As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] Is it too late to change the thread title?

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Also, they made the Blue Beetle ongoing darker and edgier. And they made it so his family and friends no longer knew he was a superhero, even though having those supporting characters be in the know was part of what made the character work. In short, fuck Dan Didio.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    yeah the blue beetle ongoing was all about gangs and shit and his best friend was a thug and

ugh

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Dustin Weaver's interlocking covers for Avengers #44 and New Avengers #33, the final issues of those series
    AVENG-NEWAVN-WeaverCovers_col.jpg
    You know, I never really thought of it before but I wonder what's the other Earth that's gonna be part of the final Incursion gonna be about. A familiar alternate reality or something completely new?
    I think it's either going to be a universe with no superheroes at all, no one to defend it but people from 616

OR

It'll be the Ultimate Universe, because let's face it, being fodder for a 616 story is about the right luck level for how that universe is treated.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Dustin Weaver's interlocking covers for Avengers #44 and New Avengers #33, the final issues of those series
    You know, I never really thought of it before but I wonder what's the other Earth that's gonna be part of the final Incursion gonna be about. A familiar alternate reality or something completely new?
    I think it's either going to be a universe with no superheroes at all, no one to defend it but people from 616

OR

It'll be the Ultimate Universe, because let's face it, being fodder for a 616 story is about the right luck level for how that universe is treated.
    Adding to that second thought, the cover to next month's issue of Avengers is just the Ultimate #1 cover, being reused.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    You know what would be a good Batman Beyond comeback?

Batman is getting up there in years but can still hold his own in a fight. Still, he won't be able to do this much longer. It's really too bad. Oh but there's this kid, Terry, full of youth and energy, maybe he can take it up. Batman will still suit up and show him the ropes, though.

Too bad Terry never knew the original Batman and didn't grow up with the man, who died years ago. Because this old Batman is Dick Grayson.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Terry and Dick would be too buddy buddy I think

you lose the strict mentor thing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    You would but that's not a bad thing neccessarily

It would almost be refreshing to see a mentor relationship leaning a little more on the supportive side

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    yeah the blue beetle ongoing was all about gangs and shit and his best friend was a thug and

ugh

Which is odd because Static Shock was literally custom made to deal with gangs and inner city issues why not use him?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Because his book was cancelled after like 9 issues after the co writer bailed

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

OR

Man I love the ultimate universe but if its gotta go being at the climax of hickman's grand Avengers opus is how I'd like to see it go.

Is can think of far worse ending.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    It is most definitely the Ultimate Universe

Remember that the cover for issue #41 is literally the cover to The Ultimates #1

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Apparently there was a Daredevil TV spot on Agent Carter tonight

• Options
    Huh

I didn't see it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Didn't Agent Carter start like 5 minutes ago?

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Didn't Agent Carter start like 5 minutes ago?
    34 minutes ago I believe

(I'm not even watching I just wanted the blind joke)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it airs at 8pm, right?

it's ~9:30 on the East Coast right now, isn't it?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Half an hour ago, on the East Coast

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

It would almost be refreshing to see a mentor relationship leaning a little more on the supportive side

Also the way I'm picturing it, Dick's trying to live up to Bruce's memory and teaching shit to this kid who doesn't understand some stuff because he never knew Bruce and that puts kind of a weight on both of Dick's shoulders

I dunno, I started thinking about this and I really like it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    it airs at 8pm, right?

it's ~9:30 on the East Coast right now, isn't it?

Nope, 9 is the normal time. It was 8 last week because they showed two episodes.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

It was literally just the two d's made out of the streets with a date.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    what did they ever do with him? I remember people thought blue beetle was gonna be their next big deal and then I kinda stopped paying attention

He was in brave and the bold and was massively popular with kids

they squandered it fairly quickly

He was also one of the main characters of Young Justice season 2

aka the best cartoon

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    FCD wrote: »
    Also, they made the Blue Beetle ongoing darker and edgier. And they made it so his family and friends no longer knew he was a superhero, even though having those supporting characters be in the know was part of what made the character work. In short, fuck Dan Didio.

and also rebooted him/redid his origin despite the character being created barely 5 years prior

• Options
    If anyone hasn't read the first Jaime Reyes series (well, the first 25 issues), you need to because it's fuckin' tops blooby

• Options
    The original Rogers 25 issue Blue Beetle run is probably my favorite teen superhero book

Even more than Ultimate Spider-Man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Man I want a TV show Arrow lego minifig. The new Green Arrow Minifig just isn't close enough for me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Stephen Amell, still the best

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    no lego salmon ladder??

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    no lego salmon ladder??

That'll be one of the special objects that only Ollie can interact with

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Also the way I'm picturing it, Dick's trying to live up to Bruce's memory and teaching shit to this kid who doesn't understand some stuff because he never knew Bruce and that puts kind of a weight on both of Dick's shoulders

I dunno, I started thinking about this and I really like it.

I think Damian might be more fun.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    You know what would be a good Batman Beyond comeback?

Batman is getting up there in years but can still hold his own in a fight. Still, he won't be able to do this much longer. It's really too bad. Oh but there's this kid, Terry, full of youth and energy, maybe he can take it up. Batman will still suit up and show him the ropes, though.

Too bad Terry never knew the original Batman and didn't grow up with the man, who died years ago. Because this old Batman is Dick Grayson.

Actually, last I checked, they're currently having Dick be Terry's guide in the Batman Beyond digital comic. I don't know for sure if it's still going or not but it seemed to happen after a time-skip with Terry going to college and having some sort of fallout with Bruce.

By the way, anyone keeping tabs on that Future's End mini? I'm curious to know how Terry's doing in that.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I think there's just a large disparity between what some people feel about the extremis trial (or more specifically, body modification). I don't think the authors see it as anything more than a dickhead move where Tony offered something and then took it away.

Also, it's definitely not the traditional concept of body horror since your choices were either A. Anything you want (which ideally would be something you like), or b. What you had before you started (which, even if you hate, is kind of the opposite of body horror as far as I know.)

Being offered the ability to 'fix' yourself and then having that taken away is not the traditional idea of body horror but its no less awful

It's pretty terrible, but I'm pretty sure it was intended as more of an act of not giving a damn rather than an act of outright maliciousness. I think the authors just miscalculated how some people feel about this kind of thing, so rather than being a shitty corporate-style that the authors intended (the kind with unforeseen consequences and is really poor to the end-user), it comes off as something excessively evil in the eye of some people.

That level of greed and capitalistic fuckery is Evil.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Saga, you guys.
    7wqsz1n9193y.jpg
    It's mighty dusty in here.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I love that page. Lying Cat is the best.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    "To survive I must become someone else, something green, and pointy, and arrow-y"

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Agent Carter, not you too

"My name is Peggy Carter, I fought alongside Captain America"

I can practically hear "someone else, something else"

Other than that the episode was tops and Jarvis is still the best

I also like Thompson because he's like Pete Campbell and Ken Cosgrove spliced together

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Saga, you guys.
    7wqsz1n9193y.jpg
    It's mighty dusty in here.

Oh, man, me, too. Me, too.

That and the last page in the deluxe got me good.

• Options
    ABC your show player is garbage. A big white bar on the bottom of my screen so I don't get actual full screen? Big obnoxious play/pause menu that takes too long to fade? ugh gross

• Options
    Aww man, Agent Carter episode 1 spoilers
    I liked the roommate :(

This discussion has been closed.