As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    I am up to the final boss.

Holy hell is this an obnoxious, annoying slog.

I beat the final boss in 3 turns :/

'___'

It'd be helpful if I didn't have to waste seven CPs per turn killing respawning towers and laying down smoke

And if he didn't get healed every turn

And if sniper bullets didn't bounce off his face harmlessly

I got five turns in, saved, and haven't gone back yet
    You'll want to save the sniper for the far away towers.

When he was vulnerable I spammed flamethrowers from Rosie and Lynn and that seemed to take him down pretty fast.

Edit: Spoilered in case someone new to the game wants to puzzle out the final fight.

Karoz on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    I am up to the final boss.

Holy hell is this an obnoxious, annoying slog.

I beat the final boss in 3 turns :/

'___'

It'd be helpful if I didn't have to waste seven CPs per turn killing respawning towers and laying down smoke

And if he didn't get healed every turn

And if sniper bullets didn't bounce off his face harmlessly

I got five turns in, saved, and haven't gone back yet
    You'll want to save the sniper for the far away towers.

When he was vulnerable I spammed flamethrowers from Rosie and Lynn and that seemed to take him down pretty fast.

Edit: Spoilered in case someone new to the game wants to puzzle out the final fight.
    the towers should take 3cp, 2 shocktroopers and a sniper for the far one.
    He's very vulnerable in the back, but one hit and he'll turn to face you, so use snipers, flamethrowers, and lancers. I also like an all units defend order.
    If you do it right it only takes 2 or 3 turns.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    This game amuses me to no end. Just ran up to someone and unloaded a magazine into their back?

TIME FOR A SELFIE AND A ONE LINER!

Makes me smile every time. So, uh, I guess I smile a lot. Its great.

It does amuse me when you take someone like Nancy, the most adorable girl ever, and have her run up behind someone and shoot them in the head. And then she's all like "Yaaaaay! I killed a man!"

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    am31sco.jpg

Also spoilers for final boss
    I used lancers to take out the closest towers (I was using Largo and Audrey but that's just preference) and had Welkin hit the furthest tower with Edelweiss (I had the best cannon on Edelweiss, it is a beast - also firing calculator to boost accuracy)

Once he was vulnerable, I triggered unlock potential and ran Rosie and Alicia up to Max to burn his ass with Rosie's stolen flamethrower that was still better than any grade of flamethrower I researched, then popped him in the head with Alicia's badass rifle from the scout challenge (holy shit that thing is broken, only Selvaria's Ruhm is worse)

I disabled all of the towers in my first turn. Then all Max did was reactivate three of them in his turn and skulk around in a huff. It was pretty easy to whoop him after that.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Yeah, pretty much like that!

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    *PANTING*

OMG you guys I was just at the last thread and saw it closed and i totally started to cry...

DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT.

So now the reason I came here:

Playing the PS3 version again rather than buying the PC version and man does this game make me want to play VC2... but i don't want to buy a Vita... does anyone know if VC2 is PSTV compatible?

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    VC2 isn't all that worth it...

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    So what's with the Vsync on this game? If I turn it on the game speed drops like a brick. The framerate is just as high it's just in slow motion. Also I'm not seeing any anti-aliasing options. Is there a work around anyone knows about?

• Options
    hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    So what's with the Vsync on this game? If I turn it on the game speed drops like a brick. The framerate is just as high it's just in slow motion. Also I'm not seeing any anti-aliasing options. Is there a work around anyone knows about?

The only way I could resolve the framerate/v-sync problem was running the game in windowed mode. It's not too bad, after a while I could ignore the Windows title bar and border. There are third-party programs that can turn a windowed game into borderless full-screen window mode.

For anti-aliasing, try overriding the application settings in the Nvidia/AMD control panel.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I got this gifted to me during the Steam Sale, and oh my gosh it is so pretty.

Another testament to style over more polygons.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I got this gifted to me during the Steam Sale, and oh my gosh it is so pretty.

Another testament to style over more polygons.

The 'storybook' like filter over the animation and gameplay really works well for the series.

It's amazing how such a simple effect does so much.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Its a crime that this engine was never used for any other games.

