As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ruzkin's Precious Little Art Thread [NSFW]

ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in Artist's Corner
Hey AC, finally got the guts to start my own thread. I've been arting for a long time now, but never with any real sense of drive or will to learn. I thought I wanted to do concept art for a living back in the mid-2000s and even did a four year Industrial Design degree to further that goal, but I didn't put in the hard yards and basically went into a slump from '10 to '13 where I didn't output more than two or three doodles a year. But now, finally, I think I'm getting back on the wagon.

Some older stuff:
spider_jerusalem_goggle_render_by_ruzkin-d4ddy1a.jpg
bulletsuit_girl__for_vamore_by_ruzkin-d5xnigh.jpg
Portraits_18_May_2009_by_ruzkin.jpg
bN3e2Bx.jpg
kQjB2kx.jpg

My current project:

3KUyjeE.jpg
mlf0Gwq.jpg

Critiques are absolutely welcome!

g4OlSIF.jpg
Iruka on

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    There's something about the depth on your characters - all your shading is quite light, so everything ends up looking quite flat.

Draw an egg.
  • kraz007kraz007 Registered User regular
    They remind of some Mother Russia posters I bought in Moscow. They are similarly cut and there's almost no shading.

Riftforge: a free online RPG with fantasy tactics!

468.png

Blogs: Endless Space - galaxy seeds | Diablo 3 duels
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Thanks for the feedback, Halen. I wiped the face entirely and started with some stronger values - are these punchier?

4nELivV.jpg

The rest of the pic (I'll adjust the other values to match those on the face if people think I'm headed in the right direction)

XY9N84o.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Still working on that pic. Redid her face & hand, now spending some time on her clothes & cast shadows.

tumblr_mnjrs7lYUQ1rvzsq5o1_1280.jpg

Also a doodle:

tumblr_mnhhaft3Q61rvzsq5o1_1280.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Not a very smart way to hold a sword.

Ninjas hold their swords however they damn well want.

(I'll fix that.)

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Zero decided on an upgrade. I do question the boots a little on the cheesecake front, even though pop culture does seem to have decided all female assassins wear stilettos.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    Assassins in heels is Borderlands 1 canon:
    IMG_4081.jpg

But yes, taking the tall boots from the photo I reffed from is my one concession to sexing up the character (as opposed to boob-windows in the armour, or something equally ridiculous).

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »
    (as opposed to boob-windows in the armour, or something equally ridiculous).

They be called "condenser vents", its well known and documented that female assassins divert more heat to the chest and groin area than their male counterparts.

The stiletto heals just don't make any sense...

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    When did design change from "shit that looks cool" to " super srs guize it gotta work irl"? If you want to talk about what doesnt make sense why the fuck is she using a sword as a primary weapon in the future against someone with a gun?
    answer? because it looks cool.

imo your critique is selective.

ninjai on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    "looks cool" is kind of unhelpful feedback too, though
    There's a prevailing design thought process where things that look cool should also be a conscious choice. What are some reasons why a character would be dressed this way, or carry this equipment? If it looks cool but I can't visualize it as a working piece of equipment it breaks the immersion of the fantasy a bit.

I feel like the biggest hurdle here is just practice, practice, practice. Try not to fixate on a single piece, try to figure out different ways to approach a composition, whether it is through changing poses, color, and so on. The work looks really stylized which I think can work, but probably won't have the painterly quality I think you want.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    ... it breaks the immersion of the fantasy a bit.

So does equipping a future assassin with a sword instead of a fucking sniper rifle.

I wasn't intending to critique his drawing with "it looks cool" , rather I was saying that design used to be more about how awesome we can make something, rather than is this a real thing that could actually exist. For example, let's think about cloaking in video games. It serves the purpose of getting you in close to someone and using your badass sword in close range. In real life that wouldn't be practical. Snipers would have a cloak instead of camouflage and would assassinate the person FROM RANGE, not up close where their target could gun them down with a shotgun. The proverbial knife in a gunfight.

My point was that the criticism that was given falls flat when taken as part of a whole. I don't think his idea was a realistic design but some badass future science FICTION lady. If you're going to critique functionality, critique the whole thing, not just whatever is popular to hate at the time to retaliate against the mainstream chauvinism.

ninjai on
    Whatever this argument is, its tangential to critiquing the actual art present, don't clog up ruzkin thread with it.

I don't mind the debate on scifi boob-windows. It's just a little unexpected.

