As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Antonio Restaurant/Dining Suggestions 2015

124»

• Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    I heard San Antonio is know for Breakfast Burritos/Tacos, whats the closest place to the Convention Center within a mile that is a must go?

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »
    I heard San Antonio is know for Breakfast Burritos/Tacos, whats the closest place to the Convention Center within a mile that is a must go?

Taco Haven.

• Options
    xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »
    Honestly for REAL San Antonian tacos, downtown is not the best choice. I say that because most of the best places are the mom and pop shops scattered throughout the city. Downtown is more "touristy" when it comes to stuff like that. The food all over the city is absolutely wonderful, but if you want authentic and cooked with love you wanna go to a place like Taco Taco or Teka Molino.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Options
    JensunamiJensunami TacomaRegistered User regular
    Its off the beaten path (aka not downtown) but my favorite tapas like place in town is called Nosh. They have sister restaurants called the Silo and have some of the best food in San Antonio IMHO. Im taking my brother to Cured saturday night for pork cheek poutine.

• Options
    TheFizz11TheFizz11 Registered User regular
    As a local, I approve of the list so far. I only recommend adding ChaChos (google Monster Kong Nachos and relish in the greasy glory). They have a few locations, are open 24 hours, and have pretty good margaritas. But prepared if you go, it's always noisy, and the drunk crowds at night tend to be a bit rowdy. But I only go when I'm drunk and sharing the nachos with 10 of my closest friends.

• Options
    xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Options
    WickershamWickersham Registered User regular
    Chris Madrid's and Kimura were on the map, but I added Silo and Chacho's.

• Options
    OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    TheFizz11 wrote: »
    As a local, I approve of the list so far. I only recommend adding ChaChos (google Monster Kong Nachos and relish in the greasy glory). They have a few locations, are open 24 hours, and have pretty good margaritas.

We have to stop here everytime we go to San Antonio. The first time we went I had no clue and ordered the Monster Kong Nachos for just myself and my wife. The homeless guys near my hotel ate well that night :)

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    For anyone coming to SA from up north around the Dallas area, stop by the Czech Stop for kolaches on the way. Every time I go out that way I stop there, and so does my family when they come to visit. There's like, two czech bakeries in the area, and the one I'm referring to is NOT the one attached to the huge gas station, it's more of a hole in the wall on the other side of the highway.

In San Antoni, I just went to Mark's Outing this last week for the first time, and I gotta say, the burgers were really good. I mean, that's all they really have but it's downtown and if you like burgers it's worth a look.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    GarcMattGarcMatt San AntonioRegistered User regular
    Add big Lou's and armadillos to the map too

• Options
    TheFizz11TheFizz11 Registered User regular
    GarcMatt wrote: »
    Add big Lou's and armadillos to the map too

Omg yes, big lous and armadillos, and also add lulus cafe and bakery!!

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    I might as well mention it.
    Rosario's. I think this is the best Tex-Mex restaurant in the city. It is a really modern take on TexMex food, but not so out of the norm that my family won't enjoy it. They have nice drink specials for happy hour.

There are two of them. One near the airport off of San Pedro, just north of 410. The other is just south of the convention center on South Alamo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So many places to eat.....

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

• Options
    DevierueDevierue Registered User regular
    What about delivery for the downtown area? Any 24hr or late night options?

• Options
    JensunamiJensunami TacomaRegistered User regular
    This week is also San Antonio Restaurant week. Some places will be having special prix-fixe menus :)culinariasa.org/san-antonio/restaurant-week/

• Options
    TraithTraith Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I'm starting to feel like I have an inadequate number of meal slots on my South trip...

Traith on
    South 2015 Status: [✓] 3-Day Badges [✓] Hotel [✓] Plane Tickets [✓] Time Off [ready] Liver

Attendee:
    Prime: '13
    South: '15
  • Options
    ragnarok628ragnarok628 Registered User regular
    I have 2 walking distance recommendations.

If you are a foodie, I cannot reccomend a dinner at The Monterrey highly enough. Menu changes constantly so I can't tell you what to order, but its going to be amazing whatever you get. Not cheap but very worth it. Last time I checked they do Ramen Thursdays, which is legit ramen with all the meat and stuff in there so that might be a good night to go.

