As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What can I do about this cough?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
I know the ultimate answer is "go to the doctor" which I am working on doing today if possible (just moved here, dunno what's open on the weekend and not keep to go to a hospital), but I'm looking for some kind of magical panacea if anyone has any ideas for me. I'd also like your layman opinion on what I've put my body through and whether or not I am feeling worse than I am because of all the crap that happened this week.

Long story short: I woke up Tuesday pretty damn sick. I thought this was probably because I ran from 33rd and 6th to 42nd and 8th in about 9 minutes with my coat half open in the freezing cold - I had to catch a bus to a birthday party. I'm not what you would call "athletic" or "in shape" or "aerodynamic" so that was a painful sprint, and then I spent 10-15 minutes barely able to breathe after that. So I wasn't terribly surprised that I felt weak, with a massive headache, cough, fever, and runny nose the next day.

Luckily (or unluckily, depending on your point of view), my vacation was through Wednesday, so I had two extra days to rest. I pretty much felt terrible through Thursday morning, though minutely better as time passed.

Thursday I went to work for an hour and a half and got sent home lest I be patient zero at my job (not that others aren't sick, but I looked and felt like shit). Unfortunately, due to other circumstances and with no notice whatsoever, I had to move all my stuff out of my old apartment into my new apartment - my deadline was Friday. So I ended up exerting a lot of effort Thursday night, moving about 15 heavy boxes and bags from one apartment to another, almost entirely by myself.

On Friday, I decided I needed a PTO day so I took another day off. My boss knew I wasn't feeling well AND needed to complete my move so he was on board with me taking a day off. On Friday, I ended up moving the rest of my stuff by myself, in the snow. I had to make two trips and it was about 20 heavy boxes/bags in total.

I have been unable to sleep consistently over the last four nights. The first night (Tuesday), I basically hallucinated for 14 hours straight thanks to the fever. The next night, I didn't even get to bed until Midnight. I was able to sleep but I slept funny and my arm has been killing me since then. Thursday, my cough kept me awake all night. Same as last night - it's a rather violent, loud, and painful cough.

I've been stuffing myself with cough drops and taking Advil Cold & Sinus as sparingly as I can, which gives me temporary relief, but it's fleeting at best and doesn't seem to help me sleep through the night.

So, anyway, am I just weak from all the exertion this week of moving and so I haven't been able to naturally heal properly? Do I really need to go to the doctor here, or does anyone have any other recommendations for dealing with this damned cold/cough?

I'm worried because everyone keeps talking about the flu and all this.

I really hate going to the doctor.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    Okay, that was a long post. I apologize for it - I wanted to write it out to make sure I remembered the timeline in case I get to the doctor's today and need to relay this to him.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Sounds like the flu that has been going around because my wife had similar symptoms. Just go to urgent care and get your hydrocodone cough syrup/antibiotics.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    What Phasen said

Feel better soon!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Sounds like flu to me. Doctor to get checked out seems sensible if you're suffering this badly but I strongly suspect they'll be able to do nothing more than treat the cough symptoms a bit until you get better by yourself.
    Phasen wrote: »
    Flu ... antibiotics.

NO

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Well. I'm gonna go to the urgent care facility anyway I guess. I feel miserable.

• Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'm worried in could be bronchitis or pneumonia or something, I dunno.

• Options
    Well that's what the Doctor's visit is for. They'll listen to your lungs to see if anything is gurgling deep in there.

But the official NHS advice for when they want to see a persistent cough is three fucking weeks. Coughs are buggers and hang around but rarely indicate anything particular egregious on their own.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Sounds like flu to me. Doctor to get checked out seems sensible if you're suffering this badly but I strongly suspect they'll be able to do nothing more than treat the cough symptoms a bit until you get better by yourself.
    Phasen wrote: »
    Flu ... antibiotics.

NO

I aint no doctor but this is what my wife was prescribed. Maybe it wasnt the flu.

• Options
    http://www.flu.gov/symptoms-treatment/treatment/

Seems pretty standard if your flu has progressed enough that they will give you antibiotics.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Antibiotics have no effect on viruses and flu is a virus. What you can get in some cases is a secondary bacterial pneumonia piggy-backing off the damage the flu has done to your lungs.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Eh this is a dumb back and forth not worth pursuing. Glad drez is going to urgent care.

