As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neo Scavenger

124»

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't know what build my copy is at since my internet was cut off but I do know that makeshift sacks are awesome. I'm also annoyed that I never realized that I could haul scraps of cloth and fire material to searchable sites, build a campfire and a torch, light said torch, and search the sites with it. Fuck security, I need clothes.

Also, hooray for the cryo facility spawning next to a forest and a searchable tile. That was painful in the early builds. Lotta good men died searching for a damn shirt.

• Options
    I just froze to death because I failed to put the sleeping bag on the ground

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    If you're not murdering the fuck out of the dogman at the beginning of the game you're doing it wrong. Dogman fur is super great at keeping you from freezing.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    If you're not murdering the fuck out of the dogman at the beginning of the game you're doing it wrong. Dogman fur is super great at keeping you from freezing.

It's still required if you've taken Insomnia, as you need that sleep bar bonus to stay asleep without pills.

• Options
    Oh, no you'll always want a sleeping bag. I'm just saying dogman fur coats pretty much remove cold as a factor entirely. Stroll the wilderness in perfect comfort forever. The coat is likely to survive longer than you will.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Oh, no you'll always want a sleeping bag. I'm just saying dogman fur coats pretty much remove cold as a factor entirely. Stroll the wilderness in perfect comfort forever. The coat is likely to survive longer than you will.

Plus, y'know...

Badass.

• Options
    I might start using twitter again to recount all my deaths.

Mauled by two wild dogs.

• Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Haven't played this for awhile so I decided to give it a post release spin.

In the last 2 hours I have been mauled by feral dogs 3 times. The last time, I had just gotten a nice stash together and was one turn away from crafting arrows. Damn mutts.

Well, back in I go! Can't wait to see what else is new!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Wow, that was quick.

Dogs 4, Me 0.

Round 5.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Started a new game with strong, tough, botany, trapping, insomniac, and high metabolism. Observed a helicopter and two guys in black combat gear sweep over the cryo facility.

Wolfman combat and pelt was great idea. Currently building stockpiles of water bottels across the state. I wish I had realized several games ago how useful torches and animal pelts were. Comepletely forgot the latter counted the same as rags.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I just started playing this a couple of days ago. After some ruinous attempts, I think I'm finally getting the hang of things like what's good to craft, what skills do, and how to not die from every disease simultaneously. I finally feel free to play cautiously and deliberately instead of making a doomed sprint to some imagined salvation in the east.

Unfortunately, I've had ludicrously bad starts on my last three attempts. One where absolutely no clothing was generated and I froze to death immediately. One where exclusively right-footed shoes were generated and I reached the Blister Singularity. And one where I couldn't find a scrap of storage, not even a plastic bag. I tried to salvage that last one by trading my copper medallion for a rifle, which proved...insufficient.

Tonight for sure, though!

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Victory! Well, over the dogs and the initial wilds. Made it to where the game ended in the last pre-launch version I played, so its all new from here! Pretty exciting stuff.

Though now I am terrified of dying a stupid death. Maybe I will just take a break for a bit.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I've never made it to the end of a build, maybe this time.

• Options
    Kias wrote: »
    Victory! Well, over the dogs and the initial wilds. Made it to where the game ended in the last pre-launch version I played, so its all new from here! Pretty exciting stuff.

Though now I am terrified of dying a stupid death. Maybe I will just take a break for a bit.
    There is that hole in your stomach moment when you realize you left your sleeping bag in the camp a day's travel back just as another cold night starts to fall. Of course, that would matter more, I guess, if I hadn't accidentally ate a poison mushroom while looting some jerks body. I mean, maybe a warm night's sleep would help my immune system, I don't know, but when I finally got back to where I left my bag, the poison had its claws in me.

Which led to this status screen:

2E3B57D021319C00E00AD81ED8EAF6EFAF69DBEF

And a pack of dogmen who apparently smelled an easy dinner:

51CFEED470F70ED9AB0F86C34CE1A5E3A7DE2A4D

Note the camp symbol in the hex where the two dogmen are standing. You guessed it, that is where I absentmindedly left my camping gear. My final consolation was killing the two dogmen with the last of my arrows right before succumbing to the poison tearing my immune system to pieces.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    So, I'm tired, find a nice camp, set up a tarp shelter and a noise trap, turns out I should have set up a second one.
    Survival Time: 19 days, 9.90 hours.

