As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, December 8, 2014 - Part-Time

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited December 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Unknown User on

• Options
    dmautzdmautz Registered User regular
    I see a sharknado coming to my next game.

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    These are some of my favorite conversations to have when a new edition comes along.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    "How many fish would you expect to command with that?"
    "Well I... I should hope all fish."
    "Here's a description of how often you can command an amount of fish I am not specifying."

Enlong on
  • Options
    GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    wow great point. I forgot to mention that each charge is only good for one fish! Sometimes stuff gets lost in the writing process.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Enlong wrote: »
    "How many fish would you expect to command with that?"
    "Well I... I should hope all fish."
    "Here's a description of how often you can command an amount of fish I am not specifying."

"Here is the answer to a different question from the one we are talking about."

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Is it specifically fish, or does other marine life count?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Gabriel wrote: »
    wow great point. I forgot to mention that each charge is only good for one fish! Sometimes stuff gets lost in the writing process.

Wow, really? Just one fish? Yeah, that is hilariously limited.

• Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well, it is a trident. Three uses per day seems appropriate. What you're asking for is an Omnident of Fish Command.

Viktor Walters on
  • Options
    Well, it is a trident. Three uses per day seems appropriate. What you're asking for is an Omnident of Fish Command.

The other mistake was assuming that "fish" was plural in this case.

• Options
    exup35exup35 Registered User regular
    which fish by the way?? I seem to remember hearing that there was "no such thing as a fish"

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So its power depends entirely on the actual dangerousness of fish in general. If your world is populated by Fiendish-acidbreathing sharks or Krakens or something...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Now is the time to take a real close look at the definition of fish.

Being able to control a goldfish might have humorous application. Being able to control a shark might have some combat application.

But being able to control the Leviathan of the Deeps... that has world changing application.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    krakens are obviously molluscs, and not pisces

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    To be fair, in 4E the Trident of Fish Command would probably either have only one use every 24 hours or one use after every 5 minute rest.

I miss 4E. That is, well-designed 4E.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I miss 4E. That is, well-designed 4E.

Me too. I played a Warden whose whole schtick was pushing/pulling/moving enemies around the battlefield. Memories are a little fuzzy at this point, but I think my At-Will attack was able to push creatures several sizes larger than me 6+ squares. My encounter powers were pushing them closer to 15 squares.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I mentioned this in the cf DnD thread, but as my campaign is based on piracy and most of it is underwater, this item is actually exceptionally good for it. I am literally the edge case that makes this item useful lol.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Friend of mine pointed out that this is entirely dependent on who's got the trident.

When it's a pissed-off merman trying to sink your party's ship, you'll be glad he can only RELEASE THE KRAKEN three times a day.

• Options
    Of course, a pissed-off kraken coming off of mind control isn't likely to discriminate with its rampage.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I actually don't think the spell it casts, Dominate Animals, can even affect a Kraken at all.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LLCLLC Registered User new member
    Summon Bigger Fish.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I have the power to command sea creatures.

*yells off-screen*

"Hey Zoidberg! Get in here!"

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I actually don't think the spell it casts, Dominate Animals, can even affect a Kraken at all.

I don't have the 5e books, but at least in 3e and 4e I'm pretty sure that's the case. Animal is specific catagory/class of monsters, and are defined as not intelligent. Notably, the Kraken is intelligent(3e for sure[21 Int, smarter than a person] and in 4e IIRC) which excludes it from being a true animal.

Best you get is a large squid or shark, which are fairly low level, and I'm going to guess by the time you'd get the trident in game, they're probably not impressive.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    I have the power to command sea creatures.

*yells off-screen*

"Hey Zoidberg! Get in here!"

"Screw you!"

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    While the kraken is not a beast and thus not commandable by the trident, there are still some great options. The killer whale, while not technically a fish, is one. Giant shark is another favorite. And last, but not least, the dread giant seahorse.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The thread in Critical Failures mentioned that it works on any beast with an innate Swim speed.

That opens up the possibilities to Cephalopoda, Cetacea and pinnipeds.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's a pretty good fishing-rod.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That's a good point. A fisherman could make a really good living if they could just command three huge fish a day to jump on their boat.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Friend of mine pointed out that this is entirely dependent on who's got the trident.

When it's a pissed-off merman trying to sink your party's ship, you'll be glad he can only RELEASE THE KRAKEN three times a day.

His doctor may be concerned, however.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    That's a good point. A fisherman could make a really good living if they could just command three huge fish a day to jump on their boat.

I don't know, the last guy who controlled fish they stoned to death.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

to be fair, that happens to Aquaman like every other day.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

to be fair, that happens to Aquaman like every other day.

Superman can be a real dick.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

<insert pot joke>

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tofeitofei Registered User regular
    Was that Thomas Kemper? I haven't seen him for a long time.

• Options
    trident042trident042 Registered User regular
    I feel like this strip is calling me out, perhaps.

This signature now left intentionally blank.