As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2015 Steins - EXTRAS ON SALE

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    In regards to where we can meet for pickups, I like the idea of a different location each day, just to spice it up a bit. That way, if you so feel inclined, you can come and meet anyone who wasn't there from a previous day, or just meet up again for a fine brew in our new glassware; obviously this is not a requirement and I wouldn't get offended in the least if you wanted to just grab the glass and get back to precious PAX time. What do you guys think?

If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all ears. I'd recommend a place where they wouldn't mind us using the glass, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Suppose we did get all of this together, should we:
    1. use the same logo/print as the previous one?
    2. have them all shipped to Boston and people meet up to get their piece(s)?
    3. setup a GoFundMe once we get a list together so that it is all pre-paid?

I've looked through some places and it seems like they only ship to one place, so #2 I guess is the only way to do it. If we go through with this, I guess we'd all have to vote on what type of "stein" to order. Obviously we can't go into crazy mode with the limited time we have.

- Design looks good and classy, keep it!
    - Pint glass (voted already)
    - I'm in for 3 (form filled out already)
    - Shipping them to a single address is fine if it makes everyone's life easier, well maybe not yours....

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Meeting at a bar/pub sounds good. I'm happy to pick this up anywhere within a mile of south station or the BCEC b/c I'll be walking :P

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Two years ago when we had the steins the Westin let us use them at the Pre-PAX gaming night. I would suggest that being the primary pick up point.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Ju~onJu~on Registered User new member
    I'd like to throw my name in for one as well. Seconding the Pre-Pax gaming night as an ideal pickup location as well. This will by my third Pax, but my first trying to participate in some of the outside activities, and this was definitely one of the events my friends and I wanted to attend.

• eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it worked well at the Pre-PAX gaming night. I think they also had one of the organizers announce via a twitter handle where you could pick them up at various points during the weekend if I remember correctly.

0j92muX.png
    Voted pint, because I know if the stein is not exactly the same as the one I already own I will go BANANAS.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
    edited January 2015
    Sorry for the lack of any updates. I've been pretty sick lately.

Thanks for everyone showing an interest in this. The voting for Pint vs. Stein is coming to an end shortly, so if you want your voice heard, please submit your response here! I'll post the results on Friday.

I'm currently seeing a tally of 53 glasses right now. That's a pretty good number and I'm positive that number will go up. After a final count at the end, I'll probably increase total in order to get the best deal. I'm also certain that some people may want more. When I get a pricing on the glasses, you can feel free to increase/decrease your total request and I can make the adjustments.

I have not attended Pre-PAX gaming night before, but since a good portion of you are saying that would be a good meeting place, I'll look into doing that. Keep in mind that I plan to have a meeting place for each day of PAX so that everyone has a chance to get their steins.

Le_Goat on
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Another suggestion that might work well for pickup @Le_Goat‌...using the pre-established forum/community events. The Pre-PAX game night at the Westin is a great point to get a lot of people (you might not get much gaming done during this though). There's always other organized events as well. The Magical Mystery Tour, Dinner, International Food Exchange, etc are all spread out over the weekend and are always a good way to gather forumers who might want to pick theirs up then.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    I like the idea from @gigabrain‌ I know I'll be at Pre-PAX gaming, and I could be available to meet up with you prior to and collect glasses for anyone who selects to go to PPG as well (or even if they are just staying in the Westin and want to pop by).
    Once glasses arrive, we can put up a few location options and people can just sign up and list how many glasses they are picking up.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Tankard I would buy, glass I would not... I am just a picky old fart I guess

ishtra wrote: »
    I like the idea from @gigabrain‌ I know I'll be at Pre-PAX gaming, and I could be available to meet up with you prior to and collect glasses for anyone who selects to go to PPG as well (or even if they are just staying in the Westin and want to pop by).
    Once glasses arrive, we can put up a few location options and people can just sign up and list how many glasses they are picking up.

I know that @punzie‌ did distribution in the past, maybe she has suggestions as well? And cookies?

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    edited January 2015
    Edit: let me think about this before posting

Le_Goat on
  • RappakRappak Registered User regular
    I'd order again. They are really nice.

• sniper_kingsniper_king Registered User regular
    id prolly get 1 or 2

Dolarrah wrote: »
    Tankard I would buy, glass I would not... I am just a picky old fart I guess
    This is something I've been thinking about, because I've also heard someone say that if the tankard didn't somewhat match their other tankards, they'd go nuts.

