As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We should all really quit [Social Media]: Facebook changes product branding to FACEBOOK

Indie WinterIndie Winter die KräheRudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
edited November 2019 in Social Entropy++
Social Media can be great. It allows you to keep in touch with people that'd otherwise disappear from your life, it exposes you to news and information that are unavailable through more traditional channels, and it provides you with fresh avenues through which to express yourself.

But it can also be pretty damaging.

Recently I noticed that after I check Facebook and Twitter I get sadder, sometimes even depressed. The constant barrage of negativity, outrage, conflicting opinions, shares and retweets forced on you are just too much. You never know if, when you scroll down, you might see a puppy or a massacre. You never know if a person you quite like might decide to point a finger at someone else, and suddenly your view of them is marred by hostility. Even if you don't engage with any of that, you feel like you're constantly on your guard, fighting back against the tides, just trying to keep it together while you're flooded with information.

So, I've had enough.

I've deleted the social media apps from my phone. I've blocked the websites on my computers. I'm trying to wean myself of an environment which, to me at least, seems toxic. It's not easy. I find that a significant amount of my time was spent browsing those services, and now I'm bored more easily, and have nothing to distract me from mundane drudgeries. But I'm trying to fill the time - I've started reading books again, for one, and I rediscovered how great books are.

I'm sure other people have thicker skins and find this whole thing a bit overblown. Others might blame me, not unjustly, of escapism - trying to deny the world and isolate myself from much of the terrible stuff that happens in it. But this is the choice I made, for better or worse. I don't know if it'll last. But I'm going to try.

Sup guys. Tell me about your social media experiences.

wY6K6Jb.gif
Indie Winter on

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I think social media is super fascinating and a large portion of my upcoming job is going to revolve around it

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think that online forums are technically a form of social media.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I check my Facebook a few times a day just to see if anything interesting was posted on there.

I generally end up annoyed by most of what people post.

I have a Twitter but I almost never bother with it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I skip over most of it, and hardly ever contribute myself, anymore.

It feels like it's most widely utilized as a time waster, and it's always sad to see companies try to utilize it for actual business purposes, and have the efforts almost univerasally fall flat.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I tried social media for a month.

Then cancelled all the accounts and burned the PC I set them up on.

They are literally the showcase of humanity's swill.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    twitter is pretty good but getting worse

facebook is borderline unusable

the only reason i have it is for family

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I don't use Twitter much, I guess I should be thankful for that.

While I mainly use Facebook to message friends and relatives quickly, I kind of encounter the opposite of your experience; I see a whole lot of people posting how awesome their lives are and how they enjoy it so much they broadcast it to everyone. And it makes me feel bad that I somewhat resent these people, being someone that doesn't go out and "have fun", so to speak. I know this is an irrational reaction, but I feel it nonetheless. That's why I don't scroll through everything.

Sorry to hear about your situation, though. I'd probably feel the same if I were in your shoes, but I'd be too lazy to do anything about it, and/or I find the pros of social media outweigh the cons, so I try to mitigate it via blocking/hiding updates from friends I don't really want or need to get updated about.

Good luck with what you're doing. I hope whatever happens, you'll end up in a happier situation.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I tried social media for a month.

Then cancelled all the accounts and burned the PC I set them up on.

They are literally the showcase of humanity's swill.

It's a good source of news as events are unfolding

But those tweets are also the definition of 'report first, ask questions later' and are still as biased as the worst news outlets

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    my experience with Facebook and Twitter, when comparing my own experiences to my friends, is that you can control how shitty your feed is, if you're willing

like, someone on your feed constantly posts poorly sourced bullshit news and clickbait? Unfollow them. Racist rant? Unfollow them. Even if it's family and you feel obliged to have them as "friends", that doesn't mean you can't tell facebook to silently ignore everything they post.

