As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All Dogs Go To Heaven (And Taste Delicious) [movies]

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Imitation Game is ok but there is literally nothing exceptional about any part of it, but it's actually most frustrating that it got so many nods because the narrative that supposedly held back Selma is the "historical inaccuracies" which if you know anything about Turing and the enigma machine and the crypto logic bomb means you know how laughable that is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Selma was really good even if it does lose momentum in the 2nd half. Rambling spoilers to follow.
    I wish they had followed through more on the FBI stuff and King's home/work dynamic. King's character arc kind of peters out and the films central conflict is solved by LBJ meeting with Wallace and basically going "welp, this guy is a completely unreasonable dick, guess I have to step in now". Of course, that's probably the point in that the King's biggest victories were getting (white) people to pay attention to the injustice that they had until then safely ignored. The movie has a whole lot of great moments though. The opening scene of King preparing for his speech followed by the church bombing really set the tone for the entire film in a great way (the tone being buckle up because this movie does not fuck around).

That the Ferguson protests happened only months before this movie came out seems amazing; some parts of the film feel like a direct response.

Also Ava DuVernay got robbed, this movie deserved a Best Directing nom like woah.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I didn't really like Everything is Awesome on its own merits as a song

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Oh man I love it

Specifically formulated to be catchy fluff

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I feel like I'm the only person who actually liked Birdman and was excited to see it cleaned up on nominations.

Also I know it doesn't need to be repeated yet again but the Lego movie got robbed and the academy should be looking at jail time for it.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Birdman was excellent

PSN- AHermano
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed birdman

Take what you know about my film preferences and use them to determine if that reflects positively or negatively on birdman.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Surprised that the imitation game is getting a bunch of stuff. It was kinda a bland movie that refused to really take any stance on any of the issues that it raised, and dealt with what would probably be the most interesting part of the whole thing with two lines of dialogue in voiceover, and some closeup shots of hands writing numbers.

Imitation Game and Theory of Everything are why the term "Oscarbait" exists

Where does that leave Unbroken?

more like Unnominated

:snap:

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Dang. I was really hoping Ralph Fiennes would get nominated for TGBH. He was aces in that film.

rhylith wrote: »
    I feel like I'm the only person who actually liked Birdman and was excited to see it cleaned up on nominations.

Also I know it doesn't need to be repeated yet again but the Lego movie got robbed and the academy should be looking at jail time for it.

Huh, I thought everyone loved Birdman and I was the weird one for thinking it was a shallow wankfest. Fun movie, but completely insufferable (imo of course).

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I want to use the phrase "Oscar winners Tegan & Sara and The Lonely Island"

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    But box trolls is one there

That's only moving parts

Stop motion animation is weird, because it's sort of animation and sort of puppetry and nobody can decide which

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...can't say I'm surprised by the snubs this year, disappointed but not really surprised.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    No nomination for The Lego Movie? Old Rich White Men can't seem to do anything right except screw everyone over.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    No nomination for The Lego Movie? Old Rich White Men can't seem to do anything right except screw everyone over.

Well, they're really good with Force Lightning, that's gotta count for something.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

Huh, I thought everyone loved Birdman and I was the weird one for thinking it was a shallow wankfest. Fun movie, but completely insufferable (imo of course).

hey

hey

I have extremely mixed feelings about Birdman

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm honestly more disappointed in no nomination for Jake Gyllenhaal than The Lego Movie

AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I'm honestly more disappointed in no nomination for Jake Gyllenhaal than The Lego Movie

I'm not more disappointed

but fuckin' A man

can our entire road trip just be talking like Lou Bloom to each other

YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE MONEY

TO BUY A TICKET

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm sure Imitation Game and Theory of Everything are fine movies

But they're certainly not the best movies of the year, and they're playing to the judges so hard by making them about Important People in Important Times doing Important Things while the camera sweeps around them and the music swells

6F32U1X.png
    I'm sure Imitation Game and Theory of Everything are fine movies

But they're certainly not the best movies of the year, and they're playing to the judges so hard by making them about Important People in Important Times doing Important Things while the camera sweeps around them and the music swells

Important White People

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i liked imitation game alright, but yeah

i'm not as bothered by morten tyldum's best directing nod though, i guess just because i really liked headhunters

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    Oh man, Headhunters was ridiculous

I saw a pretty good tweet on my timeline that the academy's main issue with Selma is that it wasn't titled "LBJ"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I can almost guarantee if Selma was from LBJ's perspective it'd be the frontrunner and have several more nominations

6F32U1X.png
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Shows how little I know about any of this crap. I would have bet money on Gone Girl receiving a nomination.

Maximum wrote: »
    Shows how little I know about any of this crap. I would have bet money on Gone Girl receiving a nomination.

too much of a trashy movie

I can almost guarantee if Selma was from LBJ's perspective it'd be the frontrunner and have several more nominations

As VanDerWerff says in his article, imagine the exact same movie but it was directed by Clint Eastwood. It would win every award in a fucking landslide.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Instead of Cameron making avatar 2 can we instead have Ridley Scott direct it and have it be a horror movie?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »
    Instead of Cameron making avatar 2 can we instead have Ridley Scott direct it and have it be a horror movie?

James Cameron's Prometheuses

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Balefuego wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

James Cameron's Prometheuses

This Time, It's War

Ugh. Promethius you could have been so good... But no.

David Fincher's Promethreeus

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    now i really want a reality show that involves plucking cameron and scott from their current projects and wife swapping them

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Promethius Vs Avatar

now i really want a reality show that involves plucking cameron and scott from their current projects and wife swapping them

James Cameron's Leviticus

the "next week, on aliens's' swap" will always end with a quick shot of ridley scott freaking out inside james cameron's little submarine at the bottom of the ocean

f2ojmwh3geue.png
This discussion has been closed.