As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South Cosplay!

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Guys, sorry I'm little late to the party but I want to remind you the PAX South costume rules regarding prop weapons.

PAX ATTENDEE COSTUME WEAPON POLICY
    The official policy is as follows:

A COSTUME WEAPON IS *NOT* PERMITTED AT PAX IF:

- It fires or can fire any sort of projectile. {Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and can not fire)

This includes bows as well if the bow string can be pulled back under tension.

- It is airsoft, even if deactivated

- It's sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce such as a Little Sister syringe made of wood.

Please note that, Little Sister syringes that are made of wood are not allowed (if the tip is sharp) because you can accidentally poke someone, especially in the Expo hall. If the syringe part is made of rubber instead or the end is blunted it would be totally acceptable.

Arrows are only allowed if they are blunt, no real arrows with a sharp end are allowed, no wooden arrows with a pointy tip are allowed.

Bats are allowed as long as you don't go around hitting people with em. "Bats are ok. Don't be a dick with them."

PEACE BONDING AT CON FOR COSTUME WEAPONS

There will be a Weapons Check booth next to the Info Desk. It will be staffed by enforcers from 1 hour prior to the show to the close of Expo Hall. All attendees who have costume weapons will be directed there. The Security Management Team will also be checking the exterior line and the expo line before the doors open to alleviate any delay for people who show up before the show opens.

Anyone who has a costume weapon needs to be verified. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Attendees whose weapons are allowed will have to show that they have been checked and Ok'd. If an attendee's weapon is approved they will receive a zip tie. Please note that zip ties will be placed on the prop in an area of your choice. It must remain secure but it can be in an area that can be covered for photos.

If you bring something in that's not allowed or not approved you will be politely required to leave, stow the offending item in your vehicle/hotel room/etc, and then return.

• Options
    Tesla RangerTesla Ranger BCRegistered User regular
    I have a toy cap gun (the sort of $5 thing you'd pick up on the cheap toy aisle) that I'd like to include in my outfit. It's obviously not a real gun on a second glance and doesn't fire anything but cap guns don't seem to be addressed anywhere in the regs. I don't figure on bringing any caps to a convention but I can see how cap guns might be a thing rules-wise. Is there a way to confirm whether or not cap guns are ok before I get to the Weapons Check booth?

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    There is no longer a restriction on what a toy gun looks like. As long as it doesn't fire anything (like a functional nerf gun) or isn't airsoft its allowed.

It still must be checked at the check booth.

A cap gun should be fine as long as you have no caps.

The best way to interpret the regs is: If it isn't specifically banned then it's ok. Don't be sharp, don't be so pointy you can actually pierce, don't be able to shoot (including functional bows) don't be airsoft (working or not)

AaronC on
  • Options
    Tesla RangerTesla Ranger BCRegistered User regular
    Shiny! Thanks

• Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    My husband and I are planning on going as Kratos and Zelos from Tales of Symphonia. We need to get our acts together and get going on the costumes to get them ready in time...

• Options
    AviendhaAviendha Registered User regular
    I have decided on a concept art version of Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins. I love what they did with Morrigan for Inquisition but my sewing skills are not at ball gown level yet. I may also do Lara Croft (newest version) for one of the days. I did her at Pax Prime this year and it was a lot of fun.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Not definite but I am leaning towards cosplaying for the first time and plan to be a member of the Night's Watch (with stuffed direwolf in tow if possible)

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Does PAX typically have any cosplay competition? or just tons of people walking around in rad costumes?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    There are no real competitions. I have heard companies may do things if you dress as characters in their games but I have not seen it and nothing official. Mostly just people doing it because they want to.

• Options
    maribelmaribel Fujoshi TexasRegistered User new member
    It's looking like I might be Otacon since it's a little too chilly for Meryl in January and all my MGS cosplay guns are airsoft.

• Options
    HearthsingerHearthsinger Actor/Writer NYCRegistered User regular
    Possibly bringing my Hanna costume from Daughters of the Eyrewood, but might go for a Star Wars project instead.