Final Moments:

Player is unconscious.
    Player passed out from unbearable pain.
    Player pulls Dogman down to the ground!
    Dogman's armor was barely affected.
    Dogman fell to the ground, and must regain footing to continue.
    Dogman is exposed to easy attack for a moment.
    ** End Turn **
    Player is bleeding.
    Dogman gets up.
    ** End Turn **
    Player is bleeding.
    Player: ...zzz...
    Dogman kicks Player while they're down!
    Player's lower chest was bruised.
    Player needs a moment to recover before acting again.
    ** End Turn **
    Player is bleeding.
    Dogman attacks Player...and hits!
    Dogman shredded Player's head with a claw.
    ** End Turn **

Player is unconscious.
    Player is wearing a megacity visitor pass.
    Player was introduced to Hatter.
    Player is using an optical magnification device.
    Player is skilled in hand-to-hand combat. Melee weapons are more effective and degrade slower.
    Player has a high metabolism, and consumes food and water faster than most. However, Player also recovers faster from wounds and illness.
    Player is strong, and can carry more than most.
    Player is comfortable.
    Player allied with Hatter.
    Player has trouble staying asleep, and sleep is less restful.
    Player is unburdened by what they're carrying.
    Player is well-rested.
    Player's hunger is sated.
    Player's thirst is slaked.
    Player is bleeding.
    Player is wearing the protective talisman.
    Player fell to the ground, and must regain footing to continue.
    Player is exposed to easy attack for a moment.
    Player has a normal circulation of blood.
    Player passed out from unbearable pain.
    Player's immune system is healthy.
    Player's right arm became crippled.
    Player died of a severe traumatic brain injury.
    Player contracted pneumonia.
    Player is coughing up blood.
    Player is skilled in trapping and snares.
    Player already discovered Exam Room 17.
    Player already visited the Red Gnome diner.
    Player already visited Haggerty Health.
    Player was tested for augmentation and prosthetic eligibility.
    Player already visited the DMC.
    Player saw the wraith footage at Hatter's.
    Player is knowledgeable in plants.
    Player is carrying a device that DMC patrols can track.
    Player knows that the creature coming down the hall was a dogman.
    Player already had looter conversation 1 with Kim.
    Player already had DMC guard conversation 1.
    Player already had DMC guard conversation 2.
    Player already returned to the cryo facility.
    Player completed the intro task for Hatter.
    Player is wearing a wrist strap from Gyges Cryo Facility.
    Player is wearing a crude air filter.
    Player saw the glow in the east.
    Player has acted significantly more good than evil.

• Options
    So, dogmen at night in a forest when you have myopia is kinda hard to deal with. I managed to get the first one that strolled right up to me and tore open my face, but the one right after did a much better job of the whole evisceration thing.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    So please share, is the full released version fun? I'm seeing posts on Steam about how they tweaked the difficulty in to ludicrously unfair levels, so much so that they find the game is no longer fun. I'm taking those reviews with a grain of salt, because, well, Steam forums.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »
    So please share, is the full released version fun? I'm seeing posts on Steam about how they tweaked the difficulty in to ludicrously unfair levels, so much so that they find the game is no longer fun. I'm taking those reviews with a grain of salt, because, well, Steam forums.

I just lasted 19 days, the longest I've lasted. The addition of wild dogs and conversation with people adds more reachable sources of fur and meat while the latter gives you an out with fights.

I'm still having fun.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The best run I have ever had in this game - lots of good gear, a good chunk of money, on a bit of progress through the story, no big disasters: just ended when in the first round of combat a Blue Frog Cultist stabbed me in the heart with a meat cleaver and I instantly died. I don't mind RNG killing me out of nowhere, but I can see how this game would frustrate the fuck out of some people.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Remember, JESUS SAVEScums.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, I picked this up and was playing it on the weekend. Very fun! There's nothing like feeling like a badass, then your shopping cart just falls apart. Also, I restarted, because:
    I cut off my id bracelet when I left the medical centre, and then I had no ID when I made it to the bank in Detroit.

For perks/skills whatever they are called, I'm taking the metabolism flaw (eat more, heal more), tracker, melee, medic, tough. That seemed to serve me well out in the wilds, but I'm wondering if I should choose something else because there may be more things to do in Detroit

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png