As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] Is it too late to change the thread title?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Also what is this DC convergence thing

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    What's a good place to start if I want to read some Constantine stories? I've only read stiff where he's a side character.

Well, they recently start re-releasing all of Hellblazer in numbered trades, so you could conceivably start at the beginning. It's super eighties, and therefore kind of rough sometimes, but Jamie Delano overall does a solid job as the writer for the first like, forty issues.

If you want to start at something more modern, I think I'd recommend maybe Joyride? It's the start of Andy Diggle's run, and Diggle is pretty solid. Or maybe Red Sepulchre, slightly earlier- that's the start of Mike Carey's run.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    So DC announced some more of the convergence titles, this time from the pre-Flashpoint DCU.

Stephanie Brown Batgirl with Tim Drake and Cass Cain, Gotham City Sirens and Arsenal with a robot arm and his daughter still alive are all featured.

I want to be hopeful, but I fear they are presenting us nice things just to smash them to pieces.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Uh Blank it's TEEN ABOMINATION

Pretty much any teen, if you ask me.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

DC's brilliant plan to remind readers how awesome their characters were before the reboot.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    FCD wrote: »
    So DC announced some more of the convergence titles, this time from the pre-Flashpoint DCU.

Stephanie Brown Batgirl with Tim Drake and Cass Cain, Gotham City Sirens and Arsenal with a robot arm and his daughter still alive are all featured.

I want to be hopeful, but I fear they are presenting us nice things just to smash them to pieces.

More just tease you by giving you what you want, but only for a miniseries and then they're gone again

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Oh that's how they're gonna bring Damian and the Joker back. Yay.

My one greatest wish would be to have pre-Flashpoint Mr. Freeze show up and murder New 52 Mr. Freeze and take his place, though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

More just tease you by giving you what you want, but only for a miniseries and then they're gone again

Back to the Waffle Dimension for Steph and company. Blargh :/

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I think there's just a large disparity between what some people feel about the extremis trial (or more specifically, body modification). I don't think the authors see it as anything more than a dickhead move where Tony offered something and then took it away.

Also, it's definitely not the traditional concept of body horror since your choices were either A. Anything you want (which ideally would be something you like), or b. What you had before you started (which, even if you hate, is kind of the opposite of body horror as far as I know.)

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Ah yes, the Stark Method

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    It sounds like a Lex Luthor scheme

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think there's just a large disparity between what some people feel about the extremis trial (or more specifically, body modification). I don't think the authors see it as anything more than a dickhead move where Tony offered something and then took it away.

Also, it's definitely not the traditional concept of body horror since your choices were either A. Anything you want (which ideally would be something you like), or b. What you had before you started (which, even if you hate, is kind of the opposite of body horror as far as I know.)

Being offered the ability to 'fix' yourself and then having that taken away is not the traditional idea of body horror but its no less awful

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I dunno, i don't really have many self image issues but at the very least the Extremis package would be able to up your muscle mass and make you feel more energetic and healthy

Even just being given that much and having it taken away without warning sounds fucking horrifying

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

Being offered the ability to 'fix' yourself and then having that taken away is not the traditional idea of body horror but its no less awful

It's pretty terrible, but I'm pretty sure it was intended as more of an act of not giving a damn rather than an act of outright maliciousness. I think the authors just miscalculated how some people feel about this kind of thing, so rather than being a shitty corporate-style that the authors intended (the kind with unforeseen consequences and is really poor to the end-user), it comes off as something excessively evil in the eye of some people.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man I just cannot handle the 80s x-men books. Tooooo much melodrama

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

The next DC event. They're putting all their ongoings on hold for something like 40 separate miniserieses, with all the characters you know and love oh god readers please come back

• Options

It's pretty terrible, but I'm pretty sure it was intended as more of an act of not giving a damn rather than an act of outright maliciousness. I think the authors just miscalculated how some people feel about this kind of thing, so rather than being a shitty corporate-style that the authors intended (the kind with unforeseen consequences and is really poor to the end-user), it comes off as something excessively evil in the eye of some people.

