As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [DOODLE] Thread for the Ages. [NSFW]

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Almost done with the comic but I chose to procrastinate instead.
    tumblr_nhm70tS8cN1s37o1ho1_1280.png

• hamshams Registered User regular
    weirddone_zps119526d2.png

• mullymully Registered User regular
    the face on the left of @hams ' drawing is how i feel about @m3nace‌ 's drawing.

and i love both of these.

edited January 2015
    Dooooooone, with this thing. Just uploaded them as spreads since a lot of the compositions have something to do with the opposite page.
    edit: suggested listening.
    f0t04lanfpni.png
    f2rnje9ubzde.png
    u3voqcb8lece.png
    jiyzedt0u36c.png
    m85bbufnlhqw.png
    pcbcusepjjpi.png
    a2zlnxkzw9a3.png

m3nace on
  • hamshams Registered User regular
    goblin2_zpsd161af90.png

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    This is Torrie from my weds night drawing group.
    Torrie_zps2a89d165.jpg

Here are two things I did while I was in London.
    Elf Fighter
    ElfFighter_zps8960c438.jpg

The Omega Archangel.
    TheOmegaArchangel_zpsc8ada0ea.jpg

Ronin356 on
    Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

Back to drawing weird nonsensical crap.
    2vq8nsoxq5bb.png

• zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    71VHnMu.png

www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
  • OllieOllie Registered User regular
    l30az1a2bkvv.jpg

Wanted a do-over on a really old pen sketch. It was fun!

I have not improved nearly as much as I should have in the time since I did that drawing. That's what happens when you basically quit doing personal art for...oh...7 years. :C

And I don't remember who but someone said they've heard people complain about painting in Manga Studio? I can't imagine why, it's beautifully smooth. Then again, I personally struggle to paint in Photoshop.

• spawnoftheEDspawnoftheED Multimedia Designer New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Ollie wrote: »
    l30az1a2bkvv.jpg

Wanted a do-over on a really old pen sketch. It was fun!

I have not improved nearly as much as I should have in the time since I did that drawing. That's what happens when you basically quit doing personal art for...oh...7 years. :C

And I don't remember who but someone said they've heard people complain about painting in Manga Studio? I can't imagine why, it's beautifully smooth. Then again, I personally struggle to paint in Photoshop.

Wow Ollie, I think that is a major improvement from your original! I definitely wouldn't beat myself up over that. the figure and lines looks great as well as colors. Rome wasn't built in a day. Art is something you just have to keep doing. I know I took a few years off from drawing and personal art. It definitely grounded me for a while and i actually felt i sucked more when i started drawing again and had such a hard time getting over that.

And Manga studio is amazing! I've been using Photoshop and Illustrator for years and i find that it's so much easier to draw, ink and paint in manga studio.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    behold this man
    for he is hella swole

5un79c.jpg

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I still want a coloring book full of @Tam art
    fyi hth

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Couple o' things.
    Still occasionally practicing from still frames.

10634002_698566753594292_1667321416574846964_o.jpg

And here's another sketch of that gruff warrior girl I drew.

character_sketch_dos_by_evansrck-d8dkzja.png?2

• capt.hamcapt.ham Registered User new member
    First post jitters and I'm deathly afraid of breaking rules but all in here is one of many sketches I have.

vp0u0ntujvvx.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    dude, @Juggernut‌, that first one. Loving the quality of that sketch!

@capt.ham Welcome, man. no need for jitters. Looks good, post more!

Capt. Ham, I like it! Please do post more. You can always ask the mods or ask us in the Chat thread if you're worried about rules.

gtod0s9mm7dk.png

This webpage is FANTASTIC for practicing hands and feet. Just gives you random reference shots of hands and feet in various poses, and you can time the images for quick gesture drawings or pause them to focus longer. http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/hands-feet-practice/

@Iruka‌ Thank you so much for the the kind words.
    @Ollie I will keep that in mind about speaking up if I have questions.

