As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] Is it too late to change the thread title?

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I mean I knew he was named Red Robin

I assumed he just took that name after he stopped being Regular Robin when he joined the Titans.

sig.gif
  • Options
    All this constant beating upside the head with family and he was never even a legit Robin

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    mCRhIrx.jpg?1
    yes

YES

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    In celebration I finally bought Afterlife with Archie Vol. 1

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Not sure about GL, but Batman has been retconned/rebooted since the actual line wide reboot.

Mostly anything dealing with Robins and ages.

A bit of age-lifting isn't exactly what I'd call a reboot. At the ground floor of New 52, Damian was Robin, Dick was Nightwing, Tim was Red Robin and Jason was Red Hood. That's literally the status quo.

Of course since then Dick's stopped being Nightwing and argh what are you doing why.

They also totally fucked with Batgirl. Putting Babs back in the role when she's way cooler as Oracle, erasing the BoP from history along with Cassie and Steph.

They messed with Huntress, too.

Oh yeah, forgot about Batgirl. That was one of the very selective reboots, yeah.

Tim was never Robin either.

Huuuhhhhh?

how does

what

He basically became his own superhero straight after meeting Batman.

Red Robin.

YUM!

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    This thread has got fries on the mind

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Superior Iron Man has been an interesting read so far (as sad as I am about Daredevil repeatedly getting shown up), but yeah, Extremis 3.0 is horrifying for a number of reasons. Even the Teen Abomination thing came off as "Oh, we have uses for you" (I haven't checked to see if there's an issue 4 yet).

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

always

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015

DSQpOIv.jpg

It's pronounced "Freeze"

Straightzi on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Ummmm I was pronouncing it correctly the first time thankyouverymuch

• Options
    I'm gonna be angry some more at how they treated Mr. Freeze in the reboot

3 2 1 go ARGHARGHARGHARGHARGH

sig.gif
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Rewatching Batman Beyond. Man, I forgot how 90s it was. I still love their take on Mr Freeze.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    man, BB is so good

I still love the episode where Powers gets outed by his son and has to hide out in a submarine and he's this glowing skeleton in a suit eating a sandwich in a cramped room

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Batman Beyond is my favorite DC animated anything

And probably just straight up my favorite cartoon

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Justice League and especially JLU just barely edged it (at least up until the last season which was kinda meh).

But really I look at the DCAU as one big series that was basically the greatest cartoon ever.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    man, BB is so good

I still love the episode where Powers gets outed by his son and has to hide out in a submarine and he's this glowing skeleton in a suit eating a sandwich in a cramped room

I love that the intro music is mimicking White Zombie.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I liked that they redid the art for the Absolute edition to remove any traces of the New 52

what? that's awesome. Now I want it.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I tried getting into Batman comics after Arkham City came out but all the recent ones did not grab me at all

Overall it feels like with Marvel you should be reading modern stuff cause they're the best they've ever been, and DC just read the classics cause their glory days are long gone

Vanilla Batman and B&R are great on New 52 and I for one liked Batman Inc.

Just don't even touch Dark Knight or Detective Comics.

The current run of Detective Comics (Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato) is pretty good

and very pretty

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    This thread moves too fast.

The DC reboot has kind of been a bomb as their sales have totally had the bottom fall out over the last year, and I doubt the weeklies have been terribly successful for them (sales wise they're all doing worse numbers than Countdown, although Batman Eternal has come pretty close). The Green Lantern line pretty much fell apart when Johns left, the Earth 2 weekly is just above the point where a regular book would be cancelled and has dragged the Earth 2 monthlies down with it, and a lot of their books have been so prone to crossovers since Trinity War and Forever Evil, that their sales have atrophied like crazy (see Constantine and Justice League Dark, as well as some of the Superman books that were involved in Doomed). And these are all things that should've been really clear, and that can be traced back to ideas of editors rather than market volatility or whatever. So I'm hoping for some big editorial changes after the move.

Also, I'll wait until the final solicits are out for all the titles, but I can't imagine any of these Convergence tie-ins being big hits.