I think it's safe to say that whatever receives the majority of the answers is the style we will go with. The reason why I can't simply say "let's just do both" is because there is a setup cost associated with each order. Some places do it based on lumps of a specific number (per set of 24, per set of 36) while others have just one giant setup cost ($200 for setup cost for whatever number you want).

Now if later on when I start getting good pricings, I may just find a place where we can do both while still minimizing the cost per unit. That's a big MAY, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I really don't want anyone to feel like they're getting left out if the style they want isn't chosen, but we'll need to keep the process simple and go with what the majority are interested in.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Just a suggestion, but for the image @yamara added a 'Welcome Home' banner to the top of the design when we made the Community Lapel pins that I think balances the design and looks great. This is the mock up for the pin, but I am sure @yamara can post the basic file.

paxcomm_2013-lapel-draft1.png

IhtGIyi.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    ...when we made the Community Lapel pins...

There were lapel pins!?! I need to stop being such a hermit.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    Just a suggestion, but for the image @yamara added a 'Welcome Home' banner to the top of the design when we made the Community Lapel pins that I think balances the design and looks great. This is the mock up for the pin, but I am sure @yamara can post the basic file.
    While I do like the design a lot, it's more complex than the original image, especially given the addition of a fourth color. We're currently using black, blue, and red. Adding grey is going to increase the production cost. I'm not certain by how much, though.

Okay... sooooooooo the results are in and I'm not too sure what to do:
    epvywrmrnqy9.png
    As you can see for the chart, we're at a dead even tie. *facepalm* I need more tea before I try to figure out how to handle this, lol.

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Okay... sooooooooo the results are in and I'm not too sure what to do:
    epvywrmrnqy9.png
    As you can see for the chart, we're at a dead even tie. *facepalm* I need more tea before I try to figure out how to handle this, lol.

Drink a pint out of a tankard and the answer will become clear.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    At this point, with such an even split- go with the one YOU personally want?

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    gigabrain wrote: »
    ...when we made the Community Lapel pins...

There were lapel pins!?! I need to stop being such a hermit.

In the immortal words of Teri Hatcher "They're real, and they're spectacular"
    qWjHQltl.jpg?2

I plan to post a thread soon and see if there is interest in producing another run of them for the people who missed out the first time/ have joined the community since then.

While I do like the design a lot, it's more complex than the original image, especially given the addition of a fourth color. We're currently using black, blue, and red. Adding grey is going to increase the production cost. I'm not certain by how much, though.

As I said before, the image I posted was the mock up for the pin just for an idea of how it looked, not the basic image you would use for the glass print.
    There would be no extra color, the only change to the picture you posted would be the addition of the top banner with "Welcome Home" in the same colors as the bottom banner.

Essentially, the dark gray & outline would be removed & the light gray would be black. It may be too late in the game to use this image as @yamara would need to post the file for use, but I just wanted to make sure you knew it would be the same image with the same colors, just a banner added at the top.

IhtGIyi.png
    At this point, with such an even split- go with the one YOU personally want?
    If we went that route, it'd be the tankard. I have plenty of pint glasses, but hardly any "Grr, I'm a Viking" glasses.

• z silver1984z silver1984 Geek Dad Newport MaineRegistered User regular
    I am Pro Viking glasses!

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The great part about being in charge?
    In the event of a tie, you get the deciding vote!

edited January 2015
    Well I guess with all that said, we'll be going tankards. I'll be specing out styles and posting them up here around Monday so we can start taking votes on them. I've seen some options that we're going to total avoid, like color of the glass or color of the bottom of the glass to give a hue, etc. Those are way too specific/personalized and would completely drive people away (e.g., I don't want an orange mug). We're going to stick with clear glass.

It appears that most vendors have somewhat of a breaking point where the pricing per unit drops off by a crazy amount. For instance, 71 units is around $12.50 a glass where 72 units is $8.75 a glass. Obviously the more that is ordered, the better deal we'll get. More details to come.

NOTE: I am new at collecting funds online. If anyone has a recommendation of a site that you have had or know of good experiences with, let me know. None of the sites I have seen offer ordering like they do with the Challenge Coins, so we'll need to collect the money up front from a site and pass the funds through to the vendor.

Le_Goat on
    I'm trying out GoFundMe for the first time with the challenge coins, I know there's a few fees they'll take, and their payment service will take a small percentage too.
    But it was suggested as the way to go for a few of our other community projects.

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    gigabrain wrote: »
    I know that @punzie‌ did distribution in the past, maybe she has suggestions as well? And cookies?