Today's 5 min sketches, all from photo ref.

imkS1eV.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Back to daily sketching after a year and a half break. I blame it on university. 10 mins each, single layer to stop myself getting all nitpicky.

kHW2lAZ.jpg

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
    for 10 minute warm ups these aren't bad. The face on the top right seems to be suffering from some construction issues, though. You may want to give your sketches a quick flip during the process.

Thanks Iruka, I've taken your advice for these following sketches (also all 10 mins, from photo). My plan is to keep doing these for a couple of weeks - sets of faces, bodies, clothes, animals and objects - until I feel back in the groove enough to move on to 20 and 30 min pics and extended studies.

duw7x5h59fhl.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    This weeks face and body sketches. As before, 10 mins apiece from photo ref.

xav68lhg624h.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Stuck an NSFW in your title! You may want to stick some more proko-like geometric studies in there with the photo studies. Study the photos and also study your building blocks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EPNYWeEf1U

Thanks @Iruka‌ ! I've also been advised to do a greater number of shorter studies, so I'll experiment with that from tonight onward. Gotta say, you're a champ for leaving so much advice on so many threads.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    As per advice from Iruka and others, I quit the 10 min studies and went back to 5 min sketches in greater quantities. Yesterday was clothes, today was faces with geometric construction. And an owlbear.

vh6k7p0frvlq.jpg
    ujn2o9gmxve0.jpg
    3uwgpllkiurd.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Tonight's speedpaint turned into a longer piece, but I'm pretty happy with the results. About 1.5 hours, from photo ref.

i3xixr7reiwx.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Sketches from the last week and tonight. Iruka's recommendation to work on basic head construction has helped a ton.

cq7oxgblegb3.jpg
    4vjzbkd10slo.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Pay closer attention to the shape of your eyes. It seems like you are sorta getting the idea of the shape, but dont have a clear idea of the lid structure,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-bCgRmcko

They are complex forms, and simplifying them without a good knowledge of how the forms work is going to be difficult. That color speed paint looks like she has weirdly turned out eyelids, and the eyeball itself feels flat.

Thanks Iruka, I'll take your advice and will spend some time specifically on eyeball studies this coming week :) Again, I really appreciate you taking the time for feedback.
    This week - more quick bodies, some perspective landscapes and some hand studies.

2eurtn8hq20n.jpg

6k9bxllz8pxv.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Trying a longer study this week. 20-30 mins per night, about an hour and a half so far.
    56nf419rqp1k.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I'm assuming you're working from a photo-- post your reference up and I'll take a closer look or do a quick paintover.

This kind of study can be really great for bootstrapping your rendering and observation chops, but to get the most benefit you have to try to really nail it. Even without seeing the ref I can tell that you're playing it a little looser than I'd like to see.

edited February 2015
    Thanks Scos, I appreciate your help. My feelings on things so far: I started this as a value study, but got sidetracked and too caught up in making tiny tweaks to get the anatomy exact instead of paying attention to the bloody values. It's also really apparent how little practice I've had with rendering cloth or other complex shapes, so any help there would be amazing.

9wdb6j63b485.jpg

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Killing two birds with one stone by bundling a figure study and a value study together is great for learning, but if you find that you're getting overwhelmed by the juggling then it can be helpful to focus only on a smaller section of your reference.

Quick paintover as promised, I'll try to address each step in the gif below:

ruzpo.jpgruzpo.gif

Here are the biggest issues that grabbed my attention:

1. There's some very over-exaggerated proportions around the hips, at lot of the big shapes are a bit off in general.
    2. The head is very simplified and the portraiture isn't a good likeness of our model.
    3. The values feel a bit crushed in the lightest areas and there's some missed subtlety to the softer forms of the anatomy, which is making things look a bit flat. Particularly noticeable on the torso.

Addressing the proportions, something I do a lot when drawing from observation is to compare the negative shapes made by contours between my drawing and the reference. It's a way to simplify the drawing problem down into comparing relatively simple shapes, rather than considering entire complex structures. For our purposes here, it makes it pretty easy to see that the hips in the study have grown far more full and voluptuous than what we can actually see on our model.

contours.jpg

The first step was just taking a fat brush and reshaping the contours, immediately solving or improving a lot of the drawing problems in one step. You'll notice that I crudely painted over the cloth in this step as well-- mostly I'm just trying to get rid of the linework. I'm not a master of drapery and I don't honestly have a lot to say about it, but I feel that the best approach is to think of it in terms of shapes and masses rather than as a linear problem. The shape of the hair and upper arm also got some tweaking to bring them more in line with our reference.