• Options
    I mean I knew he was named Red Robin

I assumed he just took that name after he stopped being Regular Robin when he joined the Titans.

You'd probably think that because that's basically what they said in Teen Titans #1 when the New 52 launched! He said "I was Robin, the Boy Wonder" and then became Red Robin

but then they retconned it and said "No, he's just always been Red Robin" and they edited the trade of Teen Titans to say "I was Red Robin, Batman's Boy Wonder"

then they tried to give it a story reason by saying he didn't want to be compared to Dick and Jason, or didn't want to seem disrespectful toward's Jason's death or whatever-the-fuck

I just really hate the superhero name Red Robin

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    I liked that they redid the art for the Absolute edition to remove any traces of the New 52

old vs new:

BMINC_2_14_600-horz.jpg

• Options
    I want that Absolute Edition of Batman Inc so bad.

I hope they'll do a deluxe edition hardcover of the New 52 run with the new art at some point; I have the rest of Morrison's run in that format.

• Options
    Also I really like the Justice League intro you guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXph0arElKs

it's so nice and dramatic and so very art deco

I also like the JLU intro but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb5wZ7ZPXdA

I can't stop thinking that it sounds exactly like someone made a remix of the Dark World theme from ALttP to use for the intro of a sports show

sig.gif
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what if thanos dropped by earth and was like "jesus christ tony" and paid everybody's fee
    I thought thanos was operating out of earth now. Wakanda to be exact

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I also like how the JLU intro seems almost reluctant to showcase the most famous B-leaguers (only throwing in Supergirl and Green Arrow almost as afterthoughts at the end) while they open it up with Orion, the Atom, Black Canary and the freakin' Question.

And the Question had one of the bigger plots on the series.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I really liked the Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths intro music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0xYEPLqBq8

When the main thene kicks in and the big Justice League title comes up and it's like wooo yeah superheroes!

Solar on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    It really is amazing how DC so soundly ignores the good ideas and character interactions of the DCAU. Just refusing to learn anything from their good example.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Confession: I prefer the Bat symbol without the yellow oval

• Options
    The one where Superman is an actual Man of Steel-sized dick and Shazam (then-Captain Marvel) gets in his face and is ashamed of him might have been one of the best half-hours of animation I've ever seen.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I miss the DCAU.

Between the Vixen stuff on CW SEED and the Justice League: Gods and Monsters thing coming to Machinima, it seems like DCE/Warner's have given up on putting Superhero cartoons on TV, which is the biggest bummer ever. I wonder how the renewals and shit will work for the online shows.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

old vs new:

BMINC_2_14_600-horz.jpg

Why does redone Batman have some kind of knee tumor now?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yellow and blue really does improve Batman's costume IMO

breaks up all that grey and black

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Batman beyond is my favorite batman thing and might be my favorite dc thing and favorite cartoon

Its very, very good

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    classic batman colors will always be my favorite

it just makes him pop off the page so much more

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I really, really liked old Bruce in that.

He's just the biggest curmudgeon and it works really well with Terry's sense of humour.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I always liked how BTAS sort of split the difference and had his cape be such a dark blue that it shifted between that and black depending on the lighting

I don't know if i've seen that sort of color scheme in comics though

• Options
    I always liked how BTAS sort of split the difference and had his cape be such a dark blue that it shifted between that and black depending on the lighting

The only time Batman's cape was blue on the DCAU was in the bit making fun of silver-age Batman cartoons.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I read the first trade of Ms. Marvel

That's a really, really good comic

Some of the imagery in it is really affecting, too. I actually felt disoriented and queasy when Kamala was staggering around looking like a 6-foot-tall white lady with blonde hair

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular

The only time Batman's cape was blue on the DCAU was in the bit making fun of silver-age Batman cartoons.

batman-characters-created-for-tv-and-film-20111201023123540-000.jpg

Bzzt, wrong.

• Options
    edited January 2015

batman-characters-created-for-tv-and-film-20111201023123540-000.jpg

Bzzt, wrong.

Oh wow, I totally forgot they shaded the bright parts of his cape as dark blue.

I feel like post-redesign they kept him solid black at all times though.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.