Also I should really get round to finishing this, I'm pretty sure I'm within a couple of missions of the end; all my classes are elite now and the mission I'm on has a very "penultimate boss" feel to it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's amazing what a graphical powerhouse this game is not. I mean this thing runs on integrated graphics at 720 perfectly.

Behold the true power of sheer art style.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I picked this up during the Steam Winter Sale (had it on my list for a bit longer, but needed to clear my backlog a bit before I allowed myself to buy new stuff).

Only did the prologue yet, but I was very amused to see the map as most of the towns have the names of existing Dutch, Belgian and German towns (even if they are in completely different places). Interesting choice, especially as at least Terneuzen (small town in southwest Netherlands) is on two places on the map.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Man, I forgot how charming this entire game was! The characters are written so damn well, and the story, (though I've not completely finished) is so damn compelling.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Guys. Dilemma.

I got Valkyria Chronicles for Christmas. I've played like 5 hours worth and I know I'm going to get deep, deep into this game.

I'm visiting London right now, and I stumbled across a 50 dollar (yes, dollar, it doesn't show the pound value for some reason) book called "Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive"

It looks pretty boss. I'm a poor student.

Is it worth it????

Edit: I should note that it's sealed. I can't open it in store.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Guys. Dilemma.

I got Valkyria Chronicles for Christmas. I've played like 5 hours worth and I know I'm going to get deep, deep into this game.

I'm visiting London right now, and I stumbled across a 50 dollar (yes, dollar, it doesn't show the pound value for some reason) book called "Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive"

Is it worth it????

Actually the VC Design Archive is the single best video game art book I have, and I've got a few - just picked up Alien Isolation and Dragon Age's last week, in fact. Anyway, the Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive is absolutely huge, shows a ton of the iteration that went in to all the characters, has a ton of stuff on... well, everything.

Yes, get it. If you love VC, get it. It's the pinnacle of gaming art books - no joke.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Buy it NOW

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    The Design Archive is pretty amazing if you're into video game art/design. If I remember correctly, there's also a pretty interesting interview with the development team at the end. I do not regret getting it.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »
    Guys. Dilemma.

Is it worth it????

Actually the VC Design Archive is the single best video game art book I have, and I've got a few - just picked up Alien Isolation and Dragon Age's last week, in fact. Anyway, the Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive is absolutely huge, shows a ton of the iteration that went in to all the characters, has a ton of stuff on... well, everything.

Yes, get it. If you love VC, get it. It's the pinnacle of gaming art books - no joke.

Wow, sold!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The Atelier artbooks are nearly just as good as the VC ones, but man.... I love that both those series' artbooks are filled with character design rough sketches and artist/designer notes everywhere.

• Options
    ikfswzxrbq11.jpg

Sorted.

Now to resist the urge to open the wrap until I finish the game. Be strong, me.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    The VC book is the first time I can ever recall really getting into an artbook. Calling it an artbook is actually selling it short. It goes into encyclopedic detail about basically everything in the in-game codex, and then some; every character, weapon, vehicle, mission map, etc. It's awesome.

Also makes a serviceable blunt weapon in a pinch. Seriously, that thing is huge.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    You should get the artbooks for VC2 and VC3 as well.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    God, I remember the saga of preordering that thing. Years went by with no news bar disgruntled Amazon comments, then it disappeared from the store and gave everyone a heart attack, before reappearing on Amazon a month later with a higher price, then having the price lowered in recompense, before it finally came out.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    My only gripe about this game is that the rating is only and entirely based on speed. No other performance factors apply - basically rewarding you for how degenerative you are with cheesing mechanics.

Snuck one guy across the map (maybe sniping an ace or two for some extra exp/gold along the way) and planted them in on the enemy's flag - the enemy that currently otherwise surrounds and outnumbers you 3-to-1 I might add. I guess that means...they have to leave now...? :?

Well, the game is fun at least, bizarre rules of war aside.

• Options
    I'm at the beginning of the desert mission now. I'm wondering if how rewards for completing missions fast stack up against the rewards for killing enemy elites and tanks. So far I haven't worried about ranking, just using skirmishes to gather that extra money if I don't have enough for all R&D.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    In my experience getting better grades on missions generally give more exp/cash than being thorough and taking out elites and tanks.

