As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[H1Z1] Where the Best Game Mode is Without Zombies

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Aiserou wrote: »
    It's only like a 4gb download.

6gigs, and I cant get more than 250kb/s now cause the load.

so I reiterate, how the hell did these people download it so goddamn fast, and how did enough people download it fast enough to overload the servers.

arghghgh I JUST WANT DOWNLOAD THE GAME.

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    It said it was 6 gigs when I installed but the actual download is 4.2. *shrug* steam doesn't know how to count.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I dled the game, but launch it and the game doesn't make it past the pre-server select screen.

The game doesn't get to the server select screen.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I dled the game, but launch it and the game doesn't make it past the pre-server select screen.

The game doesn't get to the server select screen.

That's the kind of hardcore gameplay that would make Rocket all wet. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    well at least I am not missing anything :D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Holy crap, some French guy managed to log in!

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Goddamn French people

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Goddamn French people

I bet hes enjoying his 10 minutes of internet fame.
    On empty servers.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Aiserou wrote: »
    It said it was 6 gigs when I installed but the actual download is 4.2. *shrug* steam doesn't know how to count.

Well you're downloaded compressed files, then it decompresses them to install.
    Roe wrote: »

Goddamn French people

I bet hes enjoying his 10 minutes of internet fame.
    On empty servers.

He said he's not actually French, it's just that he has a big French audience.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I managed to login too :O

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Waiting to hear how it is.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Ignore this.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    you guys aren't really missing much. i spawned in a forest. the forest had a giant hill in the middle. I climbed the hill. I ran down the hill. While running down the hill, the physics engine thinks running down the hill isn't allowed and shoots me into the air. Fall to my death XD

Also, animals can run through trees. You cannot. Pretty sure zombies can too.

Robes on
  • Options
    Not that I can login to check but is this available for DL on SOE's site. I have all access and really don't feel like paying to give this a go.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Robes wrote: »
    you guys aren't really missing much. i spawned in a forest. the forest had a giant hill in the middle. I climbed the hill. I ran down the hill. While running down the hill, the physics engine thinks running down the hill isn't allowed and shoots me into the air. Fall to my death XD

Also, animals can run through trees. You cannot. Pretty sure zombies can too.

That's early access for you.

• Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Not that I can login to check but is this available for DL on SOE's site. I have all access and really don't feel like paying to give this a go.

I'm not sure, when you download it on steam, you are downloading the whole game. It's not one of those typical scenarios where you just download a launcher that connects to a site to download the game.

• Options
    Fun with early access:
    GHRqvV9.png

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    This guy has been in game for a couple hours:

• Options
    They should have allowed pre-purchasing so they could have had an idea on the number of people and had infrastructure ready to cope instead of being crushed by a massive unexpected surge.

• Options
    New Hardware for the Login server should be online within a half hour, I don't know if that'll make it easier/at all able to sign in though.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I guess... weapons and stuff are in airdrops right now?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »

Just..just pretend you didn't see this buttcleft. just keep calm, just..just press the little X in the upper right.

• Options

Just..just pretend you didn't see this buttcleft. just keep calm, just..just press the little X in the upper right.

Yeah, if you can "buy" weapons, I'm pretty much out. Unless the gameplay is that good.

• Options
    It's more that apparently only cosmetic stuff was supposed to be in them. Or that might just be hearsay.

• Options
    It's more that apparently only cosmetic stuff was supposed to be in them. Or that might just be hearsay.

I'm kind of okay with whatever being in them except weapons.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Esh wrote: »

I'm kind of okay with whatever being in them except weapons.

the weapons are whats causing the uproar because they stated very emphatically multiple times that cash could only buy cosmetics and skins, then after they sold tens of thousands of copies they came out and announce lolnope guns in airdrops.