Phasen on
  • Options
    It's not a dumb back and forth, it's science!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So I'm back. The doctor told me it was a cute bronchitis. I was deeply offended, punched him, and ran out of the office screaming "there's nothing cute about it!"

But seriously, he prescribed an inhaler - Albuterol - and recommended Mucinex. I've Albuteroled myself so far and I'll Mucinex myself in a minute.

My blood pressure was super high again. Then at the end of the visit, it dropped - still a bit high but not Danger Zone high. He banned me from using psuedophedrine for life - he said I seem to be very sensitive to it and it's blood-pressure-raising side effects.

He said antibiotics wouldn't work. He said my lungs were clear and it seems entirely viral and that antibiotics wouldn't work because it's not bacterial.

He also said cough medicine wouldn't work, which made me go D: because holy shit I need to sleep at some point. The cough may persist for 2-3 weeks. Ugh.

Anyway, thanks for the help/advice.

• Options
    Bam! Right on the money.

Stay well and take it easy.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've been there with the coughing so bad you can't sleep.

If it's a high throat cough you can at knock down the pain some with Chloraseptic spray, it numbs it a bit.

I've also had good results with Theraflu, drunk just before bed, but I'm not sure they actually make it anymore.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I have these decent cough drops literally called Cloraseptic so I'm assuming it's similar to the spray you are recommending?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I've dealt with a lot of bad cough/chest colds over my life.

for sleeping try and keep yourself propped up into a half-siting position with some extra pillows, lying down flat will make the coughing happen more often. and try some hot decaf tea while in bed, the heat can help to reduce coughing a bit.

you can try and knock yourself out a bit with some gravol or antihistamines if those have the drowsy side-effect on you. That's pretty much what the theraflu or similar hot tea drug things are, pain med+antihistamine+psuedophedrine+cough suppressant. But if your banned from using psuedophedrine, and the cough suppresant won't work on your broncitis, then you just need the sleep aid part.

Other then that it just sorta sucks and you'll be awake a few times overnight, find some good books to read until your sleepy again.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    does anyone have any other recommendations for dealing with this damned cold/cough?
    300cc of wild Wolves:
    gut_fauna.png

• Options
    Foomy wrote: »
    I've dealt with a lot of bad cough/chest colds over my life.

for sleeping try and keep yourself propped up into a half-siting position with some extra pillows, lying down flat will make the coughing happen more often. and try some hot decaf tea while in bed, the heat can help to reduce coughing a bit.

you can try and knock yourself out a bit with some gravol or antihistamines if those have the drowsy side-effect on you. That's pretty much what the theraflu or similar hot tea drug things are, pain med+antihistamine+psuedophedrine+cough suppressant. But if your banned from using psuedophedrine, and the cough suppresant won't work on your broncitis, then you just need the sleep aid part.

Other then that it just sorta sucks and you'll be awake a few times overnight, find some good books to read until your sleepy again.

Yeah, position seems to be key. I was lying on my back earlier which was OK, and then I tried rolling over and I was immediately coughing. I am going to maybe try sleeping in this recliner chair I have - at about a 45 or 60 degree upright angle. I sat there briefly and it seemed decent.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So I'm back. The doctor told me it was a cute bronchitis. I was deeply offended, punched him, and ran out of the office screaming "there's nothing cute about it!"

But seriously, he prescribed an inhaler - Albuterol - and recommended Mucinex. I've Albuteroled myself so far and I'll Mucinex myself in a minute.

My blood pressure was super high again. Then at the end of the visit, it dropped - still a bit high but not Danger Zone high. He banned me from using psuedophedrine for life - he said I seem to be very sensitive to it and it's blood-pressure-raising side effects.

He said antibiotics wouldn't work. He said my lungs were clear and it seems entirely viral and that antibiotics wouldn't work because it's not bacterial.

He also said cough medicine wouldn't work, which made me go D: because holy shit I need to sleep at some point. The cough may persist for 2-3 weeks. Ugh.

Anyway, thanks for the help/advice.