For lunch, there's a German deli called Schilo's. Best wienerscnitzel I've ever eaten, including places in New Braunfels, Boerne, and Fredericksburg. Very reasonable pricing to boot. Easy walk from the convention center.

Unfortunately I do not know of an excellent BBQ place in walking distance. Bill Miller's is actually not bad texas bbq if you're not a total snob about it, so a valid option if you must have BBQ and have to walk.

Most Mexican places have puffy tacos on the menu and from my limited experience they're more or less equally good anyplace. I think puffy tacos are a San Antonio thing because I've never seen them anywhere else. If you want to try one you shouldn't feel like you must travel to Henry's Puffy Tacos, you'll be able to find them in walking distance.

Generally the riverwalk restaurants are a bit lower in quality and a bit higher in price, so I'd avoid unless you really really like to eat near water. Especially the Mexican restaurants for some reason. My theory is they don't have to try hard... So they don't.

• Options
    I have 2 walking distance recommendations.

If you are a foodie, I cannot reccomend a dinner at The Monterrey highly enough. Menu changes constantly so I can't tell you what to order, but its going to be amazing whatever you get. Not cheap but very worth it. Last time I checked they do Ramen Thursdays, which is legit ramen with all the meat and stuff in there so that might be a good night to go.

For lunch, there's a German deli called Schilo's. Best wienerscnitzel I've ever eaten, including places in New Braunfels, Boerne, and Fredericksburg. Very reasonable pricing to boot. Easy walk from the convention center.

Unfortunately I do not know of an excellent BBQ place in walking distance. Bill Miller's is actually not bad texas bbq if you're not a total snob about it, so a valid option if you must have BBQ and have to walk.

Most Mexican places have puffy tacos on the menu and from my limited experience they're more or less equally good anyplace. I think puffy tacos are a San Antonio thing because I've never seen them anywhere else. If you want to try one you shouldn't feel like you must travel to Henry's Puffy Tacos, you'll be able to find them in walking distance.

Generally the riverwalk restaurants are a bit lower in quality and a bit higher in price, so I'd avoid unless you really really like to eat near water. Especially the Mexican restaurants for some reason. My theory is they don't have to try hard... So they don't.

These are already on my list...Im gonna get fat and broke this trip

• Options
    Wickersham wrote: »
    m0nk33 wrote: »
    I have a hard time believing that Luke is not on this list. Great food and the service has been wonderful every time I've been.

Best happy hour in the city.

Added this to my list as well. Thanks again for the Google Map btw it will help me navigate food and bars!

• Options
    My bad, didn't see Schilo's in the op, and thought the Monterrey deserved a stronger plug. Guess I could have read the whole thread but who had that kind of time? :P

• Options
    Jensunami wrote: »
    Its off the beaten path (aka not downtown) but my favorite tapas like place in town is called Nosh. They have sister restaurants called the Silo and have some of the best food in San Antonio IMHO. Im taking my brother to Cured saturday night for pork cheek poutine.

Ooh man I had that pork cheek poutine last time I went to Cured, along with some charcuterie, it was one if the best things that has ever been in my mouth. Very much recommended to anyone reading this if you're going to make it out to the Pearl

• Options
    jrmtz85jrmtz85 Registered User regular
    Jensunami wrote: »

Ooh man I had that pork cheek poutine last time I went to Cured, along with some charcuterie, it was one if the best things that has ever been in my mouth. Very much recommended to anyone reading this if you're going to make it out to the Pearl

While I wouldn't recommend Boilerhouse or Granary (overpriced for what they are in my opinion) or Glorias (overpriced for meh Mexican food) at the Pearl, Cured is definitely great (but pricey nonetheless), and Lick has great ice cream too. They have Local Coffee as well as Lorraine Bakery which are pretty good (the Croque Madame breakfast thing at Lorraine is great).

As for BBQ I had mentioned Smoke Shack which is further up Broadway, but I also wanted to add Augie's as a good alternative as well (had many a rib from there).

And Silo is probably my single favorite restaurant in town, but its definitely pricey, and more "upscale". They have a decent bar downstairs which has live music (haven't been there in a few months but I assume it still does), but its kind of the yuppie bar to go to (I go because I live a block away so its very convenient :) )

• Options
    JT0418JT0418 san antonio, texasRegistered User regular
    First off, avoid the restaurants on the river, a majority are over priced and not worth it. I am trying to give you places where the locals go. I have just put restaurants, if you would like to know about bars/clubs, etc, please let me know and I can add some.

