
    Anyone living or willing to meet in an area between Galveston and Houston that had an extra spot to give me a ride there?