As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cookie Brigade at PAX South: What do you mean the site is live?

robertrencerobertrence Registered User regular
Well, that was a lot quicker than expected.

Anyways, thanks to the miracles of modern technology (copy/paste) our manifesto is ready to go out at a moment's notice!

In case you haven't heard of us, the Cookie Brigade is made up of three awesome groups of people. Our bakers who provide tasty noms for the many attendees of PAX. Our distributors who will show up where they're least expected to distribute noms, and our organizers, who keep our top secret HQ working smoothly.

If you're not already registered on the Cookie Brigade website please do so ASAP! If you are a first time brigadier please register on our forums and then apply to be a brigadier. Note: You just need an active registration on the forums for access to the application form.

The Cookie Brigade does not sell cookies. We give cookies away for free.

Brigadiers also accept donations to Child's Play, which are entirely voluntary and greatly appreciated!

And it's very convenient to get a cookie and give a donation at the same time.

Starting in 2007, the Cookie Brigade began a mission to give these cookies in exchange for donations to Child's Play, the charity started by Mike and Jerry that provides entertainment to kids in children's hospitals that has recently expanded into domestic violence shelters as well. Since then, we've raised over $115,000 for Child's Play! During our last PAX Prime we raised over $22,300 and we're looking to top that this year!

WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?

Looking to Volunteer? Head to http://cookiebrigade.org/forum for more information!

Looking for some general information? Check us out on the PAX Community Wiki!

You can also find us on the following social media locations,

Twitter: @Cookie_Brigade
G+: Cookie Brigade

And during or pre-pax, feel free to light up the Cookie Signal!

Hashtag: #cookiebrigade

I WANT TO HELP IN THE BRIGADE!

If you're interested in:
  • Baking delicious cookies
  • Distributing to people during PAX
  • Helping organize cookies and distributors

We can definitely use your help! Sign up at our website, http://cookiebrigade.org/forum if you wish to participate in the organizing, baking, and/or distributing!

An important note: due to certain external pressures on the Brigade we have to keep some of our more sensitive planning operations private. If you sign up on the Cookie Brigade website you will have access to our public forums but will need to submit and application to through the site to become a brigadier. Thank you for your understanding!

BASIC BRIGADE GUIDELINES

We give out cookies, we do not sell cookies! We do happily pass donations along to Child's Play, so feel free to give us donations if you want.
Keep it PG and family friendly. We love to give cookies out to kids and as such we ask all brigadiers to remain family friendly with their cookies (sorry no dickerdoodles) and distributing activities!
Have fun and enjoy PAX!

PAX Prime to do list: Tickets: [X] Hotel: [X] Flight: [X] HQ: [X] Nachos: [] Cookies: []
PAX South to do list: Tickets: [X] Hotel: [X] Flight: [X] HQ: [X] BBQ: [] Cookies: []

brigadebanner2013.png

• rrickman9rrickman9 Registered User new member
    Any thought on branching off into the Pan Dulce Brigade(Mexican Sweet Bread). It would seem like a perfect fit in San Antonio.

• HappendyHappendy Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    rrickman9 wrote: »
    Any thought on branching off into the Pan Dulce Brigade(Mexican Sweet Bread). It would seem like a perfect fit in San Antonio.

Not as of 5 minutes ago.
    My mother loves making bread though. Giving her an excuse to bake 50 buns would make her happy for the next 2 weeks. I might give it a test shot this year and see how popular it is.

• aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    I think as long as they are relatively small, can be individually packaged, and can stay fresh potentially for 3 days, then it would be alright to give a shot

fss_overall.png
  • SwordMageSwordMage Registered User regular
    Heee! Cookie Brigade!

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    twitter: SwordMage86
    XBL: SwordMagelet
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    WuShock, brigadier in good standing, reporting for duty and pledging the cubed dozen for PAX South.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• O.F.FascistO.F.Fascist South TexasRegistered User regular
    rrickman9 wrote: »

Maybe pan de polvo would be a good choice too.

http://www.food.com/recipe/pan-de-polvo-mexican-shortbread-27623

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    WuShock wrote: »
    WuShock, brigadier in good standing, reporting for duty and pledging the cubed dozen for PAX South.