@Belasco32‌ what is the name of those pearls we get for the kids when they have a vicious cough? They work awesome for bronchitis.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Tessalon Perles

Though they never really worked for me. Strangely enough after trying a whole lot of remedies Dayquil seemed to work the best for me (combined with an Albuterol inhaler for the sudden attacks.) YMMV, since everyone has typically different reactions to various drugs.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    @DisruptedCapitalist‌ Doc gave me Albuterol. It says you can only take it 4-6 hours as needed. Is that true? I see people on TV sucking that shit down at random. Though I don't know if that's Albuterol.

Doc advised against NyQuil for some reason. I think maybe because my BP was 174/110 when I went - which went down when I was leaving (I was taking Advil Cold & Sinus and he thinks I am susceptible).

I still haven't been able to sleep much so I may just defy him and get some NyQuil. I need to fucking sleep already!

I'll check out those Perles. Is that what you were referring to @spool32‌ ?

Thanks, guys.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Don't know since I'm not a doctor. My guess is that people on TV are doing it for dramatic effect. Either that or asthma requires more doses than bronchitis. Usually a hit or two were enough to get the wheezing under control for me for a few hours.

Another weird thing which sorta helped was snorting salt water. My doc thought that my cough was due to a lot of post-nasal drip so if I stopped the drip it could help get the cough under control, so the albuterol was for instant relief, dayquil for daily relief and the salt water to solve the problem once and for all. All told, it still lingered for almost two months before my body decided to stop producing massive amount of mucus.

Recipes for the salt water rinse can be found online. Just make sure you don't use iodized water cuz that stings like a motherfucker.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    OK thanks.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Don't get Nyquil if your having bad reactions to the pseudoephedrine and all you want is the sleepy part. Just get a regular ol antihistamine like benadryl. That's all the sleep aids really are, they use the drowsy side-effect of antihistamines.

Or try some Gravol, that will also have a noticeable sleep-aid effect on most people.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Tessalon Perles

Though they never really worked for me. Strangely enough after trying a whole lot of remedies Dayquil seemed to work the best for me (combined with an Albuterol inhaler for the sudden attacks.) YMMV, since everyone has typically different reactions to various drugs.

I don't know what we'd do without those Perles in the house. They stop the muscle contraction that causes coughing, and they're used in hospitals to stop hiccups that can't be stopped any other way (yes, apparently that's a thing that happens). They're prescription only for a very good reason, if you accidentally break one in your mouth it's instant heart attack, but it reacts without issue in the stomach. They come in a generic, Benzonatate capsules and are dead cheap in our neck of the woods.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Tessalon Perles

I don't know what we'd do without those Perles in the house. They stop the muscle contraction that causes coughing, and they're used in hospitals to stop hiccups that can't be stopped any other way (yes, apparently that's a thing that happens). They're prescription only for a very good reason, if you accidentally break one in your mouth it's instant heart attack, but it reacts without issue in the stomach. They come in a generic, Benzonatate capsules and are dead cheap in our neck of the woods.

That sounds terrifying.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah benzonatate is crazy dangerous when absorbed through the mouth.

Codeine is the non "make sure you swallow this and don't lollygag with it" alternative of it.

Guaifenesin (Mucinex) is the OTC alternative, not as strong as the other two, but works damn well. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) can also work as a cough suppressant.

Benzonatate affects the central nervous system, so it sort of just straight up kills if you OD on it. The mouth causes hyper-absorption. If you're not a good pill taker or are a kid, I probably wouldn't recommend it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Tessalon Perles

That sounds terrifying.

They're really gummy caplets... you'd have to bite down on it pretty hard, but like, we warned the kids pretty strenuously not to do it! Turns out "if you don't swallow this whole, it might actually kill you before an ambulance arrives" even concentrates the mind of a 12yr old.

• Options
    But man, they delete a cough like whoa. Far more effective than codeine or anything OTC for everyone in our family.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Mucinex is great. Plenty strong enough for me.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Mucinex doesn't do anything for my cough, which is pretty much the only problem here. I did notice it made my mucus more runny than snorgy, which isn't a real word but you know what I mean.

A few more days of this and I'm going to be like the machinist in The Machinist.

• Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    The best home remedy I've ever found for short term cough relief is a shot of apple cider vinegar. It burns like hell and is bad for your teeth but it helps for a while.