Same for twitter. Follow awesome people, don't follow crappy people - like magic, your twitter feed is now awesome.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    my experience with Facebook and Twitter, when comparing my own experiences to my friends, is that you can control how shitty your feed is, if you're willing

like, someone on your feed constantly posts poorly sourced bullshit news and clickbait? Unfollow them. Racist rant? Unfollow them. Even if it's family and you feel obliged to have them as "friends", that doesn't mean you can't tell facebook to silently ignore everything they post.

Same for twitter. Follow awesome people, don't follow crappy people - like magic, your twitter feed is now awesome.

It's very easy to do this and just end up with an echo chamber, though. Surrounding yourself with people that agree with you is an excellent way of convincing yourself that your worldview suddenly represents all reasonable demographics

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Javen wrote: »

It's very easy to do this and just end up with an echo chamber, though. Surrounding yourself with people that agree with you is an excellent way of convincing yourself that your worldview suddenly represents all reasonable demographics

That's why I remain in this group that my aunt started

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1518693388348662/

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    i have a facebook account but i check it maybe annually

just seems kinda pointless and annoying to me

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    I did the Twitter thing long enough (big local userbase doesn't hurt there), but it was turning into just a negative pool of mean-spirited garbage that I found it was actually bringing me down. Unfollowing someone *somehow* became the new cruelty and in a mid-market sized town with pretty interweaved professional networks, that's a liability I don't need. I don't need professional contacts aced just because I unfollowed someone.

I actually came back to these forums after a few years away when I ditched Twitter. I like the conversational tone and community (something Twitter sorely lacks) that the forums have.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

There's a (slight) difference between "awesome people" and "people who agree with me" though, and if "not following my racist aunt's facebook posts or that girl from High School's shaing of bullshit psychology blog clickbait articles" makes for an echo chamber, then fuck it, it's my facebook page, let it be one.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I mostly use Facebook to post news articles anymore, and keep tabs on people that I know. Facebook Messenger is also the go-to method of collaborating with friends on meeting up and doing things.

I'm with @Fearghaill‌ in saying that Social Media is only as shitty as you let it be. I've unfriended a lot of people I knew in high school over the last couple of years because they've turned out to be racist/ignorant and unwilling to learn/homophobic/etc. Facebook has actually been really useful in that regard, sort of nipping problems in the bud and keeping things in perspective.

I never really got into Twitter. I have an account but I never really post there. I don't really care about posting little snippets about my life, and Twitter is less pleasant for me to use when posting news/links than Facebook, so it just gets ignored.

I really enjoy using Tumblr, I've found a lot of great articles and images through it. Definitely something that has to be heavily curated though. It also takes a decent chunk of time to blog in a way that feels correct/meaningful, so I go through phases of posting a lot and then phases of not posting anything for months.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I haaaaaaaate Facebook. It is basically an awkwardness machine. I still have one but I've gotten to the point where I don't even add people anymore and just tell them instead that it's a dead account. It's mostly people I haven't talked to in years. Part of me says I should go through and purge/re-add people and actually use it though, just because I'm sure I miss out on social activities as a result.

I use twitter sparingly, mostly to keep track of news, laugh at artists/games/etc I enjoy, or another avenue to communicate with people from here. I like twitter for entertainment and information but it's terrible as a means of communication and I feel the biggest contributor to the angry atmosphere on the internet these days.

That's pretty much the extent of my social media use.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

I think there's a difference between cutting awful stuff out of your feed and making an echo chamber, though. I definitely follow some people I don't agree with, or who have worldviews that don't line up with my own, just because they articulate their points well and they force me to consider angles I would normally have been ignorant of.