Also I thought there was going to be random airdrops, in addition to the ones people buy..but it seems like it might only be player ordered drops.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Was watching a stream and one of the streamer's contributors bought him an airdrop

it totally had weapons and a backpack in it

however, it also wasn't like, exclusively his?

like his buddy with him was able to access it too so uh

basically if you call in an airdrop, people could theoretically just gank you for it and take it from you as you're trying to get it

which basically seems like the worst possible implementation of everything

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    Was watching a stream and one of the streamer's contributors bought him an airdrop

it totally had weapons and a backpack in it

however, it also wasn't like, exclusively his?

like his buddy with him was able to access it too so uh

basically if you call in an airdrop, people could theoretically just gank you for it and take it from you as you're trying to get it

which basically seems like the worst possible implementation of everything

it was always the idea that airdrops would be contentious and draw in lots of player attention, and that you may not even get the items from the drop you paid for.

• Options
    @Buttcleft‌ I suppose one thing to consider, is as Pony said it isn't exclusive to you. Also there ARE random airdrops, but you need enough players on the server to make them happen.

Another important thing. It's Early Access still.

• Options
    @Buttcleft‌ I suppose one thing to consider, is as Pony said it isn't exclusive to you. Also there ARE random airdrops, but you need enough players on the server to make them happen.

Nope you need X population to even call in purchased ones.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Trying to login even to SOE's site.. The System has encountered an error. Please come back and try again later. greeeat

Watching some of that French guys feed from earlier.. not liking how the Zombies/dogs whatever that kills you end up running off as soon as you die, maybe that is to curb people training out zombies and dying?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    John Smedley wrote:

We are working hard to solve the login issue and apologize for it. We're debugging a complicated piece of code that is blocking most people from getting in. This is happening while we're being slammed with people trying to login. We're getting there... and I will report back as frequently as I can. In the meantime I'm also trying to weigh in on concerns that have been raised about airdrops. I'm not personally fixing the login server.. we have our best tech people on that and they'll get it done. So don't think we're spending time discussing airdrops and nothing is being done on the servers. The login stuff is our absolute top priority.
    Smed

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I got in once..and got the server browser glitch and crashed.

edit
    managed to get in again..and server browser glitch again. how are people playing this game AND WHY ARENT ANY OF THEM ME.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular

True, but that's not a shield against creating a microtransaction that essentially shortcuts users to an advantage.

The one point I will give them is that airdrops will (hopefully) attract attention and be a bother. We'll see. The fact that the focus of airdrop loot is military gear is fairly disappointing.

This game had so much going for it to be a version of the DayZ genre that wasn't a buggy mess patched over a helicopter sim riddled with hackers. And then they, immediately out of the gate, alienate their fanbase with a cash shop for weapons. Ouch. I was hopeful games like Path of Exile had proved if you treat your players appropriately, they'll gladly kick in money for skins and other cosmetics that don't influence the game but add something to the experience for frequent users.

Hell, I'd prefer a game that remove the microtransactions entirely and charge $30-50 up front. The fact that DayZ is consistently a top seller at $30+, and H1Z1 early access (for $20) was immediately the top seller on Steam today, shows there's clearly a market that is willing to pay up front to get their game.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    Finally was able to login... though it doesn't seem that H1Z1 is currently on the allaccess pass.. either that or I have no idea how to add it.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Speaking of Smedley Talk...

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2skzl5/streamer_just_called_in_an_airdrop_it_dropped/ Threads like this have popped up on the subreddit... and the response?

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/2slbmc/airdrops/
    I'm going to weigh in here on this subject. We've been showing it clearly in all of the streams we have been doing. I made a point of personally doing it during last Friday's streams. We want them to be server events... so we make sure the whole server knows they're coming and I've personally been killed many times after I paid for them myself. So I fundamentally disagree with the argument. In terms of us not being honest about it - untrue to an extreme.

Quoting an 8 month old reddit post after numerous streams and interviews where we've been quite public AND putting it front and center in our "What to expect document" which was right on the purchase page just makes this blatantly unfair IMO. (here's the link - https://www.h1z1.com/dev-updates/h1z1-what-you-can-expect-in-early-access[1] ) or you can just go back to the steam page. So if you think it's P2W don't buy it. Don't play it. But I have to say wait until you've personally tried them before making the call. We included airdrops in both the $20 and the $40 versions just so you could see for yourselves.

But to clear up the misconceptions - 1) You cannot call in airdrops until the servers are 1/4 full. 2) You can't call in airdrops without generating a ton of zombie heat. 3) the airdrops are random in what they deliver. 4) you are not guaranteed to get a single thing out of the airdrop you called in. You could die trying and you're out the money. 5) We fly the plane in very slowly and loudly.. we also stream green smoke from it you can see from very far away. This is all I'm going to say on the subject. We've been straight about it. We've called attention to it publicly and it's something we've decided we want in the game. It makes it more fun. It can shake things up. Please don't judge based on knee jerk reactions. Try it. Or watch more streams with people doing it.
    Now with all that being said - we're going to be making some big changes to them in the next day or so.

1) Dramatically widening the radius they come in - it's too small from what we're observing. 2) Making sure the chance for guns is a much lower chance so they are much more rare. 3) Upping the minimum number of people on a server to even allow air drops. It's set at 50 right now and we're going to at least double it. We are serious about these being server events and contested. 4) Making the plane fly even slower.
    Smed

I had to break that up myself, he posted a big ol' unreadable blob.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've completely and utterly stopped caring about the very idea of "pay to win". Fuck it and fuck all the whiners, it doesn't matter in the slightest. If someone could just straight-up buy any weapon you wanted and as much ammo as you could carry, what the hell does it matter to you? When you suddenly are shot by a dude you never see and die instantly (which is, of course, the whole goal of playing this game), then what difference does the provenance of that bullet make? Are you any less frustrated / turgid because they clicked the "give gun for money" button rather than randomly finding one in a wrecked car due to pure luck?

It's become such a ridiculously knee-jerk reaction that they don't even know what they hate any more. If they can connect-the-dots between money and anything that isn't purely cosmetic they will literally take a shit and then smear it all over the nearest message board. I used the sympathize with the idea, something something fairness something something, but I just don't give a shit. Make a stronger argument as to why it's bad than "people paid money and then maybe they could get something for that money!" please.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    Yeah, I've completely and utterly stopped caring about the very idea of "pay to win". Fuck it and fuck all the whiners, it doesn't matter in the slightest. If someone could just straight-up buy any weapon you wanted and as much ammo as you could carry, what the hell does it matter to you? When you suddenly are shot by a dude you never see and die instantly (which is, of course, the whole goal of playing this game), then what difference does the provenance of that bullet make? Are you any less frustrated / turgid because they clicked the "give gun for money" button rather than randomly finding one in a wrecked car due to pure luck?

It's become such a ridiculously knee-jerk reaction that they don't even know what they hate any more. If they can connect-the-dots between money and anything that isn't purely cosmetic they will literally take a shit and then smear it all over the nearest message board. I used the sympathize with the idea, something something fairness something something, but I just don't give a shit. Make a stronger argument as to why it's bad than "people paid money and then maybe they could get something for that money!" please.

You're at an 11, we need you at about a 5.

Because in a game where firearms (and especially military firearms) are supposed to be rare, making them buyable via a cash shop kinda fucks the idea of the game.

• Options
    Yeah I couldn't disagree more Garthor. A lot of what I kept hearing about the game was that firearms weren't going to be super common, and military stuff even less so. But you see in a stream(of one of the few people able to get in) and the 20k+ people watching blatantly see him get three different military weapons in all three airdrops. That is... definitely an issue, and Smedley himself said they'll be making the chance for firearms much lower. Making the airdrops happen in a far wider range, rather than almost on top of you. And having the whole thing take a little bit longer.

Those are good things. But in the very same post... which is all a big metric tonne wall of text, he basically says "You don't have to play" Which sounds like a DUMB thing for a dev to say.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

You're at an 11, we need you at about a 5.

Because in a game where firearms (and especially military firearms) are supposed to be rare, making them buyable via a cash shop kinda fucks the idea of the game.

On the other hand, having a rare firearm drop into the server, giving everyone a chance to steal it is pretty interesting. It could lead to some really fun fights.

Then again, I'm a bit desensitized by DayZ, where most high end gear was either modded, duped, or found by people server hopping low pop servers.