You guys are all so nice here. It's a pleasant change of pace.

djahvxa9zzar.jpg

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    We drawin' hands in here? I just finished a little hands study project. About 20 or so of these were done a few months ago. I've been doing a few here and there over the past week. I spent most of yesterday and tonight finishing them off. The first 50 were planar studies that helped to inform the construction of the next 50.

TKRiR5d.jpg

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Just imagine this but with one of your hands edited over top.

Yeeesss, Chico.

N9MG9GQ.png

Sleeeep....

www.stevenzapata.com
    edited January 2015
    Thanks, @Iruka‌

Gonna try and work on layouts and preliminary sketches more so I don't end up scaling and moving halfway through to get everything to fit.

By the way, A most Wanted Man (from which the doodle was doodled) is an excellent movie and everyone should watch it. Especially if you like spy thrillers.

Juggernut on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    JESUS H. Chico!

That's not an exclamation regarding those incredible hand studies, that is your new name.

Chico, I LOVE the shading and details on your hands! As basic as they are, for some reason doing nails throws me off.

Lunch sketch- Arya and the Hound.

re5Yvt7.jpg

www.stevenzapata.com
    Just another ol' sketch. I did this sketch along with the other two I posted as just simple head ons from a small bristol board pad I had panic purchased when I couldn't find the actual sketch pad I was looking for.

8sxzr6tedtda.jpg

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Another one of these planar people portraits. I often wish I could grow a hot bubblegum pink beard.

xGx6P8Z.jpg

Here's another sketch based on Game of Thrones. Robb in the Woods.

Uwie6le.jpg

www.stevenzapata.com
    are you using stills from the show or mental images from the book?

Ollie- I'm listening to the audiobooks now and just letting that guide me.

www.stevenzapata.com
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    some ship doodles before bed.

ships3.jpg

tumblr_ni5vdfTby91qlp4aeo1_1280.jpg

Spent some time tonight studying children's face so I can improve on my Aurora illustration. Just used random photos in Google Image Search results, spent just a few minutes on each to try to get the general feel of how a kid's face is shaped.

Nice. That's probably something I should do as well. Whenever I draw kids from imagination they look like insanely annoying pieces of shit. Granted most kids do, but still.

edited January 2015
    Oh, speaking of drawing children: here's something I did for the past two days. An autobiographical story. You might be confused at first so here's a psa: my brother and I both had long hair and were often mistaken for girls; my mother's name is Alice, we've just never addressed her as "mom."
    9jw6dr0dh67s.png
    zuylwsy0d38m.png

m3nace on
  • EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    l5wgvvam3wt4.jpg

this is how my art schedule feels like a lot at the moment, no time to do any personal work at all.

• ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    Made this Gif to test out some assets for muh space game. I currently only have 3 frames of the ship, top,middle and bottom positions. I'm trying for a rickety space ship going way too fast for it's own good, but this seems even too choppy for that. I've never really done a ship animation before so any advice would be great!

ship1.gif

Menace- You're going places.
    Esiotrot- Same here.
    Obilex- Yaaay animation! I wish I had advice... I have no real world experience with space ships.

Another GoT lunch time sketch. Jon atop The Wall.

9WZduXv.jpg
    -

www.stevenzapata.com
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    zapattack wrote: »
    Another GoT lunch time sketch. Jon atop The Wall.

Zap, I really love all the sketches you post in here. Do you have a website or anything?

You're killing it dude.

From photo ref.
    mje96vt1e9lw.png

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    For the ship animation, I'm not seeing it in three pieces, (unless that is what you ultimately intend and haven't done so yet in this anim)

I'm not an animator, but to me, you'd get more.bang for your buck if you even out the y axis movement. As it is, the ship is almost too spastic. Have you been in a car when the engine shudders? Keep the x axis movement so we know its moving *fast*, but just do two or three jigs up and down close together as if the rocket engine shudders like a car engine would.

Does that make sense or is it wall of text?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN