As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I met a girl.

13»

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    Cryogen wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    So, here is what happened.

Went to the store. She was in the back of the centeral island area sorting comics. So I looked around, went back there and talked to her. We talked for a little bit about the comic I purchased before and Sandman, which is apparently delightful and not for usual comic fans. She thinks I would enjoy it. So, I'm apparently not a usual comic fan in her mind. Presumably this is good.

Then she has to check someone out. So she goes to do that and I wander around so as not to cramp her. After she rings the person up she goes back to sorting.

It's a fairly small store, so if she wanted to continue the discussion she could start talking again and I would hear her. But she doesn't so I just peruse the selections for a while. Then I say "See you later." to her and she looks up and says "You're leaving?" To which I say "Yeah, I think so." And she says, "See you later, then. Tallyforth."

So it's not the case that when I'm in the store she feels compelled to talk to me and seek me out, as it were, but it is also not the case that when I leave she's indifferent.

I think I would be in a good position to befriend her were we capable of talking sometime outside of the store. I'll probably go back in a few weeks and see what happens then.

Dont forget that ultimately, she is at work. She is there to do a job. She might well really want to come over and chat more with you, but she's being paid to do various tasks and they need to take priority. So dont let her not being the one to approach you cloud your vision here.

I think he handled himself well in his description of the situation. He waited until it was comfortable clear for conversation, had a good conversation with her, and got out of her way when it was time for her to do some work. She took an interest when he was leaving, and the fact that he left shows he isn't overly interested. But this is where it can get hectic if you start to over-analyze. For the moment J stay the course.

Yeah. I'm just trying to figure out how to have a conversation and iniate some "out of work" experience without having the initial question be awkward.

Must go back again, talk again, see what happens.

I don't think it has to be awkward, not anymore at least. You guys talked a couple of times, and if you got a good reading of her and think you get along, then just ask her if she want's to hang out after work. Find something near the area(comedy club, go karts, or just plain coffee) and just ask her to that.

noir_blood on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    What do all of you think about asking her in front of her male co-workers? The store is such that it has an island in the middle which is where the people stand to operate the cash register. So if she's standing in there her co-workers are also in there.

provided that she is in there and so are her co-workers, ought it be fine for me to ask? Or ought I try to get her to show me some product which is away from that area? thoughts?

_J_ on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm going to tell you what every girl tells me about questions like that. Stop thinking so much. It won't matter, she'll be down or she won't, and from her side co-workers who are friendly are going to rib you anyway but it's just friendly ribbing.

ViolentChemistry on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm going to tell you what every girl tells me about questions like that. Stop thinking so much. It won't matter, she'll be down or she won't, and from her side co-workers who are friendly are going to rib you anyway but it's just friendly ribbing.

Point.

_J_ on
  • YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

^^^^

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
    edited October 2007
    My inborn need to analyze everything to death is why I will die alone. Don't be like me!

ViolentChemistry on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, what VC said. There may not be a perfect situation to ask in, so work with what you have.

Beware ye olde Analysis-Paralysis.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited October 2007
    Also, having worked a million service-jobs dutifully and reliably, I can honestly say that nothing would have brightened any day I've worked more than someone intelligent and not-hideous asking me to have coffee with them at some point when I don't have a shift.

ViolentChemistry on
  • TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    OK I haven't read anyone's response but I read the OP and the "I went back" post.

Ask her if she would like to get coffee or something to eat after she gets off, or if that doesn't work then try to schedule another time (or get her phone number to schedule it). You don't have to call it a date. If you talked to her for 45 minutes that means she would not be offended if you asked her out. Even more so that you talked again and she seems interested in at the very least talking to you some more. Girls (like guys) can usually tell if they would be willing to go on a date with a person within 5 or 10 minutes of talking with them so either way she has already made up her mind as to whether or not she would turn you down (sounds like no unless shes got a ton of emotional baggage etc.). She will take it as an awesome compliment even if she doesn't agree to go out. No balls, no babies.

edit: her male coworkers already know you are interested (come on dude, no straight guy talks to a unfamiliar woman he's not interested for 45 minutes in unless they're marooned together or something). Ask away, you can only gain points in their book (unless they like her too!).

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg