As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hard Drive Thrashing? Maybe?

StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
Okay, so here's a quick rundown of what I'm experiencing.

Issue: Hard drive in Windows 7 64-bit is going completely crazy. Lots of clicking and clanking. Takes forever to load anything, and sometimes it just flat out throws up a BSOD and that's pretty much all she wrote. The system was originally on Windows 8.1 64-bit when this issue started. There was a 1TB SATA drive that began the clicking and clanking, which led me to believe the HDD was about to combust. Well, I snagged a different HDD. I put a new 500GB HDD in the system and figured I would go back to Windows 7 64-bit. So I did. Within a couple hours of getting all of my programs reinstalled, the clicking and clanking began again.

What I've Done: Updated motherboard BIOS. Installed SATA controller drivers (In Win8 and Win7). Fiddled with CMOS settings (things like eXtreme HDD, whatever that is, and SATA mode, AHCI, IDE, etc). I've changed SATA cables. I've changed SATA ports. I've reset the CMOS (many many times).

As I type this, the 500GB HDD is making god awful noises as if the reader head is smacking against the drive casing. I'm at a loss. I've googled and I've googled, but apparently nobody else is having an issue like mine. I'm reaching out and hoping someone can shine some light on this situation. I can't afford to lose my computer since I need it to work from home. What am I missing? Event Viewer in Win8 was throwing up an error along the lines of JRAID Disk0/1/2 not responding, so it shut the disk down. Win7 has no such issues with this new drive, but I'm still getting the same exact issues: loud HDD noises, extremely slow loading, and programs just timing out completely. I don't recall changing anything back in Windows 8.1 to cause this, and considering I've switched HDDs completely, I'm drawing a blank.

StrifeRaZoR.png

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It's possible that you just had two bad drives. You can try getting a new drive. I'd recommend an SSD personally. You'd better performance and not have to worry about this stuff.
    Do you have software RAID or hardware? If it's hardware, it could be that the RAID controller itself is screwed up and doing something terrible to your drives. Try completely disabling it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Right out of the box, hard drives have a non-trivial failure rae. They're *really* sensitive to a lot of things, and are moved by the same shipping people who stacked a refrigerator on top of your wedding china. Warranties honestly don't ask a lot of questions if one fails early because of this.

Multiple hard drive failures could also indicate (in descending order of likeliness):

1. Bad power supply (or possibly just the terminal the drives were on)
    2. Motherboard failure (drive interface)
    3. Environmental factors (heat, dust)

1-2 should be immediate, 3 could show up after days or weeks - a few hours seems too quick, unless things are really awful in there.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Most likely that the hard drives are bad, they really don't do much quality control on hard drive batches anymore as the cost of checking them exceeds the cost of replacing the % of bad ones.

Most Hard drive companies offer advanced RMA where you just provide them the SN and a credit card and then they send you a new hard drive, you pack up the old hard drive in the box they send you and you send it back. Usually the fastest method to getting a replacement. They will put a hold on the credit card until they receive the defective drive.

My recommendation is to replace the HD again, send the 1TB and 500GB HD's back for warranty replacement.

2 is just extremely rare, 3 just shouldn't happen with a good drive quickly unless you are being downright abusive to the drive.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Honestly, 500gb SSDs are reliable and cheap enough now that they're hard not to recommend, especially if you're using a laptop