And if I want to see awful stuff, so that I know what's going on with other people, I know how to find it. And I do look for it, but it's a conscious decision to do so, something I can at least kind of prepare myself for, rather than something that I force upon myself whenever I look at twitter

• Options
    I don't generally unfollow someone for one or two irritating posts, but if I'm noticing a trend of getting annoyed every time someone shows up in my feed, then yeah, unfriended or unfollowed depending on the situation. Yeah, there's some risk of it being an "echo chamber", but if it's an echo chamber of cool people and positivity, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Closing out your social media accounts altogether will also shelter you from opposing worldviews, but it also cuts you off from any potential cool stuff.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I use Facebook but only to catch up with family/friends. Otherwise its like the worst right-wing hellhole you've ever been to.

Twitter is a bit better in that regards and their have been numerous situations where Twitter did new reporting better than the actual news sites so I stick around. Still has its share of asshats though, but I've managed to meet pretty awesome people in between.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I got a twitter account way back when. . Think it was invite or beta at that time.
    Never used it. Just wasn't able to get into it.
    Facebook is a once a day, when I get home thing.
    Forums, in the other hand, I lurk too often

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    I still keep a few hyper conservative friends and family on my facebook, and it can actually be a great reminder that not everyone fits into political caricatures based on the identifying labels we use.

I'm facebook friends with a pretty conservative guy who considers himself libertarian, huge gun nut, kind of into drugs. He also loathes police violence and has been very active in protests and marches in his community. He hates new taxes but thinks the ACA is a good thing. He's not a democrat, but actually likes where Obama has come down on a lot of things, even though he was all about Benghazi when it was a thing.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I find twitter to be near unreadable. The way it displays tweets is just awful. Hard to tell what is going on at all. Twitter is like shouting into a crowd.

Facebook I like a little better. Sure it has the whole creepy tracking thing going on. But it help me keep up with people I don't often see and is pretty good for organizing parties and the like. Sure it is an endless stream of meme images and clickbait, but there are some gems in there, that I see every day. I helps that I've liked some good pages so I see interesting things every day. Local restaurants tell me their specials. I see the latest from NASA, or TED, or NATGEO.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I was really surprised by Facebook the other day, I guess that their questionable content rules don't cover images of dead people? Someone shared an image of some dead terrorists and I was like "I genuinely don't want to see dead bodies on my feed." So I reported the image, and Facebook ended up telling me it didn't violate any rules or appear questionably graphic. Given the post/image had no purpose but (what I consider) promoting false patriotism and glorifying killing I thought they would remove it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I use Facebook quite a bit. Mostly to rant about things I don't like in the manner of a crotchety old man. I looked at Twitter in the beginning and it seemed like a really disjointed and obtuse to follow version of the Facebook feed, so I ignored it. I looked at instagram, and it doesn't offer me anything I want, and if I did want any of the things it CAN do, they seem to be better handled elsewhere anyway (tumblr{holy shit can pages on that be an unintelligible disaster, Geocities eat your fucking heart out}, Pinterest, etc).

Honestly, Google+ is a way better version of Facebook, but it has a very small active user base, and none of my friends use it ever, so I don't care about that either.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2015

There's a (slight) difference between "awesome people" and "people who agree with me" though, and if "not following my racist aunt's facebook posts or that girl from High School's shaing of bullshit psychology blog clickbait articles" makes for an echo chamber, then fuck it, it's my facebook page, let it be one.

I also feel like people overuse the term "echo chamber". Sure, its a thing but I think you have to go out of your way for that kind of environment.

Yeah, I do tend to follow a lot of like-minded people who agree with me on many subjects. But we also tend to have our disagreements and heck even if we agree with might not be completely on the same page.

Generally, I've found that leads to way more interesting and enlightening discussions than people being as condescending or violent as possible when your view doesn't align with theirs.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    social media is a communication tool that i use for promotion of my work, my uh, burgeoning brand as well as a networking tool. its also done wonders for my crowdfunding endeavors

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    when social media is at its best its like a garden. it eliminates the problem of having to see X bullshit for a prolonged period of time, because i can prune X bullshit. sometimes i want to just make porn, look at porn, or talk shop about porn without seeing a bunch of ethics in games journalism garbage on my feeds

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have a Facebook that exists solely to show something to people who look for me on the Internet, so I'm not 100% invisible. It has nothing except my name and workplaces, not even a picture or friends. I check it never and the most use it gets is letting me bypass those "make an account or use Facebook sign-in" things. I despise its very existence and regret that it's a necessity of the age.