There are several restaurants around the area that I would recommend. I will list them in sections.
    "Southtown"
    Feast - great spot for brunch on Sunday http://www.feastsa.com/
    Hot Joy - Voted one of the top 10 new restaurants in the country http://hotjoysa.com/
    Alamo Eat Street - food truck park
    Rosarios - Excellent Mexican food. http://www.rosariossa.com/homepage.php

"Pearl"
    This is along our riverwalk expansion to the north. Saturday morning they do a farmer's market.
    Cured - My favorite restaurant in this location. Excellent happy hour from 3-6, even on saturday. http://www.curedatpearl.com/
    Granary - Great BBQ, but not your regular BBQ, more high end. http://thegranarysa.com/
    La Gloria - Great Mexican food and strong margaritas. http://chefjohnnyhernandez.com/lagloria/

• Options
    If you want good tacos go to El Milagrito off St Mary's street or this new place called Amaya's tacos off east commerce.

• Options
    Tigre_RoaringTigre_Roaring Greater South Houston areaRegistered User regular
    JT0418 wrote: »
    If you want good tacos go to El Milagrito off St Mary's street or this new place called Amaya's tacos off east commerce.

You know it's probably good when they have "ito" in their name.

Gonna be there all 3 days!

• Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    Just gonna throw out that if you find yourself near the Pearl, The Green is another good place to eat, and very reasonably priced (compared to the other restaurants there, anyway.) They are an all vegetarian place, so that may be a bonus for some and a turn-off for others, but I really enjoyed the portabella burger (and believe me, I love a good beef hamburger) and other omnivores I have spoken to have also enjoyed it.
    http://www.eatatgreen.com/

• Options
    OriginalGamerOriginalGamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I found a Lyft promo code for $10 off your first ride good in San Antonio only. In the app go to settings > payment and use code "INDIEGAME" Be safe and have fun. It's cheaper than a taxi. And Whataburger is not to be missed!

OriginalGamer on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    Everytime I'm in San Antonio, the Guenther House is a must eat. But I love my breakfast.

http://www.guentherhouse.com/

mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    BTW. El Milagrito will deliver food to downtown area for 3$ service charge and you order over 10 dollars worth.

• Options
    chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I know river walk restuarants have cooties, but the chili con carne at Casa Rio was really good and pretty cheap. 24 hrs we found Mi Tierra, Whataburger, and Lulu's cafe. You will find me at one of those after the GoT crawl.

• Options
    chellers wrote: »
    I know river walk restuarants have cooties, but the chili con carne at Casa Rio was really good and pretty cheap. 24 hrs we found Mi Tierra, Whataburger, and Lulu's cafe. You will find me at one of those after the GoT crawl.

If you crave late night pizza, I believe Pizza Classics stays open till 4 or so. They deliver also.

• Options
    jrmtz85 wrote: »
    While I wouldn't recommend Boilerhouse or Granary (overpriced for what they are in my opinion) or Glorias (overpriced for meh Mexican food) at the Pearl, Cured is definitely great (but pricey nonetheless), and Lick has great ice cream too. They have Local Coffee as well as Lorraine Bakery which are pretty good (the Croque Madame breakfast thing at Lorraine is great).

As for BBQ I had mentioned Smoke Shack which is further up Broadway, but I also wanted to add Augie's as a good alternative as well (had many a rib from there).

And Silo is probably my single favorite restaurant in town, but its definitely pricey, and more "upscale". They have a decent bar downstairs which has live music (haven't been there in a few months but I assume it still does), but its kind of the yuppie bar to go to (I go because I live a block away so its very convenient :) )

Agreed re: the Granary. Cured ain't cheap, but nothing is really at the Pearl. Honestly wouldn't even head that way unless you are splurging.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    JT0418 wrote: »
    chellers wrote: »

If you crave late night pizza, I believe Pizza Classics stays open till 4 or so. They deliver also.
    Yep we got pizza from them last night pretty tasty. I checked out Schilo's and it was good. I also walked down to The Friendly Spot for some beers.

kube00 on