• Options
    Amoeba Amoeba Registered User regular
    I'm cosplaying as Junpei from 999 and the Log Lady from Twin Peaks. I'm going for minimal normal clothes cosplay for comfort.

• Options
    spidermonkeyCosplayspidermonkeyCosplay Registered User new member
    hey guys, I'm thinking of dressing up as Scorpion from MK, or just trying to design/make/stress over making a new cosplay. I havent played LoL yet, but have played WoW forever... just dont think I would have the time to make an outfit that i would be proud to wear... anyone else thinking of going as any MK characters? i have some other cosplays, but most are anime or GoT related...lol

• Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    Amoeba wrote: »
    I'm cosplaying as Junpei from 999

AWESOME! That's such a niche game, we rarely see cosplayers from it. I really hope my husband and I run in to you so we can get pics!

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I'm not a cosplayer at all, but I think I'd like to dip my toe in the water...I just can't figure out what Tycho from RSPD is rocking in the facial hair dept. Are those budding mutton jops or just sideburns? Gabriel's are obviously a rockin set of chops.

• Options
    NotNobodyNotNobody Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    (Young) Professor Xavier or Malcolm Reynolds?

NotNobody on
  • Options
    PvPCosplayPvPCosplay LouisianaRegistered User regular
    PvPCosplay wrote: »
    I will be featuring crossplay of Tyrant Swain from League of Legends and MAYBE the Reminates of the Lich Costume from Guild Wars
    My husband will be in his Brolaf from League of Legends and Ole Gregg from The Mighty Boosh.

We look forward to seeing everyone, our League costume will be on Saturday!

There is some changes to my line up!
    Friday I will be Silent Night Sona from League of Legends
    Saturday I will be Judgement Recolor Draenei Paladin with ether Hersir's Greatspear or Black Ice.

• Options
    DuckSeasonDuckSeason Registered User regular
    Planning on going Saturday in my Super Mario costume from Halloween. This will be my first time doing anything resembling "cosplaying" on a day outside of Halloween.

This is also my first gaming convention.

This is also my first PA Forum post. Lots of firsts going on over here.

• Options
    TraithTraith Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    Planning on going Saturday in my Super Mario costume from Halloween. This will be my first time doing anything resembling "cosplaying" on a day outside of Halloween.

This is also my first gaming convention.

This is also my first PA Forum post. Lots of firsts going on over here.

Something, something, bowl of cherries...

Anyway, Welcome to the PAX family!

South 2015 Status: [✓] 3-Day Badges [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Time Off [ready] Liver

Attendee:
    Prime: '13
    South: '15
  • Options
    KioKio MechaCon Cosplay Coordinator MississippiRegistered User new member
    So far my line-up is:

Yrel from World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
    Either Riven or Guqin Sona from League of Legends ( To be determined based on finacial situation )

PvP Cosplay and our whole group of friends are super excited for this! It's mine and PvP cosplay's birthday present to go to Pax South haha!

• Options
    lindocalrissianlindocalrissian Registered User new member
    Hello,
    I am a media photographer for a local publication, my editor is currently going through the necessary steps to acquire my credentials however, I also applied for another publication will this cause a conflict with my credentials? This year I have shot all the major conventions....its been awesome. P.S. I would be more then happy to set up meet ups if you want me to shoot your costumes.
    ~Lando:" [to Leia] You look absolutely beautiful. You truly belong here with us among the clouds. "

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't think we can answer any questions about media credentials here, that's all handled by reed afaik. Best bet is to send them an email, which I think is pax_media@paxsite.com but I'm not 100% sure.

• Options
    BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    ....if I can manage it, I will do a borderlands cosplay of a character that is an NPC. She had a small part, but I pinned her a long time ago and think PAX South would be a great time to make her/debut her :)

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • Options
    laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    I usually dress up as a white mage. If I feel particularly exciting, I might bust out my red mage costume, too (complete with silly feathered hat). Looking forward to seeing some awesome costumes :D

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
  • Options
    JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'll be bringing my Zora Armor and Bloodfang Armor costumes on down to San Antonio.