Absolutely

the reality is though, that the intent doesn't matter when you're talking about how I feel about the character

I absolutely cannot consider him as anything other than a villain, currently

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

The next DC event. They're putting all their ongoings on hold for something like 40 separate miniserieses, with all the characters you know and love oh god readers please come back

They just put all their ongoings on hold for Zero Year though.

Not that there was much of interest going on aside from who's gonna be the new Robin.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Stark has a long history of doing that kind of stuff; he decides he's Right, and then it doesn't really matter how everybody else feels about it. Does that make him a capital letter Villain? I dunno, arguably I guess. It makes an awful lot of marvel characters into villains though.

in this particular case there's some issue with personal agency/body autonomy that get to some people, too

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Not that there was much of interest going on aside from who's gonna be the new Robin.

No, that's different because their ongoings had tie-in issues. They're literally not publishing their ongoing titles and pushing these minis for two months instead.

• Options

No, that's different because their ongoings had tie-in issues. They're literally not publishing their ongoing titles and pushing these minis for two months instead.

Oh.

sig.gif
  • Options
    a less cartoonishly evil thing for tony to do would be to sell weapons of mass destruction

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Tony Stark is actually mirror universe Lex Luthor

The only differences are morality, and Tony has a black goatee

• Options
    So Tony is worse than Syndrome, is what you are saying.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Also, SimBen, Damian already came back. With superpowers, even.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Sounds more like drug-dealering than body horror-ing.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

I want you to imagine that you have body dysmorphia

That, through a fluke of genetics/engineering/god, you were placed in the wrong body

You have never felt at home in your own skin your whole life

and then someone says you can click a button and all your problems will be solved

You will be the ideal of what you have always wanted to be

And then, after a month, you change back, with no warning, and are told to pay a fee you can in no way afford to get it back

• Options
    A friend just sent me a Marvel Unlimited url and asked if the page was loading properly for me or if it was just him.

I told him to avoid Living Weapon and just go reread IIF instead.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm really excited about Constantine coming back. I got all caught up during the break and really love Matt Ryan as John.

I'm just hoping they last long enough to do a season long adaption of Dangerous Habits

Bloods End on
  • Options
    A friend just sent me a Marvel Unlimited url and asked if the page was loading properly for me or if it was just him.

I told him to avoid Living Weapon and just go reread IIF instead.
    You are doing god's work

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    what if thanos dropped by earth and was like "jesus christ tony" and paid everybody's fee

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Obviously.

sig.gif
  • Options

Obviously.
    B0aPSTlIAAAIglv-jpg-large-3e7c1.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean why let a fucking amazing issue of B&R sit and percolate before undoing all that pathos.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I would 100% rather have Damian Wayne back versus letting any pathos percolating

His death was duuuuuumb

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

That, through a fluke of genetics/engineering/god, you were placed in the wrong body

and then someone says you can click a button and all your problems will be solved

And then, after a month, you change back, with no warning, and are told to pay a fee you can in no way afford to get it back

Usually surgery/body modification doesn't actually solve body dismorphic disorder.

• Options
    I would 100% rather have Damian Wayne back versus letting any pathos percolating

His death was duuuuuumb

I thought Batman Inc. was significantly better than the average New 52 story. And like they stretched it out a bit too much with the dumb steps of grief bit but the one issue with zero dialogue right after he died was really, really good.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I liked that they redid the art for the Absolute edition to remove any traces of the New 52

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

See, I'd feel depression, despair, and loss.

Not so much horror.

I associate that with more...Junji Ito-ish stuff.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options

His death was duuuuuumb

I thought Batman Inc. was significantly better than the average New 52 story. And like they stretched it out a bit too much with the dumb steps of grief bit but the one issue with zero dialogue right after he died was really, really good.
    Well Batman Inc. Wasn't a New 52 story, it was an old DCU story that they shoved into the New 52 even though it made no sense.

Personally I didn't like it very much. I really liked the first series where it was just Batman travelling around the world deputizing various Batmen but once it got into the whole megaplot with Tahlia and shit I lost all interest

And I fuckin loved Morrison's Batman and Robin

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.