The next step is mostly softening or reshaping edges and blending values to make our light a little more convincing, or adding in missed details like the subtle abdominal furrow above the navel. This stuff is basic painting chops, paying attention to edge work and understanding how the light is hitting the subject.

At this point I felt that the working value range was a little too narrow, so I took a big soft brush set to multiply and slightly darkened up the entire figure. By pushing things a little darker, we free up some breathing room to create a greater sense of contrast in the lighter areas without necessarily having to resort to brighter values. It's not a strictly necessary step, but it makes things a bit easier on the next step where I'm going back into the lighter areas with an opaque brush and continuing to refine the edges and bring back some of the shapes that got darkened.

Next, I went in and just repainted the whole head as a point of demonstration. Portraiture is a complex matter in its own right and I don't want to dwell, but put briefly the face you drew is pretty clearly mostly invented and not much like the one in the reference. There aren't really any easy tricks here, you just have to observe closely and be a stickler for accuracy. I'm working pretty fast and loose here so even the head I put in is not quite perfect, but hopefully it's good enough to illustrate the difference between your head and the ref. Doing some longer portrait studies is a good way to get better at this and improve your observational skills in general.

The last step is a relatively minor one with some embellishment on the hair, and and developing the cloth a little more.

There are still some unaddressed drawing problems that more careful measuring and accuracy checking would catch, the head is a bit misplaced and the torso is a little bit too short to name a few, but hopefully I've hit the major points with some kind of clarity.

Scosglen on
    Hey Scos,

Serious thankyous for taking so much time to help me out. I don't have any progress on this piece to post yet, but I thought it'd be rude to leave you hanging. There are a whole raft of things for me to work on here - my observational skills first and foremost as well as my attention to detail. You're completely right, the face was mostly invented. What's more damning to me is that the woman's cloth skirt wasn't invented, but side by side with your work it becomes clear that I simply wasn't looking.

So. More training on that.

I also think I'm hurting myself by a) trying to separate values so harshly, and b) by using such basic hard, round brushes for this sort of work (I'm using Clip Studio Paint). They're pushing me towards a harder, more cel-shaded style, which I know has its uses but probably is only holding me back when trying this sort of study.

g4OlSIF.jpg
    So I thought about giving up on that previous piece, seeing as how badly I'd mangled it, but then I decided that quitting was for quitters. So I scrapped the piece and started from scratch, focusing first for about half an hour just on getting the proportions and silhouette right, and then working at a lower res with larger, softer-edged brushes. More looking, less assuming. I think things are going okay, and am preparing to up the res and start with details, but any advice before I move on would be appreciated.

to7v83n3dfjo.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Okay, after two weeks on this pic on and off, I think it's time to wrap up before I get stuck too deep. Finished values, plus a version with some quick colour thrown on top. Would rather dive straight into painting in colour next time, but we'll see if I'm ready for it.

xwpy4540z7l7.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    No painting this week, just photoshoppery. Building a complete set of ebook covers for my espionage thriller series. Took me faaar longer than anticipated (like, almost a full week of 9-5), but hey, it's done.

nwdnjymaf299.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Where'd the model/stock come from? For the ones where she has a black eye, unless they are on the same timeline its a little weird that they are all the same mark. A little variation would go a long way.

I commissioned the photoshoot from a photographer/model duo on Deviantart. They did all the wound makeup, but unfortunately used the same makeup across multiple costume/weapon combos. It is pretty glaring when all the covers are side by side, but less so when you're looking at individual books.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • OllieOllie Registered User regular
    I think they look pretty cool!

You maybe able to wipe it down a little in photoshop to some effect, but you are right that it wouldnt be to obvious if the books were separated on like amazon or something.

The only other suggestion would be to standardize as much of the text placement as you can. Your name could be in the same size in the same place on all of them without any ill effect, compositionally.

...as soon as you mention that, it becomes glaringly obvious. I'll standardise the text placement as much as possible and reupload to Amazon. Thanks @Iruka and @Ollie !

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Back to the sketching after a couple months off thanks to uni work. A few nudes, and a few noses.

v9xyrgjmzi82.jpgmwedbttw23fj.jpg

g4OlSIF.jpg
    Nice to see you back at it!

Are you generally working at a super small resolution? Seems like you have a lot of messy, choppy strokes, and I'm not sure if perhaps you have a super small tablet or some other limitations that may be working against you on that.