Jindrax on
  • Options
    LadyMicheleLadyMichele Registered User new member
    I'm bringing a Destiny Titan with (pray to the cosplay gods) the sword of Crota and a fallout 3 vault dweller :)

• Options
    ChocorokoChocoroko ZU Video Editor Denton, TXRegistered User regular
    I was planning to go as Little Mac, overused, amright? But time just got the better of me, so I scrapped the idea aside. But I'm dying to see the cosplay from everyone else!

• Options
    apocalypticashapocalypticash Seattle-ishRegistered User regular
    I started this thread with a lineup of a bunch of crazy shit, and unfortunately none of it will happen. That's what I get for being over-ambitious, right?

I WILL have a new Gaige skin though, from Borderlands 2 and maaaaaybe Athena from Borderlands TPS, depending on how I feel about fixing/altering stuff, then shipping it to my hotel or friend's house. We'll see.

See you all in a few weeks!

• Options
    mickey159 mickey159 Registered User new member
    I'll be going as kirito from sword art online :D I have a sheik cosplay but idk where i put all the cloth bandages. ^_^

• Options
    xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    Im thinking about doing David Young from D4 but im not sure it would translate well. It is pretty normy looking, unless I did the AVAAAAAAAANT_GAAAAAARDE outfit... which might border too much lol.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Options
    Almost done with Chromie from World of Warcraft. Still some work to do in the staff and a few details but it should definitely be done in time! I would love to find a photographer to shoot with if anyone is interested in shooting either Friday or Saturday!
    h8l8jqh8qcsy.jpg

kxrsl90k1lmd.jpg
    66gv48jeltqw.jpg
    7zh0gi731dsa.jpg
    uka1rh6w95em.jpg
    nhneg4ls4rws.jpg

• Options
    PirateRejectPirateReject Registered User regular
    My Dragon Age Inquisitor, or Cullen from Dragon Age; Inquisition if I complete it in time :)

• Options
    CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    That looks awesome! I decided not to cosplay, as I'm terrified of not meeting the standards I want to hit (you know, straight seams--lol). I'm eager to see what everyone else does! Y'all's costumes look amazing. ^_^

• Options
    Standards, schmandards, Cyberfey! Everyone starts somewhere! I have learned a lot in the last year and my goal is always to do better than the costume before.

• Options
    MidanMidan Registered User regular
    I'm having to remake one of my eggs and I am still putting the finishing touches on to my bucket. Otherwise my costume is ready to go! So excited I can't wait for these two weeks to pass. :)

• Options
    So I'm pretty much on hand sewn details for my Chromie costume and I'm definitely all done with my staff. Now my big concern is where to put my money... I used to be able to rely on my ex for that but now I'm realizing that I'm going to need a new system. My armor is so bulky that carrying a bag really isn't an option. Any ideas?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So I'm pretty much on hand sewn details for my Chromie costume and I'm definitely all done with my staff. Now my big concern is where to put my money... I used to be able to rely on my ex for that but now I'm realizing that I'm going to need a new system. My armor is so bulky that carrying a bag really isn't an option. Any ideas?
    If your mace has a hollow handle, you could put cash in there (if you are very confident you can make it secure). Or sew a small pouch inside somewhere.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    MidanMidan Registered User regular
    You could sew a little pouch in the black straps or you could get one of those straps that runners use. They wrap around your arm or leg and have a zippered pouch for keys or cards and cash. They have a couple in walmart, some in the athletic section and some in the electronics next to the iPod cases.

• Options
    All great ideas! Thanks guys!

• Options
    RanChan03RanChan03 Registered User regular
    So after seeing the various cosplays that people are doing, Hi btw, I will be doing, HOPEFULLY getting done, Eiga Dorobou.
    For those that don't know who that is :) it's this guy
    http://cdn.akihabaranews.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Bandai_NoMoreEigaDorobou_main.jpg

The movie thief mascot that is at the beginning of a lot of japanese movies in the theaters saying don't steal movies :)