I did 1 distribution time each day (Thursday through Sunday), at a predetermined time, always on the mezzanine of the Westin (where most of the gaming space is).

Having a different location everyday adds room for error (getting lost, people forgetting which spot is that day, etc). Even though I posted the location far in advance and I thought it was somewhere 95% of people would be able to find!I still got lots of last minute tweets/posts asking where it was.
    Most people will tell you they'll be there at a certain time, but pax happens. People get distracted. Lexicongrrl did hour-long meet ups and told me it was mostly a waste of her time. I shortened it to 30-minute blocks and still had times I was just sitting there wishing I could be paxing. Making it at a pub could make it more fun, but you're not only excluding the younger crowd from getting theirs, you're also taking more time from pax. For some people, the less time away from pax, the better. And you WILL have people who never pick them up. I still have a few leftover because I wasn't able to contact some people, even after pax.
    Glass is heavy. And fragile. Even though I run the MMT and did the steins, I still didn't let people pick them up on the MMT. Lexicongrrl distributed from her car in a parking lot near WSCC, and is monopolized a bellhop cart all weekend to take them from my room to the mezzanine and back again.
    Thursday gamenight is when you'll be able to offload the most glasses all at once. Cookie brigade usually has a table, and since I'm already working that, I was able to distribute them from there (I think I actually employed help that night so I could go to ppd, but memory is fuzzy). I might be able to do that for you this year, but it won't know for sure until later. Also, the Westin was super cool and let people fill their glasses for a reduced price.
    Lexicongrrl and I both offered shipping and packaged-for-shipment options. The first allows for people who aren't attending this pax to order, the second means people can pick it up and not have to worry about how to pack it to fly home. I watched several people who asked for the packaged-to-option pick up their glasses, tear open the box, trash it, and walk off with the naked glass. It was their wasted money I guess, but it still irked me.
    Also, when people see you with boxes of things, you'll inevitably get plagued by "are you giving out free stuff," "I dunno what it is but I want one," "I didn't buy one, can I have one anyway," people just reaching in to take one out, asking to look at one and faking running away with it, and other annoyances. I'm not saying bring a taser, but just be ready for a bit of dickishness.

And yes, Giga, I will have cookies.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm a bit late, I'll take three. Just signed up via the Google form.

mindflare77 on
    8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    How much are the pins ?, HOLY CRAP I LOVE EM. What is the minimum run how much is a minimum run and how quick is the turn around ?

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    gonna be not getting one since we went with this and not the pint maybe next year

Despite my minor preference for pint glass, these still look cool!! I'm in :) if the price works, I'll buy 2 if they end up being $9 each, otherwise I'm in for 1. Thanks for doing all this work :D

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the work, can't wait to vote on a design!

I... do not know if this will be worth me going crazy every time I see the steins next to each other. I will have to see the final design!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    I love my stein, but have no need of another. For everyone who doesn't have one, I strongly recommend them.

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Yeah if it's the same design I'll probably be passing on the stein as well. Like Ilta said though the steins are amazing and if you're even remotely interested it is well worth it.

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    I knew that there were going to be people who would opt out whenever the choice was made, regardless of the chosen style. I apologize that we can't accommodate everyone, but appreciate you guys being cool about it.

I'm crazy slammed at work today with application migrations and prep for this month's Patch Tuesday, so I may not get the style options posted today. I'll do what I can for you fine folks.

edited January 2015
    Okay, so here are four examples that I thought worked decently. There are others, but they get a bit too fancy, me thinks. Take a look at them and just give me some quick impressions on what you like, dislike, or would like to see. This isn't official voting. I want to get some input before getting to the voting part.

Sample 1: It's a pretty basic tankard, nothing fancy (15 oz.)
    g9gibe3mv6x0.png

Sample 2: A little more stylish with the bent handle and the star-cut glass bottom (15.oz)
    20awpruxcc48.png

Sample 3: A barrel-styled body, simply handle with a thumb grip. This will be shorter but wider than the others (16 oz.)
    n7ilugesofhl.png

Sample 4: A combination of all three. Basic tall tankard with star-cut bottom, arching handle with thumb grip (16 oz.)
    y3txzn5gkxdq.png

There are bigger (24 oz.) and smaller (11.5 oz.) ones, as well as others that made the entire logo just look silly, but I'm just saying that there are other options if you would like to see them.

Le_Goat on
    Sample #3 is a thing of beauty.
    Sample #4 looks to have the least sturdy base of the bunch.
    #1 and #2 I have no comments about.
    I will admit to being curious about the 24 oz. ones.