As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Experience with Sous Vide?

DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
I'm interested in possibly getting a Sous Vide immersion cooker and was wondering if anyone owned one. I seem to see universal praise, but I was wondering how easy it is to use and what other people's experiences were with it. Does it require a long time to cook? I'm looking at this model currently.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon

• TheZKTheZK Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It's easy enough to use, so long as you have a container or pot that can hold enough water.

Cook time varies with what you're cooking and how large it is; eggs take 30-40 minutes, typical burgers take 1-2 hours, steaks can take anywhere from one hour to twelve hours, depending on how thick it is and what you want to do with it. I don't know if that counts as "a long time" but it's not the right tool if you're in a hurry. Also, keep in mind that access to a grill or cast-iron pan is still required to sear meat afterwards.

I don't personally use it to make vegetables (which go fast) nor larger cuts of meats that take more than, say, 4 hours. But plenty of people do.

Bottom line is that it's a great kitchen tool if you have the money and like kitchen tools.

TheZK on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Tested.com has a lot of discussion about it, if you're not familiar with them.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    TheZK wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind that access to a grill or cast-iron pan is still required to sear meat afterwards.

Or a kitchen torch, if you're some kind of pyro sous vide fanatic.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TheZKTheZK Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind that access to a grill or cast-iron pan is still required to sear meat afterwards.

While some people use torches, the kitchen kind really doesn't throw enough flame to sear a reasonable steak consistently, IMHO. The people who use actual industrial torches have the right idea if no grill or pan is available.

TheZK on
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

the kitchen kind really doesn't throw enough flame

I was paged here based on this comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2P0KNO?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=as2

Thank you and good night.

iRevert on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

the kitchen kind really doesn't throw enough flame

I was paged here based on this comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2P0KNO?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=as2

Thank you and good night.

Bah! Do it right: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LH46N2/

• wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    I've been looking at the Anova One as well. They're kind of the company when it comes to home sous vide right now. If you want an idea of how it is to use, take a look at some recipes and get an idea if that's the sort of thing you're interested in. Kenji over at Serious Eats has a decent number of articles written that might help.

Also the Searzall is such a cool toy and I want one, but definitely not taking the place of a solid cast iron.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Your short term cooking isn't going to amaze you, but you'll be able to perfectly cook tender steaks and chicken breasts. I also think that cast iron searing is the way to go. They're also handy for taking frozen meats right out of the freezer to cook, no defrosting needed.

Where it really shines is tougher cuts of meat where you can cook them to medium rare with long cooks, medium rare 36hr flank steak is amazing. Also, scrambled eggs that are silky smooth that usually require a lot of low heat time and constant stirring on the stove top.