I also don't have Twitter.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    So I remember listening to NPR the otherday and they had a story about how Facebook intentionally filters some people's feeds to see mostly negative or positive posts to study their behaviors. This explains to me why some of my friends who share many of the same friends I do complain about how there is mostly negative posst while my feed seems to be an even mix of not leaning more towards the positive.

I am in a special relationship with social media since it is now such a massive part of my chasing business. Twitter is crucial when communicating and advertising to media outlets with what content I have avalible for them. Facebook and Twitter help with increasing my footprint and personal brand with the public and media and help me greatly when trying to network and work collectively with other chasers in the field, and youtube has added an extra line of revenue for me.

Until just recently, when how one made ad revenue changed for live streams, Facebook and Twitter would give me added bumps to my live stream as well and help me maximize profits from to. So with all that said I sadly cannot leave social media and have to also keep my image on there spotless.

Also I snapchat because I am a narcissist and like taking selfie and sharing them with friends. :3

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I should have made a separate facebook account for my work pages I manage, because I am on FB waaaaay more than I am comfortable with now.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i follow enough people on twitter that i see every reaction to any given event thing, but not the sites or people that actually break whatever news. so i'll see all the outrage or joy without having any fucking clue what the topic being discussed is, and generally i don't care enough to inform myself.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    facebook to me has always been a big online photo album, which is a pretty cool thing but that's all I use it for.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    So I remember listening to NPR the otherday and they had a story about how Facebook intentionally filters some people's feeds to see mostly negative or positive posts to study their behaviors. This explains to me why some of my friends who share many of the same friends I do complain about how there is mostly negative posst while my feed seems to be an even mix of not leaning more towards the positive.

I am in a special relationship with social media since it is now such a massive part of my chasing business. Twitter is crucial when communicating and advertising to media outlets with what content I have avalible for them. Facebook and Twitter help with increasing my footprint and personal brand with the public and media and help me greatly when trying to network and work collectively with other chasers in the field, and youtube has added an extra line of revenue for me.

Until just recently, when how one made ad revenue changed for live streams, Facebook and Twitter would give me added bumps to my live stream as well and help me maximize profits from to. So with all that said I sadly cannot leave social media and have to also keep my image on there spotless.

Also I snapchat because I am a narcissist and like taking selfie and sharing them with friends. :3

Just gotta post in our narcissism thread.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Facebook doesn't show me messages I receive on the website but I receive them just fine on my phone.

That's kind of frustrating.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I used to be cool on tumblr

I never use Facebook unless it's to see cute pictures of my nephews/cousins

Never even tried to tweet

I been tindering recently with p solid results

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    I need to check facebook more often than I do (never) because I have a few friends who will contact me on there, use no other method to try to get in touch and then give up. But I mostly stopped using it because my feed was 100% ether dumb cat pictures and imgr reposts or self important "here's 5 paragraphs on how deep and valuable whatever I'm doing with my life right now is" crap.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Twitter was a main issue for me

I don't follow "non-awesome" people

but those people, inbetween being awesome, sometimes write and retweet things that suck the energy out of me

it's like there's no breathing room

information just gets blasted at you whether you want it or not and you can't tune out

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I moved to Seattle -- a town that is not notoriously social -- almost immediately after getting separated (now divorced) last year.
    Subsequently, I became a bit more active on here (though it's dropped off noticeably), then got on twitter and added some of your from here on to my FB and twitter feeds.
    While I don't like FB or twitter, if I didn't have them, I would have shockingly low interaction with anyone whose name wasn't Netflix.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I miss having a twitter for writing purposes but otherwise I'm off social media and happy about it.