As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer 40,000 encyclopedia?

Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
Is there a nice big encyclopedia type book available for Warhammer 40K? Something similar to the Hyrule Historia or the Assassin's Creed encyclopedias. I've done some searching online with no success. I'm sorta guessing there's really no point to a book like that since the tabletop manuals exist, but I don't have any interest in buying those or playing the tabletop game. ...Well I do, but I don't know how nor do I have the friends to play it with.

Aaaaanyhoo, I figured I'd check here to see if someone knew something I didn't. Basically I'm looking for a nice huge book of pretty Warhammer artwork and information on the different factions/weapons/locations and whatnot.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It's not dead tree, but Lexicanum isn't too bad.

Forge World's Imperial Armour series might fit your bill though, and you can take a look at various factions and conflicts each book describes at http://www.forgeworld.co.uk.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    There's the Lexicanum online, but I think you're out of luck for physical media.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The Lexicanum's pretty cool!

I don't know why I'm such a dumb, but i just now got the idea to check the actual Games Workshop website. These Codex books seem like they're what I'm looking for. Just split up into books for each faction.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I don't know why I'm such a dumb, but i just now got the idea to check the actual Games Workshop website. These Codex books seem like they're what I'm looking for. Just split up into books for each faction.

If you're looking for just the fluff, then the codices will fill you in, but keep in mind that they're about 50 % fluff, with the rest being devoted to the rules for the faction and the statlines for the units/wargear etc...
    The main rule book also has a fair amount of fluff (or it did the last time I bought it, but that's a couple of versions back) that sets up the setting and gives a general idea of what's going on.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

If you're looking for just the fluff, then the codices will fill you in, but keep in mind that they're about 50 % fluff, with the rest being devoted to the rules for the faction and the statlines for the units/wargear etc...
    The main rule book also has a fair amount of fluff (or it did the last time I bought it, but that's a couple of versions back) that sets up the setting and gives a general idea of what's going on.

Newest 3-book set/edition has a book entirely devoted to fluff and the others are models/spreads (each Army at minimum gets a 2-page write up and lots of pretty pictures of the models) and the rules.

newSig.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Not quite what you're looking for, but there is the old "fluff bible" that floats around online and occasionally surfaces on message boards and such.

It's not really an encyclopaedia so much as an enormous unedited mass of background information, most of it dating from the second edition era.

Bear in mind that it is part of the point of the 40k universe that it is sufficiently vast that an idea of "canon" is largely meaningless - the setting will support pretty much whatever kind of story someone wants as long as it's thematically consistent.

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    There's really been no real progression with the story for Warhammer 40k for a decade now. I actually think the last pivotal expansion of lore with the series ended with the City Fighting Codex when the 13th Chaos Crusade invaded the Cadian Homeworld in a bid to invade Terra again, which ended in a "statemate" (controversial in the community). A little sad overall because it would've opened the doors for something really awesome. Especially since the results of the conflict led to Necrons landing on Mars (with rumors that the Machine Spirit/God is actually a C'Tan, Void Dragon I think is its name), Tzeentch Sorcerers breaking into the Black Library, and the fatal flaw in the Golden Throne becoming apparent leading to the inevitable death of the Emperor relatively soon.

GW has since not really done anything with the story and its really stagnated.

Waffles or whatever on