Whoah. That's a lotta cookies...

steam_sig.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Whoah. That's a lotta cookies...

One might say it is a gross number of dozens.

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    3 time Brigadier! 2nd most donations at PAX East '12!!! Excited to bring my Cookie Madness down upon San Antonio!!! :)

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    (removed)

MASeffect on
    lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • QuackersQuackers College Student and Code Monkey Orlando FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    is a cubed dozen a dozen cube shaped cookies? or is it 1728 cookies?

Quackers on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    1728 cookies

HI3789R.png
  • Kaollasu78Kaollasu78 Portland, OrRegistered User regular
    Any updates from the brigade? Wondering if bakers are still needed? I'm local (austin) and have always wanted to participate :)

919eoupaoo36.png
    Bakers are always needed! Join at our website to get all the details.

fss_overall.png
  • TomsushiTomsushi Registered User regular
    Woo this sounds amazing, too bad i'm a terrible baker. Will there be a need for any cookie taste testers??? I'd totally be down for that! In any case i'm excited to eat me some cookies and give out donations!

If anyone wants to donate things that aren't cookies, I've made a list of supplies we're looking for here: http://www.cookiebrigade.org/forum/index.php?topic=732.0 Most of it is office supply type stuff we need to keep the brigade running during PAX, but there are some bonus things in there (like if anyone wants to donate to our button/card fund).

Does anyone have any cookie requests? I'll be bringing my oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies and I'm hoping someone in our crew can make/acquire some churros.

HI3789R.png
  • kyan22kyan22 Tucson,azRegistered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    If anyone wants to donate things that aren't cookies, I've made a list of supplies we're looking for here: http://www.cookiebrigade.org/forum/index.php?topic=732.0 Most of it is office supply type stuff we need to keep the brigade running during PAX, but there are some bonus things in there (like if anyone wants to donate to our button/card fund).

Does anyone have any cookie requests? I'll be bringing my oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies and I'm hoping someone in our crew can make/acquire some churros.

Sugar cookies and gingersnap

40 dozen down, 104 dozen to go, but moving at a stately pace. Should get 10 - 20 dozen done today, and about the same tomorrow.

A man, an oven, a dream.

(Actually, more like: A gamer, an achievement, an irrational need to unlock that achievement.)

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

76 dozen down, 68 dozen to go.

A man, a snickerdoodle, a case of black lung disease from inhaling nutmeg.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    76 dozen down, 68 dozen to go.

A man, a snickerdoodle, a case of black lung disease from inhaling nutmeg.

You wont get black lung from nutmeg, but you might get high...

7B14287.png
  • MandizzleMandizzle Registered User new member
    Hey! I tried signing up on the Cookie Brigade page to make cookies for South this year, but haven't heard anything back in over a week. Did I do something wrong = (

I don't see an application from anyone with this user name. Try resubmitting.

HI3789R.png
    Mandizzle wrote: »
    Hey! I tried signing up on the Cookie Brigade page to make cookies for South this year, but haven't heard anything back in over a week. Did I do something wrong = (

and PM Punzie or I for further assistance

fss_overall.png
    96 dozen down, 48 dozen to go.

A man, a spatula, a sponsorship from Ghirardelli.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

111 dozen down, 33 dozen to go.

A man, ...a thing, ....a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

Keep trucking, wushock! You're awesome <3

HI3789R.png
  • zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Wow WuShock, that's awesome. Thank you for your contribution!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    You are amazing!!

144 dozen done.

A man, a whiskey, a good night's sleep.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    Sounds like enough for me, what about everyone else ?

edited January 2015
    PAXcookies1_zps2bbdb842.jpg
    PAXcookies2_zpsdd4eeee1.jpg

So, I was done BAKING last night. Today I finished frosting the last 13 dozen cookies. Now they really are done .... they just need to be bagged, which I'll do in the morning after they have a chance to set up overnight.