But I gave up on trying A ranks after a few missions, I just did my best and that was it. Since they script all the battles to hell and back it means you always has to run through them twice to know how it plays out to A rank them. It's actually my one and only big gripe with the game.

If you have the DLC there's a scout mission you can complete relatively early (as soon as your scout hits LVL 10) which gives a ridiculous amount of exp. Otherwise it's possible to rush through Skirmish 02 in one round and grind that for some good exp as well. Money and exp are abundant after a while in the game so don't worry.

Movitz on
  • Options
    If you wanna make up for the missed exp from not A-ranking, all you have to do is 1-2 turn some of the later side missions a few times.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote: »
    I gave up on trying A-ranks after a few missions, I do my best and that's it. Since they script all the battles to hell and back it means you always has to run through them twice to know how it plays out and react accordingly. It's actually my one and only big gripe with the game.

Then there's the fact that if you want to actually get B or A ranks you have to completely ignore what the game tries to instruct you in doing.

One of the missions for example is the supply base mission they first teach you about mines, and the whole thing plays up about how you should use the tank offensively, watch out for vehicle mines and the lancers guarding the base.

If you want an A or B rank however you're actually never supposed to use the tank at all.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Yeah the speed rank is the thing I found the most annoying in the game. I was hopeful that if they made a second game they would tighten up the strategy mechanics that rewarded you for using combined arms instead actually penalizing you. Oh well.

• Options
    Lucked into an A rank on the second desert mission and indeed it makes a lot of difference XP-wise. Probably because this mission isn't that speedy, you're waiting every time for the enemy.
    After a couple of failed attempts, somehow managed to get a wall between the Valkyrie and my men once I took out the last radiator and had 3 lancers, an engineer and a load of CP to take the tank down. Only casualty was Rosie who was sniped by that Valkyrie from the other side of the map.

• Options
    So I just used Ted to sneak up behind the enemy base and lob a grenade at the scout taking sover there

As he tosses the tool of destruction, what words escape his lips?

"Hi, I'm Ted!"

Kid, you just secured yourself a spot on this team.

• Options
    So I just used Ted to sneak up behind the enemy base and lob a grenade at the scout taking sover there

"Hi, I'm Ted!"

Ted is the best. He's by far my favorite optional squad member. His only negative potential is "Metal Allergy", the rest are all overwhelmingly positive, like Ted himself. He has "Fancies women" and "Fancies men" (although probably not in quite the same way as Jann) giving him frequent accuracy boosts, plus "Show-Off" triggers all the damn time and gives him a defence boost when he needs it most; when lots of enemies are in sight. Plus being a scout his radius of what counts as "in sight" is huge. Ted loves playing to a full house. Plus he's just so damn chipper all the time, although your mileage may vary with that one.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Im so glad I picked up the steam release. This game is fantastic and I wish there were more like it. I loved games like vandal hearts in the PS1 era and its nice to see something like it once again.

• Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

"Hi, I'm Ted!"

Ted is the best. He's by far my favorite optional squad member. His only negative potential is "Metal Allergy", the rest are all overwhelmingly positive, like Ted himself. He has "Fancies women" and "Fancies men" (although probably not in quite the same way as Jann) giving him frequent accuracy boosts, plus "Show-Off" triggers all the damn time and gives him a defence boost when he needs it most; when lots of enemies are in sight. Plus being a scout his radius of what counts as "in sight" is huge. Ted loves playing to a full house. Plus he's just so damn chipper all the time, although your mileage may vary with that one.

My only problem with Ted is that his final skill Ultimate Evade, which is nice but I prefer Double Movement or Full HP Recovery, which is why Aika still beats him out for me. But other than that, he's the bomb.

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's all about Vyse. Always angry, always charging, always shooting.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Jane.

She's the person whose attitude comes closest to the proper role model for videogame WWII player characters.

William "B.J." Blazkowicz.

...I'm now imagining Blazko in this game.

...That T rating just went out the window in a hurry.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Playing through the story, my squad consisted entirely of squad members whose personalities I liked the most, abilities be damned!

• Options
    I haven't really paid attention to the non-officer type characters and have no clue what most abilities do (except for the really obvious ones), but I have put Wendy in a couple of times. Weird how games make you put in somebody who in real life is probably the last person you want on your squad.