The Brigade always needs cookies. I mean ALWAYS needs cookies. Every single PAX that I've been at, the Brigade runs out of cookies. The number of cookies that we can get directly affects the amount of money we can bring in for Child's Play, and since I have the means to make them and transport them, it only made sense that I would make as many as I could - because the Brigade ALWAYS needs cookies.

Anybody reading this who wants to help, do me a favor - do it. One dozen, two dozen, half a dozen, I don't care. Make some cookies and get them to us. Help us help as many kids as we possible can. Even if you can't bake, we need help distributing, even accounting and managing. Anything you could do would help us tremendously.

Thank you for all the kind words. They really did help me push through.

Now, I do something else for a while. :biggrin:

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    I think I have around 500 now, and I have the next 2 days to keep going (I did those 500 in a day. So.) My husband is sort of quietly wondering if we have too many cookies. I told him, before I read WuShock's post above, that I didn't think the Cookie Brigade could have too many cookies. Now I'm sure of it.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Whoever made the molasses cookies, they were awesome! Please let me know if you're willing to share the recipe.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • AlleykatdenAlleykatden Registered User regular
    Yes, the molasses were great. A recipe would be highly appreciated.

If you're referring to the molasses spice ones, those were mine. :) The label would have had my twitter account on it, @StudioSweetSA (I think there were also some rolled cut-out gingerbread cookies, which weren't mine.) Anyway, I'm happy to share the recipe!

8oz (1 cup) virgin coconut oil PLUS 2oz (1/4 cup) lard, room temperature
    OR use 12oz (1 1/2 cups, or 3 sticks) room temperature butter*
    2 cups brown sugar
    2/3 cups unsulfured molasses (not blackstrap)
    2 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    4 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    *1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (the ingredient list said it included nutmeg, and I often put it in, but I actually forgot to for the batches that got distributed this weekend.)
    1 tsp salt
    4 cups flour
    extra white sugar for rolling

*you may ask why, if using butter, there is 12oz, but only 10oz if using coconut oil + lard! It is because butter is approx. 80% fat and 20% water, so when you substitute it with something that is 100% fat (like coconut oil and lard are), you only have to use 80% as much. That is why I weigh my fats, since most cookie recipes call for butter but I bake with a lot of coconut oil and lard (because I cannot eat dairy.) You can use all coconut oil if you are squicked out about using lard, but using a little lard gives them a much better texture, closer to that of butter. If you need to, you can also add a couple tablespoons of water at the end if the dough is a little crumbly (I didn't have to but depending on the climate, etc. I have done so with other cookie recipes.) Of course, if you don't have issues with dairy, just use butter -- I have made them many times with butter before I went dairy free and they are amazing and delicious that way.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together the fat, brown sugar, and molasses. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (except the white sugar). Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix until well incorporated. Dough will be very soft. Scoop out tablespoonfuls into a bowl of white sugar and roll until coated in sugar. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving plenty of space in between (they spread out a lot.) Bake anywhere from 8-15 minutes. I only baked mine for 8, and they stayed soft and chewy. If you bake them longer, they will get crunchy and be like a gingersnap.

Makes about 70 cookies. Recipe can be halved if you want a smaller batch.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I am SO glad there's a substitute for the lard. I was almost all the way through the cookies in the bag and then noticed lard on the label and went D: because I don't eat pork.

Thanks for sharing it!

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    Sure thing! I am glad I included the ingredient labels for everything! :)

edited January 2015
    We rocked this Texas pax thing. Internally, we were aiming and hoping for $5,000 in donations (so we could at least match the inaugural Aus). But you all blew us away and donated double! We raised $10,000 this weekend. Huge thanks to everyone who donated time and/or money! We can't do what we do without you <3

And we are always looking for more volunteers. If you want to help us at a future pax, please hit up our site. We need bakers, distributors, and people to work the admin side as well. If you've ever wanted a break from the crowds and noise of pax, a bit of time in cookie hq could be just the thing ;) www.cookiebrigade.org

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • craigumscraigums Registered User regular
    I love you cookie brigade.